• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I'm not sure one list is possible! Everyone's tastes are so different, plus how do you compare a casual seafood place like Skull Creek Boathouse to an Italian fine dining place like Ombra?

I think Marty's list is as close to the definitive Hilton Head Island restaurant guide as any I have seen anywhere, so I suggest using that as your road map to HHI dining. That's what we do. Marty should expand the reviews and then publish it! A business opportunity!

I've used Marty's list extensively in our HHI trips, and lately, we've been trying to sample different restaurants on each trip instead of returning to our favorites, so haven't been to many places more than once. We have been to HHI five times in the last 11 months (26 total nights), so we've been able to sample quite a few.

For the heck of it, I went through Marty's list, and my memory, and listed all of the places I can recall eating on HHI in the last few years. I then took a stab at it and bolded my Top Ten, but honestly, there are a couple that didn't make the top ten that easily could have. But I forced myself to only do 10. Since most places we've only been to once, it's hard to really rank. The only dinner spots we've been to more than once are Skull Creek Boathouse, Fishcamp on Broad Creek, Old Oyster Factory, The Quarterdeck, and The Jazz Corner. Fishcamp and Old Oyster are the two that just missed my top 10. So, for whatever it's worth, see below:

Skull Creek Boathouse
Fishcamp on Broad Creek
Skull Creek Dockside
Black Marlin
Old Oyster Factory
Crazy Crab
Salty Dog Cafe
Bucci's Italian Cuisine Shelter Cover
San Miguel's Mexican Cafe

Ombra
Wiseguys
Alexanders

Darren Clarke’s Tavern
Santa Fe
Frankie Bones
CQ’s

The Quarterdeck
Old Fort Pub

Poseidon
The Jazz Corner

One Hot Mamas
The French Bakery
British Open Pub
Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe
I can't really pick an absolute favorite. I guess for a traditional seafood place my vote has to go to Skull Creek Boathouse (although we really liked the new Dockside location next door on July 4 as well - and they do online reservations. Had a great view of the Skull Creek fireworks.) For all around best menu, we loved Frankie Bones, and we love The Jazz Corner for the music/food combination.

VERY nice post, Jim.
You're doing it right, especially trying the different spots ---we definitely do that, but we go to HH so often
that we can also continue mixing the new spots with the old favorites.

For us, any trip without Santa Fe would be intolerable----that one is a given, and always the first night.
For breakfast, two other givens are Palmetto Bay Sunrise Cafe AND Kenny B's. Totally different, totally awesome.
For lunch, our favorite is Jane's Bistro....wonderful.

And a trip or two without mixing in Ombra, Sage Room, CQ's, Crane's Tavern, Frankie Bones,
May River Grill, & Skull Creek Boathouse would be too painful to imagine.

Won't attempt to round out a Top Ten, as about 5 or 6 more "fine dining" ones
would be vying for 2 spots, and I couldn't possibly do that......too many great ones.

(and that's not even counting the spontaneous casual spots like Mellow Mushroom, One Hot Mama's,
Old Oyster Factory, Low Country BackYard, and Truffles)

Having said all that and having included a short list, EVERY restaurant
I've listed is a good one and worthy of a visit, or else it wouldn't have made the list.
Many popular places didn't.

Bon appetit

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
JIMinNC, Thanks for all your information and recommendations.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I am also going to use Miss Marty’s excellent information and recommendations.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap:

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our late night go to is Street Meet. In a large city this would be a blue collar bar/restaurant. Lots of locals. There’s outdoor seating. Food is pretty much what you would expect and not bad. It’s located in Port Royal Plaza around the corner from the Bi-Lo.

During football season, it’s a place for Cleveland Browns fans to congregate and watch the loss on TV.

http://streetmeethhi.com/

Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
JIMinNC, Thanks for all your information and recommendations.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I am also going to use Miss Marty’s excellent information and recommendations.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::clap:

Glad you'll use the recommendations, many thanks, but I'm not "Miss" Marty.
I'm a guy, and have been for as long as I can remember, LOL.
There used to be a "Miss Marty" on TUG, maybe still is, but no relation.

Please let me know if I can help in any way at all.....restaurants or otherwise.
Sometimes the restaurants on the list just seem to run together, and they can get confusing when you're
unfamiliar with anything. That's why looking at each place's full menu is important.
I tried to include website links, etc. to facilitate that curiosity.

So if you need to ask specific questions, or simply say, "Hey, we like so-and-so, WHERE the heck should we go?",
then contact me anytime.

Last edited:

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Does anyone have recommendations for Grocery Stores on Hilton Head?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Depends on where you're staying, if convenience is a factor. That aside, these are the three that we use:

Harris Teeter .....2 blocks from the first Traffic Circle at Greenwood Drive & Palmetto Bay Rd, adjacent to Mellow Mushroom.
https://goo.gl/maps/8JVjbWNCAfo

Publix......one traffic light from same circle, just off Palmetto Bay Rd.
https://goo.gl/maps/ErkQfMiEJG92

Kroger Supermarket-----our favorite---located on Hwy 278 (original William Hilton Pkwy) in Shelter Cove Towne Centre Shopping Plaza (former mall)....Amazing store--great produce, awesome wine shop, nice deli and bakery.
https://goo.gl/maps/483Ya11Tp4q

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Depends on where you're staying, if convenience is a factor. That aside, these are the three that we use:

Harris Teeter .....2 blocks from the first Traffic Circle at Greenwood Drive & Palmetto Bay Rd, adjacent to Mellow Mushroom.

Kroger Superstore-----our favorite---located on Hwy 278 (original William Hilton Pkwy)
in Shelter Cove Towne Centre Shopping Plaza (former mall)....Amazing store--great produce, awesome wine shop, nice deli and breads.
Thank you so much

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sat down this morning to prepare a list of places to go for our upcoming trip to Hilton Head. It's been six years. Wow, how time flies.

As one previous poster stated, I believe that there is indeed a business opportunity here with this Hilton Head Restaurant Guide.

I was sadly mistaken when I opened up a word document and started placing restaurants on the list. Okay. That soon became a "fail." I just need to print off the complete list and try to go through and do some highlighting. I reminisced regarding some of the reviews. Having not been there for six years, but previously had traveled there many times prior, I fondly remember many from the list.

Three stood out for me:

Santa Fe**... (my personal favorite restaurant on the island)
"Fine dining" atmosphere but still casual. Love window tables in back room/right side
near chef's grill. Menu has Southwestern flair. Signature dishes: Cowboy Cut Ribeye,
Grouper,Outrageous Chimichanga,Painted Desert Soup. Not really for kids, but items available.
Say Hello to owner Marshall, tell him Mona & Marty sent you!!!
http://www.santafehhi.com/

We just happened upon this place the last time that we were in HH. It was an all around enjoyable experience. We were there for lunch and sat in the front. We were blown away by that Painted Desert Soup. I can't want to revisit on this trip for dinner and get back there by the chef's grill. I know how to name-drop, if necessary.

Vine Bistro & Wine Bar****....recent change of ownership, but still upholds original owner's vision.
definitely need reservations far in advance (well before your trip, like a month).......
Small intimate place, low light, not many tables, "above and beyond" fine dining, very expensive. Caters to locals & regulars (limits "tourist's" ability to make prime-time reservations---here's how > must call 863-686-3900 and they return your call for reservations).....No official website. Definitely not for kids, and only for the most discriminating TUG diners! Outstanding creative dishes, superb service---see the reviews, consistent 5 stars.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/vine-hilton-head-island

Wow, when was the "....recent change of ownership...."? We have very fond memories of a food tour visit to Vine and a subsequent return visit that evening with another couple from the tour. On the tour, the owner of Vine shared his background and his vision for his restaurant. Having for years stayed in the Coligny area, it was great having this new gem of a restaurant nearby. We clicked with another couple on the tour, and decided to meet up later to share dinner at the restaurant. It was a late reservation. Everyone at the table was having a great time, as well as the staff and owner. The restaurant closed and we were encouraged to stay. They shared their wines and items from the kitchen. It was a heck of a good time. A very fond memory.

Salty Dog Cafe……….popular Seafood/Sandwich/Burger spot in Sea Pines’ South Beach, with indoor or outdoor dining
(outdoor area is quite large). Good for lunch or dinner. Located among shops and other restaurants.
Evening entertainment in summer (check schedule for other seasons). Food is good, can occasionally be mediocre
but all in all, it’s a great family spot & lots of fun.
http://saltydog.com/

The SDC became a tradition for our family. My Mom first stumbled across a place in South Carolina called Hilton Head when she went on a timeshare exchange that I got for her. That was about 30 years ago. She ended up buying a resale from the resort while on that vacation. It became a yearly trip for her. She made a believer out of us and we regularly visited Hilton Head over the years. What's not to like?

