• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
If buying travel packages before 1 Aug is deemed to be the most beneficial approach to handicapping travel package value, I guess it would makes sense to move all my SPG points over to MR points now vs waiting for the automatic transfer on 1Aug, correct?

Whether I use them or not for travel packages, there’s no reason to keep them in SPG, which at least gives me last minute options for travel packages, right?

Lastly, when buying packages do you have to designate which FF miles account they go to or can that be delayed?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you move from your SPG account to your Marriott account, the points typically show up immediately. I move mine over regularly.

You do have to tell them which FF miles account you want the miles to be credited to. Sometimes miles show up after a couple of days and other times 2 to 3 weeks. The number of miles vary not only with the number of points in travel package that you choose, but also with the airlines. For instance, I typically pick Delta or United, and I get 120K Delta miles or 132K United miles for the same redempton travel package points.

Dbears0520

Reaction score
This thread seems to have lost steam and ventured afield. Does anybody know if MVC will continue to award Marriott status and if so what status for Executive Level? If I will be losing Marriott status I may need to keep or get a marriott credit card. We are getting awfully close to August.

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread seems to have lost steam and ventured afield. Does anybody know if MVC will continue to award Marriott status and if so what status for Executive Level? If I will be losing Marriott status I may need to keep or get a marriott credit card. We are getting awfully close to August.

Thanks,

Mike (Da Bears)
No announcement yet.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I spoke to Marriott Vacation Club yesterday and they said as of now, the levels in Marriott Rewards will remain the same. If you are Executive in MVC, you will remain Gold level in MR. Things could change once the integration happens but they do not know.

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like an opinion. I have been doing everything possible to get to Lifetime Gold in the existing MR program so that I can be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum in the new system. I have plenty of nights and am now 150,000 short of points. My wife has 114,000 she can transfer me immediately, and I could buy the remaining 36,000 needed. I could do this before August 1. We just spent two weeks at the Maui Ocean Club and used my wife's MR card. On August 8, probably another 20,000+ points would be available for her to transfer to me which would leave me with fewer points to purchase.

My question, should I spend the few hundred extra dollars to buy the points to get my Lifetime Gold status prior to August 1, or just trust that it will make no difference whether I make the lifetime goal before or after August 1?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like an opinion. I have been doing everything possible to get to Lifetime Gold in the existing MR program so that I can be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum in the new system. I have plenty of nights and am now 150,000 short of points. My wife has 114,000 she can transfer me immediately, and I could buy the remaining 36,000 needed. I could do this before August 1. We just spent two weeks at the Maui Ocean Club and used my wife's MR card. On August 8, probably another 20,000+ points would be available for her to transfer to me which would leave me with fewer points to purchase.

My question, should I spend the few hundred extra dollars to buy the points to get my Lifetime Gold status prior to August 1, or just trust that it will make no difference whether I make the lifetime goal before or after August 1?
You have until Dec 31 to achieve lifetime Gold/Platinum under old rules. You can only transfer 50K from her account to yours. You can buy another 50K for $625. Do you have a Marriott Visa? You can prepay maintenance fees etc and the points associated with the credit card will count.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You have until Dec 31 to achieve lifetime Gold/Platinum under old rules. You can only transfer 50K from her account to yours. You can buy another 50K for $625. Do you have a Marriott Visa? You can prepay maintenance fees etc and the points associated with the credit card will count.
You can transfer more than 50K points between accounts if you are using them to redeem an award. Then after they are transferred, just cancel the points booking. The points don't go back.

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
No announcement yet.
Learnt from some rumours that they are continuing to give select level and above platinum and above. Hope that’s true, not sure why mvc took so long to make a formal announcement...

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Learnt from some rumours that they are continuing to give select level and above platinum and above. Hope that’s true, not sure why mvc took so long to make a formal announcement...

If this is the announcement, was it a formal rumour? :D

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"continuing"? :) Select and Executive are currently at Gold, continuing implies Gold.

Pocky87

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Vacation Club AP
"continuing"? :) Select and Executive are currently at Gold, continuing implies Gold.
Transition from gold to platinum. While chariman and presidential level get platinum premier.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I spoke to Marriott Vacation Club yesterday and they said as of now, the levels in Marriott Rewards will remain the same. If you are Executive in MVC, you will remain Gold level in MR. Things could change once the integration happens but they do not know.

The problem is that the "new" gold is not very good. No breakfast/lounge access etc. Current golds through standard MR are moving to Plat. Gold will be very similar to Silver today.

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can transfer more than 50K points between accounts if you are using them to redeem an award. Then after they are transferred, just cancel the points booking. The points don't go back.

So, I had been told by multiple people that this works for lifetime points. I was 150,000 points shy of making Lifetime Gold (Platinum in new program) and was trying to make it before the mid-August merger date. I had my wife transfer 134,000 points to my account to complete a reservation with the plan to purchase the other 16,000. She did it, but they only credited 84,000 points to my lifetime points balance. That doesn't even make any sense. If they were not going to let the full 134,000 count you would think they would only credit the 50,000. WTH? Now, I'm 66,000 points short and can't even purchase that many to finish up. I called and talked to a "supervisor" who tried to tell me that points transferred for reservations don't count at all toward lifetime, and then he could not explain why the 84,000 had been added to my lifetime but not the 50,000. He obviously was not interested in helping me so I just gave up. I am not a happy camper right now.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I had been told by multiple people that this works for lifetime points. I was 150,000 points shy of making Lifetime Gold (Platinum in new program) and was trying to make it before the mid-August merger date. I had my wife transfer 134,000 points to my account to complete a reservation with the plan to purchase the other 16,000. She did it, but they only credited 84,000 points to my lifetime points balance. That doesn't even make any sense. If they were not going to let the full 134,000 count you would think they would only credit the 50,000. WTH? Now, I'm 66,000 points short and can't even purchase that many to finish up. I called and talked to a "supervisor" who tried to tell me that points transferred for reservations don't count at all toward lifetime, and then he could not explain why the 84,000 had been added to my lifetime but not the 50,000. He obviously was not interested in helping me so I just gave up. I am not a happy camper right now.

