• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for suggestions: Vistana/Maui vs Marriott/Aruba

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I found Virgin St John and Grand Cayman to have vegetation and forests a bit sparser and drier than Hawaii. So Aruba is much more scrub-bier? with few trees? Maybe more palms? and succulent bushes?
Cacti and Aloe everywhere in Aruba. And of course, the intriguing Divi Divi trees

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
Thank you all for the input. I have more to research and think about, which is why I posted the question in the first place. Time to schedule some more trips!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'm heading to Aruba in November (postponed from April because I was recovering from stupid breast cancer), and I used to own at WKORV-N, so I'll let you know in a few months! Aruba has intrigued me, because so many people I've spoken to absolutely love it. We're staying at the Beach Villas at Divi Phoenix.

https://www.redweek.com/resort/P137-divi-aruba-phoenix-beach-resort

Another consideration for you is to look at maybe another week on another island. Oahu was way too crowded for me and Big Island was too big (lots of driving!), but I'm thinking that Kauai might be a place worth investigating. Or, consider using II to its maximum advantage and explore other places.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The wife and I were planning on starting out KOKOMO vacation. following the lyrics of the song; Aruba, Jamaica, Bermuda, bahama, Key Largo Montego, etc...

Please let me know what you think comparing Aruba to KORV.

Other islands; I agree. Oahu is too crowded, the Big island has a few that I may check into, but again, I am going to an island to BE on an island. the Big island didn;t FEEL like an island. Kauai... nope. been there and it rains WAY too much for me on that island. check the weather and wecams, and it rained on me every day I was there. Plus, the best 'feeling' resort in Poipu was the Hyatt, and the St Regis Princeville is leaving SPG.., so.. no.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Never been to Aruba (too many time zones from Calif. and too long plane ride to visit regularly but hope to visit someday on our own KOKOMO retirement tour.)

Two things below I like about Hawaii. How does Aruba compare?

1) It is safe and you can drive and walk almost everywhere (cannot do this in Mexico and some Caribbean islands freely. Not sure about Aruba.)
2) There are many of things to do besides going to the beach.

One other factor for us: Although we don't mind visiting international locales like Aruba, we prefer to buy TS property that is under U.S. law such as Hawaii because we understand it better than international law. When you go to sell a TS in Aruba, this will be on some U.S. buyer's minds and will limit your buyer pool.

Last edited:

Fredward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin- Lagunamar, Kierland Villas, Marriott- Barony Beach, Aruba Surf Club
We have been going to Aruba for over 15 years (own at the Surf Club) and love it. That said, we are finding that certain time periods there are way too crowded with folks getting up at 5 AM to place their towels on "prime" locations at the pools. We usually go in late November after Thanksgiving, so the crowds aren't quite as bad. If you want to go in the winter months (Jan-Feb), hands down, pick Hawaii. Another consideration- if you're planning to travel with the kids, everyone will need to have a passport. I agree with so many others- check out Aruba before you make a decision.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Another factor to consider: If you have teenagers or college age kids (or they will be such ages in 10 years), the drinking age in Aruba is 18. If they should end up in trouble in Hawaii, they are under U.S. legal system. I always shudder at this thought if something goes awry in Mexico. Aruba is part of the Netherlands so perhaps okay, but I am unfamiliar with their laws and wouldn't want to risk such complications in my life.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I would buy more Hawaii time -- Aruba is wonderful and you can find a way to get there and visit -- it's a very easy II trade in the Fall because they have a number of resorts and it's off-season for their primary clientele (weather is great on the east coast).

We've traded into Marriott Aruba Ocean Club using our Worldmark easily. So I would save your ammunition for a Hawaii week that you want to own personally. You may want to look at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club which is a favorite of mine -- you could buy a 2BR lock-off and sometime there will be a trip just the two of you, and you lockoff your Studio and use it to trade into Aruba one day, paying the unit upsize fee. That would give you Marriott trade preference and for the II upcharge, you could get a one bedroom. Studios are alot more interesting to me now as Traders, since I can upcharge to the 1BR.

The flaw with this theory is that you have to change Maui resorts during your stay. It's an inconvenience to do so, and you may find yourself selling one of them and concentrating on the other. You may wish to buy Nanea for your second week once the prices settle, for that reason alone.

