• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for Thanksgiving dinner at your timeshare? Look no further!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So why buy a prepared meal if it is so easy to cook one at home? I have nothing against others being lazy but a store bought meal is not on my list.

am1 - Read the room - your continuous use of the word "lazy" is offensive.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
am1 - Read the room - your continuous use of the word "lazy" is offensive.

I will be away this Thanksgiving. I'm ordering a precooked turkey from the resort next door and adding a few cans of corn, cranberry sauce, stove top and instant mashed. In the end - honestly I could eat pizza and be fine. It is all about enjoying the people you are with.

Please don't consider/call me LAZY because I choose to do something different than what you do.

Now...if there was only a Costco in Aruba - I would be ALL OVER that link :) Thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Amycurl, and I'm a Costco addict.

But in wandering aimlessly around their website, I discovered this:
https://www.costco.com/Schwan’s-Thanksgiving-Meal,-Serves-8.product.100430420.html

And I thought what a fantastic idea it is was! You could get it shipped directly to your timeshare, and be able to heat everything up in the unit. Brilliant!

And it comes with not one, but TWO pies, AND ice cream!! I have no idea where else you're going to be able to purchase pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 8+ people for under $120 all in.

Costco, is there anything you *don't* think of? ;)

But... gravy?? stuffing?? cranberry sauce? Guess that's what Costco didn't think of!

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never thought to order a heat and serve meal through costco so am grateful for the op's link. This is what I'll hope to do if I find myself in a timeshare over the holidays. Call me as lazy as you want. I don't care, I'm on vacation!

I enjoy the timeshare cooking/eating threads. I've always thought this topic would make for a good forum since I cook differently when at a timeshare. The kitchens have fewer utensils, pots, pans, etc. Not to mention a lack of pantry staples needed for a fancy meal. Who'd want to buy a whole bag of flour just to thicken a gravy, for example? I've also never been to a timeshare with a slow cooker, so I'd have to bring one from home and that's not happening.

When at a timeshare, I do a lot more prepared, heat and serve type things and only make simple, minimal ingredient meals. I also like to have lots of "grab and go" items since we prefer to be out and about when traveling. Also cooking a traditional holiday meal would like roasted turkey requires someone to be stuck in the timeshare keeping an eye on things. I'd rather be at the beach.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never thought to order a heat and serve meal through costco so am grateful for the op's link. This is what I'll hope to do if I find myself in a timeshare over the holidays. Call me as lazy as you want. I don't care, I'm on vacation!

I enjoy the timeshare cooking/eating threads. I've always thought this topic would make for a good forum since I cook differently when at a timeshare. The kitchens have fewer utensils, pots, pans, etc. Not to mention a lack of pantry staples needed for a fancy meal. Who'd want to buy a whole bag of flour just to thicken a gravy, for example? I've also never been to a timeshare with a slow cooker, so I'd have to bring one from home and that's not happening.

When at a timeshare, I do a lot more prepared, heat and serve type things and only make simple, minimal ingredient meals. I also like to have lots of "grab and go" items since we prefer to be out and about when traveling. Also cooking a traditional holiday meal would like roasted turkey requires someone to be stuck in the timeshare keeping an eye on things. I'd rather be at the beach.

Our unit at Smugglers Notch has a slow cooker and at ours at Pollard Brook you can call and ask for one. They keep some in reserve for requests.

Good point about being stuck int he timeshare while the oven is on. Then again, some people might not mind being a couch potato for a day and watching tv- the holiday movies, football, etc.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
But... gravy?? stuffing?? cranberry sauce? Guess that's what Costco didn't think of!
The premade dinner from Sprouts come with all of this. The turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls. The only thing it doesn't come with is a pie.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We only eat white meat, also. You can buy just the breast, though expensive.

DH & DD also love white meat a way more than the dark, but that's ok because I love the dark meat!
We are at a timeshare in FL right now and when getting groceries upon arrival the other day, I picked up at 5lb frozen turkey breast on sale for $0.99/lb. It is in the oven right now! I cheated and bought a box of stuffing and a turkey gravy mix to go with it. There was no roasting pan in the kitchen so DH went over to the office this morning to borrow one. We are off on a day trip tomorrow and taking a picnic lunch. I think there will be lots of turkey leftover for sandwiches -Mmm!

~Diane

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Diane - Next time, get a disposable aluminum roasting pan and then just throw it away! No messy pan to clean! It helps to put something like a cookie sheet or pizza pan under it for stability.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Diane - Next time, get a disposable aluminum roasting pan and then just throw it away! No messy pan to clean! It helps to put something like a cookie sheet or pizza pan under it for stability.

