• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Liability Insurance included in car rental

george12

Reaction score
Hello, I booked a Full Size rental car with Budget Cancun for 10 days, $75 and opted not to purchase the insurance online. (I know, crazy low price) In the Important info section, it specifically states that Third Party Liability insurance in the amount of 750,000 Mexican Pesos($40,000 USD) is already included with the rental. I rented from Budget before with this stipulation and they still insisted I needed additional liability insurance up to 4 million pesos. However, I believe the total rental still cost me about $200 fro 10 days. I was able to negotiate the price and he lowered the price with the insurance. Has anyone else encountered this?

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check with your auto insurance....I have Allstate and they cover rentals....I guess it depends on ur coverage and company...
FYI...I never rent in Cancun...Too many war stories

DRIless

Reaction score
Check with your auto insurance....I have Allstate and they cover rentals....I guess it depends on ur coverage and company...
FYI...I never rent in Cancun...Too many war stories
YMMV but most policies only cover rental in the USA.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Check your credit card(s). Some cover first dollar loss, some just back up your own car insurance, some don’t cover anything.

Cheers

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hello, I booked a Full Size rental car with Budget Cancun for 10 days, $75 and opted not to purchase the insurance online. (I know, crazy low price) In the Important info section, it specifically states that Third Party Liability insurance in the amount of 750,000 Mexican Pesos($40,000 USD) is already included with the rental. I rented from Budget before with this stipulation and they still insisted I needed additional liability insurance up to 4 million pesos. However, I believe the total rental still cost me about $200 fro 10 days. I was able to negotiate the price and he lowered the price with the insurance. Has anyone else encountered this?

Yes, I have had this happen at Budget rental car in Puerto Vallarta a couple of times. The staff claimed I needed to purchase the supplemental liability until I told them we will call the corporate office at which time the manager came over and sent us on our way for the agreed price and conditions.

The only two car rental companies that really haven't tried to upsell me is Avis and Alamo. Both of these companies used low mile cars in excellent condition. Hertz has decent cars but did try the upsell dealio.

The cars I rented from Budget were high mileage and obviously very used.

Rental car agencies in Mexico are required by Mexican law to provide 3rd party liability. Most of the rental companies include a minimal liability coverage in their rate and offer a product called supplemental liability insurance that increases the liability coverage. Some companies, like Alamo, require that the liability insurance is purchased because they are using the higher liability coverage on their cars.

In your case, I think they scammed you into buying the supplemental liability insurance.

I still use the American Express enhanced rental car insurance for the collision damage coverage and decline all other coverage. This year in Puerto Vallarta I used Avis and had no problems renting a very nice low millage mid sized car for the agreed upon price and conditions.

Bill

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
The laws vary in different parts of the world. In Spain, I understand that personal liability insurance is included in the rental price. I think this holds in other part of Europe as well. Comments, anyone?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I was covered in Grand Cayman...But like u say "most policies" only cover in US

My regular car insurance covers rental cars in the USA and Canada. I have whatever Flo has been selling.

Bill

george12

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for your helpful responses. I booked with Budget, Alamo and Dollar and will decide on which one when I'm there.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our platinum AMEX card covers all of the car insurance but not 3rd person liability. We always rent from Hertz and we add the 3rd person liability— it adds $11 a day.