• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott wants to transform the Sheraton experience

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That reads like pure market speak without substance. I hope they brighten up Sheraton as many I've been to over the last five years have been quite blah. Ironically I was at the San Juan Sheraton recently and it actually was quite nice, but I'm sure they'll do a modest update and claim it's fantastic again. Five points for the marketing dept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That reads like pure market speak without substance. I hope they brighten up Sheraton as many I've been to over the last five years have been quite blah. Ironically I was at the San Juan Sheraton recently and it actually was quite nice, but I'm sure they'll do a modest update and claim it's fantastic again. Five points for the marketing dept.

I agree, i do not see the news.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I think when you look at it in the context of some other information, there may be more meat here than at first blush. If you look at the way Marriott International is segmenting their new menu of brands on the following webpage: https://members.marriott.com/brands/ , you can see they are segmenting Sheraton into the same "Classic Premium" category with the main Marriott hotel brand, Delta Hotels, and Marriott Vacation Club. In my opinion, Starwood had let the Sheraton brand decline a bit over the years, so Marriott may be recognizing this and opting to upgrade the Sheraton experience to make it more comparable with their other "Classic Premium" brands. At least that's how I interpret the article the OP linked to.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW

The renovations to to the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane are spectacular, and the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh was an unexpected delight. The Sheraton Suites at Chicago O'Hare was also a pleasant surprise. Not saying that all Sheratons are amazing, nor that all of the remodels will turn out great. However, there are instances where Sheraton has done well.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Sheraton used to be an upscale brand years ago. I think it would be great if Marriott and MVC could restore the Sheraton brand to it previous glory.

jordathyspg

Reaction score
I generally find Sheratons to be very hit or miss, so if Marriott does anything to bring up the standards of the brand that'd be a big plus.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think we are generally all in agreement. Sheraton used to be quite nice (many years ago), and other than a few exceptions they are in need of upgrade.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The renovations to to the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane are spectacular, and the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa in Edinburgh was an unexpected delight. The Sheraton Suites at Chicago O'Hare was also a pleasant surprise. Not saying that all Sheratons are amazing, nor that all of the remodels will turn out great. However, there are instances where Sheraton has done well.

I really enjoyed the Park Lane but was disappointed that it jumped categories. I had stayed there two or three times as a cat 4 and it was a great option for London.

I'm glad to hear the Sheraton Suites in Chicago is nice, since I just made a reservation there last week!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I think when you look at it in the context of some other information, there may be more meat here than at first blush. If you look at the way Marriott International is segmenting their new menu of brands on the following webpage: https://members.marriott.com/brands/ , you can see they are segmenting Sheraton into the same "Classic Premium" category with the main Marriott hotel brand, Delta Hotels, and Marriott Vacation Club. In my opinion, Starwood had let the Sheraton brand decline a bit over the years, so Marriott may be recognizing this and opting to upgrade the Sheraton experience to make it more comparable with their other "Classic Premium" brands. At least that's how I interpret the article the OP linked to.

I hope you're correct. Looking forward to seeing more specifics from Marriott about their plans for Sheraton.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't see the relationship between Marriott and Sheraton TSs.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Don't see the relationship between Marriott and Sheraton TSs.

There are now two connections:

1) the Marriott International hotel company acquired Sheraton and the other Starwood hotel brands (Westin, St Regis, etc) a couple of years ago. This includes ownership of the Sheraton Vacation Club brand (as well as the Westin Vacation Club brand). Marriott International also obviously owns the Marriott Vacation Club brand. You can see all of the hotel systems Marriott owns in the list of logos at the bottom of the page at www.marriott.com
2) Marriott Vacations Worldwide (the separate company which owns and operates Marriott Vacation Club) announced in late April that they are acquiring ILG (which owns and operates Sheraton Vacation Club, Westin Vacation Club, and the VSN network). If that merger closes as expected by September 30, a Marriott-afilliated company will also own and control the Sheraton and Westin timeshare programs.

So, to summarize - the Marriott International, Inc. hotel company owns the Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club branding rights; and after September 30 (if all goes according to plan), Marriott Vacations Worldwide, Inc. will own, operate, and manage the Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club programs and sales.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My first visit to Hawaii was at the Sheraton Black Rock in Maui in 1992. We booked an all inclusive trip for 2 people at an oceanfront suite, just a few feet from the ocean for $1500 for 2 adults. That price included ocean front hotel room for 7 nights, car rental for one week, daily breakfast and airfare for 2 adults. I thought it was expensive back then, especially since I was in my late 20s. Looking back, I was a very lucky 20-something year old to have had such an amazing experience at that age with my boyfriend. With no parental help!

Now the cheapest oceanfront room without airfare and any other extra is approximately USD 3,667.83. If you add in airfare. car rental and breakfast, it would easily cone out to $5500 to $6000 for the week.

It just shows how inflation changes things. We may think MFs are high now but hotel fees will go up proportionately.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It was asked of the MI CEO if they may spin off or sell the Sheraton brand. They didn't seem to be interested in doing that as a lot of Starwood income came from that very brand. There are a lot of inconsistencies with the properties and it seems that this is what Marriott hopes to fix. Bring some uniformity to the customer experience.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Funny, but I kind of hope not. I've always found Marriott to be cold and sterile (based on a few hotel stays, have yet to stay at a Marriott timeshare). I like the warmer vibe I get a Sheraton properties (many hotel stays and 3 of their timeshares on many occasions). I'm not sure I'm going to like a Marriott overlay on Sheraton.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
MMmmmmm.

I've stayed in a few Sheratons and Marriotts myself.
Humbly spoken, I've seen quite a few Sheratons that could definitely use a Marriott touch here and there...
Of course, I do appreciate the 'warmer?' atmosphere in some of the Sheratons.

ymmv.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
I think Ken555 had it right - we are all saying the same thing - Sheraton needs to do some brand "refurbishing" - the brand does not convey "top drawer" and needs some help. To balance the scale, when we were at the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane in April, we spoke with another guest who had booked at a nearby Marriott (did not catch which one) but checked out after one day and checked into the Park Lane. Her description of the Marriott was that it was "deplorable". If the refurbishing of the Park Lane is an indication of things to come for Sheraton, they are on the right track.