• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards (Bonvoy) Point Transfers 100K Limit

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So it seems perhaps after the merger and updated T&C, there is now a 100K per year limit on point transfers between accounts. IN the past this limit was 50K per year. However, if at the time of redemption they would let you transfer an unlimited number of points. Usually between family members but I had read that was not always the case either.

We are trying to do a redemption now that requires the transfer of 114,000 points from my wife's account to mine. They now seem to be rather strict on this and the rep I talked to the other day said that I could not transfer more than the 100K limit. No exceptions made at time of transfer.

Has anyone else run across this? Any way to really get around it?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So it seems perhaps after the merger and updated T&C, there is now a 100K per year limit on point transfers between accounts. IN the past this limit was 50K per year. However, if at the time of redemption they would let you transfer an unlimited number of points. Usually between family members but I had read that was not always the case either.

We are trying to do a redemption now that requires the transfer of 114,000 points from my wife's account to mine. They now seem to be rather strict on this and the rep I talked to the other day said that I could not transfer more than the 100K limit. No exceptions made at time of transfer.

It really is not clear, is it?
On the one hand it suggests there is an exception to the restriction, on the other hand it is not clear if and how that might apply?

i. Transferring Points to Accounts of Family or Friends. There is a limited exception to the restriction on the transfer of a Member’s Points to the accounts of friends or family, provided both accounts are in good standing. See Section 2.8 for more information.

then

2.8 Transferring Points from One Account to Another

2.8.a. In accordance with the conditions for transferring Points as described in Section 1.6.c. Members can transfer up to a maximum of 100,000 Points per calendar year between any two accounts in good standing that have each been open for at least sixty (60) days, whether sending or receiving Points.

2.8.b. A new Member may receive a Points Transfer thirty (30) days after enrollment if the Account reflects activity including a Qualifying Stay or other qualifying activity as described in Section 1.6.d. After ninety (90) days from enrollment, a new Member is eligible to receive a Points Transfer regardless of their account activity.

2.8.c. Authorization to transfer Points must be initiated by the Account holder with the Points to be transferred by contacting Member Support. The Account holder requesting the transfer must provide the Membership Number of the Points recipient at the time of the Point transfer request.

2.8.d. Once the authorization for transfer is received and processed, the transferor relinquishes all rights to the transferred Points, and they become the recipient’s Points.

2.8.e. Miles and Elite Night Credit cannot be transferred between Membership Accounts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Where do you see this exception noted in section 2.8? I don't see any mention of a limited exception as you described in (i).

ETA: Nevermind, found it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just tried again today and they seem to be pretty hard and fast on the 100K limit. I think that in 1.6 they are saying that points are only limited to the members account and use, except where noted in 2.8 and 2.8 is where the 100K limit is mentioned.

I am needing about 110K transferred to purchase a five-night category 7 travel package. Had we known that there would be no more leniency on this, we probably would have preplanned and transferred some in 2018 and then the rest this year. I also realized that I have a SVV timeshare presentation where I did not receive the 20,000 point from. I have called Sheraton Vacation Club to try to get that straightened away. Of course, that means further delays in trying to get this packages ordered.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

So, last year, I called to transfer points between DW account to mine, expecting 50k, and they transferred 100k to my surprise. Did not do antyhing else, just transferred points.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and asked them to transfer 25K to my wife to allow her to make a booking
I then wanted to transfer 75K to a friend for the same purpose.

the agent accidentally transferred 95K to my wife, then told me I could only transfer 5K to my friend, and I could not transfer the 70K from my wife BACK to me since that would out me over the 100K limit (implying they consider it an 'inbound+outbound total'=100. and further implying that "total outbound from any one account in a given year is 100K".

I have called back 3 times and got the same response in each case and have raised a formal complaint requesting Marriott replay the call recording and fix the agents error in making an unauthorised transfer. I have no response.

As a long time Marriott and Starwood Platinum, the drop in levels of service has been utterly shocking over the last 12 months or more.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score

If another way can't be found around it, just buy the 14,000 points from Marriott. 14,000 points would cost $175 from Marriott. If you book your stay in 5 night increments, the 5th night is free. I always book either b5 or 10 night increments and have had some incredible stays in Europe using my accrued points

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

This is what I read on another source (?The Points Guy) that the limit was increased to 100K but the exceptions at the time of booking were gone. The previous exception was case by case as I understand it and I was not allowed to do so last year because it would have been "most of the points for the new booking" in my wife's account. I'm slowly using up/transferring my points to my wife since we're using her account at the primary since I'm Lifetime PP/Titanium.

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a 500k total per year transfer limit, so if you can find a third party to use as an intermediary, you can complete it that way.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If another way can't be found around it, just buy the 14,000 points from Marriott. 14,000 points would cost $175 from Marriott. If you book your stay in 5 night increments, the 5th night is free. I always book either b5 or 10 night increments and have had some incredible stays in Europe using my accrued points

You can reserve the room without the points and apply the certificate later.

Besides buying points this may be a time for you to do an owner's presentation, exchange some DP for MR points or sign up for a new credit card.

I'm curious. . .what reservation are has caught your interest enough to use MR points? I'm asking because the changes were so discouraging I haven't looked at the possibilities. I need a new perspective on the program.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
You can reserve the room without the points and apply the certificate later.

That's certainly an option. But if the required points rise March 5, the poster will need the higher number of points for the reservation. Only award stays with points certs attached are being honored at the lower category during this cycle of increases.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's certainly an option. But if the required points rise March 5, the poster will need the higher number of points for the reservation. Only award stays with points certs attached are being honored at the lower category during this cycle of increases.

I think the purchased points will post almost immediately, so it could be booked before that. Possibly they could just add them on. I hope it all works out.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I think the purchased points will post almost immediately, so it could be booked before that. Possibly they could just add them on. I hope it all works out.

i had to buy 10K points in Dec for something. Took 24 hours so shouldn't be a prob.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a 500k total per year transfer limit, so if you can find a third party to use as an intermediary, you can complete it that way.
This contradicts what I was told completely - I was told max outbound of 100K from any account in total per year

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This contradicts what I was told completely - I was told max outbound of 100K from any account in total per year
In the Marriott Ts & Cs, there is a maximum 100k transfer outbound from one account, but also a maximum transfer of 500k inbound from multiple accounts.“
2.8.a. In accordance with the conditions for transferring Points as described in Section 1.6.c., a Member can transfer up to a maximum of 100,000 Points per calendar year to another Membership Account as long as both Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60) days. A Member can receive up to a maximum of 500,000 Points per calendar year from other Membership Accounts as long as the Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60 days).”

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the Marriott Ts & Cs, there is a maximum 100k transfer outbound from one account, but also a maximum transfer of 500k inbound from multiple accounts.“
2.8.a. In accordance with the conditions for transferring Points as described in Section 1.6.c., a Member can transfer up to a maximum of 100,000 Points per calendar year to another Membership Account as long as both Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60) days. A Member can receive up to a maximum of 500,000 Points per calendar year from other Membership Accounts as long as the Accounts are in good standing and have each been open for at least sixty (60 days).”
agreed, but the suggestion was made that using intermediate accounts would allow one to bypass the 100K limit and that appears to not be true, there is a hard limit of 100K OUT per year per account