• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott sued for racism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
There was a lively discussion about an inappropriate (offensive) tweet had a sales weasel fired in HGVC, now it's Marriott's turn for sensitivity training (sheesh, but not surprising)

Quoted article:

Black sales exec was compared to 'Buckwheat,' told to dance for colleagues, lawsuit alleges
Daryl Robinson also claims that he worked out of a “cramped” storage closet that had no air conditioning, unlike his co-workers who had cubicles.

Dec. 26, 2018 / 2:22 PM CST / Updated Dec. 26, 2018 / 5:11 PM CST
By Janelle Griffith

A former sales executive for Marriott Vacations Worldwide alleges in a lawsuit that he was asked to dance during meetings as entertainment for other employees and that a photo of the character Buckwheat was used to represent him during a team building exercise.

Daryl Robinson is suing for unlawful race discrimination, unlawful race harassment, failure to prevent race discrimination and harassment and retaliation for opposing forbidden practices.

Robinson began working in February 2017 as a sales executive with Marriott Vacations Worldwide selling timeshares to vacation properties. He says he was the only African-American employee in the office.

In the suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday, Robinson alleges that he was asked on multiple occasions to dance by a director of sales during sales meetings, usually to music by Michael Jackson.

On another occasion, the director of sales complimented most of the staff by saying “we have a good-looking crew” or related comments, according to the suit. The director of sales then looked at Robinson and allegedly said, “Daryl looks ready to breakdance."

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I guess this lawsuit will be easy to win if Robinson’s colleagues saw him being made to dance and heard those comments, since he says they happened in public. Marriott should settle out of court if true. I read the article and it is horribly abusive. It still shocks me that things like this happen. Humans can be so cruel. This story makes me so angry.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I did a Google search and found this recent article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/travel/hotels-diversity-training.html

Apparently hotels need to hire more enlightened employees and train them to have respect for their diverse client base.

The thing that has always bothered me about racism is the group that considers themselves to be superior do not realize that racism could be turned on them. No one is protected from some sort of discrimination, whether it be race, gender, education, income, etc. I have always had the belief that all beings are created equal. To me, even every animal counts as a being. Some might even extend this to the planet(s). For all we know, an intelligent being may exist on another planet that looks nothing like a human. And maybe they will discrimate against all human beings on planet Earth.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's time for Marriott to clean house in that office.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did a Google search and found this recent article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/travel/hotels-diversity-training.html

Apparently hotels need to hire more enlightened employees and train them to have respect for their diverse client base.

The thing that has always bothered me about racism is the group that considers themselves to be superior do not realize that racism could be turned on them. No one is protected from some sort of discrimination, whether it be race, gender, education, income, etc. I have always had the belief that all beings are created equal. To me, even every animal counts as a being. Some might even extend this to the planet(s). For all we know, an intelligent being may exist on another planet that looks nothing like a human. And maybe they will discrimate against all human beings on planet Earth.
While I don't dispute the article cited, I think this is more of a symptom of the general disrespect (contempt) sales staff displays towards their prospects. Apparently, it runs deeper and they start feeding on one another.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While I don't dispute the article cited, I think this is more of a symptom of the general disrespect (contempt) sales staff displays towards their prospects. Apparently, it runs deeper and they start feeding on one another.

I do not think that is the problem. This is happening at hotels. They do not have “prospects” in hotels. He is not a “prospect.” I think the problem is society and how we treat each other. The current environment is not helping either.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

I was just going to comment in the same vein.

Cheers

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was just going to comment in the same vein.

Cheers
This observation comes from working in a restaurant during lunchtime when I was in high school. The worst of the worst were salesmen from the Ford dealership down the road. They were the crassest bunch of a$$h@ts I have ever had the displeasure to meet. They came in every Friday for a long, insufferable four martini lunch.

One thought it would be funny to do the "upside down glass of water trick". Here's the thing, don't do this at a place where you are a return customer. I waited until his second return visit after that and I "accidentally" spilled a full glass of ice water in his lap. The waitress was publicly "shocked and appalled" but privately smiled and told me not to do it again.

