TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott Spain advice

Discussion in 'European Timesharing' started by happymum, Jul 4, 2018.

1. happymum

happymum TUG Member

Considering a trip to Spain, and see availability at both Marbella and Andaluza for around the dates I need. The Andaluza dates are better for me, but it sounds like Marbella property is better located?
    I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions that might help with my choice. Thanks!

2. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Depends on what you are trying to do, do you have kids, etc. Why would Marbella be better located? Andaluza is closer to daytrips such as Gibraltar and Morocco. Andaluza has a beach.

dsmrp likes this.
  3. aandmrun

aandmrun TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We have stayed at Andaluza and really enjoyed it there. It is right on the beach. The units are beautiful. We had a 2 bedroom. Also, the tours that Steve Fatula mentioned are really sites not to miss. We took the organized tours and were picked up right at the timeshare site.

Steve Fatula likes this.
  4. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

Better located for what? I prefer Andaluza's location, closer to Ronda, closer to the foodie heaven of Benehavis, closer to Estepona. There is a new Aldi supermarket a few minutes walk away, both are directly on the beach although Marbella's is better. The pools at Andaluza are better however I prefer the bar and restaurant area at Marbella. Andaluza is smaller which I like but their barbecue grills are hopeless!

We took a trip to Tangier earlier this year (did it ourselves with a guide we arranged to meet over there). Really didn't think much of it at all, not a great deal to see and it makes for a very long day. I'd rather spend my time exploring Spain. Didn't think much of Gibraltar either, reminded me of an 80's Britain (and not in a good way!).

5. happymum

happymum TUG Member

Thanks all for your feedback!

6. Maple_Leaf

Maple_Leaf Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Royal Dunes
    LOL, I think I know what you mean.

7. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    I guess it depends what you want out of such a trip. For me, being a naval/military history buff, there's a lot of it in Gibraltar. I could have stayed there all day looking around, had a blast. DW liked it also. One could see just how difficult it would have been to try and take it. Didn't know about the tunnels, those were interesting as well. There's a lot to see there.

Tangier was very educational. We enjoyed that trip as well, along with the food.

8. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

Being from Portsmouth we're very fortunate to have so much naval history on our doorstep so for me Gibraltar didn't have much to offer in that respect. The tunnels were interesting and the kids loved the monkeys but that was pretty much it for us.

We were really disappointed with the food in Tangier. Granted we only ate in one restaurant but the guide insisted it was one of the best (and it was pretty busy) but it was very boring. So much better food to be had in Spain.

9. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    pending Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Two things:
    1. I hope Marbella has gotten their 'act' together at the restaurant upstairs; it was a disaster when we were there 2 years ago.
    2. @Steve Fatula : what tour did you take to Tangier? We wanted to go, but the reviews were very mixed.

10. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    We took the Marriott trip, the one the resort does. It goes through the old marketplace, but that's kind of a problem for some as they have the pushiest street salesman in history. Far worse than any timeshare presentation. However, we have no trouble saying no so it was a lot of fun to see the city and the diverse group of peoples there. Some really did not like the salesman.....

11. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    pending Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Thanks. I've heard the souk is not what it's cracked up to be....

Some have taken a private 'off the map' tour that is supposed to be pretty good. Of course, it's my distinct goal to avoid being another 'tourist captured, held for hostage...' story on CNN.

Yes, just get in the back of the truck please....under the tarp. :oops:

12. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Destinations Points
    We enjoyed all of the food, and it was excellent. The restaurant the tour took us to was great, everyone enjoyed it. Morocco is a level 1 state department destination, rated safer than Spain! I was very surprised to see so many cultures there, really didn't know that.

13. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    pending Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    great, maybe we'll try it next time!

14. Pompey Family

Pompey Family Guest

The souk is really nothing special at all. It's just a load of narrow streets filled with shops selling meat, fruit and vegetables, spices and some tourist tat (no prices displayed of course). There are also sections dedicated to clothing. I've been to far more interesting souks, the one in Tangier simply wasn't interesting.

With respect to the upstairs restaurant in Marbella Beach Resort, we were there in April and it was poor, very poor. I have no intention of eating in there again.

taterhed likes this.
  15. ecwinch

ecwinch Moderator

Having stayed at both, enjoyed our stay at Andaluza a lot more. More central location for day trips in the region (Rhonda, Cadiz, etc) and lots more within walking distance.

Steve Fatula likes this.