• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards and SPG Program Changes Announced 4/16/18 [Threads merged.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently they will continue because the materials (I think in a FAQ) say that the 10% United bonus still applies when converting points to United miles, including in a travel package.
I posted this in a separate thread... I messaged Rewards Desk yesterday and received this response.
"We do not have any changes planned for the travel packages. Please visit members.marriott.com for further information."

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Here's a question that I think a lot of us in this forum will be interested in. I suspect the answer right now is "dunno."

There will be a new American Express SPG Luxury card introduced most likely in August. It will have a $450 annual fee, which is pretty steep. However, there will be a $300 annual statement credit for on-property Marriott purchases. That credit will be triggered by charging your hotel room rate to the card or for on-property dining or other on-property miscellaneous spending.

We have annual maintenance fees for Marriott timeshares. My question: does anyone know if paying the maintenance fee on this new credit card will trigger the $300 credit? If so, this might make this card more attractive to Marriott timeshare owners.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Here's a question that I think a lot of us in this forum will be interested in. I suspect the answer right now is "dunno."

There will be a new American Express SPG Luxury card introduced most likely in August. It will have a $450 annual fee, which is pretty steep. However, there will be a $300 annual statement credit for on-property Marriott purchases. That credit will be triggered by charging your hotel room rate to the card or for on-property dining or other on-property miscellaneous spending.

We have annual maintenance fees for Marriott timeshares. My question: does anyone know if paying the maintenance fee on this new credit card will trigger the $300 credit? If so, this might make this card more attractive to Marriott timeshare owners.
Dunno :)
While it's not on property, here's to hoping they meant Marriott spending in general.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score

Just a guess on my part but i think it might, only because I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve which is another $450 annual fee card with a $300 travel credit each year, and when I paid my MVC maintenance fees last year it actually surprised me that it triggered the $300 credit on my statement. Since the new SPG Amex card is meant to compete with the premium cards out there like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, it may work the same way.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Dunno :)
While it's not on property, here's to hoping they meant Marriott spending in general.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

Just a guess on my part but i think it might, only because I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve which is another $450 annual fee card with a $300 travel credit each year, and when I paid my MVC maintenance fees last year it actually surprised me that it triggered the $300 credit on my statement. Since the new SPG Amex card is meant to compete with the premium cards out there like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, it may work the same way.
I suspect they will just be searching the Payee Names for certain keywords to determine the $300 credit. I think Chase does similar for the 5 points per dollar on Marriott spend. We get the 5 points per dollar for MF spending, but when we tried to pay our Vistana MFs, we didn't. Though those that have the SPG Amex got SPG points when they charged MFs to the SPG Amex. Likely because it hit on the keyword.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

My Chase Marriott card did the same thing, it counted as Marriott "purchase".

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Custom House, Points
If a person has 700 nights and over the 2 million points- How hard would you work to meet the 750 nights before the end of 2018?

Hubby would have met Plat Lifetime goal this time next year. Any thoughts on if Marriott (on the down low) will allow those on the cusp a small window to meet the criteria? Where would you try calling to start asking that question?

Second question- How would the suite certificate work? Would you have to book a room and then see if the suite is available? We are going to Barcelona and need 2 rooms for a family of 5, but a suite would be sweet. There are multiple types of suites listed on the hotels, how will that work? Will that aspect be covered by the no blackout dates, meaning if one is available the certificate get applied?

Final question- If part of the Barcelona stay is after 8/1, will we not know how the reward category points pan out until 8/1? Or do those start to be adjust now and applicable to 8/1 and beyond?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
If a person has 700 nights and over the 2 million points- How hard would you work to meet the 750 nights before the end of 2018?

Hubby would have met Plat Lifetime goal this time next year. Any thoughts on if Marriott (on the down low) will allow those on the cusp a small window to meet the criteria? Where would you try calling to start asking that question?

