• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that MVC still hasn't provided any information to owners regarding the impact of the new program on MVC benefits. The only information I have seen was posted on Marriott Insiders specifying that we would still receive the 'arrival points' (depending on status) for MVC stays. I still haven't seen any information regarding the status levels or whether we will continue receive night credits for our MVC stays. Fortunately for me, I will be grandfathered in as lifetime Platinum P due to my lifetime Platinum MR status.
I was disappointed that moderators chose to combine this post with the general thread regarding the MR/SPG program merger and changes. I strongly believe that the changes in these programs that are directly related to MVC ownership justify a separate thread, so the updates don't get lost. This will assure that any information regarding MR benefits related to MVC ownership are quickly apparent to all of us with Marriott timeshare ownership. I hope the moderators will reconsider their decision and create a separate thread for the timeshare related changes to the program

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I was disappointed that moderators chose to combine this post with the general thread regarding the MR/SPG program merger and changes. I strongly believe that the changes in these programs that are directly related to MVC ownership justify a separate thread, so the updates don't get lost. This will assure that any information regarding MR benefits related to MVC ownership are quickly apparent to all of us with Marriott timeshare ownership. I hope the moderators will reconsider their decision and create a separate thread for the timeshare related changes to the program

Understood, but there's already a ton of speculation in this thread about how MVW ownership will be impacted, and leaving your questions in a separate thread will only serve to encourage duplicate posts and disjointed info. When MVW releases info or a FAQ that offers more than speculation, a new and separate thread will be a good idea.

(I don't ever mind answering questions about my TUG moderation but if it's necessary to keep this discussion going, can we please follow the TUG Rules and take it off the public forum and into a private conversation? Thanks!)

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will Chairman’s Club members get Ambassador status? I haven’t seen that indicated anywhere.

VERY unlikely. Seems Ambassador is only attainable with an annual spend. No LT options, regardless of status achieved.

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
Called membership services... still no news till date... what is taking them so long?

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a record of when MVCI started giving Marriott Rewards Status for various levels? I believe it was 2012 or so. I am trying to determine how many years of Gold and Platinum I've had for purposes of the new lifetime status. I called Marriott and SPG and both gave me numbers but they were very unsure. Thanks.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
Does anyone have a record of when MVCI started giving Marriott Rewards Status for various levels? I believe it was 2012 or so. I am trying to determine how many years of Gold and Platinum I've had for purposes of the new lifetime status. I called Marriott and SPG and both gave me numbers but they were very unsure. Thanks.

Only for a year or so since the merger because Starwood timeshare owners were given SPG status base on ownership so it equalized things.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only for a year or so since the merger because Starwood timeshare owners were given SPG status base on ownership so it equalized things.

Thanks. I was thinking that it was later than 2012, but the Marriott agent's answer made me think my memory was off. Marriott says that I had Marriott Gold starting in 2012. That is odd because my status has always been in SPG, in spite of my Marriott time shares. This discussion makes me think that Marriott is wrong and somehow they are seeing my SPG status or something. However, my SPG status started in more like 1999 so who knows what they are seeing. It would be nice if we could see it. But, they said that may not show until August.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks. I was thinking that it was later than 2012, but the Marriott agent's answer made me think my memory was off. Marriott says that I had Marriott Gold starting in 2012. That is odd because my status has always been in SPG, in spite of my Marriott time shares. This discussion makes me think that Marriott is wrong and somehow they are seeing my SPG status or something. However, my SPG status started in more like 1999 so who knows what they are seeing. It would be nice if we could see it. But, they said that may not show until August.
If you bought direct from Marriott, they used to offer gold or platinum status for three years depending on how much you bought and what level that purchase took you to. They started offering this years ago, perhaps as far back as 2012.

sdtugger

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you bought direct from Marriott, they used to offer gold or platinum status for three years depending on how much you bought and what level that purchase took you to. They started offering this years ago, perhaps as far back as 2012.
I bought resale. So, that can't explain the Marriott answer. I am thinking that their systems may be seeing both rewards programs already or something.

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can’t get through all these pages. A couple of questions.

