• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for a timeshare mentor...[Orange Lake Points]

Kerrbird

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Galveston, Tx
We have bought into a small points package when we were at Orange Lake this last time. We would like to buy Privately to add to our points and just don’t know what we are doing. We want hoard Our points and bank them with ihg so we can travel later and pay now. Can you tell me what to look for on eBay or the marketplace here at Tug? I am scared of making a commitment and it having it not be compatible with our points program. Thanks in advance!

VanX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
Hi,

If you already have a timeshare but just want more points you can likely get them as wanted without buying another membership - to get started.

Then as you learn more you can get confident with additional acquisitions.

Does your timeshare trade on RCI and you want more RCI points ? Or is it a different exchange program?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Don’t know much about Orange Lake but generally speaking it isn’t good value to convert timeshare points to hotel points, which if I understand correctly this is your goal. Is this something that you have done already and gotten good value?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
That can be done. There are 3 resorts where HICV points transfer on the resale market, and lots of posts about them on this board. If you go through the holiday inn threads and read them you'll have a good idea of the situation. If you ask specific questions you'll get lots of information/answers as well. Most of the existing HICV info is in the all other systems board linked above, there isn't one specific to hicv yet.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
We have bought into a small points package when we were at Orange Lake this last time. We would like to buy Privately to add to our points and just don’t know what we are doing. We want hoard Our points and bank them with ihg so we can travel later and pay now. Can you tell me what to look for on eBay or the marketplace here at Tug? I am scared of making a commitment and it having it not be compatible with our points program. Thanks in advance!
If you want to add points via resale, you would need to buy HICV Smokey Mountain, HICV South Beach, or HICV Lake Geneva. These are the less restrictive to buy, and offer everything in the club, but the resale points do not count for preferred membership level. Resale club points are also available through the Land Trust that recently came out, but these are more restrictive to the club.

Like someone mentioned, conversion HICV points to IHG is usually not the best option.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
If you want to add points via resale, you would need to buy HICV Smokey Mountain, HICV South Beach, or HICV Lake Geneva. These are the less restrictive to buy, and offer everything in the club, but the resale points do not count for preferred membership level. Resale club points are also available through the Land Trust that recently came out, but these are more restrictive to the club.

Like someone mentioned, conversion HICV points to IHG is usually not the best option.

Am I reading this correctly??

I own 1 million points and we are platinum elite level
The only level left would be diamond which I do t need although they’ve tried selling me that level so I have enough points for all the kids

Didn’t buy!

That said. If I wanted 2 million points I could obtain the other 500k from one of the mentioned resorts via resale but I would still only be platinum elite correct?

And all other uses of the resale points would work the same as our current points do such as banking. Hotels. Etc. ??

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We own points at OL and convert to IHG. We have127,000 points there is a limit on how many points you can convert in one transaction. I believe it’s 60,000 ?There is a 65 dollar transaction fee for any transaction with HIVC.
Also the points are 5=4 IHG so that is the difference. For RCI is is half value so our 127,000 points are only 63,500 RCI points, we have never put our points in RCI.
The good thing about IHG points is they never expire.
We have also used HIVC points to stay at other HIVC resorts.
We used to own a points and regular week at OL, but now we just have the points week.
Hope I answered your questions?
Silentg

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
That said. If I wanted 2 million points I could obtain the other 500k from one of the mentioned resorts via resale but I would still only be platinum elite correct?

And all other uses of the resale points would work the same as our current points do such as banking. Hotels. Etc. ??

Yes, you would be at the current level if you add points resale.

The resale points purchased at the 3 mentioned Resorts function the same as your points, you can bank, borrow, rent, convert to IHG, but do not quality for elite.

Reale trust points have more restrictions than the 3 resorts, and can not bank, and other restrictions. The trust points are relatively new so I am not familiar with all the restrictions.

A good resale contract at these 3 resorts ranges from $20 to $30 per thousand points. Lake Geneva contracts have MFs per points, unlike the other two that are based on unit size. If you setup searches, you might find great deals as listing agents do not know the value of these units, but it has not been as common as in the past.

Ebay is usually a good place to buy at market price as you would be biding against other people that know the value.

Lastly, if you are looking for another 500k resale, be on the lookout for closing costs. Good case snario is a 176k contact (in 3 years searching for units, I have never seen any lock-off units in the market at the above price), and I have seen companies charging over $1200 in closing costs and fees, so it ads when buying multiple contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Am I reading this correctly??

I own 1 million points and we are platinum elite level
The only level left would be diamond which I do t need although they’ve tried selling me that level so I have enough points for all the kids

Didn’t buy!

Im not sure when you became Elite but you would have been better off not moving to Platinum Elite if you wanted to use more points. As Elite you could rent another Million points a year at .005 a point. Much lower than most maintenance fees. Also you could pick and choose which years you wanted to rent more points and would not be tied into paying the maintenance fees forever.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Im not sure when you became Elite but you would have been better off not moving to Platinum Elite if you wanted to use more points. As Elite you could rent another Million points a year at .005 a point. Much lower than most maintenance fees. Also you could pick and choose which years you wanted to rent more points and would not be tied into paying the maintenance fees forever.