Second question- How would the suite certificate work? Would you have to book a room and then see if the suite is available? We are going to Barcelona and need 2 rooms for a family of 5, but a suite would be sweet. There are multiple types of suites listed on the hotels, how will that work? Will that aspect be covered by the no blackout dates, meaning if one is available the certificate get applied?

Final question- If part of the Barcelona stay is after 8/1, will we not know how the reward category points pan out until 8/1? Or do those start to be adjust now and applicable to 8/1 and beyond?

How badly do you want the 50 nights? If you really want them then find a hotel that takes 10,000 points per night to stay, and remember to book 4 and get the 5th night free. Do this 10 times over and you get the 50 nights. Of course keep in mind that it will cost you 400,000 points, but you will reach your 50 night goal. Guess you have to really decide if this is the route you want to take.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered but you may believe it is worthwhile,

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this in the FAQ. It seems to be specific to the free night cert. Not sure if similar applies to travel package certs.

https://members.marriott.com/faq/

I have a Free Night Certificate from a Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card. Can I use it at an SPG hotel (or vice versa) after August?
Members may book a redemption reservation with an existing Free Night Certificate under the current terms up until August 2018, even if the arrival date is after August 2018. Starting in August, any outstanding Certificates will be updated from Category-based to points-based values in the new combined redemption chart and may be used for stays at Rewards or SPG hotels up to the points value displayed on your updated Certificate. For example, you will be able to apply a Marriott Rewards Free Night Certificate to an SPG stay, or an SPG Free Night Award to a Marriott Rewards stay. Ritz-Carlton Rewards Free Night Certificates can also be applied to Marriott Rewards and SPG hotels.
Based on this, it appears that we will have to have a confirmed reservation using the existing certificates by August 1 in order to utilize their current value at current category levels. If I have a 5 night category 9 certificate, I assume I would have to have it applied to a reservation by 8/1 (assuming reservations can only be made within 330 days, reservation would only be possible at current rate through 7/1/19.) I really wanted to use it for Seattle in September 2019.

Although I may have missed something, it appears there will be no 'fifth night free' in the new program so the 5 night 'sweet spot' will disappear. I expect that 5-7 night stays at desired locations will cost a lot more points than currently. Longer stays at resorts of FS hotels in major markets will cost a lot of points. As a timeshare owner, I'll probably save my MR points for short or weekend stays en route.

My prediction is that the new point requirements will make the previous devaluations pale in comparison.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Presidential in MVC has Platinum level currently, so that would move to Platinum Premier. Same thing for Chairman level in MVC.

Mike

I understand the logic, but I'm not prepared to make that assumption. The MR status level gifted to MVCI owners was negotiated between Marriott Hotels and Marriott Vacation Club. This was a separate agreement between the 2 parties that could also be re-negotiated in light of the overall hotel loyalty program changes/integration. The decision to award MVCI owners any level of MR status has nothing to do with the amount of nights they actually stayed in Marriott properties (unlike the hotel loyalty program levels which are based on just that).

I think it is possible that if you are MR Platinum because of owning MVCI, you may remain at the same Platinum level and not be upgraded to the new Platinum Premier Elite. Sort of a 'Platinum is still Platinum' approach. If that were to happen, some might call this a devaluation of their ownership because of the difference in the benefits for Platinum versus Platinum Premier but I would disagree. Receiving MR status is a 'perk' (however nice) of being an MVCI owner and has no real relationship to your actual weeks and/or points. It is an 'affinity' benefit that can be modified or terminated (based on the language of the agreement between Marriott Hotels and MVCI). Absent specific language in the agreement, I would say Marriott Hotels is under no obligation to 'upgrade' any MVCI owners above the current negotiated status levels of Gold and Base Platinum.

If they do, that will be nice though.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the logic, but I'm not prepared to make that assumption. The MR status level gifted to MVCI owners was negotiated between Marriott Hotels and Marriott Vacation Club. This was a separate agreement between the 2 parties that could also be re-negotiated in light of the overall hotel loyalty program changes/integration. The decision to award MVCI owners any level of MR status has nothing to do with the amount of nights they actually stayed in Marriott properties (unlike the hotel loyalty program levels which are based on just that).