Good luck with your assessment!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Living on the East coast, Aruba is the best destination for us. That said, the decision would be more difficult if we lived on the West coast, since we wouldn't be comparing 11+ hours of flying time to 4 1/4 hours. We own at the Surf Club in Aruba and have been there maybe 20 times, and to Maui OC once.
Here are some comparisons:
- Hawaii is a lush, beautiful tropical island, while Aruba is a desert island. There are some pretty areas, but I won't begin to compare the landscape
- unlike many Caribbean islands, we feel very safe traveling through most areas in Aruba, and do not feel uncomfortable exploring or going outside the resort for dinner, shopping, etc. Feel just as safe walking around there as in Maui
-restaurants- personally, I like the food much better in Aruba. Lots of great restaurants, with several restaurants on the beach. There's a wide variety of choices and I think the price-point for a nice dinner is a little less overall in Aruba.
-weather- for us, this is where Aruba wins hands down. It is below the hurricane belt, and the waters are blue and warm all year round. The weather is consistent. Of course,t here are exceptions, but in about 20 trips we've experienced heavy rain overnight (who cares, we're sleeping) and most trips there will be a 10 minute rainy period once or twice during the week. In all our trips we only experienced one afternoon where it rained for 2 hours straight. Additionally, while some don't like it, we love the constant cooling breeze. I like that when I return to my room I shower because I know I've been in the pool (love the Lazy River) or in the beach, but not because I'm feeling hot and gross.
In contrast, summer in Hawaii (a popular time to go with the kids when they're out of school) is hot, and it can be VERY hot. Just returned from a week in Aruba with the grandkids and the weather was great all week, and easy to run around and play with the little ones. We were in Maui in Dec. two years ago and it rained 6 out of 7 days, with a light to moderate rain for more than half of the days. There were days when we gave up sitting by the pool because even wrapped in a towel it was just too cool and cloudy, when it wasn't raining. Of course, we likely had a bad week weather-wise, but it's not the rare occurrence it is in Aruba. We still had a great week, but it would have been more difficult if we had kids with us because of the weather.
I also think the time of year makes a difference- temps may be similar, but the cooling breezes in Aruba make all the difference. In the summer Hawaii can get very hot, and a typical August week in Aruba is in the high 80's; even if it goes into the low 90's you don't feel like you're roasting. July in Maui can feel oppressive. Winter months are less of an issue.
- snorkeling- easy access off the shore in both locations. In Maui is right by the resort at Black Rock, as well as nearby driveable locations, while at Aruba there's several good snorkeling beaches a few miles away. Snorkelong is amazing in Hawaii but the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean are terrific too.

If distance wasn't an issue, for me the scales would probably tip in favor of Maui, but for my husband I know it would be Aruba hands down. And I think my family is similarly split. Isn't it wonderful to have such "hard" choices? :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Living on the East coast, Aruba is the best destination for us. That said, the decision would be more difficult if we lived on the West coast, since we wouldn't be comparing 11+ hours of flying time to 4 1/4 hours.

Who do you know that reliably services Hawaii from the west coast at just 4.25 hours? In all the years I've visited Hawaii I've only had one flight that quick, and it was when the pilot used discretionary fuel (as per the info they told me on the flight) so he could make a connecting flight to get home that evening, along with a nice tailwind. Usually it's 5-5.5 hours flight time minimum to most destinations to/from the west coast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who do you know that reliably services Hawaii from the west coast at just 4.25 hours? In all the years I've visited Hawaii I've only had one flight that quick, and it was when the pilot used discretionary fuel (as per the info they told me on the flight) so he could make a connecting flight to get home that evening, along with a nice tailwind. Usually it's 5-5.5 hours flight time minimum to most destinations to/from the west coast.

Re-read her post and you will understand that she compares from the east coast to Hawaii (11+) and to Aruba (4.25h) where it's definitively shorter to Aruba and an easy decision but from the west coast to the same destinations, Hawaii and Aruba, the difference would be smaller and the choice would be harder to make.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Re-read her post and you will understand that she compares from the east coast to Hawaii (11+) and to Aruba (4.25h) where it's definitively shorter to Aruba and an easy decision but from the west coast to the same destinations, Hawaii and Aruba, the difference would be smaller and the choice would be harder to make.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, that didn't make sense to me at first.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
:hi:exactly...from NY the direct flight flying time to Aruba is around 4 1/4 hours (of course they build in extra time) and to Hawaii there are no direct flights unless we go to Newark, and those are limited to Honolulu last I checked. I'm guessing for those on the West coast the travel time to Hawaii versus the Caribbean is prob. pretty similar, with Hawaii possibly a bit shorter. Since I don't love long flights, it's definitely a consideration for us. Being able to get somewhere in under 5 hours is a big plus.
There are several Tuggers who live on the East coast who love Hawaii despite the distance and visit regularly, but for us going once or twice a year is a hassle. As I said, there are big pluses to both Hawaii and Aruba, and for a frequent destination I'd be torn if travel time wasn't a consideration, with the scales probably tipping to Maui for me, but other family members would def. choose Aruba.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
:hi:exactly...from NY the direct flight flying time to Aruba is around 4 1/4 hours (of course they build in extra time) and to Hawaii there are no direct flights unless we go to Newark, and those are limited to Honolulu last I checked. I'm guessing for those on the West coast the travel time to Hawaii versus the Caribbean is prob. pretty similar, with Hawaii possibly a bit shorter. Since I don't love long flights, it's definitely a consideration for us. Being able to get somewhere in under 5 hours is a big plus.
There are several Tuggers who live on the East coast who love Hawaii despite the distance and visit regularly, but for us going once or twice a year is a hassle. As I said, there are big pluses to both Hawaii and Aruba, and for a frequent destination I'd be torn if travel time wasn't a consideration, with the scales probably tipping to Maui for me, but other family members would def. choose Aruba.