It has been confirmed multiple times that you have until 12.31.18 to meet the lifetime points and nights requirements. 4 mos. to get 66k points? It is do-able!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
That makes absolutely no sense at all!! I would call back and talk to someone else. I can't think of any reason at all that the full amount shouldn't have counted towards LT status. You need to call back. I certainly will if it happens when I make a transfer from my mom's account to mine.

Is there any chance that in the past you transferred points from your account to hers? All I can think of is if at some time in the past you transferred points from your account to hers, Marriott might not have subtracted them from your LT status at that time and when they came back into your account from your wife's account that's why they didn't count. I know, I know - I'm giving the IT people a lot of credit that they could actually program the system to automatically "know" what happened.

I honestly can't think of another reason they wouldn't count.

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
That makes absolutely no sense at all!! I would call back and talk to someone else. I can't think of any reason at all that the full amount shouldn't have counted towards LT status. You need to call back. I certainly will if it happens when I make a transfer from my mom's account to mine.

Is there any chance that in the past you transferred points from your account to hers? All I can think of is if at some time in the past you transferred points from your account to hers, Marriott might not have subtracted them from your LT status at that time and when they came back into your account from your wife's account that's why they didn't count. I know, I know - I'm giving the IT people a lot of credit that they could actually program the system to automatically "know" what happened.

I honestly can't think of another reason they wouldn't count.

No, no other transfers between our accounts. Hers was just set up a couple of months ago - got the new credit card (100,000 points) and two months of heavy spending (34,000 points) - just for the purpose of transferring me the points so I could get the lifetime status. Well, best laid plans, etc.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I wonder if for some reason the remaining 50K will post under a separate transaction for some reason. Perhaps give it a look in another day or two. Just spit balling ideas as this sounds very odd.

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if for some reason the remaining 50K will post under a separate transaction for some reason. Perhaps give it a look in another day or two. Just spit balling ideas as this sounds very odd.

They both posted. Like this:

upload_2018-8-9_15-18-11.png

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, don't give up!! Call back and speak to another supervisor because something is not right. And please, let us know how it turns out!

No, no other transfers between our accounts. Hers was just set up a couple of months ago - got the new credit card (100,000 points) and two months of heavy spending (34,000 points) - just for the purpose of transferring me the points so I could get the lifetime status. Well, best laid plans, etc.

BigMac

Reaction score
For those of you MVC "elites" here is a leaked copy of Marriotts T&C's as it pertains to MVC ownership.
  1. 7. MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB®, MARRIOTT GRAND RESIDENCE CLUB® AND VISTANA SIGNATURE EXPERIENCES
  2. 7.1 Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club
  3. 7.1.a Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club owners eligible to participate in the Loyalty Program through ownership of a Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interest (collectively, “MVC Owners”) are subject to the Program Rules, and to any additional rules and regulations promulgated by Marriott Ownership Resorts, Inc. and/or Marriott Resorts, Travel Company, Inc. d/b/a MVC Exchange Company or their respective affiliates or subsidiaries (each an “MVC Entity”), as such rules and regulations may be modified from time to time (collectively, “MVC Rules”). 7.1.b MVC Owners who receive Loyalty Program Elite upgrades as part of their owner benefits are subject to the Program Rules, as may be modified from time to time pursuant to section 1.7.c, and to the MVC Rules, including without limitation the following: i. MVC Owners who achieve a “Select” or “Executive” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations® Exchange Program (“MVC Exchange Program”), and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Elite status, and are not subject to the Platinum Elite Minimum Requirement to maintain Platinum Elite status every year. MVC Owners who achieve a “Presidential” or “Chairman’s Club” level of membership through their ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests, or their enrollment in the MVC Exchange Program, and certain other individuals designated by an MVC Entity, may be offered Loyalty Program Platinum Premier Elite status, and are not subject to the Platinum Premier Elite Minimum Requirement to maintain Platinum Premier Elite status every year. ii. An MVC Owner will remain his or her Elite status, provided that such MVC Owner: (i) maintains his/her membership level through ownership of Marriott Vacation Club and/or and Marriott Grand Residence Club timeshare interests or enrollment in the MVC Exchange Program; (ii) is current in all maintenance fees, MVC Exchange Company dues, fees, taxes, and other payments; and (iii) is current in any other payments owed to any MVC Entity. iii. Elite status and any accumulated Points in an MVC Owner’s Loyalty Program Membership Account do not transfer upon sale of their timeshare interest to a third party. 7.1.c Due to the nature of Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties, the following special conditions apply to their participation in the Loyalty Program: i. Members will earn Elite Night Credit for a Qualifying Stay at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties, and for stays at Participating Properties as part of the MVC Exchange Program (e.g. City Explorer). ii. Members will earn Points or Miles for all Qualifying Charges at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties. iii. Members do not receive the following benefits (as defined in Section 4) at Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club properties: Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrades, late checkout, Suite Night Awards, Guaranteed Room Type, 48-Hour Guaranteed Availability, or Your24. iv. Free Night Awards at Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties must be booked at least one (1) day in advance of arrival. Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties either do not participate or do not fully participate in the “No Blackout Dates” benefit at this time. v. Instant Redemption Awards are not available at Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club properties. vi. Points acquired through ownership of an interest at a Marriott Vacation Club or Marriott Grand Residence Club property may not be used to request an Award Redemption Stay reservation at a Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club or Vistana Signature Experiences property.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.