Mom also first discovered the Salty Dog Cafe. You couldn't visit Hilton Head and not stop by for a spell.

All I know right now is that I can't wait to get there, get on a bike, and ride to the beach.

The itinerary is filling up fast for where to dine.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It has to be humid and hot in July or August in Hilton Head. We went in April about three years ago and had no problems at all with heat and humidity. It was pleasantly cool, and the golf carts on Daufuskie Island were a lot of fun for us. I am easily entertained. A boat ride and a pleasant lunch, then golf carts.

I have to say that all of the restaurants were good, but I don't remember the names of any of them. I was doing my low-carb diet at the time and could only eat meat and vegetables.

We stayed at the Disney on Hilton Head Island via exchange, and I loved that place. Then we stayed at Barony. Totally different experiences, but I am most fond of Disney when I look back on it.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
It has to be humid and hot in July or August in Hilton Head.

True, yes it is, and right you are.... (I really want to say "Duh")

But it's also equally hot and humid in Myrtle Beach, Palm Beach, Miami, Tampa's Clearwater Beach, Ft. Lauderdale,
Key West, Sanibel Island, Outer Banks NC, St. Augustine FL, Coney Island, Cape Cod,
and frankly ANYWHERE from Jersey Shore to St Croix & St. Maarten Caribbean.
Seattle had a heat wave, and folks were dying in Chicago.

We've been to St. Thomas,VI and other parts of the Caribbean in all directions, Hawaii, and Atlantis/Bahamas (to mention a few)
in July, and it was EXACTLY the same, no difference---- so the REAL DECISION is to
pick something you wish to do in addition to playing in the sun, given that the temps WILL BE SIMILAR.

Golf, fishing, shopping, dining, kayaking, walking the beach, biking, swimming, boogie boarding,
parasailing, touring historic sites, or WHATEVER----- then pick a place that has it all (or your version of "all")....
but be 100% guaranteed the temps and humidity will be similarly oppressive during those two months.

I personally don't want an Alaskan Cruise or a mountain hike, and my kids never mentioned those either ----
We all wanted a wide beach, awesome pools, grills, bike trails, ice cream cones, chaise lounges with huge towels
& somewhere on a deck with a sea breeze cooling our bodies, with no sound but the ocean waves, a couple of Margaritas
and a case of cold beer,
(and everything else I didn't list) which are all readily available at Hilton Head.

You'd have to visit Nova Scotia or shores near Seattle to have predictably cool, comfortable temps in July or August,
so....if it's summer (when your kids are out of school, OR you adults simply want some salt air)
and you all want some water to jump into, Hilton Head is as good a place as any, seriously better than most, and no worse.

I've NEVER read a forecast that said, "It's hot as hell in Hilton Head but mid-70s everywhere else".

For goodness' sake, it's Summertime, it's the same ocean up and down, and you're in the South. Ask the kids if they care.

NOTE: For my "vice versa" corollary, we stayed at Custom House/Boston last year in December---
for the entire week the average temp was 14, and never got above the low 20s.
What did we do?
We probably walked more than we ever have....walked to dinner, walked all over the city shopping and enjoying the Holiday cheer!
The year before, ditto, altho the temps were "much higher" in the mid-20s.
C'est la Vie....and we love it.... and nothing slows us down or precludes our visiting any destination we love at any time.
We like all seasons, and altho we typically travel in peak seasons to high-end destinations, we do not exclude anything.

Excuse the tangential hijack....now back to the REAL topic at hand.....DINING! :)

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

We prefer eating in to eating out but on Hilton Head that doesn't have to mean skimping on quality or saving money. :)

My hands-down favorite for meat, deli, fruits/veg, prepared salads and sides, cheese, breads and other specialty items is Fresh Market, which for you would be a right out of Shipyard then a left into the same plaza as Bonefish Grill. It's on the pricey side, though, so we do the basics at Kroger, Publix or Walmart (but the one off-island is better than the one on.) Some people prefer Whole Foods to Fresh Market and there's a newer Whole Foods in the Shelter Cove area - I think where the Piggly-Wiggly used to be?