It was last year when we became elite
Didn’t know any of that info at the time. But now that we are we are digging into this more and trying to find out the best ways to use it and how to get the best value for our points

We have been learning as we go and thought we had a pretty good idea how to use this but obviously there’s a lot to learn

Thanks to you and everyone else for the info!!

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
It was last year when we became elite
Didn’t know any of that info at the time. But now that we are we are digging into this more and trying to find out the best ways to use it and how to get the best value for our points

We have been learning as we go and thought we had a pretty good idea how to use this but obviously there’s a lot to learn

Thanks to you and everyone else for the info!!
If you need any other questions answered let me know...I have a pretty good understanding of the HICV system and how to use it.

Cottage lover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday inn Club Vacations orange Lake West and North villages, Cape Canaveral and Ascutney
If you need any other questions answered let me know...I have a pretty good understanding of the HICV system and how to use it.
WE are Premier members and they are trying to get us to buy into a Trust. What can you tell me about the trust. We really don't need more points.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
WE are Premier members and they are trying to get us to buy into a Trust. What can you tell me about the trust. We really don't need more points.

Someone can probably give a better answer on trust points, but maintenance fees could be higher depending on where you own.

Something to be careful is on what they offer. At my last owners update, their offer included then buying my deeded weeks. It was more of a conversion to the trust points, and it was not discussed until I asked why they were giving me a credit on their offer. Many would not want to give up their deeded weeks.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We did buy a very small amount of trust points.
Again. Not 100%. But I think having just a small amount gave us a few perks??

When we originally purchased. We bought a few on eBay. Then brought those in as points with a developer resale purchase

I “ think “ in the end we did a fair purchase.
Just need to learn all we can about how to use it all

Last edited:

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
The trust is just a group of points not associated with any particular deed. The biggest plus to buy is to get into their new platinum membership. For most levels it looks like a bump up from the previous membership but at Elite I dont see the benefit myself.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
We did buy a very small amount of trust points.
Again. Not 100%. But I think having just a small amount gave us a few perks??

When we originally purchased. We bout a few on eBay. Then brought those in as points with a developer resale purchase

I “ think “ in the end we did a fair purchase.
Just need to learn all we can about how to use it all
I did the same thing with ebay. They have since closed that loop hole. You are correct, any purchase now puts you in the platinum levels. I think for most people, platinum is a great advantage. I just dont see it for Elite.

Cottage lover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday inn Club Vacations orange Lake West and North villages, Cape Canaveral and Ascutney
Thank you. That is what we were thinking but wanted to make sure we were not missing anything. We will have another update in November and have to be ready to say NO.

another question. If we choose not to do anything is it difficult for our children to take over our timeshare if they want to when we die. We are Canadian and don't want to force them to if they don't want to and If we put them on the trust I believe they are on the hook.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

Quick ??

We have never used RCI for trading
I know it’s a 2:1 ratio. Question is. When I am on the RCI site and a resort is showing say 150,000 Holiday Inn Club points, is that already converted or would that be needing 300,000 of my HICV points??

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Quick ??

I know it’s a 2:1 ratio. Question is. When I am on the RCI site and a resort is showing say 150,000 Holiday Inn Club points, is that already converted or would that be needing 300,000 of my HICV points??

I booked at last minute deal for 15k in RCI and they deducted 14,695 HICV points from my account. So the amount of points you see, that should be your total HICV points. Oh and the $239 exchange fee.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I booked at last minute deal for 15k in RCI and they deducted 14,695 HICV points from my account. So the amount of points you see, that should be your total HICV points. Oh and the $239 exchange fee.

Thanks!!

I just booked a week through rci and the amount of points listed in the HIVC box was like 150,000 points. So I’m guessing that it took 75,000 HICV points X 2 for the 150k

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
Thanks!!

I just booked a week through rci and the amount of points listed in the HIVC box was like 150,000 points. So I’m guessing that it took 75,000 HICV points X 2 for the 150k

Yes, in a couple of days you can confirm under account summary, my vacation club points, the actual amount.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
then that’s not a bad exchange rate
150k HIVC point for a week 2nr in Hawaii at Hilton

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Quick ??

Yes would already be converted. You actually need 300,000 points to use HICV in RCI. When you deposit your points the value in your account is half. If you trade your points within HICV you get full value of your points. We take short stays at some of the other affiliates with Holiday Inn Club. Been to Cape Canaveral, Myrtle Beach, and going to Oak and Spruce soon. Another thing to consider, we were going to take a cruise with our points but when I checked the Royal Caribbean website, I found a better deal without using my HICV. Most successful converting to IHG, we add reward nights usually at the beginning or end of a timeshare vacation.
Silentg

Last edited: