• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marbella or Playa

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to go to Costa del Sol either in July- August 2020 using DC points. Probably looking for 3 2BR or 3BR units. Just wondering what anyone thinks the chances would be. We routinely do this at Ocean Pointe but I've never tried in Spain.
This really is peak season, school holidays... very busy and hot.
With limited DC Points availability, it could be a big challenge.
You are planning well in advance though, so if you are eligible to book at 13 months you are doing everything possible.
There are not large numbers of 3 Bed units at either resort, so leaving your options open is a good idea.
Marbella tends to be in higher demand, both are very good though so I would take whatever you can get.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
You are planning well in advance though, so if you are eligible to book at 13 months you are doing everything possible.
When I have watched he release of the Marbella and Playa DC inventory, nothing ever seems to get loaded at 13 months. It usually gets loaded at 12-ish months out (give or take a few days), and can load on various seemingly random days of the weeks and times of the day. As an example, another week just got loaded this afternoon for the last week of May 2020 at Marbella, but not at Playa yet, and when I checked mid morning today, the Marbella inventory had not yet loaded either. You really will need to watch closely....as in likely a couple times every day at slightly over 12+ months from your desired week to be able to snatch what you need as soon as they load.

ETA....just checked again and about an hour later than first seeing Marbella loaded for last week of May, now Playa loaded that same week.

Last edited:

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
You might have been luck exchanging as points are so limited and you need high season for several weeks/units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never saw this before, I'm checking availability trying to get a feel for it and I set the request for 3 nites in June. This doesn't make sense. If I reserve on the 4th the 4th,5th and 6th are open. If i do the 2nd, the 2nd.3rd and 4th are open. So why can't I do it on the 3rd as the 3rd, 4th and 5th are open. Must be something to do with Brexit

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 8.49.30 PM.jpeg

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never saw this before, I'm checking availability trying to get a feel for it and I set the request for 3 nites in June. This doesn't make sense. If I reserve on the 4th the 4th,5th and 6th are open. If i do the 2nd, the 2nd.3rd and 4th are open. So why can't I do it on the 3rd as the 3rd, 4th and 5th are open. Must be something to do with Brexit

View attachment 12199

Are the room sizes and views the same?
I’m guessing not.
Click on each check in date and see what is offered.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Are the room sizes and views the same?
I’m guessing not.
Click on each check in date and see what is offered.
Bingo. No 2BR's for check in on the 4th. When clicked on 3BR only, 2nd check in is Garden View. 4th check in is Sea Front.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
The old adage of RTFQ applies here. When I was switching around the only thing that was coming up was a 2bd. I never saw the 3bd because I wasn't looking for it. Sometimes you have to be a little dumb so that somebody can remind you to pay attention. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on how this works out.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Jim, they loaded another week of June inventory early this afternoon, so Tuesday early afternoon seems to be the likely day of release.... at least as close to a pattern as I have been able to discern.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my target dates are first two weeks in July that seem to be a low point in the high season at these resorts. I agree that so far its unlike other resorts that seem to release inventory in th wee hours before 9AM EST these seem to be mid afternoon on the release date. I'm going to continually monitor. Thanks for all for the help and advice so far. If I pull this off it will be quite a feat. Four families 8 adults and 8 grandkids and one extra Grandma in four units. I do it consistently at Ocean Pointe but I think it's going to be much harder in Spain.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far it looks promising to get what I need in early to mid July 2020. So much so that I've started to look at the floorplans to see how we would fit every one. They all show the guest bedrooms as having 1 bed. Is that what they actually have or do they have 2 queens like most other resorts.

