• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lawsuit filed against Marriott hotels [Resort Fees]

Reaction score
The attorney general is saying Marriott is making millions off of mandatory resort fees, kinda like airlines are profiting off luggage fees. It's not that they're charging them, but people see a low room rate, but when they reserve it, they're hit with resort fees that they were not expecting.

TS

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not just Marriott. I find it all the time. Thought I would use reward points on Oahu at Holiday in....$25 resort fee. I think VRBO is the worst. I was looking for My DD's reception near Destin...the rate for 3 nights listed at $205 per night.... Total with all the fees....$1500.... and the fees are undefined....there are cleaning fees but also "owners fees"....I mean isn't the "rent" the owners fee.

It's ridiculous

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
These are all fees that the properties add to limit the amount of commission they have to pay whoever is listing for them. I am sure mother Marriott gets their share, but when a property unloads on Orbitz or Expedia, they don't have to share the portion of the resort fee with those companies.

IMO, resort fees should go. I like the (forced) model of airlines where the price you see is the price you pay.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
These are all fees that the properties add to limit the amount of commission they have to pay whoever is listing for them. I am sure mother Marriott gets their share, but when a property unloads on Orbitz or Expedia, they don't have to share the portion of the resort fee with those companies.

IMO, resort fees should go. I like the (forced) model of airlines where the price you see is the price you pay.
Yes. Any mandatory fees that accompany what is being reserved must/should be shown up front. Some ancillary fees, such as parking/luggage should also be noted up front, if most people are expected to utilize the service. Excluded items that are reasonably expected based on the reservation (lavatory/running water/towels/sheets on beds), should also be noted upfront. Otherwise it's misleading and false advertising IMO.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I can't stand the resort fees, so far I've only encountered them in the US. A trip to the Marriott Pompano Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale last summer found our room not ready despite checking in after 4pm (we had reserved a suite with interconnecting rooms and there wasn't an alternative). We were told that we had to pay the resort fees (we were staying one night) for two days, the fee included use of two beach chairs despite being a family of four however whilst being able to access the beach we wouldn't be able to get back into the hotel without a room key, we would have to rely on someone passing at the right time to hopefully let us in (they woukdn't provide temporary keys) and besides, it was nearly 6pm at this point so a whole day's use of beach chairs had passed. We were also told the fee included a 'complimentary' yoga class. Well it's not complimentary if I have to pay for it and I have absolute zero interest in yoga, why should I be forced to pay for something I have no interest in? We utilised the drinks vouchers. As we were leaving in the morning we had no opportunity to use the beach chairs that we had been charged for and whilst not engaging in yoga I did watch the two guests who did participate.

A complaint was made to Marriott and we were refunded the fees.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the resort fees, so far I've only encountered them in the US. A trip to the Marriott Pompano Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale last summer found our room not ready despite checking in after 4pm (we had reserved a suite with interconnecting rooms and there wasn't an alternative). We were told that we had to pay the resort fees (we were staying one night) for two days, the fee included use of two beach chairs despite being a family of four however whilst being able to access the beach we wouldn't be able to get back into the hotel without a room key, we would have to rely on someone passing at the right time to hopefully let us in (they woukdn't provide temporary keys) and besides, it was nearly 6pm at this point so a whole day's use of beach chairs had passed. We were also told the fee included a 'complimentary' yoga class. Well it's not complimentary if I have to pay for it and I have absolute zero interest in yoga, why should I be forced to pay for something I have no interest in? We utilised the drinks vouchers. As we were leaving in the morning we had no opportunity to use the beach chairs that we had been charged for and whilst not engaging in yoga I did watch the two guests who did participate.

A complaint was made to Marriott and we were refunded the fees.
I totally agree and until this practice stops I will always try to identify and avoid such locations when looking at hotels to book.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vegas Hotels are the worst!! Some of those places charge $19 a night for the room and $49 per night resort fees!! Its absolutely insane.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista

I agree. I also wish car rental agencies would stop with the extra sometimes-hidden fees. If I go to book a car on Avis for, say $260/wk, when I go to complete the reservation it'll show $475 for the rental. At least Hertz and National show both the cost and then the full cost before you select a vehicle, albeit in fine print.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. I also wish car rental agencies would stop with the extra sometimes-hidden fees. If I go to book a car on Avis for, say $260/wk, when I go to complete the reservation it'll show $475 for the rental. At least Hertz and National show both the cost and then the full cost before you select a vehicle, albeit in fine print.
When I book on the Costco Travel site, the total cost is always displayed, including the taxes and fees. However, the additional taxes and fees for rental cars do not go to the rental car companies. Most are taxes and facility charges that local government and airports levy against travelers who don't get to vote on them. Kansas City has among the highest facility fees I've encountered, and the proceeds fund the Sprint Center even though KC has no pro basketball or hockey team.