• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Living Half-Time in Ireland Now

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are back & forth depending on commitments back in the US. You see, our Cape Cod place is rented out in the summer and although we have a property manager, we still need to be here at times because of ongoing renovations.

I think May 6th may be a day that we're attending a First Holy Communion for a friend's daughter. Will check with her and get back to you.

It would be fun to see you there. If not, wave at "Ireland's Teardrop" off of our part of the coast.
No worries. I may pick your brain as which shore excursion to pick when bookings open up or maybe it is something we can just do on our own. We are looking forward to seeing beautiful Ireland, yes, we know it is only a slice of Ireland. :)

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey now! That is totally awesome. How exactly is it that you got dual citizenship? I think my grandmother was born in Ireland...

What is the cycling/mtb like? I can no longer go on vacation unless I can ride a bike.

We went to Scotland 2 years ago and Mr H’s comment was, “This is the least pain-in-the-ass place we’ve ever been.” People were just organized, efficient, pleasant and chill. We encountered zero drama or rudeness.

Congrats on making the move!

Thanks !

It's a longish process requiring several original documents (I needed 12), attention to detail and patience. If you can prove your grandmother's Irish birth (I can help you with that), then you qualify. You do not have to, nor is it asked, to renounce you American citizenship. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

I will get you the info on biking. Stay tuned !

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife is a dual Irish-Canadian citizen via her maternal Grandfather. We toured Ireland for a summer, and found the village where he was born, church where he was baptized, etc. Very emotional.

I saw a derelict old Manor house with a grown over for sale sign in one of the nearby towns, and thought "wouldn't that make a lovely inn."

My wife was 5 months pregnant at the time, so not great timing for us to move across an ocean and take up an extensive renovation project in a foreign country, but it has always been in the back of my mind since then.

Anyway, congratulations on what should be a wonderful adventure. Do keep us updated on your house purchase if you can find the time.

Nár lagaí Dia thú

Thank you for sharing and love your sign-off in Irish !

The house we want is up and off from the harbor. This has to be an all cash offer as not being full time residents of Ireland as well as being retired, no bank will give us a mortgage. That's understandable.
Here is a link to a house that we wanted, but it has no ocean view and would require a car, still, like your Manor, we were drawn to it. We call this the "Hobbit House"

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/Coomhola-Bantry-Co-Cork/1221237/

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife needed her grandfather's birth, marriage and death certificates, her mother's birth, marriage, and death certificates, and her birth and marriage certificates.

Interestingly, because she did it before having children, we were able to get Irish citizenship for our children as well. For them all we needed was my wife's certificate of foreign birth registry, and their birth certificates.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

The house we want is up and off from the harbor. This has to be an all cash offer as not being full time residents of Ireland as well as being retired, no bank will give us a mortgage. That's understandable.
Here is a link to a house that we wanted, but it has no ocean view and would require a car, still, like your Manor, we were drawn to it. We call this the "Hobbit House"

That is truly lovely! I hope it works out for you. I love the octagonal design, makes it seem even more pastoral than the setting otherwise would. The bridge and stream are also very neat. I can imagine you taking wonderful walks through the countryside there!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife needed her grandfather's birth, marriage and death certificates, her mother's birth, marriage, and death certificates, and her birth and marriage certificates.

Interestingly, because she did it before having children, we were able to get Irish citizenship for our children as well. For them all we needed was my wife's certificate of foreign birth registry, and their birth certificates.

Yes, it was very involved and all documents need to be official. raised sealed or raised stamped documents. No photocopies or other.

I needed: My birth certificate, my marriage certificate, my divorce decree, name change (back to my maiden name) document, my mother's birth cert, my mother's marriage cert, my Mother's death cert, my Grandmother (my Mother's Mother) birth cert, my Grandmother's marriage cert, my Grandmother's death cert. Also, a notarized copy of my passport, a form witnessed by a lawyer, bank officer, police officer or clergy attesting to knowing me (I chose my own lawyer) with their business card, copies of bank statements, utility bills and a few other incidentals. It took a year.

Note: My Grandmother's birth cert was a long form. Baptismals certs are not acceptable. If the birth cert was not registered, there is a form that can be requested and can be submitted in lieu of.

