• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar vs The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Last year we really enjoyed Lagunamar and thinking of returning, and was wondering about your thoughts of Lagunamar vs the Westin Resort and Spa. Certainly not an expert on the area, but did enjoy the ease of the Lagunamar location and found the buses really easy for access to restaurants we didn't want to walk to. We'd be relying on nabbing a II exchange; seems like there are more 2BR's available (not a must, although it'd give us the option of inviting friends) at the Resort & Spa, although that may just be when I was looking.
Thanks in advance...

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you need a 2BR you will never find one at Lagunamar in Interval since all units are lockout. If someone has been there recently, I would like to hear more about Westin Resorts and Spa myself. From the Tripadvisor reviews, it seems that the renovations are not completed and that may affect your decision since it is unclear (to me) where an exchanger may end up. It seems that parts of the resort are nice, others still not updated. But again, it is not clear to me if those are people who rent hotel rooms or use 1 or 2 bedroom timeshare condos through Vistana and Interval exchanges.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
If you need a 2BR you will never find one at Lagunamar in Interval since all units are lockout. If someone has been there recently, I would like to hear more about Westin Resorts and Spa myself. From the Tripadvisor reviews, it seems that the renovations are not completed and that may affect your decision since it is unclear (to me) where an exchanger may end up. It seems that parts of the resort are nice, others still not updated. But again, it is not clear to me if those are people who rent hotel rooms or use 1 or 2 bedroom timeshare condos through Vistana and Interval exchanges.
We were able to reserve a 1 bedroom and a studio and they put them together for us at Lagunamar. You can't count on that though. When we were there last Oct there was a lot of seaweed at Westin and it was much better where we were at Lagunamar

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were able to reserve a 1 bedroom and a studio and they put them together for us at Lagunamar. You can't count on that though. When we were there last Oct there was a lot of seaweed at Westin and it was much better where we were at Lagunamar
Using 2 different deposits? I know there’s choose 2, but that’s only limited options closer in, right?
We don’t have to get a 2BR, but always nice to be able to invite friends if it’s an option

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
what time of the year do you plan on going?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
then you may be able to get an additional studio with and AC at Lagunamar. Currently the AC are good until October so you may have to wait for the next ones. I assume your friends do not mind staying in a separate condo and you will have more privacy. I think the 2BD at the Westin Cancun are actually pretty small, about the size of a 1 BD at Lagunamar.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Using 2 different deposits? I know there’s choose 2, but that’s only limited options closer in, right?
We don’t have to get a 2BR, but always nice to be able to invite friends if it’s an option
I believe we booked a studio in II and used an accommodation certificate for the 1 bedroom. We ended up with a great 2 bedroom in building 1 with a ruins and oceanfront view. Maybe we were just lucky and October is a slow month. Even if they can't put them together they try to give you rooms that are near each other

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because Nov and early December are still slow in Cancun, another option is to buy a getaway for your friends, I see they are available for that period. A studio is just $407 (I am platinum) and almost every month Interval has few days when the prices drop by $50-$75.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I actually booked the Westin Resort & Spa back in January for three nights when we extended our stay because of storms back home. However, after reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I booked Lagunamar instead and called the next morning to cancel the Westin Resort & Spa. I wasn't going to take any changes and the location of Lagunamar can't be beat.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I actually booked the Westin Resort & Spa back in January for three nights when we extended our stay because of storms back home. .......( then cancelled )
... the location of Lagunamar can't be beat.

As a option addition - Club Regina - Raintree shares the driveway with Weston Resort & Spa (built this way when the corporate ownership was the same)
We stayed at Club Regina on an RCI exchange in Feb 2015 / at that time the Westin was still all hotel ..
Club Regina did allow us to book extra nights due to a significant dollar savings on flight departure date. .
The location is closer to the airport and is right at the turn around loop for the public busses .
Lagunamar is certainly more central within the Cancun hotel zone .

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone- definitely sounds like we’ll be happier trading in for Lagunamar. The location was super convenient, and sounds like it’s a nicer property overall.