• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
I will try to post later today about our "owner update".

I will be interested to hear what they say, especially since we will be there at the end of April/early May.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We're here now, 2nd day, and it's very nice. DH is impressed with connections for TV have HDMI front and center for Roku and other things, compared to other TSs.The larger sizes of dish and laundry detergent is great too.

We signed up for owners update only to get discount on Chichen Itza tour and the $125 credit. DH didn't want to drive.

Weather's great and place is full. My only complaint is the kitchen service for day time is so slow. Both Saturday & Sunday a 45+ min wait for food, ordering at 1:30!

We got a nice villa assignment IMO, bldg 14 top floor. Great view of ocean & beach. I just requested a high floor.
How are the kitchen knives in your unit? Ours, in January, were the cheapest, dullest kitchen knives I have ever found.
I suggested to the general manager that he give one set to his head chef and one set to his wife and ask them to use those knives for a week. Never heard back from that. Perhaps they are not speaking to him? (My only complaint. All else at WLR was excellent.)

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I will be interested to hear what they say, especially since we will be there at the end of April/early May.

They didn't tell us much, especially since we said soon in to the meeting, we weren't going to buy anything. But we were kept there the whole 90 min anyway, mostly talking about the salesman's and our children. All in all, it was more persistent than I thought it'd be.

He brought up once flex options eoy 67,100, for nearly $15K, and about $250+ MF each year. He tried to bring up Hawaii or returning to Lagunamar, but i said i have elderly family to visit in Honolulu each year, and we also have a 3Rd TS on the Big Island. Flex was not something we'd want.

He cut the sales talk short, saying we could finish up early if we gave names and addresses of friends n family to whom VS would send special trial offers to visit the resorts . Next as part of their "process" , he had to get his Mgr to tell us more about new resorts, options etc. He came back after about 10 min, sans mgr, apologizing that his Mgr was busy ;) And proceeded again to give more details about flex, this time with buy in price.

Next came the closer (supervisor) who did seem to be checking things off to 'QA' our sales guy's presentation: SPG points usage with Marriott , SPG credit card, flex etc. He offered an explorer pkg: 7 nite at WLR + 70K points for about $2600. I can't remember if that was for a 2 bdrm. We politely declined and he next asked if we would be interested in getting additional star options within 2 years. I answered no, because with the spinoff with ILG, last year, I'm expecting changes to the star options reservation method, so just waiting to see... He did not respond.

For other locations did not learn much. Only that Cabo, sunset bay WSJ and maybes teamboat opening in 2 months . PV and Poipu kauai next year. Any inaccuracies to this is on my faulty memory , not the salesman's .

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
How are the kitchen knives in your unit? Ours, in January, were the cheapest, dullest kitchen knives I have ever found.
I suggested to the general manager that he give one set to his head chef and one set to his wife and ask them to use those knives for a week. Never heard back from that. Perhaps they are not speaking to him? (My only complaint. All else at WLR was excellent.)

Sorry, We haven't used the knives much or to cut anything fleshy like steaks. So far they seem sharp enuf. We've noticed several smaller things to repair in the unit. But like that the mgmt wants to know enough, to give out a form for guests to inform of needed repairs. We haven'the seen same in other recent TS stays.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Thanks for the info, dsmrp Sandra. Last owners update we attended in Kauai they did not talk about Flex at all. But, they did want us to turn in our SVV towards purchasing Kauai, plus an additional $35,000! Ummm..... no thanks! We did buy an Explorer package a couple of years ago at WLR, but it was half the price you were quoted. Think we will pass on the owners update this time.

