• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I grabbed a 12/2-9 NCV week and now need to decide whether this was a good choice for my family. We are two seniors and a disabled young adult, so we aren't very athletic. We enjoy scenic drives, interesting architecture, beach vistas and generally puttering around.

I'll be reading all of the TUG reviews and any other internet info I can find, but any thoughts, tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

How's the weather in early December?

What is the best airport for flying into the area? It needs to be one served by Southwest.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sheila

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I can’t comment on the resort since I have not stayed there yet but I can comment on your other questions. I suspect the weather in early December will be nice. It will probably be cooler than the summer and a bit cold at night. Rain is unpredictable these days in California but we usually do not get much rain from April through December. We pray for rain these days since we seem to be in eternal drought. For Newport Coast, the closest airport is John Wayne in Orange County but LAX is not that far away either. Both are served by Southwest. The coast in Orange County is beautiful. There are many great beaches and seaside communities within minutes of the Marriott Newport Coast resort. Disneyland in Anaheim is within an hour. There are many tourist attractions in Orange County, LA and San Diego within a 1-2 hour drive of Marriott’s Newport Coast. It is our plan to stay there soon since we live in California.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You will fly into John Wayne Airport (SNA). December will be typically mild, with the average temperature being about 60 degrees. The weather will be beautiful if not raining, but it doesn't rain much there (about 1.5 inches in December).

The area is beautiful, and not far from Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
The resort is beautiful and in a great area. It is across the street and up a hill from Crystal Cove State Beach. It is in an upscale area with plenty of restaurants close by. I would highly recommend renting a car so you can explore the coast. It's a lovely drive.

I have never heard a negative comment from anyone staying here. As long as your ok with cooler weather in December you should enjoy this resort. I just drove by it 2 days ago on a beautiful sunny day. The weather will very from 60's to 80 on a great day. We don't get 7 days of rain in a row here so the odds are in your favor.

My sister is spending Thanksgiving week at the Newport Coast and offered to have dinner for the family so I will be there in November. My mother lives in San Clemente (20 minutes away) and has stayed there 3 times. All during our winter months.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Laguna Beach is just a short drive south from NCV and a great place to "putter around". Lots of shops and restaurants, not to mention the nice beach area.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are two seniors and a disabled young adult, so we aren't very athletic.
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas is a wonderful resort in a great location. There are plenty of things to do in Orange County. You can also take day trips to Los Angeles County and San Diego County, although these will involve a lot of time in the car (due to the traffic to Los Angeles and the distance to San Diego).

However, you need to be aware that Newport Coast Villas is a hillside property. Getting around the resort with any mobility issues will add challenges. There are stairs and steep sidewalks throughout the resort. But the resort has also made and effort to provide accessible access options as much as possible.

Regular parking spaces can be an issue (especially late in the evening) — and probably disabled spaces too.

All buildings at Newport Coast Villas have elevators, although some are difficult to find.

Be sure the resort is aware of what kind of accessibility you need so that you get an appropriate room assignment.

Enjoy your vacation!

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
However, you need to be aware that Newport Coast Villas is a hillside property. Getting around the resort with any mobility issues will add challenges. There are stairs and steep sidewalks throughout the resort. But the resort has also made and effort to provide accessible access options as much as possible.

Regular parking spaces can be an issue (especially late in the evening) — and probably disabled spaces too.

All buildings at Newport Coast Villas have elevators, although some are difficult to find.

Be sure the resort is aware of what kind of accessibility you need so that you get an appropriate room assignment.

Enjoy your vacation!

I was thinking the same thing. "Hillside" is putting it mildly. It's almost cliff-side. We got a room in the main building once, and the parking garage was a flat walk to it. But most of the buildings were accessible to the main area by stairs, stairs and MORE stairs.

So I second Werner Weiss's suggestion to make sure they are aware of any needs you have regarding accessibility. And enjoy!

Bill4728

Reaction score
re elevators
some of the bldgs. do not have elevators but use the bldg. next door to get you to the right level [ like use the elevator in bldg. 1400 to go down to 1st floor from the street level then walk to 1st floor of bldg. 1500]

Bill4728

Reaction score
We own at NCV and love visiting there

Southwest flies to Orange county/ SNA/ John Wayne and the airport is a short drive to the resort ( take MacArthur from the airport south to the ocean [pac hwy] turn left and go about 1.5 miles to the resort off Newport Coast parkway on the left)

The resort has a shuttle that takes you to the restaurant on the beach ( Beachcomber ) at Crystal cove state park. they have a great breakfast lunch and dinner right on the beach.

There is a huge supermarket at the top of the hill ( Newport Coast Prk) for food and supplies and a Trader Joe's in the strip mall about 1 mile south of the resort on the Pac Hwy.