I think it is possible that if you are MR Platinum because of owning MVCI, you may remain at the same Platinum level and not be upgraded to the new Platinum Premier Elite. Sort of a 'Platinum is still Platinum' approach. If that were to happen, some might call this a devaluation of their ownership because of the difference in the benefits for Platinum versus Platinum Premier but I would disagree. Receiving MR status is a 'perk' (however nice) of being an MVCI owner and has no real relationship to your actual weeks and/or points. It is an 'affinity' benefit that can be modified or terminated (based on the language of the agreement between Marriott Hotels and MVCI). Absent specific language in the agreement, I would say Marriott Hotels is under no obligation to 'upgrade' any MVCI owners above the current negotiated status levels of Gold and Base Platinum.

If they do, that will be nice though.
You just broke my heart. ;):(:mad:

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau

The point about my comment regarding the upcoming AmEx SPG Luxury card: if timeshare maintenance fees will trigger the $300 credit, then you've got a $150 card. The new Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card will be a $95 annual fee card.

The new Chase card will come with a free night certificate for properties up to 35K point per night (category 5 in the new scheme). The new AmEx card will come with a free night cert for properties up to 50K points per night (the new category 6). It's been a problem for me that the existing Chase Marriott card has a fairly limited number of really desirable hotels where you can use the free night certificate. So perhaps a $55 difference in the annual fee of the upcoming AmEx SPG card will be worth it compared to the upcoming Chase Marriott card. That is, a category 6 free night certificate might give us a wider choice of nice hotels to use during our travels.

The upcoming AmEx card will also come with automatic Marriott Gold status in the new program, but that status level doesn't look that valuable to me under the new program.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am MVC Executive level (7000 points) now with MR Gold Elite status. So does that mean I would become Platinum level in the new MR program as of August 1st?

If I upgrade to Presidential level before August 1st (10,000 points), does that mean I would be Platinum Premier in new MR program?

I was planning to eventually upgrade to Presidential level but this might make it happen sooner rather than later.

Unknown. Everyone is assuming there will be upgrades. While it would be nice, I haven't seen anything that indicates it is guaranteed. Under the current agreement between Marriott Hotels and MVCI, there is a guarantee of Gold for certain owners and Platinum for certain owners under the Marriott Rewards program in effect at that time. Under the new program, there is still a Gold level and a Platinum level. I would not assume that MVCI owners who have been gifted Gold status will be upgraded to Platinum and owners who have been gifted Platinum status will be upgraded to Platinum Premier because Marriott Hotels has changed their loyalty program.

If it happens great.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With 300+ nights in Marriott, and 300+ nights in SPG, guess I will be lifetime Platinum after merger. Wondering if I can change my marriott# associated with my MVC chairman account to my wife's marriott#, so both of us can be Platinum?

Very disappointed Lifetime Platinum doesn't get 5 annual suite upgrades. Previously Platinum from MVC chairman/presidential is ranked No.2 after platinum premier, but now it moves down to No.4 after PLT100, PLT75 and PLT50. It approves again merger is always bad for royal customers.

You can switch the MR number associated with your MVCI account. That is what we did so my wife could have her own Platinum account. I earned mine the 'old-fashioned' way.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of when my company changed our pensions back in 1999. How it impacted you was based on age and years of service. Everyone was so focused on the pension changes that no one paid attention to significant changes to retirement medical that was elinmated. This might have has less importance but important just the same.

