• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott website showing status of hotels/time shares damaged in Caribbean

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.paradisebymarriott.com/updates/

Here are the timeshares mentioned on 10/14/17:

US Virgin Islands
Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort
St Thomas, USVI
Closed to new reservations until: 12/31/2018

Westin St John
St John, USVI
Closed to new reservations until 12/31/2017

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Wow. Really end of 2018 for Frenchman’s Reef? What are they going to do with over 1 years of reservations not being available?

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Really end of 2018 for Frenchman’s Reef? What are they going to do with over 1 years of reservations not being available?

Remember: "Island Time," and construction resources (trades, equipment, supplies, personnel), are competing with neighboring Puerto Rico.

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frenchman's Reef Hotel (not to be confused with MVC Frenchmen Cove) apparently had extensive damage to it from both hurricanes. Since it sits on the southeast point into Charlotte Amalie harbor, it really caught the brunt of both hurricanes. I believe the reef is also an older hotel that was built around 1980 - Marriott has managed (but does not own) the hotel since about 2001. The hotel also suffered a lot damage from hurricanes in the 1990s, especially Marilyn in 1995, when it was under other management. The hotel's location is probably one of the best in the Virgin Islands, but also makes it very exposed to storms. I had heard that they will be lucky if they even open 1/1/2019.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Note the website above is a reference for cash and Marriott Rewards/Starwood Preferred Guest redemption stays provided by Marriott, Intl (the hotel company) and not Marriott Vacations Worldwide (the timeshare company.) MVW still does not have resort-specific information available online; the owners.marriottvacationclub.com home page says only this:

Tropical Weather Update:

Hurricanes Irma and Maria have passed all of our potentially impacted resorts at this time. Thankfully, no injury or loss of life were sustained at any of those Marriott Vacation Club properties. The property teams are working diligently to assess and remediate damage, if any, to the Marriott Vacation Club properties which were in the path of these storms. As always, the safety and security of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority. For more information, please call the resort hotline at (800)-306-9506.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
http://www.paradisebymarriott.com/updates/

Here are the timeshares mentioned on 10/14/17:

US Virgin Islands
Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort
St Thomas, USVI
Closed to new reservations until: 12/31/2018

Westin St John
St John, USVI
Closed to new reservations until 12/31/2017
Seems to be incorrect for the Westin St John. Owners have received communication that it is closed to reservations through 6/30/2018.

Last edited:

fdough1

Reaction score
I got a call from the Westin cancelling my January reservation . They said it would be at least till April before they are open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DannyMc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Royal Palms, Orlando; Marriott's Grande Ocean, HHI; Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI;
MVC Trust Points
Seems to be incorrect for the Westin St John. Owners have received communication that it is closed to reservations through 6/30/2018.

The website is referring to the Westin St. John HOTEL.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The hotel and the timeshare are effectively the same property now. I believe they are now converting the last of the hotel buildings to timeshare.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

It's a Marriott, Int'l website, not a Marriott Vacations Worldwide website. Regardless of whether it's making reference to hotel or timeshare properties, it advises MI's position re cash and Marriott Rewards redemption stays. MVW is a separate company and has not officially published status updates related to the reservations held by timeshare owners/exchangers.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I just got an email that the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas is going to be closed until March 2, 2018 and all reservations through that date will not be honored.

I have a reservation next month across Thanksgiving week, and Marriott is telling me that I will get holding points when the reservation is canceled. I will be curious to see if that's what happens (and will not be happy if it does). We will see.

Best,

Greg

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got an email that the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas is going to be closed until March 2, 2018 and all reservations through that date will not be honored.

I have a reservation next month across Thanksgiving week, and Marriott is telling me that I will get holding points when the reservation is canceled. I will be curious to see if that's what happens (and will not be happy if it does). We will see.

Best,

Greg
Information directly from MVC is clearly the best source.
This has just been released by the Virgin Islands Consortium though and makes rather sad reading.
I do hope you manage to get a satisfactory result with your bookings Greg.
http://viconsortium.com/business/fr...pairs-until-2019-ritz-carlton-until-oct-2018/

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
If these well-built well-maintained properties are damaged this badly, then imagine what the rest of the islands are like.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I just called Marriott regarding Frenchman's Cove as I have an II exchange starting on 4/28/2018 according to the Marriott rep they have no opening date. Why would interval be offering an exchange if they don't know when the resort will be open?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
According to II MFC will open in February. I did purchase both the insurance offered by II and Delta, fingers crossed.

RussellSun

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is really sad. My favorite resort in the world is Caneel Bay. I hope to visit Caneel Bay again when it reopens. Yes, the damage is extensive but remember this was a Category 5 hurricane. These are extreme circumstances. We need to be patient.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I just got an exchange in II for MFC for Thanksgiving 2018. What's the likelihood the resort will be open and functional by then?