• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Fixed Week

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what people think about the trading power of various resorts. Thinking about a fixed week as buying points seems to be to costly. What resorts will yield the highest trade value both internally and in II?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Fixed weeks are relatively few in the system and significantly higher priced than floating weeks. While a fixed week in Maui, Presidents week at a ski resort like Mountainside or Christmas weeks would all trade well, probably not $30-50k better than a good summer floating week on Hilton Head.

I expect Dean and others can elaborate on the preferred resort weeks with good trade value. Might search a bit as it’s a pretty common thread discussion. Particular when one is considering doing a hybrid week and points deal.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an entry point. I guess I'm not willing to spend a ton at buy in. I figure I can get in and use the system. If I like it I can look to convert and/or buy points. So if I were to do this buying a good trader would be important. I guess Florida or Vegas is the way to go using this strategy?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I'm curious to know what people think about the trading power of various resorts. Thinking about a fixed week as buying points seems to be to costly. What resorts will yield the highest trade value both internally and in II?
Just want to make sure you realize all trades would be through II (to another Marriott or non-Marriott).

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We bought in Vegas about 10 years ago, EOY, with lockoff. We have never been back (it was our first timeshare experience, we were very naive then. We have since bought points and and a hybrid deal), but have learned a great deal about MVC and timeshares. Having said that, Grande Chateau has proven to be an excellent trader for us, especially with the lockoff.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
From reading TUG over time, I have heard Grand Chateau in Las Vegas is a good trader. I have also heard Platinum weeks in Palm Dessert can be good and inexpensive. I do not own traders since we buy to use or we buy points for flexibility.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent most of my time researching HGVC so I'm just getting to know Marriott. What's involved in a hybrid week? How does one acquire one and what are the pros/cons

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
A hybrid week involves purchasing one deeded week that can be converted to points plus a package of points. The advantage is you can buy directly from Marriott, the average cost per point ends up being $7 to $8 per point and the MFs for the deeded week for the converted point value can come out lower than the MFs on pure points. The disadvantage is that it still costs more than buying pure points resale in total costs, and the resale value of a hybrid package is much lower than the resale value of buying pure points on the resale market. You end up with a deeded week somewhere you will never visit that will have almost no value when you sell it and you buy the points part of the hybrid package for close to retail value so you will lose at least 1/2 of your upfront cost immediately upon closing. There may be times when a hybrid package is good and if you own it a long time, you will get your value out of it. But I suspect buying a points package resale is a better deal.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A hybrid week involves purchasing one deeded week that can be converted to points plus a package of points. The advantage is you can buy directly from Marriott, the average cost per point ends up being $7 to $8 per point and the MFs for the deeded week for the converted point value can come out lower than the MFs on pure points. The disadvantage is that it still costs more than buying pure points resale in total costs, and the resale value of a hybrid package is much lower than the resale value of buying pure points on the resale market. You end up with a deeded week somewhere you will never visit that will have almost no value when you sell it and you buy the points part of the hybrid package for close to retail value so you will lose at least 1/3 of your upfront cost immediately upon closing. There may be times when a hybrid package is good and if you own it a long time, you will get your value out of it. But I suspect buying a points package resale is a better deal.
Well said.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'm looking for an entry point. I guess I'm not willing to spend a ton at buy in. I figure I can get in and use the system. If I like it I can look to convert and/or buy points. So if I were to do this buying a good trader would be important. I guess Florida or Vegas is the way to go using this strategy?

It's important to note that you cannot count on ever being able to "convert" a resale week to points. Typically Marriott does not allow resale weeks purchased after June 2010 to participate in their Destination Points system. There have been several occasions over the last three years when they offered a limited time promotion to allow post-6/2010 resale weeks to be enrolled in the Destination Points system, but only if the buyer spends over $33,000 to buy at least 3000 pure points. So, before choosing the less expensive route of purchasing a resale deeded floating week, you should consider that if you later decide you really want Points, your only recourse may be to perhaps sell the deeded week and then buy resale points. You should assume you will never be able to convert that week into points. Some speculate that some day Marriott may allow post-6/2010 weeks to be enrolled just by paying an enrollment fee, but that is pure speculation and there is no guarantee a resale buyer will EVER be able to enroll their post-6/2010 resale week into Destination Points.

It's also important to note that the Destination Points system is Marriott's only true internal exchange system. For a resale week owner without access to the points system, the only way to exchange to another Marriott resort is through Interval International. There is a three week or so priority period for Marriott deposits into II when only other Marriott owners can exchange into those weeks, but unlike HGVC that has a robust internal exchange/trading/points system for all owners, including resale owners, Marriott owners without Points access must use II and pay the per transaction II fees.

So, if you feel like you need/want the flexibility of points, then you should consider resale points instead of a resale week. If on the other hand, you are comfortable with using a resale week through II, and are content with selling that week in the future of you ever want to move over to points, then a resale week purchase will likely save you a lot of money over resale points.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Fixed weeks are relatively few in the system and significantly higher priced than floating weeks.
This is true for the higher demand weeks, but not for all weeks. When we bought our floating week in Maui from Marriott years ago, a few of the fixed weeks were actually a bit cheaper than a floating week. For example, this was true for the first half of December, which I remember because it is a time when we enjoy going to Hawaii. The floating week worked better for us at the time, however, becasue the flexibility of the DC system was not yet available.

Last edited:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I am not sure if you are tied to a school calendar, are retired and have complete freedom of choice or fit somewhere in between. Also important is do you take traditional week vacations or shorter stays.

If I was starting from scratch, I would look for a resale unit that rents well (you can get at least 33 percent or more above your MF). Units that rent well trade well. Aruba, Hilton Head summer and Hawaii are some areas that fit this. Also cash gives you a lot of flexibility to rent someone else's unit at other locations or go elsewhere outside of timeshare. If you want to cruise...cash still works.

If You thought DP had value, I suggest you buy some number of resale points. This gets you into the program. Once in the program, you can rent points. So tying the resale unit and resale points together, let's assume you purchased a Grand Ocean summer unit and it rents for 2900. You should be able to rent say 5000 points for that and have it transferred to your DP account.

In this scenario your cost and MF will be less than a hybrid package and your point value will be higher.

Is this more work..yes. Might MVCI find a way to stop the point rental market, I doubt it very much but you can't rule it out with 100 percent certainty.

As a pure trader, the Grand Chateau fits and I believe they are letting all sales go through without exercising right of first refusal. You can get it at a really good value (cheap). . I am sure people can suggest other inexpensive traders.

Full disclosure...I am an enrolled legacy owner tied to a school calendar. I rent at least one of my summer Monarch HHI units every year. We enjoy going to HHI with the other unit Every other year. In off years I rent or trade it. I own a Grand Chateau EOY that I only trade. I have never exchanged for DP or rented but plan on doing so when I retire.

BTW, I own a floating week and 2 fixed weeks. The only reason I like the fixed units are because one is a 4th floor Ocean front and one a 4th floor Ocean view three units down. Pictures from the balcony helps With renting them. If not for that or some other fixed advantage, floating works well.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
My opinion is that Florida weeks are diluted as traders because of the saturation, so don't go that route. Fixed weeks anywhere might be more expensive, and I prefer floating weeks for many other reasons. (You may actually use it.) My personal opinion is that Grand Chateau or Manor Club Sequel lock-offs are the two best options. Not too expensive resale, decent maintenance fees, and good trade results.

We bought a PLATINUM Manor Club Sequel lock-off and it has yielded amazing trades, even when split. Trade upgrades are often available for a small fee in Interval, so the studio portion still can be used to secure a great 2 or 3BR unit at a great resort in a great season. And the master 1BR gets great trades too, so we end up with two good weeks....usually platinum > platinum weeks.
My examples are listed in the posts noted below.
After 4 years, we've gotten superb trades using Manor Club, and my initial cost on Ebay for the platinum week was around $800 I think.
That's insane for a platinum Marriott week. A good non-lockoff week would be Harbour Point in Hilton Head---again, platinum. Cost would be higher though. HH summer weeks trade extremely well, and can even trade back into Hilton Head in summer for one of the "Big Three" resorts of Grande Ocean, Barony, or Surfwatch.