Seafood, we like Barnacle Bill's, right out of Shipyard then a left further up 278 than Fresh Market. We buy day-of when we have seafood but you can tell him when you'll be cooking it and he'll let you know if it needs to be packed differently or frozen.

Chocolate and ice cream, Kilwin's in the Shelter Cove Towne Center area near Kroger's, also a right out of Shipyard and a left further up.

Pizza that they prepare and you take home to cook fresh, TJ's Take&Bake in the Main Street area much further up at the north end of the island, same side of 278 as Shipyard. Take-out cooked pizza, Giusseppi's, also in the Shelter Cove area; expect a wait.

Pastries/desserts - we like The French Bakery on Shelter Cove Lane. Many prefer Signe's on Arrow Road, a left out of Shipyard then a right onto Arrow Road before the circle.

One thing that we haven't found is a sub shop that's consistently fresh/good, although we haven't yet tried the new one that's in the newly-constructed plaza where Plantation Station used to be. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We prefer eating in to eating out but on Hilton Head that doesn't have to mean skimping on quality or saving money. :)

My hands-down favorite for meat, deli, fruits/veg, prepared salads and sides, cheese, breads and other specialty items is Fresh Market, which for you would be a right out of Shipyard then a left into the same plaza as Bonefish Grill. It's on the pricey side, though, so we do the basics at Kroger, Publix or Walmart (but the one off-island is better than the one on.) Some people prefer Whole Foods to Fresh Market and there's a newer Whole Foods in the Shelter Cove area - I think where the Piggly-Wiggly used to be?

Seafood, we like Barnacle Bill's, right out of Shipyard then a left further up 278 than Fresh Market. We buy day-of when we have seafood but you can tell him when you'll be cooking it and he'll let you know if it needs to be packed differently or frozen.

Chocolate and ice cream, Kilwin's in the Shelter Cove Towne Center area near Kroger's, also a right out of Shipyard and a left further up.

Pizza that they prepare and you take home to cook fresh, TJ's Take&Bake in the Main Street area much further up at the north end of the island, same side of 278 as Shipyard. Take-out cooked pizza, Giusseppi's, also in the Shelter Cove area; expect a wait.

Pastries/desserts - we like The French Bakery on Shelter Cove Lane. Many prefer Signe's on Arrow Road, a left out of Shipyard then a right onto Arrow Road before the circle.

One thing that we haven't found is a sub shop that's consistently fresh/good, although we haven't yet tried the new one that's in the newly-constructed plaza where Plantation Station used to be. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks for the great information..I use Sprouted Grain Ezekiel Bread and I'm hopeful I can find it at "Fresh Market"

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We discovered the sandwich shop in Harris Teeter Supermarket and thought they made excellent subs. They have Boars Head and each day they had a $4.99 half sub that was a very good deal.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm staying at Shipyard by Spinnaker

Kroger Supermarket-----our favorite---located on Hwy 278 (original William Hilton Pkwy) in Shelter Cove Towne Centre Shopping Plaza (former mall)....Amazing store--great produce, awesome wine shop, nice deli and bakery.

We went to Publix last night after dinner and we got most of what we needed for the week.

Thank you for the suggestion of the Black Marlin... It was amazing and the food was incredible...

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can anyone give me a reccommendation to find cheap beach towels and beach toys close to Shipyard?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We went to Publix last night after dinner and we got most of what we needed for the week. Thank you for the suggestion of the Black Marlin... It was amazing and the food was incredible...

And don't forget, if anyone is staying at a Marriott, the SERG restaurants offer the Marriott 10% discount (10% of entrees only).
It helps.

Also, if staying at a Marriott and you want a restaurant that doesn't offer reservations,
USE THE CONCIERGE for "call-ahead seating"......you'll typically be seated in less than 10 minutes,
when otherwise it could be 30-120 minutes, depending on where you are.
It could literally eliminate a 2 hour wait at Skull Creek Boathouse, usually the most crowded place on the island.
These places limit this privilege to Marriott guests exclusively.

LATE EDIT: And as JIMinNC adds in post #301, Hilton guests at Ocean Oak also
get call-ahead seating through their concierge. Good info.

Last edited: