• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Married at First Sight?

geekette

Reaction score
I have been watching this show since it began and wondered if others are into it.

The premise is a social experiment regarding arranged marriages. I tend to be fascinated by a) the mass of data collected regarding most anything for which an adult might have preferences, experience or opinions; b) human behavior

What happens is that the couples meet at the altar. So far, every single one of them has said I Do (we're into season 9 now, one of the original couples is still married, with children). After 8 weeks, they decide whether to stay married or divorce. It has been rare to have a split decision, most couples work well enough to keep trying, others are past done at 8 weeks. One was done before the honeymoon ended. I'm not sure how many couples are still together at this point, less than half.

I don't watch much reality tv but for some reason, I find it endlessly fascinating to watch these people start a relationship with commitment to a stranger, and figure it out from there. I think you have to be pretty brave to get into something like that and be followed around as your little moments are captured.

Note, the editing is crazy frustrating. It's good enough to tell the story, but we don't always get to see what tools they provide couples to overcome this challenge or that, while we used to get more of that. Every pairing is different, so the tools varied also. It's tv, so packaging is a thing.

I also use it to help improve myself. Sometimes I see something that is too familiar - I do that! Always nice to get tools to help me be a better person. It was an old boyfriend that found the show and we would watch together and discuss after. Definitely improved our communication and cleaned up some bad habits for both of us.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The premise is bizarre. I only watched the through the 1st set of couples.

But I like the idea that you can opt out of marriage after a period of time.
Sometimes I think ML's should be like DL's that expire, subject to renewal.
There'd still be issues with property and children, but it'd be separate.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
I admit I've never heard of this TV show but many have probably never heard of the "trash reality tv" shows that I watch - American Pickers and Pawn Stars

Brett

Reaction score
I don't consider either pickers or pawn stars trash tv. They are actually very informative as well as fun to watch sometimes.

right, but some people think those fine reality shows are unwatchable "trash" TV

They prefer Judge Judy, bachelorette, and all the other 'trashy' reality dating shows.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Everyone has different preferences when watching tv. What one considers trash another doesn’t.

Whoever likes “Love at First Sight”, enjoy.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One person's trash is another's treasure. I am sure there are things you watch or do that others wouldn't spend a single second of their time on.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
One person's trash is another's treasure. I am sure there are things you watch or do that others wouldn't spend a single second of their time on.
How many times have all of us said, "400 TV channels and nothing to watch!" Remembering fondly 3 channels of grainy black & white .

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Geekette, just want to let you know you are not alone. I'm with you on both reasons I watch the program. Can't help but think there was a time when there were arranged marriages based on far few criteria. And people learned to live and hopefully love in it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Geekette, just want to let you know you are not alone. I'm with you on both reasons I watch the program. Can't help but think there was a time when there were arranged marriages based on far few criteria. And people learned to live and hopefully love in it.
Arranged marriages in some cultures are still very common.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score

No doubt but still trash tv. I’d never want everyone to agree with the things I do. Even the majority.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have been watching this show since it began and wondered if others are into it.

The premise is a social experiment regarding arranged marriages. I tend to be fascinated by a) the mass of data collected regarding most anything for which an adult might have preferences, experience or opinions; b) human behavior

What happens is that the couples meet at the altar. So far, every single one of them has said I Do (we're into season 9 now, one of the original couples is still married, with children). After 8 weeks, they decide whether to stay married or divorce. It has been rare to have a split decision, most couples work well enough to keep trying, others are past done at 8 weeks. One was done before the honeymoon ended. I'm not sure how many couples are still together at this point, less than half.

I don't watch much reality tv but for some reason, I find it endlessly fascinating to watch these people start a relationship with commitment to a stranger, and figure it out from there. I think you have to be pretty brave to get into something like that and be followed around as your little moments are captured.

Note, the editing is crazy frustrating. It's good enough to tell the story, but we don't always get to see what tools they provide couples to overcome this challenge or that, while we used to get more of that. Every pairing is different, so the tools varied also. It's tv, so packaging is a thing.

I also use it to help improve myself. Sometimes I see something that is too familiar - I do that! Always nice to get tools to help me be a better person. It was an old boyfriend that found the show and we would watch together and discuss after. Definitely improved our communication and cleaned up some bad habits for both of us.

Season 2 was horrible. After that one I stopped watching. Well that and I was friends with one of them LOL

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
There was a real life version of this story in Minnesota about 20 years ago. A man's friends invited women who were interested in marrying him to enter a contest. The friends selected the top candidates, held a party with the friends and family and helped pick the winner. The couple was married happily for 20 years until he recently died of cancer.

Here's a link to a story written at the time of his death with more details of the story. The bride said she had no regrets, even with the sadness of his death.
http://www.startribune.com/david-we...f-america-for-instant-wedding-dies/483342201/

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Arranged marriages in some cultures are still very common.

Several years ago (here in the U.S.) I had a co-worker who was in an arranged marriage. She had only been married a few years, and was rather new to this country. Her husband was raised in the U.S., and he had visited her country every other year while he was growing up, so she had grown up seeing him regularly. So at least she already knew who she was marrying, but it was not an option to say no to the marriage along with moving to the U.S. I have no idea if the marriage worked out long-term.

