• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't find a definitive answer to this, and am hoping someone here can help. I know that my spouse can transfer 50,000 MRP from her account to my account per year. I also know that she can transfer more than 50,000 points if it is to complete a reservation. My question is, if she transfers me 100,000 points to complete a reservation will the entire 100,000 be credited to my lifetime points total, or only the 50,000?
definitely 100,000, have done this many times in each direction.

she is also allowed to purchase 50000 per year and 32000 SPG (96000 MR) per year which can then be converted to MR points, all of these can be transferred to you to complete a reservation if you are trying to bump your lifetime point total.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
1. It's $10...waived if you are Platinum (maybe Gold as well). I've done it twice; fee waived both times since I was Platinum.

I believe you have to call to do it. My wife had to get on the phone, give her info, and say she agreed to the transfer.

2. Immediately. Refresh when the rep says the transfer is done and you'll see it in you account.

Thx, since I'm not in any need to use pts soon, I'll request Starwood to do transfer to save $10 :)

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would it be cheaper to buy the 30,000 SPG points for 682 and transfer them for 90,000 MR points or should my spouse and I each buy 50,000 MR points?

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the below, purchased points do not count towards elite status. I assume if I transfer these purchased SPG points to Marriott at 3:1 they wont count towards Marriott elite status as well?

upload_2018-6-15_14-24-3.png

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
30,000 is 682.50. So, yes, that is correct, .76, clearly I messed up somewhere! I might have accidentally used the wrong column. In fact, I did since the original cost comes out to 1.16 cents each, ooops. So, this makes it an easy choice since they are worth more than the cost!

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty good purchase price. Does anyone know if the conversion from SPG to MR points "washes" the purchase stank from the points such that they would count toward lifetime? My guess is no.

However, a spouse could buy them, convert to MR points and then transfer those MR points to the receiving spouse and they would come across as LT. Since they weren't added to the transferring spouse's LT account (b/c purchased) would they still be deducted from transferring spouse's LT amount (i.e., a net drop from before the transaction ever began)?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That's a pretty good purchase price. Does anyone know if the conversion from SPG to MR points "washes" the purchase stank from the points such that they would count toward lifetime? My guess is no.

However, a spouse could buy them, convert to MR points and then transfer those MR points to the receiving spouse and they would come across as LT. Since they weren't added to the transferring spouse's LT account (b/c purchased) would they still be deducted from transferring spouse's LT amount (i.e., a net drop from before the transaction ever began)?
You may find people with actual experience testing this out over on FlyerTalk.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Wouldn't 90,000 MR points (after the 3 for 1 exchange from Starpoints) for $682.50 be 0.76 cents per point?

I coincidentally saw just the same 'sale' this morning, was glad I didn't miss it (I got an email in late May about sale but too busy with work ...)
I calculated similar cost per MR point (2.27 per SP), but actually would be closer to 2.1c per SP if using the Starwood Amex at 3x/dollar.
Gonna use my new Marriott card to see if they give 2X or 6X/dollar. Even with 2X, it helps with the $5K spend in 3 months :)

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Based on the below, purchased points do not count towards elite status. I assume if I transfer these purchased SPG points to Marriott at 3:1 they wont count towards Marriott elite status as well?

View attachment 7091
Correct, they do not count toward lifetime status.

I transferred some points last year. While my MR points increased, my lifetime total did not.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1. It's $10...waived if you are Platinum (maybe Gold as well). I've done it twice; fee waived both times since I was Platinum.

I was curious on what it cost to buy Marriott points, and on the website saw a link about transfers.
Good to see the transfer fee is waived for Gold as well, cause we are Gold thru Starwood.
We didn't initially value Starwood Gold so much the first couple of years we had it, but the combined bennies of Marriott and Starwood gold are really adding up :)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

If you really want the purchased points to count, you can do the following. As long as you and your spouse have both Starwood and Marriott accounts, the following really does work.

As a workaround, if both you and your spouse have both Marriott and Starwood accounts:
1) You can transfer your Starwood points to your spouse. 2) Your spouse can then transfer those Starwood points to their own Marriott account. 3) Then your spouse can transfer those Marriott points to your Marriott account. 4) Those Marriott Rewards Point transferred into your Marriott account will count towards lifetime status.

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
Hi All, am current a Marriott Vacation Club Asia Pacific Select Tier Member.

As all fellow MVC members who are also aware and currently equally concern just like me, what will happen to current members come the merger this 1 August. I've been constantly following up with the membership service to better understand what is going to happen. Based on the past few calls and follow up, here is what I understood and being assured by them.