See posts #16 & 18 of mine in this thread:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...not-dead-at-least-for-me.267812/#post-2109409

and post # 25 in this thread:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...for-good-marriott-trader.260191/#post-2035008

Good luck

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO there really are 2 questions, trade power and trade value. They are not necessarily the same. I first look at where I want to go and where I might use it at least part of the time. Then I look at price, lockoff features, maint fees, the resort seasons and trade power. I judge trade power by area management company rental prices/seasons, II TDI, RCI TPU, several points systems points tables and my personal sense of the situation. I take into consideration the rental options and how it might fit into my other options I own. This might mean you anticipate whether you'll look at adding something else later. IMO the best trade values are not necessarily the same as the best trade power. If you'll trade almost exclusively to other Marriott's when trading and plan well ahead, you can do OK with lower to decent trade power. The best options that give a lockoff feature, are relatively inexpensive, have decent maint fees and will trade relatively well include Harbour Lakes, Grande Vista, LV, Manor Club Sequel, Willow Ridge all Platinum as well as Gold desert resorts all come to mind. There are a few others where dues aren't too bad and/or they don't have lockoff's like Manor Club, Ocean Pointe Silver, Cypress Harbour (and other Orlando Marriott's), Doral, Grande Ocean Gold (& HHs resort with the same Calendar, not Barony or Surfwatch) and Legend's Edge. I'm sure I left something out, ? NJ for example. I would generally sacrifice price and dues somewhat up to a point for something I'd use part of the time but I would consider buying 2 (one to use and one to trade) for many situations like Maui for example. Some resorts/weeks will have over the moon trading power but will have high entrance costs and often high fees and as a rule, I'd discourage them for trading.

In general I'd question the wisdom of buying in just as a single trading week as a novice esp if one doesn't already have an II account anyway. Many of us have been there at one time or another and a significant portion of us continue to struggle with this question periodically. If you decide to proceed and are only looking at buying a true trading option, I'd formulate a list of acceptable resorts with a judgement of price you're OK with. Then once you find one that fits your parameters you can proceed. I've had a lot of luck with ebay and redweeks for this situation but I've also worked with brokers at times. I've gotten the best deals on ebay. Personally I have resorts I use or rent out and don't take DC points though I could, resorts that are enrolled I use mostly for DC points and resorts mostly or exclusively for trading some of which are not enrolled. You should spend enough time to you truly understand. By the time you're ready to proceed you should be able to answer this question adequately for someone else asking.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that Florida weeks are diluted as traders because of the saturation, so don't go that route. Fixed weeks anywhere might be more expensive, and I prefer floating weeks for many other reasons. (You may actually use it.) My personal opinion is that Grand Chateau or Manor Club Sequel lock-offs are the two best options. Not too expensive resale, decent maintenance fees, and good trade results.

We bought a PLATINUM Manor Club Sequel lock-off and it has yielded amazing trades, even when split. Trade upgrades are often available for a small fee in Interval, so the studio portion still can be used to secure a great 2 or 3BR unit at a great resort in a great season. And the master 1BR gets great trades too, so we end up with two good weeks....usually platinum > platinum weeks.
My examples are listed in the posts noted below.
After 4 years, we've gotten superb trades using Manor Club, and my initial cost on Ebay for the platinum week was around $800 I think.
That's insane for a platinum Marriott week. A good non-lockoff week would be Harbour Point in Hilton Head---again, platinum. Cost would be higher though. HH summer weeks trade extremely well, and can even trade back into Hilton Head in summer for one of the "Big Three" resorts of Grande Ocean, Barony, or Surfwatch.

See posts #16 & 18 of mine in this thread:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...not-dead-at-least-for-me.267812/#post-2109409

and post # 25 in this thread:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...for-good-marriott-trader.260191/#post-2035008

Good luck
I can see I have my work cut out. There's a lot of good info hear to dig into. I'm starting to look for resales. While researching HGVC I found some good sites
I am not sure if you are tied to a school calendar, are retired and have complete freedom of choice or fit somewhere in between. Also important is do you take traditional week vacations or shorter stays.

If I was starting from scratch, I would look for a resale unit that rents well (you can get at least 33 percent or more above your MF). Units that rent well trade well. Aruba, Hilton Head summer and Hawaii are some areas that fit this. Also cash gives you a lot of flexibility to rent someone else's unit at other locations or go elsewhere outside of timeshare. If you want to cruise...cash still works.

If You thought DP had value, I suggest you buy some number of resale points. This gets you into the program. Once in the program, you can rent points. So tying the resale unit and resale points together, let's assume you purchased a Grand Ocean summer unit and it rents for 2900. You should be able to rent say 5000 points for that and have it transferred to your DP account.

In this scenario your cost and MF will be less than a hybrid package and your point value will be higher.

Is this more work..yes. Might MVCI find a way to stop the point rental market, I doubt it very much but you can't rule it out with 100 percent certainty.

As a pure trader, the Grand Chateau fits and I believe they are letting all sales go through without exercising right of first refusal. You can get it at a really good value (cheap). . I am sure people can suggest other inexpensive traders.

Full disclosure...I am an enrolled legacy owner tied to a school calendar. I rent at least one of my summer Monarch HHI units every year. We enjoy going to HHI with the other unit Every other year. In off years I rent or trade it. I own a Grand Chateau EOY that I only trade. I have never exchanged for DP or rented but plan on doing so when I retire.

BTW, I own a floating week and 2 fixed weeks. The only reason I like the fixed units are because one is a 4th floor Ocean front and one a 4th floor Ocean view three units down. Pictures from the balcony helps With renting them. If not for that or some other fixed advantage, floating works ?well.
Are DP only available through Marriott?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
There have been several threads on this topic. Grand Château and Grande Vista are consistently recommended and are at the top of the list for 3BR.
We wanted a Marriott trader to get to Hawaii and Hilton Head (among other places) and debated between those two. We ended up buying a 3BR at Grand Château since it locks off into 2BR and 1BR vice 2BR and studio. We're very satisfied with the trades; we're going to Hawaii next month and currently have another week in Aug.
We'd do it all over again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be honest I Hyatt Highlands in Carmel is a favorite of mine. Been to Carmel but did not stay at HH. The only reason I do not buy there is that I don't like what's going on with all the uncertainity between the Hyatt Residence Club and the Hyatt Points Program. So Marriott seems like a better option to me at this point. However I am new to the Marriott forum and have a lot to learn. Can one trade into Hyatt in Carmel by owning a Marriott TS since they both trade in II? If this is the case which Marriotts will trade well with Hyatt properties. Hyatt Highlands Inn is a bit different. It has only ibr premeir units and very few 2br. Just curious how easy/hard it is tot rade Marriott to Hyatt.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt Carmel is a very rare sighting in II. I have put in a request a couple of times (12 months before the stay) to this property using both a powerful Marriott trader and a fairly strong Vistana trader and have yet to have it be matched. It is rarely reported as a last minute sighting. If you want to stay at Hyatt Carmel, it is best that you buy there.

The main reason is that Hyatt Carmel is rarely deposited into II, and even when so, it is usually in the cold and rainy period like December or January.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
To be honest I Hyatt Highlands in Carmel is a favorite of mine. Been to Carmel but did not stay at HH. The only reason I do not buy there is that I don't like what's going on with all the uncertainity between the Hyatt Residence Club and the Hyatt Points Program. So Marriott seems like a better option to me at this point. However I am new to the Marriott forum and have a lot to learn. Can one trade into Hyatt in Carmel by owning a Marriott TS since they both trade in II? If this is the case which Marriotts will trade well with Hyatt properties. Hyatt Highlands Inn is a bit different. It has only ibr premeir units and very few 2br. Just curious how easy/hard it is tot rade Marriott to Hyatt.

I own a 2 bedroom lockoff at Ko Olina with Ocean View. I see Hyatt Carmel Higlands all the time for many different weeks for Getaways. They cost about $1800 per week as a Getaway.