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
I'm completely hooked on this show. Trying to meet "the one" is such a random process, and I can see how some people might be on board with having a group of professionals tell you that this person they have selected is "the one."

I'm not sure why I started watching it this season. Maybe it was being promoted differently, because I had never heard of it before.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There was a real life version of this story in Minnesota about 20 years ago. A man's friends invited women who were interested in marrying him to enter a contest. The friends selected the top candidates, held a party with the friends and family and helped pick the winner. The couple was married happily for 20 years until he recently died of cancer.Here's a link to a story written at the time of his death with more details of the story. The bride said she had no regrets, even with the sadness of his death.
http://www.startribune.com/david-we...f-america-for-instant-wedding-dies/483342201/
That's a sweet story. I'm sure there were some awkward moments in the beginning. The friends knew his personality well. Depending on how they screened the candidates, they could at least put him with someone who was not a nut.
I think we would all choose happiness, even knowing it would end in 20 years. That was a dumb comparison, because no one has any guarantee in life. I'm glad it worked out for them.

nightnurse613

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is fascinated by these "reality shows". He got me to watch "Naked & Afraid" a couple of times but, it's not something I think someone who owns timeshares could learn to like. It is interesting to note that sometimes the "tough guy" wimps out. I have seen "Married at First Sight" and can honestly say that we took about 90 days to get to know each other some 40 years ago! Yes, there are NO guarantees in life...On the other hand, I have watched "Bridezilla" a way too many times....LOL

geekette

Reaction score
right, but some people think those fine reality shows are unwatchable "trash" TV

They prefer Judge Judy, bachelorette, and all the other 'trashy' reality dating shows.
I don't like the judge shows nor the hookup stuff. Never watched Survivor or any version of Housewives.

I do very much like The Profit. Sometimes still watch Shark Tank. Antiques Road Show probably first reality show I ever watched.

geekette

Reaction score
Thank you, Bailey! Yes, most arranged marriages do not use so much science.

geekette

Reaction score
Season 2 was horrible. After that one I stopped watching. Well that and I was friends with one of them LOL
Whoa! Who were you friends with?? I would be dying to know how they really thought it went. And if you'd had the opportunity to meet the spouse?!

I can't recall who was season 2 - was that 2 Ryans?

geekette

Reaction score
There was a real life version of this story in Minnesota about 20 years ago. A man's friends invited women who were interested in marrying him to enter a contest. The friends selected the top candidates, held a party with the friends and family and helped pick the winner. The couple was married happily for 20 years until he recently died of cancer.

Here's a link to a story written at the time of his death with more details of the story. The bride said she had no regrets, even with the sadness of his death.
sweet story! thanks for sharing.

geekette

Reaction score
I'm completely hooked on this show. Trying to meet "the one" is such a random process, and I can see how some people might be on board with having a group of professionals tell you that this person they have selected is "the one."

I'm not sure why I started watching it this season. Maybe it was being promoted differently, because I had never heard of it before.
Could be!

Last season was great, some mature people really trying, a couple that couldn't find a way to communicate, and one emotional abuser. I expect that the 2 couples that stayed married will actually remain married long haul. They embraced the commitment and did the hard work and really grew their relationships. The experts are getting better and better at selecting good candidates that will do the work. Nothing is ever guaranteed, individuals can shut down early and never open up again.

Not sure I want to get married again, and it's hard to understand the mindset of "all I've wanted is to be married" as that was never me, but if they did a Second Time Around rendition here, I would consider it (although being filmed is creepy to me; I'd be forgotten soon enough to be able to stand it). I liked being married, it would have been better with the right guy. Is there a Right Guy for me? Not sure about that, and not actively seeking him, but meanwhile absorbing lessons and rooting for couples.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Whoa! Who were you friends with?? I would be dying to know how they really thought it went. And if you'd had the opportunity to meet the spouse?!

I can't recall who was season 2 - was that 2 Ryans?

I can say this. The girls thought the “experiment” was real, well 2 did, one was an actress trying to be an actress. The guys they picked up from the street. This was the second season so It was still being spun as a docu-series not the trash reality tv it turned into halfway through season 2. I forget the guys names. Could have been Ryan. I think 2 Ryan’s. One lived in his moms basement I think lol.

geekette

Reaction score
Actually, all of the participants are "off the street" as anyone can apply. The guy you are thinking about lived with his widowed mother and his niece, not in the basement, as man of the house. I think niece was an orphan. He was uneasy about leaving them, felt obligated to continue as their full time support male. He did not seem to feel same obligation to the lady he married.

Actress? You might be thinking of season 1, where a participant had been on, or tried out for, Bachelor. She wanted to be married and was not afraid to be on camera. That's a bonus, as some definitely struggle with those blasted cameras following them around. Her marriage at first sight continues and they have at least one child. They don't seem to weed out people based on occupation, and I wouldn't expect them to nor want them to.

It's definitely real, they do truly marry. You can call it trash tv but each season there are new tools for home viewers to employ to help them in their own relationships. One person's trash is another's great find. I sent feedback after last season, received a great reply from Dr Pepper and notice some of the changes I asked for.