Yes, I thought of that, but I like to make the gravy in the drippings of the pan on a burner & from past experience that doesn't go well in a disposable pan, and I would need to find a cookie sheet or pizza pan as well.
I needed a roasting pan (I prefer a flat open style, with a broiling rack) for pork chops later in the week anyways. This is one of the more poorly equipped timeshare kitchens we have had, at least the office has some of the things missing from the unit.

~Diane

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
It is a combined effort. I cook the turkey breasts in the slow cooker and oversee the rest. Food cooked at home tastes better then store bought. Most likely healthier if one chooses as well. I am not against others being lazy.

Classic arrogance. 10 minutes of work and then sits on his butt watching others do all the real work. Do you also 'oversee' the cleanup? Reminds me of the husband who thinks he does his share of housework because he takes the garbage out.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Classic arrogance. 10 minutes of work and then sits on his butt watching others do all the real work. Do you also 'oversee' the cleanup? Reminds me of the husband who thinks he does his share of housework because he takes the garbage out.

I do a lot more then that. The cleanup up I am breaking down the tables and chairs. I have stated in a previous thread that I am pretty far down the depth chart of washing dishes. Besides that kitchen sink is too low. But on a related note my wife just bought a beach tonwhouse 25 minutes from home. If I am there on my own during the week (10 minutes from my cattle farm) I may be forced to wash dishes.

Doing something that is lazy is not meant to be offensive. It is just not something I would choose in this case. I feel the food and memories mean more if the food is prepared in the home or timeshare or even better if everyone contributes either by cooking at their home and timeshare and bringing it with them or cooked at where the meal will be had. But hey thats just me and what we as a family prefer.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Let me tell you the tale of two siblings. That would be my husband (who is an excellent cook) and his sister (also an excellent cook). We alternate Thanksgivings and Christmas dinners with the inlaws. The years my sil does the dinner, even though other people bring side dishes, she knocks herself out and is exhausted by the time dinner comes. When "we" host we are much more relaxed and can enjoy our family and guests. To each his, or her, own I guess. P.S. I don't think dh's Sprouts Thanksgiving dinner tastes any worse, or better, than when his sister does it.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The premade dinner from Sprouts come with all of this. The turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls. The only thing it doesn't come with is a pie.

And of course Marie Callendar's started as a pie shop, so Thanksgiving in a box comes with apple or pumpkin. Last year if you ordered early you got a second pie for free. And we have been known to add a pecan pie too. Five people don't need three pies!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
And of course Marie Callendar's started as a pie shop, so Thanksgiving in a box comes with apple or pumpkin. Last year if you ordered early you got a second pie for free. And we have been known to add a pecan pie too. Five people don't need three pies!

Need should never even be considered in a decision over pies.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Need should never even be considered in a decision over pies.

Years ago there was a Cathy cartoon where it is the end of the workday and people are going out the office door. "I'm going to run 3 miles" says one. "I'm going to the gym" says another. "I'm meeting my personal trainer" says the third. Cathy, holding the door open for her departing co-workers, says "Doesn't anyone eat pie anymore?". We love that to the point we call all sweets pie. Last night we had the kind of pie you take out of the freezer and scoop into a bowl. Tomorrow morning we'll have the kind of pie that has cheese or apricot filling (we stopped at Alpine Village for German sausage and potato salad on the way to Worldmark Pismo today; had to buy "pie" too).

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanksgiving pie to people ratio should be at least one to one, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thanksgiving pie to people ratio should be at least one to one, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can have my pie if I can have your potatoes, gravy, and stuffing.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love Costco. One of my favorites is to pick up a Prime Tomahawk steak (only available on weekends) at Costco on the way out of town to put on the grill at my favorite WorldMark resorts for dinner that night, with all the trimmings.

I am not sure about lazy, but a reheated from frozen Holiday dinner is just sad. Might as well just buy a frozen Marie Calendar's Roast Turkey Dinner for everyone (they are actually not bad and much cheaper than $$115!!!!). If for some reason you cannot cook a fresh Holiday dinner in your condo, then at least find a reputable restaurant where a chef will cook your fresh Holiday meal. C'mon, it's a Holiday.

P.S. I will be smoking a "chilled" not frozen turkey, pressure cooking and whipping the mashed potatoes, preparing the classic French's green bean casserole (upgraded with reduced white wine, sautéed mushrooms and special seasonings), aaaand baking the two pumpkin pies, because that is what a Holiday dinner is all about. My wife will make a Southern jello salad of some kind.

I just hate when corporations commercialize Holidays, but there is a market …

and profits to be made.

Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Folks: the ignore list is your friend.
Sometimes someone you might want to ignore actually makes a good post. You never know.

Disagreement is no reason to ignore; chronic stupidity is a very good reason, and there are a few.

So I read, then (usually) ignore.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Funny story, for years mom cooked thanksgiving dinner from scratch. It was actually very good but my sister always complained about something, turkey too dry, not tasty, stuffing too fatty, etc. mom was always frustrated by her remarks.

One year I told mom rest as she sprained her wrist, no need to cook. I am going to get the pre cooked Shoprite supermarket thanksgiving dinner. Mom was horrified but reluctantly agreed but told me I can’t tell my sister and have to throw out the evidence.

So my sister thought I cooked it from scratch and had nothing bad to say and told mom you need to learn to cook it like this.

For years mom mom kept saying your sister doesn’t know the difference between a great home cooked turkey dinner and junk. For years my sister told me that Thanksgiving meal I made was the best she ever had.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This year at home, as in the past, I will make the turkey (in the oven bag) and one or two sides and my SIL will make some sides- maybe a pie. They will bring wine, but I have tons of wine here and other alcohol, including beer and local Angry Orchard Hard Cider. My son will bring the beer he wants to drink. Will be somewhere between 6-8 of us, depending on whether or not a boyfriend and a girlfriend come.

I also have frozen some deserts- brownies and cookies from my party this past weekend- and will maybe take those out. I could bake a Member's Mark pumpkin pie I also have in the freezer.

My SIL will contact me before hand to plan so we don't overdo it or have doubles of anything.

Our two families are low key. We like to relax and talk. I don't worry too much about clean up- can do later on or the next day. I watch the Macy's parade in the morning. They will come around noon and leave in the early evening, probably staying at a local bed and breakfast nearby (their choice- they like their privacy) and they will do some sightseeing in the area the next day on their own or just go straight home from there.

Our son will hit the mall the next day with my husband (who just tags along to be with him), I don't do Black Fridays- except on line if I even feel like it. Actually- this year will be limited XMAS gifts as I am not working.

My husband and I won't exchange. Money for my son and my niece with maybe one other thing for them to open and gift of food to be delivered to my brother and his wife. That's it. I don't do cards either.

We will travel up to New Hampshire and stay at an Common Man Inn in the town where our son lives. They have a nice indoor pool and hot tub there and a wonderful ambience for XMAS throughout the place. We will be eating out for XMAS EVE and XMAS Day. We go home the day after XMAS. Just have to hope the weather is ok for driving, which is usually a little challenging up there.

I am into simplicity and the less stress the better.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Reading this thread made me hungry. I decided to give Patti a treat. So yesterday I cooked a Turkey Breast for dinner. Sides were mashed white potatoes, mashed Yams, Lima beans, and Turkey Gravey. After dinner I did all the dishes. Patti greatly enjoyed it. Normally in our home the person that cooks does not do the dishes.

As for pies we find that almost all purchased pies are too sweet, except for the Costco Pumpkin pies. So when we want a pie I bake it. Also our Costco (I assume others also) has started offering mashed potatoes made in the store for the Holiday season. They are actually very tasty especially when you add sour cream, which we also add to our home made mashed potatoes. They really help when you are having a dinner party. Then you can concentrate on such items as home made Yorkshire Pudding.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Reading this thread made me hungry. I decided to give Patti a treat. So yesterday I cooked a Turkey Breast for dinner. Sides were mashed white potatoes, mashed Yams, Lima beans, and Turkey Gravey. After dinner I did all the dishes. Patti greatly enjoyed it. Normally in our home the person that cooks does not do the dishes.

As for pies we find that almost all purchased pies are too sweet, except for the Costco Pumpkin pies. So when we want a pie I bake it. Also our Costco (I assume others also) has started offering mashed potatoes made in the store for the Holiday season. They are actually very tasty especially when you add sour cream, which we also add to our home made mashed potatoes. They really help when you are having a dinner party. Then you can concentrate on such items as home made Yorkshire Pudding.

I agree about the Costco mashed potatoes. They are pretty good, and at least for me making the potatoes is such a last minute thing that it kind of stresses me out, mostly because my kitchen is a little tight in the prep area. Too many cooks in the kitchen at the last minute!

Speaking of Costco, last year I had a dinner party (bunco gals - no foodies) and for one of the side dishes I bought the Costco premade scalloped potatoes and put them in a Christmas baking dish before baking. They were fabulous. People were asking for my recipe and I told everyone that all they had to do was buy them in the two pack at Costco. I would have no problem serving these alongside my homemade dinner, and I am fussy about premade food.