Just a historical point, I stayed here in 2002 when it was the Carmel Highlands Inn. It used to be very upscale. The Highlands Inn has extensive history and many celebrities stayed here in the past. Now that Hyatt took it over, I believe it has lost some panache.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best options that give a lockoff feature, are relatively inexpensive, have decent maint fees and will trade relatively well include Harbour Lakes, Grande Vista, LV, Manor Club Sequel, Willow Ridge all Platinum as well as Gold desert resorts all come to mind. There are a few others where dues aren't too bad and/or they don't have lockoff's like Manor Club, Ocean Pointe Silver, Cypress Harbour (and other Orlando Marriott's), Doral, Grande Ocean Gold (& HHs resort with the same Calendar, not Barony or Surfwatch) and Legend's Edge. I'm sure I left something out, ? NJ for example. I would generally sacrifice price and dues somewhat up to a point for something I'd use part of the time but I would consider buying 2 (one to use and one to trade) for many situations like Maui for example. Some resorts/weeks will have over the moon trading power but will have high entrance costs and often high fees and as a rule, I'd discourage them for trading.

In general I'd question the wisdom of buying in just as a single trading week as a novice esp if one doesn't already have an II account anyway. Many of us have been there at one time or another and a significant portion of us continue to struggle with this question periodically. If you decide to proceed and are only looking at buying a true trading option, I'd formulate a list of acceptable resorts with a judgement of price you're OK with. Then once you find one that fits your parameters you can proceed. I've had a lot of luck with ebay and redweeks for this situation but I've also worked with brokers at times. I've gotten the best deals on ebay. Personally I have resorts I use or rent out and don't take DC points though I could, resorts that are enrolled I use mostly for DC points and resorts mostly or exclusively for trading some of which are not enrolled. You should spend enough time to you truly understand. By the time you're ready to proceed you should be able to answer this question adequately for someone else asking.

I think this is spot on. Do some research first if you want to make the best choice for full trader. We've been using the 2BR Palm Desert for 20 years (resale cost is quite low). We only need 1 BR, so, we trade the lockoff every year. So, we've traded to 15 (or so) non Marriotts. We've always been able to get to the destination we want, not necessarily a specific resort in a specific city on a specific date. But always to a specific destination in the timeframe we want. So, we get to stay where we want to stay (used the 1BR virtually every year) and always get to go somewhere else we want to go. The owners association is very good IMHO. I would not say it's better for trading than Grand Chateau or anywhere else as I don't own anywhere else (other than points). The others here know far more about trading "tricks", and I was just about to start a thread on a similar question to gain some more knowledge but surgery in the morning. Just saying that we've always been able to get anywhere we wanted to go. And not in low season. It is a good trader. Considering the not so bad MF (for Marriott), that one can trade a lockoff (which I value at ~$450 MF) for great weeks in so many locations we have been to, it's been great to us. So, in our case, the main reason to select the resort was we really did want to stay there, and we still want to 20 years later. It's like our second home now! But that is much different than your proposed use it sounds like.

We're adding a resale week this year to stay in each year but will not be paying for a separate II membership, too expensive for one non enrolled week. We'll simply pay the lockoff fee and rent the lockoff to get some of our MF back. We don't need another trade anyway. If you do trade the full unit only, you'll be paying for an II membership, no lockoff since you are trading the full unit, an exchange fee (which is higher for non Marriotts), and potentially a unit upgrade fee if you are going for more bedrooms. This can easily reach to $1,700+ counting MF, taxes, and II costs for a single week to trade. If you can get a place with an extra BR with a lockoff, then, your $1,700 for one week becomes ~$1,960 for 2 weeks assuming you are trading both to non Marriott. Sorry if I messed up the math here, in a rush.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think trading to that property consistently isn't feasible unless you simply put the entire year, have an ongoing search at least a year out and can accept last minute matches any time of the year. Even then it's unlikely to be a 2 BR. I don't know that property well enough for usage or prices to judge the reasonableness of buying there but in general terms, and if you want to stay there consistently, you'll likely need to buy Hyatt based at that location. As I understand Hyatt, which is minimal, as long as you own at that location, you should have a reasonable chance of getting there. Then the rest of the Hyatt gyrations in that situation likely wouldn't affect you as much as it might if you were trying to exchange to other Hyatt's using the points. I would not buy Marriott expecting to trade there consistently plus I don't think adding the trade costs and II fee would be reasonable for a single week. You might look at Marriott's Newport Coast as a possible alternative or at least as a comparison. Spend time learning and developing perspective and you'll make much better choices and be more comfortable doing so.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I can see I have my work cut out. There's a lot of good info hear to dig into. I'm starting to look for resales. While researching HGVC I found some good sites

Are DP only available through Marriott?