I'm not saying ALL salespeople are scum, but unless management keeps a firm hand and discourages bad behavior, it festers quickly.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not think that is the problem. This is happening at hotels. They do not have “prospects” in hotels. He is not a “prospect.” I think the problem is society and how we treat each other. The current environment is not helping either.
I think that is beyond where I intended this thread to go and risks getting it locked.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
A think a lot of folks should take a step back and realize they are hearing the plaintiff's account. How "angry" are you going to be if it turns out the accusation is false. This story is from NBC news. They've had to walk back a lot of similar stories in the past few years not to mention the number of news folks fired.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is my take:
  • Was the plaintiff a marginal sales associate: unknown
  • Was the sales office there a "frat house":yes
  • Were there crude jokes and pranks pulled on one another: yes
  • Did the plaintiff document acts which could be construed as racist: very possibly
  • Does it make any difference if the plaintiff was a marginal performer and did not advance due to merit: NO
Without controls, things spiral out of control fast and opens you up to this kind of embarrassment.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
There was a lively discussion about an inappropriate (offensive) tweet had a sales weasel fired in HGVC, now it's Marriott's turn for sensitivity training (sheesh, but not surprising)

Quoted article:

Black sales exec was compared to 'Buckwheat,' told to dance for colleagues, lawsuit alleges
Daryl Robinson also claims that he worked out of a “cramped” storage closet that had no air conditioning, unlike his co-workers who had cubicles.

Dec. 26, 2018 / 2:22 PM CST / Updated Dec. 26, 2018 / 5:11 PM CST
By Janelle Griffith

A former sales executive for Marriott Vacations Worldwide alleges in a lawsuit that he was asked to dance during meetings as entertainment for other employees and that a photo of the character Buckwheat was used to represent him during a team building exercise.

Daryl Robinson is suing for unlawful race discrimination, unlawful race harassment, failure to prevent race discrimination and harassment and retaliation for opposing forbidden practices.

Robinson began working in February 2017 as a sales executive with Marriott Vacations Worldwide selling timeshares to vacation properties. He says he was the only African-American employee in the office.

In the suit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday, Robinson alleges that he was asked on multiple occasions to dance by a director of sales during sales meetings, usually to music by Michael Jackson.

On another occasion, the director of sales complimented most of the staff by saying “we have a good-looking crew” or related comments, according to the suit. The director of sales then looked at Robinson and allegedly said, “Daryl looks ready to breakdance."

I will leave part of this for the courts .

BUT - what was the sales directors goal with this nonsense .

It sure was not team building / unless “ Lord of the Flies “ is your model .

Last edited by a moderator:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I did a Google search and found this recent article: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/travel/hotels-diversity-training

Agree -

Most of us have read or seen the - “ what I learned in kindergarten “ - that is a good blueprint
on how to treat others .

As we all know - not everyone learned that school lesson .

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess this lawsuit will be easy to win if Robinson’s colleagues saw him being made to dance and heard those comments, since he says they happened in public. Marriott should settle out of court if true. I read the article and it is horribly abusive. It still shocks me that things like this happen. Humans can be so cruel. This story makes me so angry.
I agree if true. I've seen enough to not accept it on face value and would suggest that a settlement does not automatically make it true.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I believe it’s easier for some to question this alleged behavior. However, if it was reverse discrimination or Anti-Semitism people don’t put question marks about if it’s true or not.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that is beyond where I intended this thread to go and risks getting it locked.

Racism is a controversial social issue with political implications. You can’t post this and expect the replies to be mild. This was a terrible social injustice.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A think a lot of folks should take a step back and realize they are hearing the plaintiff's account. How "angry" are you going to be if it turns out the accusation is false. This story is from NBC news. They've had to walk back a lot of similar stories in the past few years not to mention the number of news folks fired.

I am angry whether or not this specific story is true because racism (and sexism, ageism, etc) is alive and well in our society. I am more inclined to believe this story but I know discrimination happens and African Americans experience the worst of it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is my take:
  • Was the plaintiff a marginal sales associate: unknown
  • Was the sales office there a "frat house":yes
  • Were there crude jokes and pranks pulled on one another: yes
  • Did the plaintiff document acts which could be construed as racist: very possibly
  • Does it make any difference if the plaintiff was a marginal performer and did not advance due to merit: NO
Without controls, things spiral out of control fast and opens you up to this kind of embarrassment.

There are witnesses so it will be easy to prove or disprove, unless all the witnesses lie to protect Marriott and their bosses.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe it’s easier for some to question this alleged behavior. However, if it was reverse discrimination or Anti-Semitism people don’t put question marks about if it’s true or not.

These days, people put quotes around all allegations of abuse. No one wants to believe the accusers anymore because of a few who did lie. Such a shame because most accusers are telling the truth. I understand not to convict someone without a fair investigation, though.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent my entire career, 40 years, working on nondiscrimination issues in the Departments of Justice and Education and at a B1G university. It’s really hard to prove discrimination even when you know it occurred. The standard of predonerence of evidence is substantially less then the standard of proof in criminal cases but it’s still hard to meet.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Already there are multiple reports about this thread, and quite honestly I don't know how to clean up a thread that begins with such an abhorrent topic. Thread locked; possibly we'll revisit the topic as the case makes it through the Court system.

Status
Not open for further replies.