TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott Cat 6 hotel along S. CA coast

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by VacationForever, Apr 23, 2019.

1. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I have an old Cat 9 5-night that will expire this June but will extend a year when I convert it to the new Cat 6.

We have nothing planned but we are fine with driving somewhere rather than to lose it. Looking along S. CA coast, 2 Cat 6 hotels show up: Lido House, Autograph Collection at Newport Beach and Laguna Cliffis Marriott at Dana Point.

Is anyone familiar with both who recommends one over the other? I looked at the reviews and did not see mention of breakfast or lounge access. I am Titanium and want to pick if one or both offer complimentary/loyalty hot breakfast and lounge access?

Thank you.

2. Norcal5

Norcal5 TUG Member

The Laguna Cliffs at Dana Point is very nice. Another option would be to use it at Newport Coast Villas, which although not directly on the beach has other qualities that I think make it nicer.

VacationForever likes this.
  3. VacationForever

Thanks. I am trying to compare between Lido House and Laguna Cliffs as they are both full service hotels. We have been to Newport Coast a bunch of times, including going there again late May this year using our MVC points, but we are looking for a different experience with the hotel certificates.

1Kflyerguy likes this.
  4. BigMac

BigMac Guest

Don't know either of these hotels but according to the new "Bonvoy" rules about free breakfasts, Autograph and Marriott hotels both give 2 free breakfasts either in the lounge or if there isn't a lounge in a restaurant. You have a free night cert but if you look at the retail price of these hotels the Lido house is about twice the price of Dana Point. Lido will be in the middle of Newport beach with surrounding restaurants and shops while Dana Point is a bit out of the way but probably much quieter.

5. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

This one is tough. I think the setting of the one at Dana Point is better, but you will probably get upgraded to a suite at the one in Newport if you have status. You are closer to more stuff in Newport, but if you want to relax the on at the Cliffs looks better. You should get breakfast at both. No concierge lounge at Autograph or Resort/Spa hotels generally. I wish I were going. That's one of my favorite places to go in the US.

6. VacationForever

Thank you. I have 5 suite award nights to apply to whichever we choose.

7. gregloucks

gregloucks TUG Member

I agree that this is a tough decision. I think it depends upon how you want to spend your time, and how sensitive you are to possible noise/congestion. Lido is out on the Balboa Peninsula, lots of restaurants and nightlife nearby, and it's a more trendy property, but not a peaceful location by any standard. Laguna Cliffs is up on a hill, much quieter with better views of the water, but it's an older property. Still walkable to restaurants, etc. in Dana Point.