• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to bode well if MVC goes the same way. Those that had Gold or Plat through ownership get Gold or Plat post 8/1. If so, more reason to shoot for lifetime status.

https://www.vistana.com/news-faq

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/spg-marriott-unification.272779/page-4#post-2129347
But, good news is 5 Star is getting platinum elite with 5 suite nights per year without the 50 actual nights. For chairman’s club, I’d be happy with that over platinum preferred without the suite nights as many have assumed it would be.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
But, good news is 5 Star is getting platinum elite with 5 suite nights per year without the 50 actual nights. For chairman’s club, I’d be happy with that over platinum preferred without the suite nights as many have assumed it would be.
I got to admit that I am disappointed that MCVI has not yet sent out information regarding how ownership fits into the new Marriott 3-in-1 program. Vistana has beaten them to it.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
I got to admit that I am disappointed that MCVI has not yet sent out information regarding how ownership fits into the new Marriott 3-in-1 program. Vistana has beaten them to it.

Agreed

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
It doesn't seem to bode well if MVC goes the same way. Those that had Gold or Plat through ownership get Gold or Plat post 8/1. If so, more reason to shoot for lifetime status.

https://www.vistana.com/news-faq

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/spg-marriott-unification.272779/page-4#post-2129347

Isn't that's logical as far as Vistana is concerned? If a Vistana elite had SPG Platinum status, they should be matched to the new MRW Platinum, same as SPG Platinum members who earned their status the regular way.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham

As we've seen after Hurricane Irma, speed in communicating with owners is not one of MVCI's strengths!

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm skeptical that anyone will get the 5 suite night awards without actual nights spent. I hope award stays and MVCI timeshare stays will continue to count for night credit purposes. I don't think Vistana timeshare stays earn SPG night credits (same with HGVC/Hilton Honors and Wyndham/Wyndham Rewards) - this is an area where MVCI is better than the competition.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't that's logical as far as Vistana is concerned? If a Vistana elite had SPG Platinum status, they should be matched to the new MRW Platinum, same as SPG Platinum members who earned their status the regular way.
It does make sense I guess as the new levels are more in line with the ones from SPG vs those from the current MR program.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does make sense I guess as the new levels are more in line with the ones from SPG vs those from the current MR program.

The gentleman who I've heard credited with Marriott's new brand loyalty program is a career Starwood guy, who I've heard was an architect of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. I don't know him, but everything that I've heard about him is very positive, and my personal experience with the Starwood Preferred Guest Program is very positive.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-flueck-107a249/

Here he is (in my opinion, this 45 minute clip is worth watching/listening to (it starts out slow (with images, and then an empty stage))):

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
The gentleman who I've heard credited with Marriott's new brand loyalty program is a career Starwood guy, who I've heard was an architect of the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. I don't know him, but everything that I've heard about him is very positive, and my personal experience with the Starwood Preferred Guest Program is very positive.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-flueck-107a249/

Here he is (in my opinion, this 45 minute clip is worth watching/listening to (it starts out slow (with images, and then an empty stage))):

Very little detail in this video....more of a "we did a great job" piece. But I guess there is a place for that too.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score

I'm sure they are busy working around the clock to protect our rights and benefits. ;)

It is apparent to me from the materials released so far that the Marriott tiers are really just being renamed, which is a better look than renaming the SPG tiers to a "lower" name. I am sure there are lawyers out there who could make a case for breach of contract or some such claim, but even apart from that reducing the linked tiers from MVC would alienate a large group of their most loyal customers and be unbelievably foolish.

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
Am with MVC AP. Called the customer service to clarify and they mentioned come august. Select and Executive member Gold Elite will follow the combined programme match to become the Platinum. Presidential and Chairman will follow the combined programme match to become Platinum Premier status.

Somehow I feel that the vistana programme elite status match follows similarly to what the combined programme site mentioned. Similarly,MVC’s member will have their status matched accordingly...

mbaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
After the merger, MR Gold Elite members become Platinum Elite members, retaining lounge access, upgrades, etc. I would think MVC owners who are Gold Elite due to their DC points level would be converted to Platinum Elite as well.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
After the merger, MR Gold Elite members become Platinum Elite members, retaining lounge access, upgrades, etc. I would think MVC owners who are Gold Elite due to their DC points level would be converted to Platinum Elite as well.
This is what we all hope, but without any official communication from MVC we are all left to just speculate.

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
For non-Marriott owners, one can convert Marriott Reward Points to a 7-night travel package constituting 7 nights hotel stay and varying amount of miles. The number of miles is dependent on which category of hotel and airline you pick.

See link here: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

For Marriott owners, can you do so for 5-night travel package, constituting 5 nights hotel stay plus miles. This one you have to log on to MVC to see.

https://owners.marriottvacationclub.com/timeshare/mvco/marriottRewardsOwnerSpecials

I own Newport Coast EOYE (enrolled) and have never traded for Marriott Reward Points (2 bedroom no lock off) plus own trust points. I have traded Marriott Reward points for free nights, 4 to 5 free nights. How do owners versus non owners differ per your links? How does airline points groups work with Marriott (Groups 1, 2, and 3)? Do I have to collect airline points and Use Marriott Reward points for travel and hotels? Or do I use Marriott points for groups 1 to 3 (top part of link) as well as points in lower part category 1 through 9?

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot's Harbour Lake , Sheraton Vistana Villages
I wish Marriott adopt Sheraton's easy to use point system with timeshare booking.
:rolleyes:

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I didn't have enough to quality for Lifetimes on either of the older calculation methods. Marriott plenty enough nights but not enough points. Starwood not enough nights.

However combined I will be Lifetime Gold. I will need 2 more years of Platinum qualification and 75 nights to become Lifetime Platinum.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Newport Coast EOYE (enrolled) and have never traded for Marriott Reward Points (2 bedroom no lock off) plus own trust points. I have traded Marriott Reward points for free nights, 4 to 5 free nights. How do owners versus non owners differ per your links? How does airline points groups work with Marriott (Groups 1, 2, and 3)? Do I have to collect airline points and Use Marriott Reward points for travel and hotels? Or do I use Marriott points for groups 1 to 3 (top part of link) as well as points in lower part category 1 through 9?
Non-owner, one can redeem MRP for 7 nights hotel stay plus airline miles. Marriott owner has the option to redeem for 5 nights and airline miles. Did you click on the 2 links?

The groupings simply apply to different airline miles programs.

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott does have an easy to use points system. It is called Destinations Club points program. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Nah , Sheraton's is much easier IMHO I would love to sell one of our weeks and I can't decide Marriott or Sheraton. We love Marriott better but find Sheraton easier to use...:shrug:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nah , Sheraton's is much easier IMHO I would love to sell one of our weeks and I can't decide Marriott or Sheraton. We love Marriott better but find Sheraton easier to use...:shrug:
Is any of your Marriott weeks enrolled? If not, you are comparing oranges with apples.

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How does that work?
You have certain amounts of points( Starpoints or something like that they call it , always changing), and you use them whenever and wherever you want to.
For example , I need two one bedroom or 3 bedroom lockoff in Orlando in October , but because they have no available villa in our season at Harbour Lake , we probably will lose this year usage , because I was late with reservation. Probably they have av unit at another Marriott resort in Orlando , but we can't use it , only through II , and for a fee.
On the other side , I will try to book our week( actually just 4 days) at Vistana Villages , if there is no available unit , then just go to Vistana Resort. No fee , no II involved....

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.