• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Looks like NTP is going to be very sad. I'm sad to hear about Chart House but more for nostalgia - it used to be a staple of ours for celebratory dinners in the Boston area and in Florida, and it was nice knowing it was an option on HHI.
It would be an understatement to say that I am extremely sad to hear this news. :( I'm going to hold out hope that they find a way to reopen eventually, though. I assume that the building they were in sustained significant damage from the hurricane?

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've eaten at Nicks on Park Lane off of 278 the last two weeks. They are having true BOGOs, 2 for 1. Not fancy but nice enough and the food is fine.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
It would be an understatement to say that I am extremely sad to hear this news. :( I'm going to hold out hope that they find a way to reopen eventually, though. I assume that the building they were in sustained significant damage from the hurricane?

The deck/dock was completely torn away. The parent company also said that lease renewal along with the damage led to their decision to close. Frankly, I was never impressed with the Chart House. My favorite is the Boathouse.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
To clarify, I was referring to Pazzo's, not Chart House (though that's also unfortunate for them). Skull Creek is one of my favorite restaurants on the island, so I am looking forward to what SERG has in store for that location.

TRAVELING FOOL

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you get the chance, have a meal at 843 which is the sister restaurant of Vine (same ownership). It's in the Fresh Market shopping center on the far left end of the center. Patio seating available. Small dinning area w/ no real bar to speak of.

We called Vine for last minute seating and they asked us if we would consider 843 as we could be seated immediately (15 minutes). I checked Trip Advisor and it had good ratings/opinions. We were greated by the manager and given his personal attention. I think the menu changes every day so everything on it is a thoughful, personally prepared meal (I guess the Fresh Market next door helps with that?). We left with mixed opinons due to the limited menu but what we all had was very good.

A few more opinions would help.
We live in Bluffton, so go to the Island often. We recently attended "A Taste of the Seasons", held at the Marriott Resort and Spa in December. Many of the restaurants had food tastings. 843 was one of our favorites. The food was so fresh and delicious. Looking forward to going there for dinner!

TRAVELING FOOL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chart House will now be an expansion of Skull Creek Boathouse and will be called Skull Creek Dockside Restaurant. The article says it will open in the summer and will be an entity onto itself with a play area for children & adults and an entertainment area. Here's the article: http://www.islandpacket.com/news/business/article124281489.html
So nice to hear the Boathouse is taking it over! One of my favorite places! It was so sad to see all the damage at the Chart House after Matthew.

TRAVELING FOOL

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite restaurants in Bluffton is the May River Grill. Great food and wonderful service! If you are heading to Beaufort, I'd recommend "Wren", in the Historic area. Trendy and great food as well!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We're back at Hilton Head this week, and will be visiting again in February.
(FYI, temp was 75 & sunny yesterday--- just gorgeous--- but cooler with "dense sea fog advisory" today, and highs will continue to vary wildly as we go through the
"off-season".....50s to 70s.)

While dining at Skull Creek last night, it was confirmed by management (see link to article in The Island Packet in a post above) that not only had the nextdoor restaurant Chart House not reopened after the hurricane, but the SERG Group has purchased Chart House (already a done deal), will be changing the name to Dockside, and will be adding it to their portfolio. Skull Creek and Chart House will share the waterfront in some manner other than just proximity. Chart House proper is already in the process of being gutted, and will undergo a complete transformation, to be ready for a grand opening in June.

There will be a tree house for kids, a large new patio/deck with stage, and the interior will have a completely new look. Based on the great success of SERG Group restaurants at Hilton Head, I'm very glad to hear this news, and I feel confident that it'll add another great place to go. Sad that Chart House didn't survive, as it was a nice place for many years, but the most recent edition (repeatedly under "new management") was disappointing---that's why it never made my list. The food was average but not great, and ditto for the service and ambiance. I've heard similar reviews for a long time. We dined there twice in 2015, in an effort to be fair, but never went back.

I was not at all surprised that it didn't reopen, as my suspicions all along were that it wouldn't last, and maybe that it was already teetering on failure. Another note: SERG Group restaurants usually have a 2-for-1 entree deal in Jan-Feb, but it's now changed to "buy one, get second entree for 50% off". Still a good deal. Skull Creek again did not disappoint (per our meal last night), and it remains atop my list as one of the best, if not THE best, casual seafood restaurants on HH Island. Happy Travels and bon appetit.