As others have said there is lots of places to see and eat in the area BUT be sure to go to Balboa where there is two ocean piers. There is also a ferry from Balboa island to Balboa peninsula <$5 which is a fun 2 minute ride.

Have a great time

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
We enjoy scenic drives, interesting architecture, beach vistas and generally puttering around.

Sheila

I live about 20 minutes from the resort and have stayed there. You will have a wonderful time. So much to see in the area. Here is an easy drive that I think you will love. I personally drive/hike in this area a few times a year. The view just doesn't get any better. Take PCH south to Laguna Beach. In Laguna Beach turn left on Park Ave. Take Park Ave all the way to the top of the hill. You will run into Alta Laguna Drive. Turn left and park at the end on the right at Alta Laguna Park. You are now at the area called "Top of the World" The view up the coast is spectacular and the view going north inland is just as good. Be sure to walk around this area. Its mostly flat unless you decide to hike downhill. The road up there can be narrow and steep with views all around. You will also notice many of the expensive homes in the area just built into the side of the hill. From Newport Coast its probably under 30 minutes to get to the top. After I hike around I like to go into Laguna Beach and have lunch at one of the many restaurants. This will provide you with a scenic drive, interesting architecture, beach vistas and puttering around all in one drive. Look it up on google maps before you go just so you are familiar with the distance and turns.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I live about 20 minutes from the resort and have stayed there. You will have a wonderful time. So much to see in the area. Here is an easy drive that I think you will love. I personally drive/hike in this area a few times a year. The view just doesn't get any better. Take PCH south to Laguna Beach. In Laguna Beach turn left on Park Ave. Take Park Ave all the way to the top of the hill. You will run into Alta Laguna Drive. Turn left and park at the end on the right at Alta Laguna Park. You are now at the area called "Top of the World" The view up the coast is spectacular and the view going north inland is just as good. Be sure to walk around this area. Its mostly flat unless you decide to hike downhill. The road up there can be narrow and steep with views all around. You will also notice many of the expensive homes in the area just built into the side of the hill. From Newport Coast its probably under 30 minutes to get to the top. After I hike around I like to go into Laguna Beach and have lunch at one of the many restaurants. This will provide you with a scenic drive, interesting architecture, beach vistas and puttering around all in one drive. Look it up on google maps before you go just so you are familiar with the distance and turns.

+1

At the turn off PCH on to Park Drive is a greek place -Adonis, pick up a gyro and have a picnic on top of the world. When you come back down get a gelato at Dolce Gelato on Broadway. The Ferrero Rocher is my favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Thanks for the great information. Flights aren't open for my dates yet, but I'm hoping the fares for SNA are low enough to allow me to avoid LAX. I'm getting excited about planning this trip. Still haven't broken the news to my husband, who's only comment about where we should vacation this year was "anywhere, as long as it's not California". He's convinced an earthquake will hit while we're there.

Sheila

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
December should be fine. Average highs 64, lows 49....

Great resort, not to be missed. Area is also wonderful, lots to see.

Definitely one of the top 5 resorts in Marriott's system (they could all tie for being #1).

Breathtaking views of Pacific Ocean if you're lucky with unit assignment, hopefully less % owners staying there then. (make a request!!!!)

Enjoy

Last edited:

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed there in late November a few years back. It was a little chilly at night but not freezing.

Loved the decorations at Disneyland and did a day trip to San Diego to see the zoo (and stopped at the Hotel del Coronado on the way back). Laguna beach had some fun holiday artwork on the light poles. It was a beautiful area and a great resort.

But driving on some the big highways can be a little intimidating if you are not used to that...

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the warning about the traffic, but I work in Pasadena from time to time and fly in and out of LAX. Their traffic is challenging, but I've driven in worse. The only place I really hate to drive is Miami.

I don't think we'll make it to Disneyland, but we might try to. I went there once as a child. That wasn't too long after they opened.

Thanks again for the tips.

Sheila

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Getting excited about this trip. Thanks for all of the tips!

Sheila

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting excited about this trip. Thanks for all of the tips!

Sheila

Just booked NCV for 4 nights at the end of JAN. Looking forward to any insights you may have from your visit there this week to help us plan for our visit. Pay it forward and I will do the same. That's why TUG is such a great place.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Definitely one of the top 5 resorts in Marriott's system.....
Marty, we agree on most things but not this one. We enjoyed our stay at Newport Coast a few years ago, but I felt it was only ordinary Marriott quality, nothing special. I ranked it number 21 of the 30 we have stayed at.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Marty, we agree on most things but not this one. We enjoyed our stay at Newport Coast a few years ago, but I felt it was only ordinary Marriott quality, nothing special. I ranked it number 21 of the 30 we have stayed at.

