• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
So if you are at Presidential Level in MVC, what would you be in Marriott Rewards now?

Presidential in MVC has Platinum level currently, so that would move to Platinum Premier. Same thing for Chairman level in MVC.

Mike

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
One thing I noticed regarding the Marriott Visa benefits is that you get one free night worth up to 35,000 MRPs each year. However, a category 5 room during peak season requires 40,000 MRPs. So, we won't be able to use it during peak periods. Bummer. However, we will earn 6x points instead of 5x for Marriott stays.

Mike

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am MVC Executive level (7000 points) now with MR Gold Elite status. So does that mean I would become Platinum level in the new MR program as of August 1st?

If I upgrade to Presidential level before August 1st (10,000 points), does that mean I would be Platinum Premier in new MR program?

I was planning to eventually upgrade to Presidential level but this might make it happen sooner rather than later.

magicjourney

Reaction score
With 300+ nights in Marriott, and 300+ nights in SPG, guess I will be lifetime Platinum after merger. Wondering if I can change my marriott# associated with my MVC chairman account to my wife's marriott#, so both of us can be Platinum?

Very disappointed Lifetime Platinum doesn't get 5 annual suite upgrades. Previously Platinum from MVC chairman/presidential is ranked No.2 after platinum premier, but now it moves down to No.4 after PLT100, PLT75 and PLT50. It approves again merger is always bad for royal customers.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am MVC Executive level (7000 points) now with MR Gold Elite status. So does that mean I would become Platinum level in the new MR program as of August 1st?

If I upgrade to Presidential level before August 1st (10,000 points), does that mean I would be Platinum Premier in new MR program?

I was planning to eventually upgrade to Presidential level but this might make it happen sooner rather than later.
Yes. Actually I correct myself. MVC will need to send out the clarification.

magicjourney

Reaction score

I guess Executive will get Gold, Presidential/Chairman will get Platinum in new Marriott program.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With 300+ nights in Marriott, and 300+ nights in SPG, guess I will be lifetime Platinum after merger. Wondering if I can change my marriott# associated with my MVC chairman account to my wife's marriott#, so both of us can be Platinum?

Very disappointed Lifetime Platinum doesn't get 5 annual suite upgrades. Previously Platinum from MVC chairman/presidential is ranked No.2 after platinum premier, but now it moves down to No.4 after PLT100, PLT75 and PLT50. It approves again merger is always bad for royal customers.
What makes you believe so? The way it is worded on the table with the 3 levels, i.e. SPG current, MR current and future merged... MR Platinum moves to Platinum Premier.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I guess Executive will get Gold, Presidential/Chairman will get Platinum in new Marriott program.

I thought Gold turns into Platinum and Platinum turns into Platinum Elite. Is this correct?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I thought Gold turns into Platinum and Platinum turns into Platinum Elite. Is this correct?
Platinum becomes Platinum Premier. We have no idea on how MVC will map over to the new status tiers. They could keep the same map to gold and platinum that they have today or they may change it based on the changes to the MR program. Who knows.

ETA, if Platinum Premier and Ambassador have a minimum cash spend of $20K, I don't see how MVC could put people in to those categories?

Last edited:

magicjourney

Reaction score
What makes you believe so? The way it is worded on the table with the 3 levels, i.e. SPG current, MR current and future merged... MR Platinum moves to Platinum Premier.

Maybe I am too pessimistic. Hope MVC can negotiate a deal with Marriott to move the status one level up. Otherwise, base on current wording in document, Marriott could give platinum to Chairman/Presidential from next year.

