TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Lagunamar [Merged]

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by mariawolf, Oct 6, 2016.

1. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    While it is like Orlando, even Orlando is a hard reservation for weeks 51 and 52. I suspect these weeks book up 12 months in advance.

2. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    I tried moving the check in one day at 364 days out prior to check in. Booked up in less than a day?!?!?! Essentially it booked up just as fast as Hawaii and WSJ and HRA.

3. mjm1

mjm1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Desert Springs Villas I, Ko Olina (EOY), Maui Ocean Club- Lahaina Villas, Destination Club Points;
    Westin Kierland Villas- Annual & EOY
    I have enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you all for sharing your insights. We have been to Cancun once, in 2010, and stayed at the Sands. We are thinking of staying at Lagunamar next late April, which sounds like a nice time to be there. Will definitely keep following this thread.

Best regards.

Mike

4. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    thanks everyone for the restaurant suggestions. I've jotted them all down.
    We go there in 1.5 weeks, can't wait!!!

elleny76 likes this.
  5. pacman777

pacman777 TUG Member

Another restaurant suggestion is Puerto Madero for upscale dining. This is one of my favorite all-time restaurants anywhere. You also get a 10% discount on your bill if you show them your WLR key card.

6. r1lee

r1lee Guest

Resorts Owned:
    WKV, SVV
    El fish fritango. Omg the tuna sashimi is out of this world. Calamari and octopus cappacio were also good. Prices were amazing.

7. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House
    Agree with above and we also love Captain's Cove, great Karioke in the lounge after dinner and a resident alligator

8. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), Aulani, Worldmark
    I see the comment about Cancun booking up quickly during Week 51 and 52 - does that happen during Spring Break week too?

We are thinking about Cancun for March 31-April 7 2018 and curious if this would likely be full at 8 months out.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Best,

Greg

9. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Greg, If I remember correctly, spring break time still had availability inside of 8 months. Though I may not have been looking at specific week you were. I would say that it is still a pretty popular week, but with Spring Break being more of a floating week around the country, demand will be spread out a little more. Though I see that your dates are over Easter. Holy week may have higher demand with Americans and Mexican Nationals. Perhaps others with more experience booking those specific weeks can answer.

10. Tucsonadventurer

Resorts Owned:
    We are here on an explorer package for spring break so it should be doable.

11. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    I believe explorer package is separate inventory.

12. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    I booked 1 Bdrm premium at exactly 8 months for this year March 25-April 1, and a studio for same dates a couple days later. I recall looking out of curiosity at availability for the week after, April 1-8, because that is the K-12 spring break in my area. And there appeared to be pretty good availability. (week of March 26-April 1 is my son's college spring break, but Easter falls much later this year, April 16). There were still units available for March 25, about 7 months out.

I agree with Dioxide that Spring break demand is spread out over a few weeks because of different college and K-12 school district calendars. Still if you know the week you want, I would book at 9 pm Pacific time, at 8 months, to be sure :D.

Hope this helps.

13. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), Aulani, Worldmark
    Thank you all for your help here - once we decide, I will try exactly 8 months out (plus one) at 9pm PT.

Best,

Greg

14. malyons

malyons TUG Member

I was successful booking this exact week for 2017 last year at 8 mos out, with no trouble. Leave in less than 2 weeks!

15. blondietink

blondietink Guest

Only a few weeks left before our visit and I have a grocery question. Love the new grocery stores available near the resort. However, the choice of bacon is severely limited/non existent. Has anyone brought food in their suitcases like we do going to the Bahamas? Would love to bring some frozen bacon with our family of 4. Is it allowed or not?

16. SeattleJohn2

SeattleJohn2 TUG Member

I don't want to start a new thread so will throw out a couple of questions here. (I've read through this long thread pretty thoroughly and picked up a lot of great advice.) We are staying at Lagunamar starting a week from Sunday. My wife and I have three kids (7 months, 7 yo, 9 yo) so will probably spend a lot of time at the pool and beach but we will also want to venture out one or two days.

1) What is the best way to get from the airport to the resort given that we'll have a young baby. (If possible we don't want to drag the carseat along.) We would be happy to pay extra for a direct trip. I think USA Transfers is the one a lot of people recommend.
    2) Is Xcaret worth the trip? Xel-ha? Xplor?
    3) Any restaurants that will have fun stuff for the kids to do? I recall reading about crocs or alligators at one restaurant.

Any other advice for Lagunamar / Cancun with kids?

Thanks!

17. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I am only able to really answer this one. I would definitely recommend USA Transfers. You have to prebook. I think you can also request a car seat, though they can't guaranty that they will have it. DO NOT just show up at the airport without transfers prebooked. If you do, someone will certainly take advantage of you.

18. SMHarman

SMHarman TUG Member

1. USA transfers have a kid car seat option in most vans . You tell them when you book.
    2. Not sure it's worth it with a 7 mo in tow but yes it's worth it mm
    3. Jugo has a view of the dolphin pool at the aquarium

19. Tucsonadventurer

Resorts Owned:
    Captain's Cove also has an alligator that shows up each evening. They are very kid friendly there. Beautiful
    view, lagoon side tables

20. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Are the alligators kid friendly because kids are more tender?

21. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, & Pinestead Reef
    I was thinking of putting in a II OGS for this resort for fall 2018 thru winter 2019. Do you think this is achieveable ?

22. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Fall seems to be a pretty easy exchange. There are a ton of Aug through Nov weeks available as getaways right now for 2017. Though some of this availability may be because of pool closures happening this late summer and fall.

23. Tucsonadventurer

Resorts Owned:
    ha ha . OMG, just reread what I wrote. So to clarify, Captain's Cove is kid friendly. We went there for lunch
    last week and they had a clown making balloon animals, and had a jumping castle in the lounge. Not sure if that is typical
    or it was a special day. The were no alligators around at lunch time . Guess I should proofread my post, you think.

24. triangulum33

triangulum33 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    2005 WKORN
    Hi,
    We are staying at Lagunamar in a few weeks and have a couple questions:

1. Should we rent a car? We are planning on a Cozumel dive as well as a day exploring Cozumel, a possible trip to Xelha/Xcaret and some dinners in Cancun.
    2. Is Xcaret/Xelha worth the cost and travel time? We have a 10yo boy and 8yo girl.
    3. Are the owners updates more pushy than the other properties? Our past experiences in Mexico had somebody trying to hard sell us around every corner.
    4. Any other tips?
    Thanks!

25. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Renting a car may or may not be a good idea. Realize that Cozumel is an Island and will require a ferry ride. You would probably not want to take a rental over and just either rent a car over there or use taxis to get around. I would think using the ADO Bus to get to Playa del Carmen which will go to the bus station in Playa. It isn't far to the ferry terminal from there.

Can't speak to these as we have been to neither.

We found the presentation at the Lagunamar to be very low pressure. The first time we went they didn't even tell us how much the weeks cost.

The Lagunamar is great. Read up in this thread.