• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for Thanksgiving dinner at your timeshare? Look no further!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
This will be my second post-separation thanksgiving without the kids. Last year the shock was still pretty new, so I slow-roasted some ribs and just hung out alone. This year, I'll be inviting some of the guys from my fellowship group who are also flying solo. I'd bet if you asked around, you'd probably find folks who you'd love to have join you and would be happy to do so.
I agree. We usually don't have our kids either because they want to do Christmas at our house. Sometimes we go over to a friends Thanksgiving get together which is fine, sometimes we have some friends over which is fine too. If you live near a military base you can invite some service members over. We did that last Christmas and it was great. I thought it would feel a bit awkward but it was like have friends of our kids over and we really enjoyed having them around. Since I have always had the traditional family holiday it pushes me out of my comfort zone to do it differently, but once the day gets going it's just fine.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be my second post-separation thanksgiving without the kids. Last year the shock was still pretty new, so I slow-roasted some ribs and just hung out alone. This year, I'll be inviting some of the guys from my fellowship group who are also flying solo. I'd bet if you asked around, you'd probably find folks who you'd love to have join you and would be happy to do so.

We never know exactly how many are going to show up for Christmas. A lot of people are welcome.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
From your past posts, it seems that you sharing your bounty with the people who prepare and serve your meals, clean your timeshare, or make your life more pleasant is a foreign concept.

Not sure where you get that from.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have times when I'm just plain lazy. I admit it and if someone were to commented on me having a lazy day I have no problem owning it.
I can call myself lazy and it's okay, but when someone else does, then, to me, it can be offensive.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can call myself lazy and it's okay, but when someone else does, then, to me, it can be offensive.
I can definitely have a lazy streak every now and then. If someone points it out their next few minutes will not be pleasant. Ask me nicely if I can help or do something and I go from lazy to tasmanian devil in an instant. Preface an ask using the word lazy and my butt will stay firmly rooted to the chair.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we were still working we would invite over 4 to 8 people from work that had no family in the area for Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When we were still working we would invite over 4 to 8 people from work that had no family in the area for Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinners.
We do that sometimes now. One year it was dh, me, sil, bil and two other couples. A few years it has been the "family" in the area and a couple of strays (couples or singles).

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Being retired means we have more laid back lives now and there are fewer times we find ourselves looking forward to the respite of a lazy day. I'm of the belief that most of us need a day every once in awhile to be lazy and allow our bodies and brains to recharge.

This week our 7 and 2 year old granddaughters are here and we came up to Orlando to do Disney and Legoland with the girls. Last night my husband asked if I would like a glass of wine after I came out from tucking the older one in and kissing her goodnight. He knew my back was really hurting and thought it might relax me and help me sleep. I told him I was so pooped that I was just going to take two aspirin, soak in the tub then go to bed. At home my husband walks and exercises in the pool for at least an hour and rarely misses a morning doing it. My husband said between all the walking at the Parks and picking up the two year old he is probably getting a better workout than he does in the pool.

Tomorrow morning we leave Bonnet Creek for the 3 hour drive home. When we get in after we get the car unloaded I will pick our son and DIL up from where they are having lunch after getting back from the cruise they went on as part of a friend's wedding. My husband will have the girls at the pool to burn off some energy after being in the car for the ride home. After our son and DIL have some time with the girls we will take the girls to the playground so our son can get a nap in. Their flight home doesn't get in until 11:30pm and they have a 2 hour drive home from the airport so we want to make sure he gets a nap as we know he won't sleep on the plane. We have to eat dinner at home as going out isn't an option because our car won't fit 6 people! We will both be ready for a lazy day come Saturday. We will most likely have our version of a somewhat healthy lazy day dinner. An organic frozen spinach and feta cheese frozen pizza that we will add pepper rings and anchovies to.

In many families the planning, shopping, preparation and clean up for holiday meals falls largely on one person. When you are hosting even when other people contribute a great portion of the meals you still have more responsibility and want to have your house clean for company. Some people like to cook, especially for a family event, and are good at it. Some people do it but resent the work involved in a holiday meal even when it is just their own family. Some people just refuse to do it. And then there are some people who refuse to even learn to cook.

Last edited:

phyllispsu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluetree Resort
Hi, I'm Amycurl, and I'm a Costco addict.