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
We were there last week and offered a 1br for $16k with 100k SPG points. They said we could use our WKV Explorer in 2018 as a trade in down payment to $14500. Tempting, but we declined. Very persistent after that. Sale manager pushed, then Rep pushed more after sale manager left. We still left with our 6500 points for the update.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just realized we will be at Lagunamar for Cinco de Mayo. Anybody been here for the holiday? I know all the schools are closed that day, but wondering about celebrations around the resort or in town, if any.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just realized we will be at Lagunamar for Cinco de Mayo. Anybody been here for the holiday? I know all the schools are closed that day, but wondering about celebrations around the resort or in town, if any.
Reading this TripAdvisor thread, it seems to be a non event. I would actually be surprised that schools are closed in Cancun for the day. I would expect a bigger party at your local bar back in the USA than you will find for this day in Cancun. Cinco de Mayo is kind of like St Patrick's Day. As if they need another reason for this, but it is mainly a reason for Americans to go out and drink.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok, looks like a drinkers :) holiday only. Maybe some margaritas on special ..... but that's every day, really, lol!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading this TripAdvisor thread, it seems to be a non event. I would actually be surprised that schools are closed in Cancun for the day. I would expect a bigger party at your local bar back in the USA than you will find for this day in Cancun. Cinco de Mayo is kind of like St Patrick's Day. As if they need another reason for this, but it is mainly a reason for Americans to go out and drink.
September 16 is independence day.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any floor above the fourth is usually good. All will have a view of the ocean.
Beyond that, 1, 9, 14 are nearer the ocean, but also nearer the hot tubs so that noise can travel. 5 and 12 look all the way over the resort to the ocean.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Bldg 2 has great views

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I didn't think that Lagunamar would take requests for specific buildings?

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
Ok, looks like a drinkers :) holiday only. Maybe some margaritas on special ..... but that's every day, really, lol!
We were there for Cinco de Mayo a few years ago - total non-event.

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! We are owners at WLR, but have not been back for many years. (We have used our week in STJ, and Harborside mostly). We are so excited to be back there this summer with our boys who are 14 and 10. Last time we went, we brought lots of lots of frozen meats and groceries to take advantage of the grills and kitchen to curb costs on meals. Is this still allowed (bringing perishables into Mexico)? Any other thoughts on things to do with a tween and teen? We plan to go over to Isla Mujeres (sp??) to do a dolphin swim. Thanks for any advice!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have found conflicting answers to your questions about bringing in food to Mexico. I have seen in print and heard first hand from friends about food being confiscated. I have found websites that state it is ok if it is for personal use or if you have dietary restrictions. Food is pretty reasonable. Costco and Sams club are in Cancun. I found the grocery store downtown to be quite nice. (Better than the one a blocks walk from WLR, but that's my opinion.)

http://rockypoint360.com/what-food-can-i-bring-across-the-border-into-mexico/

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I wouldn't, they are very strict and even have dogs that will sniff out food. There are huge fines if it happens more than once. Make sure to check
their list of acceptable foods before bringing any. There are ample places to shop.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found conflicting answers to your questions about bringing in food to Mexico. I have seen in print and heard first hand from friends about food being confiscated. I have found websites that state it is ok if it is for personal use or if you have dietary restrictions. Food is pretty reasonable. Costco and Sams club are in Cancun. I found the grocery store downtown to be quite nice. (Better than the one a blocks walk from WLR, but that's my opinion.)

The official rules in English

http://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/132085/Products_Version_en_ingl_s.pdf

Or Spanish

http://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attac...roalimentarios_para_importacion_turistica.pdf

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Here is the view from building 12 5th floor 1253.

20170319_094338.jpg

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

I personally have had food confiscated by Mexican customs officials, and it wasn't even persishables or meats or veggies. Rather it was Jiff peanut butter that I brought down sealed from the US. We didn't use it all and given peanut butter prices we decided to take it home with us. Customs took it on the way out, citing "liquid" because it said "creamy" on the outside. Arriving, I know they actively look for perishables if you get searched. If you push the button "red" get ready to lose it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I personally have had food confiscated by Mexican customs officials, and it wasn't even persishables or meats or veggies. Rather it was Jiff peanut butter that I brought down sealed from the US. We didn't use it all and given peanut butter prices we decided to take it home with us. Customs took it on the way out, citing "liquid" because it said "creamy" on the outside. Arriving, I know they actively look for perishables if you get searched. If you push the button "red" get ready to lose it.
That isn't customs that was taking it away, it was the equivalent of the TSA. Since you were able to bring it in, it was fine and customs allowed it to be imported.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
IMO it's 50/50. Likely it's fine to bring in (if not fruit/meat/etc) but the year the dog found the orange my wife forgot to eat on the plane everything else that would have been fine got taken.
Usually the day we arrive we take bus to Walmart and cab back with all we need for the week.
Very easy and not pricey.