Hmmm, I'm shocked that you ranked it that low. I do remember seeing that ranking when you listed it.

Our experience and impression of the resort was different (not addressing the "ordinary quality" issue, I know), but looking back,
it was very early in our Marriott resort travels, so comparisons were short.
We visited in 2003 when our kids were in their early teens.
It was one of our more enjoyable family vacations, and the setting was as beautiful as they come.
I'm thinking that maybe for us, the resort's gorgeous setting superseded all else.
Our eyes were still wide open with new mega-resort style vacationing!

We did get what looked like a brand new villa, I remember that. I think they were constructed in 2000, just 3 years prior,
so it appeared wonderful.
That said, we didn't spend any time in the villa at all, and because of that I don't remember ANYTHING about what the villa
looked like specifically, what was in it, or the layout.
We did spend a good bit of time at the big pool---it was pristine, and had a great view. When we first arrived I was impressed with the
huge lobby and check-in area.....it seemed the prettiest I had seen. The staff was superb, and helped us arrange a private tour of Hollywood (Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, homes of stars, etc). We also drove around a lot, visited Newport Beach for
dining and shopping, and even a movie. We saw a lot in the area, up and down the coast, including the San Diego Zoo.

Our unit assignment was one of the best ever, to this day. We had a top floor unit with a spectacular view of the Pacific,
and we were close to the parking deck. Our building was up the hill from the golf course, and now they have built
many more units below that building. The landscaping was beautiful.
The cliffs and beach below the resort were breathtaking....we walked the beach a good bit.

Most of our time was off-site, granted, but I didn't particularly notice any quality issues at the resort proper. At least none jumped out.
Probably wasn't looking, and due to being with the kids I was perhaps oblivious if any were present. If it was generic and ordinary,
I guess we had not traveled much around the Marriott system as of yet. (I'm grasping.)
I trust your judgment more than anyone's, so I've been wracking my brain to remember anything deficient or even "ordinary",
but I can't come up with anything. I'm not denying it at all, but I'm pleading ignorance. We were too engaged apparently.

Not entirely in line with your focus here, so I'll simply say again that our experience was superb, hence my higher rating,
but again, that doesn't address the ordinary quality issue specifically.
Because of the time elapsed since 2003, I'd have to say I'll keep my ears open, and be more discerning if we go back.
Your personal ratings have been a very good influence, and quite contributory toward our travel plans.

Recent PHOTOS of resort:
The resort landscape has definitely matured since we were there in 2003.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwjOueSzg4nfAhUDneAKHW_aAkkQoiowDXoECAMQBg

Last edited:

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
From looking at maps, photos and researching a bit, it seems that key requests for room location include:
  • Top floor (to avoid view being blocked)
  • Building orientation
    • For example, 4800 and 4900 look choice b/c at top of hill and face Pacific
    • 5000, 5100, 4600 & 4700 appear to face more S than W
    • Unless you want close up view of golf course, front row of buildings (1000 - 2000) doesn't seem to have value
    • 4xxx buildings seem a bit more isolated if you're looking for quiet; further walk to main area and big pool is presumably the tradeoff
    • I think the pool they are working on through FEB is the Tide Pool closest to Bldgs 1000 - 1200, but need to confirm
Any thoughts? In a perfect world, I'd request top floor of 4800 or 4900.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the tide pool is currently being redone.

We enjoyed the area very much. Villa was very nice and typical Marriott standards.

Resort amenities were not our favorite. Pools were ok but we have been spoiled by some of the MVCI pool area.

Other sites pools, workout areas etc are very nice. We frequently go to HHI Barony, Surfwatch, Grande Ocean, in addition Lakeshore, Canyon Villas, Shadow Ridge, Ko Olina.

We may be spoiled with these sites.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Hmmm, I'm shocked that you ranked it that low. I do remember seeing that ranking when you listed it.

Our experience and impression of the resort was different (not addressing the "ordinary quality" issue, I know), but looking back,
it was very early in our Marriott resort travels, so comparisons were short.
We visited in 2003 when our kids were in their early teens.
It was one of our more enjoyable family vacations, and the setting was as beautiful as they come.
I'm thinking that maybe for us, the resort's gorgeous setting superseded all else.
Our eyes were still wide open with new mega-resort style vacationing!

We did get what looked like a brand new villa, I remember that. I think they were constructed in 2000, just 3 years prior,
so it appeared wonderful.
That said, we didn't spend any time in the villa at all, and because of that I don't remember ANYTHING about what the villa
looked like specifically, what was in it, or the layout.
We did spend a good bit of time at the big pool---it was pristine, and had a great view. When we first arrived I was impressed with the
huge lobby and check-in area.....it seemed the prettiest I had seen. The staff was superb, and helped us arrange a private tour of Hollywood (Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, homes of stars, etc). We also drove around a lot, visited Newport Beach for
dining and shopping, and even a movie. We saw a lot in the area, up and down the coast, including the San Diego Zoo.