But in wandering aimlessly around their website, I discovered this:
https://www.costco.com/Schwan’s-Thanksgiving-Meal,-Serves-8.product.100430420.html

And I thought what a fantastic idea it is was! You could get it shipped directly to your timeshare, and be able to heat everything up in the unit. Brilliant!

And it comes with not one, but TWO pies, AND ice cream!! I have no idea where else you're going to be able to purchase pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 8+ people for under $120 all in.

Looking for a ham version for Christmas? They have you covered there, too:
https://www.costco.com/Schwan's-Holiday-Ham-Dinner-Serves-8.product.100403884.html

Costco, is there anything you *don't* think of? ;)
I think this is a great idea !

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaand, I saw that in the Costco coupons I just got in the mail, there's a $15 off sale, so now the cost is less than $100 for the turkey dinner. An even better deal!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Amycurl, and I'm a Costco addict.

But in wandering aimlessly around their website, I discovered this:
https://www.costco.com/Schwan’s-Thanksgiving-Meal,-Serves-8.product.100430420.html

And I thought what a fantastic idea it is was! You could get it shipped directly to your timeshare, and be able to heat everything up in the unit. Brilliant!

And it comes with not one, but TWO pies, AND ice cream!! I have no idea where else you're going to be able to purchase pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 8+ people for under $120 all in.

Looking for a ham version for Christmas? They have you covered there, too:
https://www.costco.com/Schwan's-Holiday-Ham-Dinner-Serves-8.product.100403884.html

Costco, is there anything you *don't* think of? ;)
I just checked this out and with a 2 2.5 lb turkey breast, there is no way it can serve 8. We eat a pound each per person, ok maybe half a pound plus (cooked). ;) I also prefer dark meat, it looks a whole turkey is the only option for us.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a smoked meat afficionado. A local bacon producer (the absolutely BEST, Falls Brand, get it at Costco) sells a few, never frozen, FFA raised turkeys, grown by high school kids & auctioned off after the county fair in September. Falls Brand brines and hickory smokes them for Thanksgiving. They charge retail, and there is a waiting list, but the smoked turkeys are just devine! I'm salivating, thinking about it.

Jim

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We had a full Thanksgiving Dinner at WKORV (Westin Kaanapali) in 2006 - there were 10 of us.
But, the villa has a full size oven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, doing that in the WKORV North convection microwave would be a no-go.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - if anyone staying at Surf or Ocean Club for Thanksgiving they are delivering turkey dinners right to your room! You have to order by the 15th.

Thanksgiving dinner in the comfort of your own home away from home Delivered by Captain’s Galley

Dear Owner/Guest, We are very excited to see you back again at Marriott’s Aruba Surf Club. Your stay with us will coincide with the celebration of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving without an amazing Turkey dinner shared with your loved ones in your own home.

The Captain’s Galley would like to offer you a chance to experience this feast in your home away from home!
We offer a holiday meal in 2 different choices; a turkey dinner that serves 4 people for $150.00 and a turkey dinner that serves 6 people for $190.00. Included in these prices are:

 Turkey + Stuffing + Gravy + Cranberry Sauce + Bread + 1 Side order of your choice
 You can add more side orders to your order for only $8.00 per side (each serves 4)
 Add Pumpkin soup for a nice start of your meal for $6.00 per person
 Add a nice desert to finish this amazing meal in style for $6.00 per person
 Add a bottle of Merlot or Chardonnay for $25.00 per bottle

Turkey for 4 persons (approx. 10lbs) $150.00
Turkey for 6 persons (approx. 13lbs) $190.00

Sides $8.00 each (serves 4)
Rustic Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Bacon Topped Green Beans
Mac and Cheese
Sweet Potatoes Casserole
Corn Bread Muffin
Brussels Sprouts and Carrots Green Salad

Soup $6.00 per person Pumpkin soup
Dessert $6.00 per person Apple tart Pecan Pie
Please fill out the attached order form with all your wishes for this amazing dinner. You can even select a desired delivery time. Reservations close on November 15 2018. We a have a limited amount of Turkeys available, so make your reservation now and don’t miss out on this opportunity!
Please return the filled out reservation form to the vacation planners.
Cancelations are taken up to 48 hours to the planned delivery date. After this time the reserved Turkey will be charged.

To funny - the only thing I can think of is the mutilation of that turkey during carving time with the dull knife in the room!

Last edited:

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got an email this morning from Costco showing the turkey dinner is $15.00 off, now through 11/26. The original price showing for me was $114.99, not $120.00. Must be different pricing in different parts of the country.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
And speaking of Costco, I bought a women's Eddie Bauer down parka for $39.00 at my local store. It stuffs into a very small pouch for travel, is lightweight, has a hood and is quite warm. My daughter loves it. It is sold out on the website, but was still available last week in my local store. A very similar coat (maybe the same?) is on the Eddie Bauer website on sale for 89.00-$101.00.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
And speaking of Costco, I bought a women's Eddie Bauer down parka for $39.00 at my local store. It stuffs into a very small pouch for travel, is lightweight, has a hood and is quite warm. My daughter loves it. It is sold out on the website, but was still available last week in my local store. A very similar coat (maybe the same?) is on the Eddie Bauer website on sale for 89.00-$101.00.

Somewhere, Dave is nodding his head in the affirmative........

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have Schwan’s delivery in our area. Have bought from them but not holiday meal.
Bought from Blue Apron a couple of years ago. Was pretty good.DD also bought Blue Apron and we put both orders together and she cooked.
This year she wants to cook the sides and DH will cook the turkey, with little assistance from me.
Putting up the tree on Thanksgiving too.
I don’t consider anyone lazy, that simplifies holidays.
They can be very stressful if we all try to be like a Norman Rockwell painting.
Enjoy your family friends and timeshares if you are celebrating from them.We have done that too.
No holiday celebration should be wracked with guilt, let someone else cook or do it yourself.
No judgement.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Silentg

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, I feel like an idiot.
I bought the meal from Publix
I bought a 48 piece birthday cake and a pumpkin pie and baked brownies
I had the wrong date, I thought my family was coming for thanksgiving but they are coming Friday

And I still am waiting for my dishwasher to be repaired

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are doing a grocery store Turkey package, picking up on Thursday, cooking for ourselves on Friday. We also bought a Costco pre-seasoned prime rib roast with bone, my absolute favorite, and currently stinking up the fridge with the garlic, and we will cook that tomorrow morning and take that over to our friends' friend place at 3pm for their Thanksgiving dinner. That will be our contribution to the meal. The host will be doing the turkey and our friends are bringing over a Honeybaked ham, which my husband and I cannot stand the taste of it - it is too sweet and salty. I also baked low fat no sugar added chocolate cheesecake brownie bites today and that will be for my husband to nosh on over the next few days. He loves my cheesecake bites.

Last edited:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Oh boy, I feel like an idiot.
I bought the meal from Publix
I bought a 48 piece birthday cake and a pumpkin pie and baked brownies
I had the wrong date, I thought my family was coming for thanksgiving but they are coming Friday

And I still am waiting for my dishwasher to be repaired

Go get some good quality paper plates, or enlist help to wash dishes on Friday. Last year our dishwasher conked out for good a week before Christmas. I told everyone "expect paper plates and plastic glasses". Then we went and picked out a new dishwasher, including going back the next day to cancel that one and choose another because Cliff realized the handle was going to keep drawers from opening (good catch!). I'll be darned if they didn't install the new machine two days before Xmas. Was still tempted to get the paper plates out, but used the fine china. At this stage in my life China and silver go in the dishwasher, only the crystal gets washed by hand.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I got the best deal out there. My wife and I had our Thanksgiving meal together in her hospital room. She got her dinner free because she is the patient. The hospital waived my fee for a guest tray and I got their tradition turkey dinner, complete with pumpkin pie, for free. Yummy.

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Villas North OF (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (bi-annual)
Westin Mission Hills (annual)
Cliff Club at Snowbird (annual)
The Ridge at Tahoe (annual)
I got the best deal out there. My wife and I had our Thanksgiving meal together in her hospital room. She got her dinner free because she is the patient. The hospital waived my fee for a guest tray and I got their tradition turkey dinner, complete with pumpkin pie, for free. Yummy.

That’s the best part of thanksgiving— being with the one(s) you love. Your post brought a tear to my eye, it was so sweet. Thank you for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Happy Thanksgiving. I hope your wife has a speedy recovery and gets home soon.