Lifetime loyalty ptrserved or upgrade in the case of lifetime gold based on a cutoff date of achieving lifetime. If you haven't earned it by then, new rules apply. What is unclear is how we spend our reward points. Lesser benefit to many but important never the less. The category system is being revamped and how hotels land is going to be key to how devalued points are. Currently a Cat 5 hotel is 25000 points. It goes up to 35,000. That is a 40 percent devaluation. When in moves to 30k./40k.average still the same. Given each cat now goes up 5k and significantly more in the future, it might not be pretty. How will travel packages shake out...TBD.
I totally agree. These changes will impact those of us who are past our peak point earning years and had hoped to utilize our points for travel in retirement. Initial indications are that redemption costs will increase significantly. I also saw no mention of 'fifth night free' in any of the correspondence, so a 5 night stay will cost 25% more points even without an increase in the per night levels.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
The following is from the FAQ on members.marriott.com:

"Suite Night Awards will be available for Platinum Elite Members who stay 50 nights and Platinum Premier Elite Members who stay 75 nights as an option within their Annual Choice Benefit. A Suite Night Award is a one-night confirmable upgrade to a standard suite or select premium room, depending on the hotel’s availability of those rooms. The number of Suite Night Awards used must match the entire length of stay; it cannot be used for part of a stay (e.g., the first two nights of a five-night stay). Once you request to use your Suite Night Awards for a stay, we’ll check the upgrade availability starting five days prior to arrival and keep checking every day until 2 p.m., hotel local time, on the day before your arrival. We’ll let you know either way if we’re able to confirm the upgrade or not. If it is not available, we’ll return the Suite Night Awards to your account."

Based on this language it appears the suite night awards are a last minute deal, based on availablity. You won't know until 5 days prior to arrival (at the earliest) if one is available.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Need help regarding this. We are scheduled to sign documents tomorrow to purchase 4000 points from MVC. One of the reasons we decided to go to 4K instead of 3500 was the added benefit of obtaining lifetime Gold status with MR. We had recently obtained this with stays and credit card usage, but the ease of having it permanent was a huge selling point for us. Then, today we read about the upcoming changes. Yes, our gold status with MR will go to platinum. But tomorrow we are signing a contract stating we will have gold status via MVC. Our sales rep can’t answer if it will be changed to Platinum. Any opinion on insisting it’s added as an addendum before signing and paying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not assume anything beyond what is on the page. I am not aware of any 'lifetime' status being offered for MVCI purchases. The status would last for either a specific number of years (which we got for purchasing a quantity of points) or it is renewed annually for as long as you maintain a certain MVCI level of ownership. Either way, you are signing for Gold and you should expect no less but no more. If you receive something more in the future, great. If not, you got what you signed for.

Last edited by a moderator:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The following is from the FAQ on members.marriott.com:

"Suite Night Awards will be available for Platinum Elite Members who stay 50 nights and Platinum Premier Elite Members who stay 75 nights as an option within their Annual Choice Benefit. A Suite Night Award is a one-night confirmable upgrade to a standard suite or select premium room, depending on the hotel’s availability of those rooms. The number of Suite Night Awards used must match the entire length of stay; it cannot be used for part of a stay (e.g., the first two nights of a five-night stay). Once you request to use your Suite Night Awards for a stay, we’ll check the upgrade availability starting five days prior to arrival and keep checking every day until 2 p.m., hotel local time, on the day before your arrival. We’ll let you know either way if we’re able to confirm the upgrade or not. If it is not available, we’ll return the Suite Night Awards to your account."

Based on this language it appears the suite night awards are a last minute deal, based on availablity. You won't know until 5 days prior to arrival (at the earliest) if one is available.
The question I have is what is the expiration of the suite awards. If I reach 50 nights in Dec, I may not have another stay within the same year.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score

I think absolutely ZERO chance of this getting extended or fudged in any way - the upgrade from plat to plat prem is a one-off to satisfy existing Marriott loyalists and any further fudging of that would not seem justified to them I'd assume.
How badly do you want the 50 nights? If you really want them then find a hotel that takes 10,000 points per night to stay, and remember to book 4 and get the 5th night free. Do this 10 times over and you get the 50 nights. Of course keep in mind that it will cost you 400,000 points, but you will reach your 50 night goal. Guess you have to really decide if this is the route you want to take.
Personally I wouldn't be bothered but you may believe it is worthwhile,

If you are REALLY focussed on getting to the lifetime plat-Prem level (which would seem like it could be worthwhile if it provided 5 free suite night upgrades a year certainly!) then you could look at booking 5 cheap meetings at a local marriott hotel to get 10 nights credit per meeting.