Current Status

MVC: Select, Executive Level -> Marriott Rewards: Gold Elite Level
MVC: Presidential, Chairman Level -> Marriott Rewards: Platinum Level

Come August 1
MVC: Select, Executive Level -> Newly Merged Marriott Rewards: Platinum Level
MVC: Presidential, Chairman Level -> Newly Merged Marriott Rewards: Platinum Premier Level

I've asked repeatedly if this is confirmed and they told me this is so. However, the pairing will continue if and only if the partnership between Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott International still exist (separate entities I suppose?). That means that as long as Marriott Vacation Club ceased partnership with Marriott International, such tiering will be gone. I supposed it's in a way to protect themselves that it's not forever "assured".

But as of now, they told me the transition come August 1 will be following Marriott Rewards transition and it will remains if the partnership with Marriott Rewards continue.

I've asked that why there was no formal announcement, they mentioned that the announcement will like to take place only after August 1.

So far, I guess it's quite similar to what Steven had shared during the Maui Presentation. Just need more relevant sharing from relevant departments.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hi All, am current a Marriott Vacation Club Asia Pacific Select Tier Member. ...

Moderator Note: Threads merged.

As much as the subject 'What may happen to MVC ownership-related Marriott Rewards status when Marriott Int'l rolls out its combined loyalty program' is coming up in threads with different main topics because of its wide-ranging impact, I am trying to limit the number of threads dedicated to only this subject. As indicated in Post #327, "... there's already a ton of speculation in this thread about how MVW ownership will be impacted, and leaving your questions in a separate thread will only serve to encourage duplicate posts and disjointed info. When MVW releases info or a FAQ that offers more than speculation, a new and separate thread will be a good idea."

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Because of the murkiness of these changes in Elite MR levels and Vacation Club status, and because civilians, non Tuggers, are so uninformed or confused, the queue to talk to a vacation advisor has grown exponentially. Where W = wait time, and T = talk time W= 8T right now.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip>
Current Status
MVC: Presidential, Chairman Level -> Marriott Rewards: Platinum Level

Come August 1
MVC: Presidential, Chairman Level -> Newly Merged Marriott Rewards: Platinum Premier Level

As mentioned in another thread, this is the same I was told yesterday in an email from an MVC sales representative. Hope it is true.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
That, and so many don't know how or are just scared to do things online that can be done there. Which is their choice, nothing wrong with that I suppose. It's just too bad more don't do things online where possible. The website has gained some functionality lately, which is good. Now it's a matter of people realizing it, perhaps that will eventually help some. If they continue to add to the site, that is a good thing IMHO.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I recall, in 20 years, I have actually never called MVCI for anything. I may have called the MR line once, just can't remember for sure.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I recall, in 20 years, I have actually never called MVCI for anything. I may have called the MR line once, just can't remember for sure.
You do need to call MVCI if you want to cancel an exchange, lock off after you have booked your week, book at 13 months out,...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
You do need to call MVCI if you want to cancel an exchange, lock off after you have booked your week, book at 13 months out,...

I know. I just have never done those things! So, you can't blame me for holding up the line. :banana:

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score

no to first question, yes to second....

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)
We've been planning a trip to Hawaii summer of 2019 for a few years with my brother and his family and my sister and her family. The plan all along has been to do a travel package for the airline miles stay a week in the Waikoloa Beach resort hotel portion with the travel package for the first week. Then on To Kawai for the second week. Arrival date is July 27, 2019. It would be a category eight travel package seven days. But we can only book 50 weeks out which means we will miss the opportunity to book under the current Marriott rewards points categories because we can only book 50 weeks out which will be mid-August.

I just called Marriott Rewards and spoke with a great rep for almost an hour. Explained this whole situation and asked what my options are.

He said a lot of new information just came out today. He spent a long time searching through it. The bottom line is we cannot book Waikoloa under the current travel packages and current categories. We can purchase the category eight travel packages now and make up the difference in points if the per night requirement is more. They will also give us back points if the per night requirement is less than the current 40,000. And my guess is it will cost us extra points to book that hotel.

The new travel packages starting in August are going to be greatly devalued.

The new travel packages will have only two columns one for 50,000 miles and one for 100,000 miles. So a travel package for 100,000 miles for a room that's about 40,000 points per night will cost 390,000 points. That is equivalent to the current category eight travel package which gives you 120,000 miles and cost 360,000 points.

He said to look for an email in the next couple days detailing all of this stuff. I think I am going to buy as many travel packages as we can now to get the miles and hope we're allowed to extend the hotel certs out because we won't be able to use them all in the next year. And by now I mean before August 1, once the email comes and I've had time to digest the info and hear what all you smart people have to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.