magicjourney

Reaction score
MVC also needs to clarify if matched platinum will be treated as regular platinum or lifetime platinum (no 5 annual suite upgrades). The suite upgrade will be crucial in the future when you compete with more platinum for upgrade. Personally, I will be happy to be a platinum with suite upgrades vs. platinum premier w/o suite upgrades.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I have my gold status in SPG and MR through Vistana (formerly Starwood). As per above, curious what that becomes.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
MVC also need to clarify if matched platinum will be treated as regular platinum or lifetime platinum (no 5 annual suite upgrades). The suite upgrade will be crucial in the future when you compete with more platinum for upgrade.
The Suite Night Awards indicate they come with xx qualifying nights. It doesn't seem that lifetime anything would get you that unless you still stay the qualifying nights? If you are just Platinum or Platinum Elite because of MVC owner status, you may not qualify for Suite Night Awards at all unless you actually meet the 50/75 night threshold. This is of course all just speculation.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC also needs to clarify if matched platinum will be treated as regular platinum or lifetime platinum (no 5 annual suite upgrades). The suite upgrade will be crucial in the future when you compete with more platinum for upgrade. Personally, I will be happy to be a platinum with suite upgrades vs. platinum premier w/o suite upgrades.
Platinum gets 5 nights suite upgrade, Platinum Premier gets another 5 nights suite upgrade, and it is awarded when the 50 nights and 75 nights are achieved.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Platinum gets 5 nights suite upgrade, Platinum Premier gets 10, 5 plus 5 additional.
What is the difference between "Enhanced Room Upgrade/Including Select Suites" and "Suite Night Awards"?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between "Enhanced Room Upgrade/Including Select Suites" and "Suite Night Awards"?
Dunno - I think enhanced when it is not guaranteed... just an upgrade or to a suite if available. Like what you said, ownership of timeshare may not get suite upgrades regardless of Platinum or Platinum Premier.

I copied this from the table lower down, one at 50 and the other one at 75. These I believe are guaranteed.
Annual Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 50 qualifying nights

Additional Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 75 qualifying nights

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Dunno - I think enhanced when it is not guaranteed... just an upgrade or to a suite if available. Like what you said, ownership of timeshare may not get suite upgrades regardless of Platinum or Platinum Premier.

I copied this from the table lower down, one at 50 and the other one at 75. These I believe are guaranteed.
Annual Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 50 qualifying nights

Additional Choice Benefit (5 Suite Night AwardsTM or Gift Option)
*Awarded with 75 qualifying nights
Makes sense. Perhaps you book the Suite Night Awards my calling MR customer service. Pay for the base room and they upgrade you to a suite before checkin?

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
You book the room and then apply a suite night upgrade.Upgrades using suite nights are not guaranteed and clear I think about 24-48 hours before check in? If they don’t clear, the suite night is refunded to your account.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. Perhaps you book the Suite Night Awards my calling MR customer service. Pay for the base room and they upgrade you to a suite before checkin?
I either heard it during the live event or read it at Points Guy site that 10 nights of suite upgrades is immediately available for 2018 at Platinum Premier level by putting in a request. I also believe SPG platinum before Marriott's acquisition came with guaranteed 5 nights of suite upgrade. We just need to understand how this "guaranteed" upgrade request work.

I have been playing with the SPG hotel system quite a bit for the past few months after I achieved Platinum through MVC. I have 2 reservations coming up in April in Italy, through points booking. We will be there starting this Sunday! Anyway, there is a box at each reservation on "upgrade preference" or something like that for Platinum status, you have a choice of larger room or better view. I did not see that before I acquired Platinum status. I chose larger room at both locations in Italy. I will know on Sunday how it goes. First stay will be at Gritti Palace in Venice and the second stay at Westin Excelsior in Rome.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are inconsistencies between the 2 links wrt Lifetime status. One states Lifetime Gold and Lifetime Platinum, while the other one does not have Lifetime Gold and instead has Lifetime Platinum and Lifetime Platinum Premier.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Almond123

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fanta Sea Resorts, Flagship Atlantic City;
The Bay Club at Waikoloa, HGVC;
Ka'anapali Beach Resort, DRI;
Thats right because the one chart does not have the lifetime names on it, just the tiers that are not the lifetime names. hopefully I explained it better than it sounds. It sounds as clear as mud.....

Status
Not open for further replies.