Our unit assignment was one of the best ever, to this day. We had a top floor unit with a spectacular view of the Pacific,
and we were close to the parking deck. Our building was up the hill from the golf course, and now they have built
many more units below that building. The landscaping was beautiful.
The cliffs and beach below the resort were breathtaking....we walked the beach a good bit.

Most of our time was off-site, granted, but I didn't particularly notice any quality issues at the resort proper. At least none jumped out.
Probably wasn't looking, and due to being with the kids I was perhaps oblivious if any were present. If it was generic and ordinary,
I guess we had not traveled much around the Marriott system as of yet. (I'm grasping.)
I trust your judgment more than anyone's, so I've been wracking my brain to remember anything deficient or even "ordinary",
but I can't come up with anything. I'm not denying it at all, but I'm pleading ignorance. We were too engaged apparently.

Not entirely in line with your focus here, so I'll simply say again that our experience was superb, hence my higher rating,
but again, that doesn't address the ordinary quality issue specifically.
Because of the time elapsed since 2003, I'd have to say I'll keep my ears open, and be more discerning if we go back.
Your personal ratings have been a very good influence, and quite contributory toward our travel plans.
Marty, it is probably just me, as most seem to love Newport Coast. We enjoyed our week there, and I really have nothing bad to say about it, just not really impressed. I think it was too big and sprawling for my taste, and not right on the beach. For us, it is no Grande Ocean. I sometimes am an outlier in resort opinion here--another one is Ocean Pointe which most on TUG seem to love, but I ranked it only #26 of 30. And Harbour Club is my second favorite on Hilton Head, behind only Grande Ocean, which is a minority opinion too. I get more agreement on some of my top choices--Maui Ocean Club, Kauai Lagoons, Ko Olina and Grande Ocean.

Last edited:

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To our family Newport Coast was a wonderful place to stay as we visited the many attractions of Southern California - Catalina Island, Disneyland, LA, etc. There are many great restaurants nearby and we were just enchanted by Crystal Cove and the Beachcomber Cafe on the ocean right down the street - I had no idea such a place still existed in SoCal.

That said, unlike many other MVCI resorts I would never go to Newport Coast to just to stay there. So like BocaBoy, I feel as a resort in and of itself it's toward the bottom of the list. But as way to see SoCal while staying in a multi-bedroom villa it's definitely worth it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty, it is probably just me, as most seem to love Newport coast. We enjoyed our week there, and I really have nothing bad to say about it, just not really impressed. I think it was too big and sprawling for my taste, and not right on the beach. For us, it is no Grande Ocean. I sometimes am an outlier in resort opinion here--another one is Ocean Pointe which most on TUG seem to love, but I ranked it only #26 of 30. And Harbour Club is my second favorite on Hilton Head, behind only Grande Ocean, which is a minority opinion too. I get more agreement on some of my top choices--Maui Ocean Club, Kauai Lagoons, Ko Olina and Grande Ocean.
It's always interesting how subtle experiences and minor issues affect our enjoyment/opinion of a resort. I've developed the opinion that some are location oriented and some are more resort oriented though most are some variation between the 2, it's just where you lean. Usually we're more resort oriented but we really want both a very nice resort and a good location. For us GO is our top pick, haven't been to NC though. We really like Heritage, Monarch was OK but nothing special. Overall we like Grande Vista better than LR.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
It's always interesting how subtle experiences and minor issues affect our enjoyment/opinion of a resort. I've developed the opinion that some are location oriented and some are more resort oriented though most are some variation between the 2, it's just where you lean. Usually we're more resort oriented but we really want both a very nice resort and a good location. For us GO is our top pick, haven't been to NC though. We really like Heritage, Monarch was OK but nothing special. Overall we like Grande Vista better than LR.

True.
..........and thank goodness we all have choices. That's the sweet thing about timeshares, we get to pick what and where we purchase.
Many resorts are sold out or close to it, so apparently each appealed to someone strongly. A hole-in-the-wall can be something special
while a castle is more suited to another.

And we each married somebody different. I'm personally grateful for that one.
I got a Platinum Plus wife for cheap---
had I paid what she's worth I could NEVER have afforded it (my maintenance fees HAVE continued to rise, but that's life, right?)

There are so-so resorts in spectacular locations, and amazing resorts in unremarkable spots, and both work.
We've experienced both and actually enjoy the variety.
Same wife, different vacation destinations---that's the safe way to do it. :)