You can purchase resale DP from current owners. At one point the going rate without Marriott intervening with Right of First Refusal was $5 per point. Maybe someone else can give a more recent update. On top of that you must pay a junk fee tied to how many points you purchase but the minimum junk fee is 3000. With the fee it looks like a Marriott purchased point when trading for timeshares. Say you purchase 2000 points at $5 and add the junk fee so the cost is 13,000. You purchase a Grand Ocean summer for 11,000. You rent the GO for 2900 (low side) and use the money to rent DP (at .6 per point) and get 4800 DP. You now have 6800 points at a cost of 24,000 with a MF of about 2700 for all. This is at a cost per point of 3.52 and a MF of about .40 per point.

If you are just going to trade and are 100% sure you will not want points, I would go with the 3 BR Grand Chateau. I purchased the EOY two bedroom ignoring the advice of those that said go with a 3 bedroom. I was nervous because I was using it as a trader only and was not sure how well it trades. It trades very well and I should have followed the advice given. Someone may suggest other 3 bedroom and it may work well also. The reason the Grand Chateau is my pick is Marriott not using right of first refusal. I picked up the 2 BR every other year for 1800 all fess included.

Don't ignore getting a unit that rents very well. The thing I like about HHI is that people can drive from CT to Florida and for some reason Ohio has a lot of renters. When you eliminate the variable of flying, you get more takers. I absolutely enjoy the freedom to use the rental money to fully or partially fund trips outside of timeshare. This year I rented an Aruba Surf studio (900) , 2 round trip tickets (800) and have 1000 for food. I leave in two days. My wife had knee replacement surgery in December and doesn't return back to school until after spring break so for once in 35 years of Marriage I am not tied to a school schedule.

If you are going to jump into DP and rent, it may seem like I am pushing the GO and I am. I do not own there. I own at the Monarch. I own fixed Ocean view and Ocean front units and these units come up very infrequently. The Monarch on TUG is a lot like the Rocky Horror Show. It is not for most people but it has a very loyal following for people who enjoy it and for many reasons.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I see all of these Getaways for Hyatt Carmel right now. A few weeks ago, I saw even more but they are getting booked. We live about an hour or so from Carmel but I do not have interest in staying there right now - or I would book a week.

Availability For Highlands Inn

Highlands Inn
Carmel , CA , USA

HYI
icon_elite_small.png

Resort Details & Photos

$242.71
Platinum Avg. Night

Interval
Gold
Platinum

May 20 2018 - May 27 2018

icon_unit.gif

icon_kitchen.gif

icon_giftbox.gif

$75 Off Getaways
More details here!
$1,749.00 $1,724.00 $1,699.00

May 26 2018 - Jun 02 2018

icon_unit.gif

icon_kitchen.gif

icon_giftbox.gif

$75 Off Getaways
More details here!

May 27 2018 - Jun 03 2018

icon_unit.gif

icon_kitchen.gif

icon_giftbox.gif

$75 Off Getaways
More details here!

Jun 09 2018 - Jun 16 2018

icon_unit.gif

icon_kitchen.gif

icon_giftbox.gif

$75 Off Getaways
More details here!
$1,829.00 $1,804.00 $1,779.00

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you have an II account, you will see all inventory in Getaway. But when you are using a week to exchange for Hyatt Highlands Inn (Carmel), that is when they have hardly any inventory. Hyatt sells excess weeks through II Getaway. This inventory is separate from Exchange inventory. Do not count on exchanging into Hyatt Carmel in II, if you do, you will be sorely disappointed.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you have an II account, you will see all inventory in Getaway. But when you are using a week to exchange for Hyatt Highlands Inn (Carmel), that is when they have hardly any inventory. Hyatt sells excess weeks through II Getaway. This inventory is separate from Exchange inventory. Do not count on exchanging into Hyatt Carmel in II, if you do, you will be sorely disappointed.
Thanks for the heads up. IS getaways a cash deal. Can you buy less than week?