There's a long!! thread on flyertalk on this - see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html

I'm not certain I'd bother - but then again is this a once in a lifetime chance (please forgive the appalling pun)

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more thing... does anyone read this as major points devaluation? If I convert one of my timeshare weeks, it generates 125,000 MRP and it gets me at most 2 nights at a top tier hotel. Right now Cat 9 in Marriott end requires 45,000 points.

Free Night Award Chart

Category/Standard Effective August / Off-Peak Coming 2019 / Peak Coming 2019
1 7,500 5,000 10,000
2 12,500 10,000 15,000
3 17,500 15,000 20,000
4 25,000 20,000 30,000
5 35,000 30,000 40,000
6 50,000 40,000 60,000
7 60,000 50,000 70,000
8 Coming 2019 85,000 70,000 100,000

This combined rewards chart includes Ritz Carlton Properties as well as Marriott and Starwood. I would expect to see category devaluations in the Marriott portfolio (and likely Starwood as well) with many properties downgraded to lower award categories.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question I have is what is the expiration of the suite awards. If I reach 50 nights in Dec, I may not have another stay within the same year.
I also wondered about that. Many members won't reach 50 or 75 nights until late in the year. I would imagine the suite awards would be good for at least a year. Maybe a year from the date they are issued, like the VISA free night certificates?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've never paid much attention to the details of MR. Need to catch up! A few questions:
  1. MVCI supposedly gave us (lifetime?) Gold status, we're executive level. Was it lifetime, or no?
  2. If I had lifetime anything, where do I see it, where is the word lifetime on MR website?
  3. My account shows lifetime: 1,953,000 points and 423 nights, does this really mean anything in light of MVCI Gold level I think they gave me?
  4. Does that get me anything come August? (I think this part is TBD)

1. Your Marriott Rewards status is for the duration you maintain your underlying MVCI ownership level or for as long as Marriott Hotels and MVCI maintain an agreement that MVCI owners will be gifted MR status by Marriott Hotels. No guarantee that this agreement can't come to an end/not be renewed in the future.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
Receiving MR status is a 'perk' (however nice) of being an MVCI owner and has no real relationship to your actual weeks and/or points. It is an 'affinity' benefit that can be modified or terminated (based on the language of the agreement between Marriott Hotels and MVCI). Absent specific language in the agreement, I would say Marriott Hotels is under no obligation to 'upgrade' any MVCI owners above the current negotiated status levels of Gold and Base Platinum.

I think this is why members who are very near the Platinum and Platinum-Premier thresholds for lifetime status should make sure they hit the requirements by year-end, even if they feel they already have "lifetime" status in Marriott Rewards because of their MVCI status.

As a "Presidential" owner I am optimistic that the Platinum benefit will become Platinum-Premier in the new program, but this has not been confirmed. I'm also happy to have secured Lifetime Platinum status in the new Marriott/SPG program by having the requisite number of stays and points. After all, we can't be certain how the MVCI-Marriott relationship will evolve in the future.

I'm also not sure how much value lifetime Platinum-Premier has over lifetime Platinum, and that's probably why I won't chase lifetime Platinum-Premier.
- It seems to me Platinum already secures the benefits most members care about: guaranteed 4-pm checkout, free breakfast or lounge access, and 50% bonus on points earned.
- Platinum Premier does offer 75% bonus instead of 50% and an additional "5 Suite Night Awards", but the suite Night Awards are not technically a lifetime benefit - there is a requirement to stay 50/75 nights every year to get that benefit annually.
- Having said that, I do expect Platinum Premier members will get a better success rate in scoring upgrades (I have noticed a difference when I went from Gold to Platinum in the current program), and there's also United silver status and potentially other benefits and partnerships they may announce in the future.

Would love to know if other members are planning more stays to qualify for lifetime status by year-end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.