No, flying to the Caribbean from the west coast is about twice as long due to lack of non stop flights.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
In addition to the flight, the 3 hour time zone difference east makes Aruba more difficult, it is a lot harder to go east and adjust (Aruba), than to go west and adjust (Hawaii). I would much rather have the difficult adjustment on my return home rather than burning precious vacation time. This is one reason we prefer to go to Disneyland vs. Disneyworld as we don't lose time adjusting to the time zone and feeling crappy (zero time zone change :)).

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to the flight, the 3 hour time zone difference east makes Aruba more difficult, it is a lot harder to go east and adjust (Aruba), than to go west and adjust (Hawaii). I would much rather have the difficult adjustment on my return home rather than burning precious vacation time. This is one reason we prefer to go to Disneyland vs. Disneyworld as we don't lose time adjusting to the time zone and feeling crappy (zero time zone change :)).
the time zone is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. I personally prefer to adjust when away because i have a more flexible schedule. I do not like to feel miserable at work upon return

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Choosing based on time zone within the same hemisphere makes zero sense to me but whatever...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Choosing based on time zone within the same hemisphere makes zero sense to me but whatever...

Everyone values vacation time differently. From the west coast that's an 11+ hour flight x2 (outbound/inbound) that requires connections, plus a 3 hour time zone change going east You burn at least 24 - 48 hours of your vacation - missing most of the morning hours of your first 1 - 3 days due to jet lag. If you are a night owl then you will enjoy this. We even thought of using the time zone difference to our advantage by staying out all/most of night at the Disney World parks while it is cool and less crowded. However, I am not sure if Aruba has much to do at night - we are not night club people.

Although I don't mind doing this once or twice, doing this every year to visit our home resort would get tiresome.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Everyone values vacation time differently. That's an 11+ hour flight x2 (outbound/inbound) from the west coast that requires connections, plus a 3 hour time zone change going east You burn at least 24 - 48 hours of your vacation - missing most of the morning hours of your first 1 - 3 days due to jet lag. If you are a night owl then you will enjoy this. We even thought of using the time zone difference to our advantage by staying out all/most of night at the Disney World parks while it is cool and less crowded. However, I am not sure if Aruba has much to do at night - we are not night club people.

Although I don't mind doing this once or twice, doing this every year would get wearisome.

Slightly confusing, since you refer to both Orlando and Aruba yet Orlando is only a ~4.5 hour flight from the west coast. Are you in a small town that requires connections? If not then just make it a priority to fly nonstops...it's usually worth a bit extra (to me).

When I flew to Aruba I stopped in Miami for a couple days first, but that works well for me whenever I go to that region and might not work for you.

I'm not indifferent to time zone advantages, but it's not a significant issue for me (and I can't sleep on planes so when flying to/from Europe or Asia I lose an extra day or two as well just recovering). Flying to Aruba/Caribbean is a pain from the west coast, no question about it. But the time zone is not the problem. For myself, I enjoy Hawaii in part because when it's a three hour difference from the west coast I'm able to work part of the day and most people don't even know I've left town, yet I still have most of the day to enjoy the island.

But if time zone changes impact you this much, then staying in the Pacific zone is a good idea when possible. Lots to see here, too. :)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Slightly confusing, since you refer to both Orlando and Aruba yet Orlando is only a ~4.5 hour flight from the west coast. Are you in a small town that requires connections? If not then just make it a priority to fly nonstops...it's usually worth a bit extra (to me).

When I flew to Aruba I stopped in Miami for a couple days first, but that works well for me whenever I go to that region and might not work for you.

I'm not indifferent to time zone advantages, but it's not a significant issue for me (and I can't sleep on planes so when flying to/from Europe or Asia I lose an extra day or two as well just recovering). Flying to Aruba/Caribbean is a pain from the west coast, no question about it. But the time zone is not the problem. For myself, I enjoy Hawaii in part because when it's a three hour difference from the west coast I'm able to work part of the day and most people don't even know I've left town, yet I still have most of the day to enjoy the island.

