• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lahaina's Front Street

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We've been visiting Lahaina and the Ka'anapali Beach area of Maui for 13 years. For the past several years we go twice a year. Early on we really enjoyed walking down Front Street going in and out of everything from the souvenir shops to the jewelry stores to the artists' studios. Everything seemed so low-key without pressure.

Over the last 3-4 years the atmosphere of Front Street seems to have changed. One is unable to walk past the three or four cosmetic shops without being accosted by their employees trying to give you lotion or spray cologne on you. I almost feel like I'm walking through a marketplace in a border town on the Mexican side of the U.S./Mexican border OR walking by a kiosk in a mall! I have a feeling the frequency of cruise ships is what has caused this change.

To me this change decreases our desire to visit Front Street and therefore decreases the likelihood my dollars are spent on Front Street.

Have others noticed this change in Front Street's ambiance?

ared505

Reaction score
Robert, we, too, are long-time annual visitors for 25 years. With respect, it's just marketing competition and the way of the world. Change happens everywhere--Front Street and in every mall or other collection of similar shops, including where there are no cruise ships. I'm sorry this diminishes your desire to visit Front Street. Walk on by, visit and patronize the shops you've enjoyed for so long. I'm sure they don't want to lose your visits because of your distaste for the cosmetic shops.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think what I notice, that seems different from past visits to Front Street, is the smell of paco lolo ( pot ). That and every one seems younger except the tourists and me, lol.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I think what I notice, that seems different from past visits to Front Street, is the smell of paco lolo ( pot ). That and every one seems younger except the tourists and me, lol.

Bill
Hmm, haven't noticed that. I'll have to be more aware next time we visit. ;)

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been visiting Lahaina and the Ka'anapali Beach area of Maui for 13 years. For the past several years we go twice a year. Early on we really enjoyed walking down Front Street going in and out of everything from the souvenir shops to the jewelry stores to the artists' studios. Everything seemed so low-key without pressure.

Over the last 3-4 years the atmosphere of Front Street seems to have changed. One is unable to walk past the three or four cosmetic shops without being accosted by their employees trying to give you lotion or spray cologne on you. I almost feel like I'm walking through a marketplace in a border town on the Mexican side of the U.S./Mexican border OR walking by a kiosk in a mall! I have a feeling the frequency of cruise ships is what has caused this change.

To me this change decreases our desire to visit Front Street and therefore decreases the likelihood my dollars are spent on Front Street.

It is true about those cosmetic stores being annoying but it's not something that would make me avoid Front St.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I have learned to just wave them away or totally ignore them, and I don't accept any samples. Of course this was after I bought $300 worth of face creams!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Just got back from Maui and visited Front Street a few times. Saw the people at the door of the perfume/cosmetic shops asking if we wanted a sample, but no one ACCOSTED us. That's a bit hyperbolic.

Not sure about your reference to Mexico/border. Was there something else about them that bothered you?

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
I have had the same experience. I was walking with my husband and my son. Some woman appeared out of nowhere and told me that my skin would be rejuvenated...etc. I sat down. Big mistake. I pried myself out but it was worse than a timeshare salesperson who would not take "No" for an answer. I eventually purchased something. I liked it and used it up but wow, I was not prepared for that. The following year, I avoided that part of Front Street. Last year, there was a new high-pressure cosmetics line. They tried to tell me it would be a moment. They offered a free sample. I practically ran out into the street. I am not happy about the change in sales tactics. It used to be a mellow stroll.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Just got back from Maui and visited Front Street a few times. Saw the people at the door of the perfume/cosmetic shops asking if we wanted a sample, but no one ACCOSTED us. That's a bit hyperbolic.

Not sure about your reference to Mexico/border. Was there something else about them that bothered you?

Accost - verb - to approach or address someone boldly or aggressively.

I don't consider my use of the word accost as a bit hyperbolic. In my experience, that is what has happened over the last three years.

As far as my reference to Mexico/border and walking through a marketplace, if you've never experienced it then you would not understand my reference. Those who have experienced it understand it. Those merchants also are aggressive in their sales tactics.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
It is true about those cosmetic stores being annoying but it's not something that would make me avoid Front St.

And I agree nor did I say we would avoid Front Street. I did say it decreases our desire to visit Front Street and that it does but we will continue to visit our favorite Front Street stores.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
And I agree nor did I say we would avoid Front Street. I did say it decreases our desire to visit Front Street and that it does but we will continue to visit our favorite Front Street stores.
I have found that this happens many places now. We find it when walking around Santa Fe, New York City (and probably others). Just smile, say "no thanks" and walk on by.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have any problem saying firmly, "No thank you," but many of these cosmetics hucksters don't give up that easily. Just please don't touch me!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't have any problem saying firmly, "No thank you," but many of these cosmetics hucksters don't give up that easily. Just please don't touch me!
My younger dd got sucked into one of these on Maui, but it was at one of the kiosks at the shopping mall in Kaanapali. I don't know exactly how it happened, but poor kid was stuck with this woman trying out all kinds of stuff on her face. I finally took pity and rescued her.

jestme

Reaction score
This used to happen at the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu as well, but they are not allowed outside of the store they are renting to make their pitch anymore. Now they stand in the doorway. I think there were a number of complaints, or perhaps they accosted a number of employees walking by daily. It does make it uncomfortable when you have to dodge them while trying to relax on vacation. I immediately tell them I bought some yesterday, so I should already look young and soft skinned, can't you tell?
The HHV is all private property, so it makes sense that the HHV can control selling in "public areas" like sidewalks within the village.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stopped going to Front Street. Other than to catch a whale watching or dinner cruise and then a short walk we don't go there to eat anymore.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have stopped going to Front Street. Other than to catch a whale watching or dinner cruise and then a short walk we don't go there to eat anymore.
I could never give up Front Street. Love Kimo's too much.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We have noticed it, too. The last time we were there, my DW got hornswoggled (love that word!) into one of those stores and I waited awhile for her to come out. Finally, after about ten minutes, I went in and *wink, wink* told her we had to leave for our dinner reservation. She was so relieved to have an out to get out of there. As we were leaving, the street front saleswoman looked at me disdainfully and said, "I see that someone doesn't let his wife make her own buying decisions". I looked at her and replied, "Not when she's about to get ripped off, I don't!" I couldn't believe the chutzpah of that saleswoman. The OP is right: the presence of these kinds of stores on Front Street make it seem more like the cheesier parts of Vegas than Hawaii.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We have noticed it, too. The last time we were there, my DW got hornswoggled (love that word!) into one of those stores and I waited awhile for her to come out. Finally, after about ten minutes, I went in and *wink, wink* told her we had to leave for our dinner reservation. She was so relieved to have an out to get out of there. As we were leaving, the street front saleswoman looked at me disdainfully and said, "I see that someone doesn't let his wife make her own buying decisions". I looked at her and replied, "Not when she's about to get ripped off, I don't!" I couldn't believe the chutzpah of that saleswoman. The OP is right: the presence of these kinds of stores on Front Street make it seem more like the cheesier parts of Vegas than Hawaii.
Or just the cheesier parts of Maui. :D