Current Starwood points transferred into Marriott count as points for MR lifetime status, yes?

And are Chase UR points transferred 1:1 to MR counting toward lifetime points?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Current Starwood points transferred into Marriott count as points for MR lifetime status, yes?

No. Points transferred from Starwood do not count towards MR lifetime status.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
No. Points transferred from Starwood do not count towards MR lifetime status.
What happens to the SPG after combining then? They have counted previously; all points had from however we got them.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
What happens to the SPG after combining then? They have counted previously; all points had from however we got them.

Not sure what "they" is that has counted. It hasn't been Starpoints.

Purchased points count. Also, Chase Ultimate Rewards points count when transferred. However, when the Starpoints transfer to MR you will receive three MR points for each Starpoint transferred but those new MR points will not count towards lifetime status in MR.

As a workaround, if both you and your spouse have both Marriott and Starwood accounts:
1) You can transfer your Starwood points to your spouse. 2) Your spouse can then transfer those Starwood points to their own Marriott account. 3) Then your spouse can transfer those Marriott points to your Marriott account. 4) Those Marriott Rewards Point transferred into your Marriott account will count towards lifetime status.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the new elite program, points are not counted or tracked. However, if you are trying to qualify for lifetime status by end 2018, then old program rules apply separately for SPG and Marriott.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
The UR have been counting here at this final hour? Probably worth it to do that to get to lifetime platinum.

What is the DC to MR ratio now?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
SPG never counted lifetime points. Thus why they don't count when you transfer from SPG to MR. Any SPG points converted on 8/1 won't count either.

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't find a definitive answer to this, and am hoping someone here can help. I know that my spouse can transfer 50,000 MRP from her account to my account per year. I also know that she can transfer more than 50,000 points if it is to complete a reservation. My question is, if she transfers me 100,000 points to complete a reservation will the entire 100,000 be credited to my lifetime points total, or only the 50,000?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I can't find a definitive answer to this, and am hoping someone here can help. I know that my spouse can transfer 50,000 MRP from her account to my account per year. I also know that she can transfer more than 50,000 points if it is to complete a reservation. My question is, if she transfers me 100,000 points to complete a reservation will the entire 100,000 be credited to my lifetime points total, or only the 50,000?
All of it.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of it.

Really? This counts for lifetime points? If so, I presume the transferrer loses the amount of lifetime points?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
RE Marriott points transfer between accounts:
1. Does Marriott really charge to transfer MR points between spousal accounts? I thought I saw somewhere on website last year a small charge, maybe $10.
Starwood didn't charge, so we transferred starpoints between us, and then starpoints to Marriott, to consolidate in to my Marriott account for travel package redemption.
2. How long does Marriott take to transfer points between accounts?
Starwood said it would take 7 business days between Starwood accounts, and it did take the whole 7 days. Not sure why it took so long.

I need to consolidate all our starpoints into one account again before August. Not sure if transfer within Marriott is better(faster & cheaper) than transfer within Starwood.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Really? This counts for lifetime points? If so, I presume the transferrer loses the amount of lifetime points?
Yes, they subtract from the lifetime points total of the person transferring them out. So technically, someone could lose lifetime status if the they were only barely over the lifetime points threshold.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
RE Marriott points transfer between accounts:
1. Does Marriott really charge to transfer MR points between spousal accounts? I thought I saw somewhere on website last year a small charge, maybe $10.
Starwood didn't charge, so we transferred starpoints between us, and then starpoints to Marriott, to consolidate in to my Marriott account for travel package redemption.
2. How long does Marriott take to transfer points between accounts?
Starwood said it would take 7 business days between Starwood accounts, and it did take the whole 7 days. Not sure why it took so long.

I need to consolidate all our starpoints into one account again before August. Not sure if transfer within Marriott is better(faster & cheaper) than transfer within Starwood.
1. It's $10...waived if you are Platinum (maybe Gold as well). I've done it twice; fee waived both times since I was Platinum.

I believe you have to call to do it. My wife had to get on the phone, give her info, and say she agreed to the transfer.

2. Immediately. Refresh when the rep says the transfer is done and you'll see it in you account.

Status
Not open for further replies.