• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lockoffs and booking consecutive weeks

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I’m trying to purchase a 2BD lockoff, and think I misunderstood how to book consecutive weeks.

If I want to lockoff and stay at my home resort can I call only at 12 months to reserve week 1 and then try to get week 2 by calling the next week?

I had hoped to call at 13 months and book back-to-back but am guessing I would need a separate deeded unit (I.E. owning two 1BD units)?

Yes I read the ‘sticky’ but am clearly too dense to be certain... :oops:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to purchase a 2BD lockoff, and think I misunderstood how to book consecutive weeks.

If I want to lockoff and stay at my home resort can I call only at 12 months to reserve week 1 and then try to get week 2 by calling the next week?

I had hoped to call at 13 months and book back-to-back but am guessing I would need a separate deeded unit (I.E. owning two 1BD units)?

Yes I read the ‘sticky’ but am clearly too dense to be certain... :oops:

At the Twelve Month mark you can book BOTH halves of your 2 Bedroom Lockoff Ownership.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
At the Twelve Month mark you can book BOTH halves of your 2 Bedroom Lockoff Ownership.

only if you are booking them for the same week. If you want them to be booked consecutively you need to wait until the following week to book the second half.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
only if you are booking them for the same week. If you want them to be booked consecutively you need to wait until the following week to book the second half.
Not true. I’ve booked both halfs of a lockout at 12 months many times.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You are saying many times you have booked 1/2 lockoff for 12 months and the second half at the same time which would be for 12 months plus 1 week?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think this may depend on the property or perhaps a misunderstanding of the rep you talk with. I have seen reports with the Maui properties in the past where people booked consecutive weeks using their lockoff at 12 months.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I think this may depend on the property or perhaps a misunderstanding of the rep you talk with. I have seen reports with the Maui properties in the past where people booked consecutive weeks using their lockoff at 12 months.
If I don't want to wait until the morning to talk to a rep, am I able to lock-off and attempt this type of booking online (at midnight EST)? Or must I always use a rep to do the lockoff and/or consecutive weeks?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If I don't want to wait until the morning to talk to a rep, am I able to lock-off and attempt this type of booking online (at midnight EST)? Or must I always use a rep to do the lockoff and/or consecutive weeks?
Any type of booking where you are booking a week beyond the 12 month mark requires a rep.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
You are saying many times you have booked 1/2 lockoff for 12 months and the second half at the same time which would be for 12 months plus 1 week?
Yes

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have also booked the second half of the lockout myself at the same time, but the second half has always been the direct following week (to give me a two consecutive week stay).

Now, if the second half was to be booked at the 14 month mark then that would not be allowed.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has to be consecutive to do this but it can be done. I routinely book at 14-15 months for multiple weeks starting at 13 months from the first booking day of the week being booked.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, the first week must be booked at the twelve month mark (or 13 if you have the status). Then you can book the rest of your weeks consecutively. In your case, if you book your 1br for 3/1, then you can book your studio for 3/8. You must do this by phone. If you are not enrolled, you will pay a lock off fee. I routinely do 7 weeks from the first date (as Dean does). Have to decide whether to end on a studio or master, but is one of the best features of weeks,

