TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott Destination Points

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by rahulgopi, Oct 10, 2017.

1. icydog

icydog TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I’m confused. Why would the points from a canceled few days go into holding?

Also, I was able to add a night to a Hawaiian DC reservation. I did it in August for a July reservation without any issue at all. I can’t spell the name of the place but it’s the newly converted resort on the Big Island.

There was lots of availability so that may be why. But I just don’t get why points, taken off the back end or front end of a reservation, would cause those points to be placed in holding?.

2. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    Because of this language in the program documents that Fasttr quoted above:

If a reservation is modified prior to the first day of a confirmed Use Period to result in a shorter duration than would have been permitted at the time the reservation was made, any Exchange Points restored to the Program Member shall be placed into the Program Member’s Holding Account, subject to the restrictions on Holding Accounts as set forth in these Exchange Procedures.

3. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    But if you reserve a 10 night stay at 12/13 months and cancel the first three prior to the 10 month mark. Those points shouldn't go in to a holding account? If one is a level where you can book 1+ nights at 13 months, it really wouldn't matter when you cancel as long as you do it before 60 days from checkin.

4. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI
    What you say makes sense, but then so did Fasttr when he posted that verbiage. I don't know what the answer is. As I said earlier in this thread, thinking through all these ways to stretch a reservation makes my head hurt...

5. Fasttr

Fasttr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Ocean
    MVC Trust Points
    The concept contemplated is a bit diffferent. The example was wanting to rent a 7 night ressie...but the desired check in date has not yet been released to be booked yet, so you book more days than the 7 you really want with the sole purpose of getting a jump start on the nights you really want. Then after the fact, you cancel the extra nights you had to book at the beginning of your string of nights in order to game the system into allowing you to secure the 7 nights you really wanted . We are contemplating MVC would cite the policy as applying to that situation as well.

To summarize....had it not been for adding the extra nights at the beginning, you would not have been able to book the 7 nights you end up with on the day that you actually booked the initial 10 night ressie.

dioxide45 and VacationForever like this.
  6. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    agreed, that does not sound good. I will need to research that more before i add additional points.

7. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense now.

8. rahulgopi

rahulgopi TUG Member

This will work for us as we travel week 50 / 51 / 52. School close around Dec 15 and we are good to travel after that. I have no intention to game the system but if I can get 14 days from Dec 15/16/17 to Dec 30, that will be more then sufficient :). I am hoping this is doable 13 months out.

9. rahulgopi

rahulgopi TUG Member

I read about this from a redweek.com post. I am not sure whether this is true, someone who have attempted this may confirm. Here is what the poster said

<QUOTE from redweek.com>
    A realtor who deals in timeshares has told me that something changed recently. If you have some existing points and your anniversary date is July 1, and, you buy point from someone who has an anniversary date of Jan 1, then, Marriott will no longer combine those, you'll have 2 accounts. This changed, if true, within the last month or so. Has anyone else encountered this? So, makes it a little harder to find suitable resale candidates if you already have some points.

1Kflyerguy likes this.
  10. VacationForever

VacationForever TUG Member

I do not know if this is true. But since most DC points accounts start in January, it is far more likely you find accounts that start in January as opposed to other months. Marriott makes January the anniversary month for DC points when a weeks owner buys DC points so that they coincide with the weeks start month, which is always January; similarly when a new owner buys a combo/hybrid package.

11. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    It's always been true that the Use Year of Trust Points can't be changed when resold, but I don't think there's ever been a question of whether Trust Points with different Use Years can be in the same owner account. It doesn't make much sense that they wouldn't allow different Use Year DC Points in the same account but a combo of DC Points and Weeks is allowed.

Hasn't the requirement always been that everything in a single account must be similarly titled? Is it possible that this realtor is confusing the deeded Use Year issue with the titling issue? Or maybe s/he thought that Use Years could be changed when resold, to realign the Use Years of all DC Points in a single account?

12. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), Aulani, Worldmark
    I think there is a terminology issue here -- I've rented Trust Points with different Usage Period than my Elected Points, and they were never combined into the same Usage Period -- they always kept their original Usage Period (ie, October - September).

The comment is written in a manner that suggests that those Transferred Points aren't accessible in my original account -- which makes no sense because I would have to provide an account number to be able to receive the Trust Points. So, perhaps something is different, but it's not clear to me what it is. I would speculate that things have not changed systematically, and it is the User's experience that is different.

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ and rahulgopi like this.
  13. rahulgopi

rahulgopi TUG Member

The important question here is, if I have 6500 points with Dec anniversary and buy another 1500 points with July anniversary, how does the final account look ? Will it all be combined to have Dec anniversary ? . If the accounts are not combined, will the owner still be eligible for exec benefits as he have more than 7000 points BUT with to different anniversary dates.

14. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    If this recent report is just a misunderstanding, as it appears to be, and not a change in how MVW is processing accounts, and everything you own is titled similarly, then yes, you should have a single account with 6,500 DC Points with a Dec-Nov Use Year and 1,500 DC Points with a Jul-Jun Use Year, and your status usage/benefits will be based on the combined total of 8,000 DC Points.

1Kflyerguy and rahulgopi like this.
  15. Fasttr

Fasttr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Ocean
    MVC Trust Points
    I agree. As additional evidence....even if you have two batches of Trust points with the SAME use year, the points are segregated within the same account as to the date the points purchase contact was signed or closed....so its easy to identify specifically each basket of points within your account. So if you purchased 3000 points on 10/1/16 and 2000 more on 5/1/17, regardless of use year, your account will not simply show you having 5000 points, it breaks it down into 3000 points from your 10/1/16 purchase and 2000 points from your 5/1/17 purchase. So since they are already broken out no matter the Use Year, I find it hard to believe having different Use Years adds any more challenge to the tracking process inside the same account.

rahulgopi and 1Kflyerguy like this.
  16. kds4

kds4 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Grande Vista
    Because the 'use year' for resale points will not be adjusted to match the 'use year' of other existing points a buyer already has it is a good idea to ensure you know what the use year is for particular resale points before you purchase (unless managing multiple use years does not bother you or this is your first points purchase - meaning it may be the only use year you will have to worry about). When we shopped for resale points, we looked for a use year to match our weeks and other points owned for just this reason. While it narrowed down the available resale points for us to choose from using this criteria, it has made managing our portfolio much simpler.

rahulgopi likes this.
  17. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Having different use years/periods just seems like it would limit the period of time where you can combine the points for a single reservation. So if you have a Jan-Dec use year and a Jul-Jun use year, if you are using your 2017 Jan-Dec points, you can only combine those with the other points for a reservation from Jul-Dec. Of course there is always borrowing and banking, so effectively this may or may not matter much.

rahulgopi likes this.
  18. Dean

Dean TUG Member

I doubt it'll matter much because you can always bank/borrow. The main issue is whether the system will pull the most restricted points first but it doesn't now when you have banked and non banked points as it pulls the ones that expire first ignoring banking options. I think it's always a good idea to take a screenshot of your points before you do any reservations. If it pulls the wrong ones and you let them know relatively soon, they'll easily fix it. After a while they aren't as willing to do so. I deal with 2 DVC UY and have had as many as 3 in the past. I also have 2 home resorts with as many as 3 in the past which is pertinent since DVC has a home resort priority. I also have 4 different UY with Bluegreen. DVC is a little more difficult to deal with in this area because of the home resort priority, BG not so much. I'd think the process would be more like that of Bluegreen and easier than DVC.