• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Questions

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to contribute my two cents. The bus system is great. We used it the entire time we were in Cancun which was for two weeks last June. We did have a shuttle driver pick us up to go to the Ceynotes and some of the ruins. But, the rest of the time, we used the bus and had zero issues. As far as the groceries go, Soriana does deliver, but they stop after 4 PM (if memory serves me right). I also found the selection very limiting or a small amount of choices. It was ok to pick up on restock items. But, we cook a good deal and are "foodies".

I found the best grocery was the one 5-6 bus stops down from the resort in the curve (I just can't remember the name). We packed a large suitcase on the way and took a taxi back (it was cheap maybe $6.00). Ask about the taxi fare in advance. This was a large supermarket with much more of the kind of selections we are used to. It's multi-floored. Like I said, I'm a foodie and we had other family there so we grilled/cooked a good deal compared to most people's vacation experiences. We also liked the Costco for meat and a large birthday cake. That was a long bus ride into downtown and then walking several blocks (we had small kids in tow and never had an issue).
On Soriano. you have to go into a mall to find it. It's on the same side of the street as the resort. I couldn't find it at first and had to ask locals where to find it (they didn't speak English and my Spanish is no muy bueno. So, make sure you look up directions to get there as we did walk around a bit trying to locate the market. The liquor store is close by across the street too. So, it definitely helped to go and restock a few items and replenish our liquor supply.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the grocery store on the curve you referring to is called Selecto. Looked huge from the outside but we never went in. I would shop there next time.

Snowonbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Harborside, Diamond Resorts
We checked into Lagunamar on Sunday. They have put a hold on our credit card and I don't remember that happening in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? It was suggested that we have a hold of $800 but we would only agree to $200.

Saaz124

TUG Member
Reaction score
They put a $200/day authorization through when we checked in for $1200 total. We have had this happen anywhere we have stayed.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I never checked the CC while we were there and do not remember being asked about a hold.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe the grocery store on the curve you referring to is called Selecto. Looked huge from the outside but we never went in. I would shop there next time.

Yes I believe Selecto is correct!

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are specific buildings at the Lagunamar that have the 2 bdr lock-offs or if they are in every building?

Bierhund

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR (x2), SVV
Lagunamar was purpose-built as a timeshare. All rooms in all buildings (including ocean front) are two bedroom lock-offs.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

This store is called Chedraui Selecto. It's almost like a cross between a Target and a Whole Foods. The store is multi-levels and one floor is consumer goods. You can buy clothing, souvenirs, beach accessories, electronics. Then there is the grocery and liquor floor. Excellent selection of every kind of food item you can imagine. Then there's my favoruite part, the food court. Very good food to eat in or take out. Coffee bar and beer and wine on tap. The best part, a beautiful outdoor seating area with a view for the food court. The prices are very good. It's a very different experience from the downtown Chedraui Tulum, where the experience is much more "authentic".

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 9.10.57 AM.png

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chedraui-selecto-cancún-2

There is also a gourmet deli next to Fish Fritanga called Torre La Europea which has a good selection of imported foods, especially cheeses and wines.

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my first time at Lagunamar. Can someone let me know how the studio is stocked in order for me to minimize packing? Are the following included: Laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, plates, silverware, glasses, paper towels, facial tissues, shampoo bottles, soaps? I am excited to go soon. Thank you for your help with this information.

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
All of those are in the studio. Not a full size refrigerator but has an ice maker. Smaller dishwasher with what looked like dishes for 4. 2 comfortable chairs and small table on the patio. Toaster and blender were also in the unit.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
This is my first time at Lagunamar. Can someone let me know how the studio is stocked in order for me to minimize packing? Are the following included: Laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, plates, silverware, glasses, paper towels, facial tissues, shampoo bottles, soaps? I am excited to go soon. Thank you for your help with this information.

The one bedroom units have all of the above.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Just got back 2/3.

Weather first 2 weeks were cool for Cancun, low 70s, but still shorts. Last week was nice with a few showers.

Bus was 12 pesos. Exchange rate was 18.5 pesos per $.

Used Canun taxi for RT, $50 total for private shuttle for 2-3 persons. Taxi from to airport was 350 pesos. You have to wait awhile sometimes at the airport

Buildings 1-5 get a lot of sun. 6-7 not much. 9 sun until about 3.

Sarianos is okay but not as good as Selecto IMO. Sorianos delivers for 30 pesos and tip the delivery person. Note the delivery person will not deliver to your room, rather he meets you at the elevator PB level in the main lobby building.

Costco has Choice and Prime beef. Costco has great frozen salmon filets, Costco can tuna. Like home. SAMs is poorly stocked and selection is limited IMO.

Natura great for breakfast and lunch. Large vegetarian menu and great fresh fruit juice menu, like 20 different ones. oatmeal and muesli great.

Fish Fritanga good choice. Ask for coupon at concierge desk.

Bovino's across from Costco is a Brazilian steakhouse. Go hungry.

Marbella is one of best fresh seafood places. Out of the way. Google it. Same for Va Q Va. A local place and don't be afraid of the neighborhood. We take the R2 to Walmart and then a taxi.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
Does the resort supply tennis racquets and balls?

Owners are supplied balls and racquets Free. Renters pay a fee. No charge for the great miniature golf course. Not sure how good the tennis supplies are. Two courts if my memory is good and lighted I think.

I contacted the concierge desk for this information.

Last edited:

travelplanner70

TUG Member
Reaction score

I forgot to ask if there is a microwave and/or stove top so that I can make breakfast in the studio unit. Thank you.

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
2 burner stove top and microwave are in the studio. no oven

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Since it’s windy, very difficult to play tennis.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
The microwave is also a convection oven.

Sent from my M6 Note using Tapatalk

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the updates and tips.

I may have to check out that mini golf when I am there.

I think we are planning on going to Selecto. I am not sure if we are going to bother with costco. Are the grills busy at night?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Selecto is quite a bit larger than Soriano's, but it is a bit more of a hassle to get to and back due to its location between the divided highway.

IMG_1422.JPG

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Selecto is quite a bit larger than Soriano's, but it is a bit more of a hassle to get to and back due to its location between the divided highway.

View attachment 5654

Thanks for the visual!

We will have the driver take us there, before we check-in. We have a 3 or 3:30 arrival time at the Cancun airport. It will make it easy to swing by prior to checking in at the resort.

Shirtman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
We arrived January 27 for a week at Lagunamar. When we got off the plane(Terminal 3) and went into the arrival customs room it was almost empty. What a shock as we normally arrive about the same time on Saturday's and we have been greeted with a 45 - 1 hour wait for the customs check in. They had some(maybe 20) new Kiosk plus some of the normal lines. Hopefully this is the new norm as we were out in less than 10 minutes. What a nice start for the week. Anybody have a similar experience?