But if time zone changes impact you this much, then staying in the Pacific zone is a good idea when possible. Lots to see here, too. :)

OP is asking about pros/cons of Hawaii vs. Aruba. My point is that we talk about flight times, but time zones also matter and this should also factor into a TS selection because you will be returning for the next 10 to 20 years and this could get tiresome. It is simply harder to fly east than west.

If time zones don't impact you, and you believe the time and effort to go the extra distance every year you own a TS is worth it, then go for it. YMMV

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
OP is asking about pros/cons of Hawaii vs. Aruba. My point is that we talk about flight times, but time zones also matter and this should also factor into a TS selection because you will be returning for the next 10 to 20 years and this could get tiresome.

I find all travel, regardless of how short, to be tiresome. :)

It is simply harder to fly east than west.

For you, sure. For everyone? No. I know many who don't care since they have no issues sleeping on planes...I wish I could do that. I just spoke with a New Yorker this weekend at a wedding who used to fly to Europe constantly for work, and told me about her routine when flying east. Many do it often without major issues.

More importantly, it's easy to get a nonstop flight to Hawaii and not true for Aruba. Travel time can easiely be half that to the Caribbean.

If time zones don't impact you, and you believe the time and effort to go the extra distance every year you own a TS is worth it, then go for it. YMMV

Did you see my profile? I own within driving distance, but travel much further frequently. I wouldn't ever own in the Caribbean, but not because it's east of California.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These are all valid points that I am taking into consideration. the flight time IS a concern, especially when travelling with the children. two day sof vacation travelling, then 7 at the resort would usurp most of my annual 2 weeks vacation, while I can get to Maui in half a day.. I love the lush jungle and greenery i Maui as well, that Aruba is lacking. So, my decision will be to buy another week in Maui and use my SPG.Marriott points for a trip to Aruba in the next couple of years. Thank you all for the input. So glad I found TUG, just wish I had before I purchased Nanea fro the developer. However, if I hadn't, all my subsequent vacations would never have happened, so it's still a good thing.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
For you, sure. For everyone? No. I know many who don't care since they have no issues sleeping on planes...I wish I could do that. I just spoke with a New Yorker this weekend at a wedding who used to fly to Europe constantly for work, and told me about her routine when flying east. Many do it often without major issues.

More importantly, it's easy to get a nonstop flight to Hawaii and not true for Aruba. Travel time can easiely be half that to the Caribbean.

Yes there are some who sleep like babies on planes. But it's not just me:

https://www.livescience.com/55378-jet-lag-east-west-recovery.html

I don't see jet lag as the only reason but it is a factor to consider when making a 20 year TS commitment. Time zones are especially difficult, no matter which direction when you have young children. A long flight with stopovers makes this change even worse. For this and many other reasons I would prefer Hawaii. If I lived in Florida or the eastern seaboard, I might look at Aruba differently because it is closer and on the same time zone.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes there are some who sleep like babies on planes. But it's not just me:

https://www.livescience.com/55378-jet-lag-east-west-recovery.html

I don't see jet lag as the only reason but a factor to consider when making a 20 year TS commitment. A long flight with stopovers makes this change even worse. For this any many other reasons I would prefer Hawaii. If I lived in Florida or the eastern seaboard, I might look at Aruba differently because it is closer and on the same time zone.

Sorry if I gave you the impression I wasn't familiar with this issue. My point is still accurate, it's not everyone and we didn't know if that was a factor for the OP. Now we do.

FYI, we've had this same topic many times on TUG. It's logical and common sense to want to travel to a closer destination (in both time and distance), if all else is equal.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
These are all valid points that I am taking into consideration. the flight time IS a concern, especially when travelling with the children. two day sof vacation travelling, then 7 at the resort would usurp most of my annual 2 weeks vacation, while I can get to Maui in half a day.. I love the lush jungle and greenery i Maui as well, that Aruba is lacking. So, my decision will be to buy another week in Maui and use my SPG.Marriott points for a trip to Aruba in the next couple of years. Thank you all for the input. So glad I found TUG, just wish I had before I purchased Nanea fro the developer. However, if I hadn't, all my subsequent vacations would never have happened, so it's still a good thing.

You might also consider advertising for a direct (owner to owner) exchange on Tug ads. I'm sure there is a Marriott Aruba owner who'd enjoy swapping for WKORV. Or use SOs to book a 3 bdrm at HRA and exchange that. Seems like I got tons of offers for HRA.