I've already reserved MPB as a back up but the kids are thrilled to be able to go to Spain if I can manage it. Great to have first world problems.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
All the guest rooms have two beds, what I would describe as a large single (UK size) the main bedroom has a king sized bed.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
They don’t have queen beds like in the US, they are two single beds so you would only fit 2 people in the guest room. The sofa bed is double and will fit 2 people. Max in a 2 bed is 6 people.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
b57ea067f9120d9ba4bcfe136adc8fff.jpg

Guest room

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
8ec4a5ed9b970b64b51ffcb4e1d5c40d.jpg

Master bedroom, both are Marbella but same as Playa.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the photos. I'd been to Marbella before but I couldn't remember what the configuration was in the guest room. I would guess the 2nd guest in the 3bd is the same as the 1st but either way that would be OK. These Grandkids, one each gender in each family, grow up so fast. We used to put them in the same queen bed.

That stopped a few years ago but now they complain about being in the same room.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Yes in the 3 bed it’s like the main one again!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Just snagged a 3BR at Marbella for June 2020 via points for a trip with the kids and their sig others. Let the planning begin!! I welcome any great day trip ideas from Marbella.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last time we there in 2006 we did trips to Gibraltar, Tangiers, Rhonda and my bride wanted to see the Picasso museum in Malaga. All were great except for the Picasso Museum. It was very small all in Spanish with no translations. The Tangiers trip was done thru the resort and it was a bus/ferry combo with a very good guide for the entire day. It was great, you get to visit a different continent, #4 for me, you can ride a camel for $2 and you get to haggle with the Arab rug merchants over the prices of some very beautiful rugs.

I plan on doing all three again with my kids this time. I'm hoping the June 12 month availability rolls right into July.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ronda is one of the big draws in the area so aim to get there early as it gets very busy. Marbella Old Town is small but pleasant, the church in the main square is quite impressive inside. Benahavis is the place to go to eat, so many fantastic restaurants and a nice hill town. Estepona has a great beach and a very nice old town a short walk from the beach, lots of nice restaurants. Gibraltar is interesting but as a Brit it reminds me of Swindon in the 80's (not in a good way). The caves at Nerja are very impressive and Malaga has plenty to offer (we haven't visited it properly but intend to do so in October).

Tangier was a waste of time, a dirty port city that is a poor representation of Morocco. There is little of interest and even with a guide you'll be taken to stores owned by friends or relatives of the guide and offered cheap goods at rip off prices. Yes you can ride camels but why would you want to? The poor animals are mistreated and spend their entire lives walking round in circles carrying tourists on their back. The calves are chained to the ground whilst their mothers do the work. It is a pitiful sight and shameful that some people feel these animals are there solely to provide entertainment for themselves and others. Most people go simply to be able to say they've been to Africa. Don't waste your time or money, stick to Spain and enjoy it, far more to offer than Tangier.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess your parents never let you take a horsey ride when you were a kid. I remember them being a lot of fun.

No.

It's no different to the elephants in Thailand being kept in awful conditions and subjected to toruturous and barbaric paractices. In order to make elephants submit to elephant rides and other human interactions, they are taken from their mothers when babies and forced through a horrific training process known as ‘the crush’. It involves physical restraints, inflicting severe pain and withholding food and water. By the time tourists come to ride an elephant, it may look at peace, but this is because it’s spirit has been broken. The bullhook used permanently reminds the animal of human dominance.

The cruelty does not end after the crush. When not performing or used for rides most elephants are kept on chains, unable to socially interact with one another. This is hugely damaging to their physical and psychological wellbeing. Still, I bet the tourists have fun getting to ride them.

Or the donkeys in places like Santorini, the donkey rides begin at 9am every day and don’t finish until the sun sets. The donkeys go from the port to the village of Fira and back. To get there, they have to climb about 600 steps. On average, the donkeys do seven roundtrips a day. They are forced to carry heavy loads up a 250-metre slope. Some of the donkeys who carry very heavy tourists end up with back problems or even injured spinal cords. Many donkeys also wear badly adjusted saddles, which can rub and even burn the animal’s skin. Still, I bet the tourists have fun getting to ride them.

Animals are not on this planet for our amusement or entertainment, particularly when they are subjected to such cruel and inhumane treatment and conditions. If you want to be part of that process then go ahead, I don't want to and I'll make no apologies in criticising those who do or highlighting the facts to those who are unaware.