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
yes, the first week must be booked at the twelve month mark (or 13 if you have the status). Then you can book the rest of your weeks consecutively. In your case, if you book your 1br for 3/1, then you can book your studio for 3/8. You must do this by phone. If you are not enrolled, you will pay a lock off fee. I routinely do 7 weeks from the first date (as Dean does). Have to decide whether to end on a studio or master, but is one of the best features of weeks,
I think the difference with you and Dean are that you are doing this with multiple different ownerships. Not a single week that you own and lockoff? If you are making a reservation at 13 months out or "7 weeks from the first date" then you are using multiple ownerships. The question was, can you, if you own only one lock off week book it at 12 months and then for the following week book the other half of your lock off. No other weeks tagged on after or concurrently. The answer seems to be yes, but that isn't provisioned in any of the reservation procedures.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was always told that unless I was combining it with another MVC resort reservation, I had to book the consecutive lockoff and 1BR reservations individually at each 12 month point. I asked a few years ago if I could reserve at 13 months the following: 1BR Ocean Pointe, Studio Ocean Pointe, 2BR Oceana Palms. I was told I couldn't do this at 13 months, but I could do it if the Oceana Palms was the middle week. I'm not aware of any changes in this policy, but haven't tried to do it in the past few years.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t always own multiple weeks. In the beginning we owned one 2br ocean view. Each year (until I bought another week) we booked one week in one bedroom, followed by a week in the lock off. Now that we own a total of four weeks (one is 1br) we stretch it to 7. Never had an issue. When we got our second week, it went to 13 months (no MVCI in those days). In any case as long as your weeks are consecutive or concurrent you can book both at 12 months. You could do this with an extra week, but both have to be at same resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the difference with you and Dean are that you are doing this with multiple different ownerships. Not a single week that you own and lockoff? If you are making a reservation at 13 months out or "7 weeks from the first date" then you are using multiple ownerships. The question was, can you, if you own only one lock off week book it at 12 months and then for the following week book the other half of your lock off. No other weeks tagged on after or concurrently. The answer seems to be yes, but that isn't provisioned in any of the reservation procedures.
That's correct but my info suggests that as long as you are booking consecutive weeks you can do so at 12 months out but you'd have to call to do so otherwise you could only do at 12 months online for each week.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Ah, and this begs the question. I know it is a personal choice thing, but from experience, assuming you have a 2BR and are going to lock off and stay for two weeks, is it better to start in the studio and end in the 1-BR, or the other way around? Is there a prevailing view on this?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, and this begs the question. I know it is a personal choice thing, but from experience, assuming you have a 2BR and are going to lock off and stay for two weeks, is it better to start in the studio and end in the 1-BR, or the other way around? Is there a prevailing view on this?
I prefer the studio the first week, followed by the 1BR. The main reason is to have the washer/dryer for the second week, as well as the full kitchen. It is also easier for me to move up rather than move down.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark

I'm still looking for the prevailing view on if owning the one unit I can call at 13 months or 12. o_O I would personally start in the studio while I have lots of energy and enthusiasm for exploring whatever area I'm in, and then settle into the 1-BR for some relaxation before returning home. I pretty much hate studios though, so want to get it over with!

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'm still looking for the prevailing view on if owning the one unit I can call at 13 months or 12. o_O I would personally start in the studio while I have lots of energy and enthusiasm for exploring whatever area I'm in, and then settle into the 1-BR for some relaxation before returning home. I pretty much hate studios though, so want to get it over with!
No experience with this yet, but it’s been my understanding from the start that the 13-month window is only if you own two or more units. The ability to split one unit into two is not owning two units. So, I’ve understood that I’d be at the 12-month window if I want to split my 2-BR at MOC into a studio for a week and a 1-BR for a week.

As for which to use first, I’d think your reasoning is pretty good. I think I’d want to get the studio “out of the way” while the excitement of being in Maui was fresh. But I’d love to hear from some that have done it both ways and what they thought.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
From a practical standpoint, I like using the studio first because I can travel lighter. Because the second week I can wash my clothes in the one bedroom. Plus, I do not have to bring home dirty clothes.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always take the Studio for the first week then move into the Master. It just seems like an upgrade for the second week.
We regularly book consecutive weeks at 13 months out, but these are separate weeks ownerships.
We have always been told by Owner Services that this is not possible when you lock off a single weeks ownership and you have to wait another week to book the second week with lock offs

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know some have been able to do so but the rules technically require you to be booking from multiple owned weeks to do 13 months out. Just booking 2 weeks using a lockoff from the same unit will not satisfy the 13 month requirement. Even if you own multiple weeks but you're only booking from one owned week, this is still not an option technically. From what I've seen it appears that customer service could actually do this even though it's outside the current rules which is likely why some have reported being able to do so.