• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott weeks deposit expiring July 15

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 1 bedroom deposit expiring July 15, but my family won't be able to take vacation until 1st half of August. Would it be better to extend the week or exchange for something and then get a E-plus? I have not done either in the past.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jane

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Instead of repeating it all, see this thread. The only difference is that you will be locked in to Flexchange. So you can only confirm an exchange inside of 59 days, with the initial exchange or any retrades.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually read that thread but the 59 day restriction makes it more confusing for me.

If I book a week checking in July 1 now, can I retrade to August right away if the right week becomes available? Retrade up to 3 times with 59 day restriction makes it almost equal to 6 month extension?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I actually read that thread but the 59 day restriction makes it more confusing for me.

If I book a week checking in July 1 now, can I retrade to August right away if the right week becomes available? Retrade up to 3 times with 59 day restriction makes it almost equal to 6 month extension?

Make an exchange for the week of 7/8- 7/15.
Purchase eplus.
You can then make your first eplus exchange 60 days into the future (so up to around 9/8- I didn’t count the days out on the calendar- 60 days roughly 2 months).
If you want to travel then and find your trip, great.
If not book your 2nd eplus as far out as possible and that allows you to search 60 days further.

Last edited:

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have II Gold or Platinum, ShortStay exchanges can also be a good use for weeks like that.
Thanks, Michael!

I totally forgot about Short Stay exchange. Is the inventory good? I do have an offer from Interval for half price Platinum.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make an exchange for the week of 7/8- 7/15.
Purchase eplus.
You can then make your first eplus exchange 60 days into the future (so up to around 9/8- I didn’t count the days out on the calendar- 60 days roughly 2 months).
If you want to travel then and find your trip, great.
If not book your 2nd eplus as far out as possible and that allows you to search 60 days further.
Thanks!

Looks like would be the best option for my situation.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's generally either last-minute availability or high-supply areas like Orlando. I've got some really great exchanges through it, though.
Thanks, Michael!

I totally forgot about Short Stay exchange. Is the inventory good? I do have an offer from Interval for half price Platinum.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thanks, Michael!

I agree about the flexibility of the Short Stays. We used a 6 day exchange for a two bedroom DSV1 this past May and still have another stay available. I used a two bedroom non-Marriott. I leave soon for Hawaii and could have extended my week with 6 day stay on Kauai if only I could have talked my sister into changing our dates. So if you are traveling to the over-supplied places, or can add time to an existing week on short notice, there is good value in short stays.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other advantage is that Short Stay doesn't have the restrictions that other exchanges have. There are no unit-size upgrade fees. There are no quality filters. There are no flex restrictions. There are no date restrictions.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I use one half of the short stay now before the deposit expires, when will the 2nd half expires?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Using Short Stay doesn't extend the expiration of your deposit.

Right now, with EPlus, you could potentially get a week as far out as February 2019. Make an exchange for checkin of August 8th and add Eplus. Then you can do a retrade right away for two months following August 8th, say Oct 8th, Then you can do another for Dec 8th and another for Feb 8th. Of course, these dates may not all fall on proper available checkin days or availability, so the actual dates won't be the same and you probably realistically only get out to perhaps the end of January.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn't extend the expiration, but you CAN use it for an exchange beyond the expiration date. For instance, if the deposit expires tomorrow, today you could do a short stay exchange for as long as 6 days as far out as early December. You could do the same with the second short stay exchange, or you could let the second one expire tomorrow. You can't do Eplus with short stays, so you do lose a bit of flexibility.

I absolutely love short stay exchanges. I'll usually exchange for two 6-day reservations and get 12 days out of one deposit. If you find back to back availability at the same resort, most resorts will usually let you stay in the same unit.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is short stay restrict to 6 months in advance when Michael mention book up to December?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using Short Stay doesn't extend the expiration of your deposit.

Right now, with EPlus, you could potentially get a week as far out as February 2019. Make an exchange for checkin of August 8th and add Eplus. Then you can do a retrade right away for two months following August 8th, say Oct 8th, Then you can do another for Dec 8th and another for Feb 8th. Of course, these dates may not all fall on proper available checkin days or availability, so the actual dates won't be the same and you probably realistically only get out to perhaps the end of January.

Just to prevent confusion Jane says her week expires July 15 - so it’s September, November, January 2019 for the max extension.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just to prevent confusion Jane says her week expires July 15 - so it’s September, November, January 2019 for the max extension.
Thanks for pointing that out, I guess I got August from when she was looking to travel.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is short stay restrict to 6 months in advance when Michael mention book up to December?
The furthest out that deposits show up in Short Stay is 180 days. So, for instance, right now you can see Orlando (the highest supply area) through early December. Not everything will be available in Short Stay, even if it's within 180 days. For instance, Hawaii deposits typically don't show up unless they're less than 30 days out. But you won't find anything, anywhere more than 180 days out in Short Stay.