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Good for you! What an exciting adventure. My DH and I have talked about moving to Ireland for a spell once he retires. It has been fascinating reading your story!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wonderful!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you! What an exciting adventure. My DH and I have talked about moving to Ireland for a spell once he retires. It has been fascinating reading your story!

Thank you. Ask anything you'd like.
If you are thinking of moving to Ireland for any length of time without being a citizen and depending on your visa (long stay visa required for greater than 3 months) you might be required to furnish a statement of worth. I've heard this from others. I'll see what I can find out for you. In the meantime, https://irelandmoveclub.com/

Addendum: https://transferwise.com/us/blog/moving-to-ireland-guide

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The house is LOVELY!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I have distant family there. Supposedly I have cousins who own a pub. I have always wanted to go. My all time favorite pic of my deceased father is of him bending over to smell some flowers in Ireland. We are still several years away from such a trip.

We would love to rent for 6 months to a year to see as much as possible. I have a high school age daughter I have to have fly the nest first. My DH has a decent pension so we will have an income and enough assets that a statement of worth shouldn't be a problem. Interesting to know though! I will check out the link above. Thank you!

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have distant family there. Supposedly I have cousins who own a pub. I have always wanted to go. My all time favorite pic of my deceased father is of him bending over to smell some flowers in Ireland. We are still several years away from such a trip.

We would love to rent for 6 months to a year to see as much as possible. I have a high school age daughter I have to have fly the nest first. My DH has a decent pension so we will have an income and enough assets that a statement of worth shouldn't be a problem. Interesting to know though! I will check out the link above. Thank you!

That's a lovely image of your late Father and the flowers.

The net worth and liquid cash thing came as a surprise to some ex-Pats. I had no doubt that you would be okay, but thought I'd spread the word.

Do you know where the pub is ?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Beaglemom I have to ask, are you bringing dogs with you as you go back and forth? No quarantines bringing pets into Ireland?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thanks !

It's a longish process requiring several original documents (I needed 12), attention to detail and patience. If you can prove your grandmother's Irish birth (I can help you with that), then you qualify. You do not have to, nor is it asked, to renounce you American citizenship. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

My brother said he is going to apply for dual citizenship with Italy since my dad and grandparents were born there. I am not sure how it all works or why he even wants to do it. I don't think he knows either.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother said he is going to apply for dual citizenship with Italy since my dad and grandparents were born there. I am not sure how it all works or why he even wants to do it. I don't think he knows either.

I found Google very helpful with the Irish-US dual citizenship. Then, I read a lot of blogs. Finally, I went onto the Irish Embassy's website (Boston has one) and there was more info, plus, I emailed them with questions. It takes some work to get started and then the process itself, but it was worth it.

I'm sure your brother knows how & where to start. Have to say that I was lucky in that I did not have to speak another language.

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL. I was asking because income requirement is down at the bottom but did not remember seeing "statement of worth". Do they require both?

I don't know as I have citizenship, so was not asked of me. I'd Google that, but what I've heard from non-citizen ex-pats, they had to.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on finding your bliss!

Bliss is right. May I add contentment, peace and tranquility ? I wake up, look out the window and ask myself,"where did all these sheep come from ?". And then I realize that I'm actually in Ireland. Then I walk down to the harbor/harbour and meet the walking group. Then, we gab and walk. From there, it's time for a cuppa. Schull has just about everything; a nice market (with a farmer's market April - October), medical clinic, dentist, library (I'm a card-carrying member !), pubs, restaurants, hairdresser(x2), Catholic Church, florist, shops, thrift shops (to benefit the church missions), Lifeboat Saving Station/Irish Coast Guard, realtor, schools, a little planetarium, and one ATM. Oh, there is a theatre group, too. Lots of "craic" (fun times).

http://www.schull.ie/main-street-schull/
Life is very good.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Thanks !

Damn!

I found a US Census record online. 1940, Brooklyn NY. There they all are, my Dad, his three sisters and his parents. Turns out my grandparents were born in Newfoundland.

What!?

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Damn!

I found a US Census record online. 1940, Brooklyn NY. There they all are, my Dad, his three sisters and his parents. Turns out my grandparents were born in Newfoundland.

What!?

Drat ! You can still come over and bike the Mizen.