P.S.....my wife ran into our friend Pool Bar Jim (Jim Lisenby) earlier this week, and after a few hugs they talked a few minutes. He has something in the works here on the island, but being the humble and diplomatic guy that he is, wasn't more specific than that, and didn't offer anything as to the recent parting with Marriott.

Last edited:

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the upstairs bar at Poseidon was a favorite for drinks and appetizers/food the actual restaurant was a disappointment. The food was meh, and the service was similar. Loved the bar though.

Floras was still good. Pretty empty on a weekday, off season. Loved Sea Pines Coast both for bar and dinner. Honestly hadn't realized that the Sea Pines pass with Grande Ocean entitles me to enjoy this venue whenever I wanted. It is open to the public though, for anyone in the other resorts.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
While the upstairs bar at Poseidon was a favorite for drinks and appetizers/food the actual restaurant was a disappointment. The food was meh, and the service was similar. Loved the bar though.

Floras was still good. Pretty empty on a weekday, off season. Loved Sea Pines Coast both for bar and dinner. Honestly hadn't realized that the Sea Pines pass with Grande Ocean entitles me to enjoy this venue whenever I wanted. It is open to the public though, for anyone in the other resorts.

I agree with you about Poseidon....Go back and read my review (Post #164). Firstly, you might notice that I placed Poseidon a bit toward the end of my "fine dining" list which is a subtle hint, as my experiences there have been inconsistent (and I've heard the same over and over).....For me, Poseidon was good one time and mediocre 3 times, and that's not a stellar record! I also mentioned the average food and service, but I wanted to be fair since it's still a relatively new spot, and my hopes were that they would get things ironed out.

Being a SERG Group restaurant, my expectations have always been high. The restaurant itself is beautiful inside and appears to be a fantastic spot to hang out----the bar area is especially cool, with a great outside veranda experience. My hopes are still that it will "get there". We'll see. With the new Dockside (old Chart House) soon to arrive under the SERG banner, Poseidon won't be the new kid on the block, so they'll need to step it up.

You also mention Flora's---
yes it's good, some say very good..... but not great, imho. Ombra is far better, Michael Anthony's is better, and there are at least 3 more Italian restaurants which I think are superior. I personally like the Italian food at Frankie Bones better than at Flora's---I always try the same entrees at several places to compare, and Frankie Bones is very, very good.

I agree with you also about Coast----a delightful "new" place next door to Marriott's Monarch in the amazing Sea Pines Beach Club facility. The best lunch VIEW on the island is on the second floor open veranda (which has a few tables that overlook the huge deck, with entertainment sometimes happening) and overlooking the ocean beyond the dunes....gorgeous! Menu is somewhat limited, but still very good, and quite popular.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Need to get Susan to let me update my list officially by adding an "EDIT option", but until then please take note:
Adding today a fantastic "NEW FIND" restaurant. Just opened in September of last year, called Fishcamp on Broad Creek.
Had a group of ten which had an amazing dinner last night. It was formerly a local "club" for African-Americans years ago, but closed and went unoccupied for a long time. The new owners bought the property on Broad Creek (same side of water as Old Oyster Factory but "down the bank" closer to the bridge where the toll booth/Palmetto Pass Service Center on Cross Island Pkwy is located). Access from the island's southern end is via Marshland Rd exit ramp which winds around and goes by the toll booth service building, then a right turn onto Simmons Rd. It's right on the water, with an extraordinary view. Can't wait for Spring or Summertime to enjoy the inside/outside experience.

https://goo.gl/maps/wsg47G8oDU62

They gutted the building and poured a LOT of money into the new one.....beautiful "modern rustic" construction and decor, cool fixtures, great outside bar with big TVs, speakers, overhead heaters, a canvas/plastic "surround covering" to enclose for off-season. Inside dining area is not large but has about 9 booths and 6-8 tables. Outside dining available on deck, also with heaters. Drinks at large outside bar were excellent (and they spared no expense on the bar area), menu is quite large, varied, and well-thought out, and most of all, food was absolutely delicious. I had Parmesan Crusted Grouper, wife had fried shrimp (they were perfectly done), others had different items, and everybody said his/her meal was great. I loved everything but I'd return just for the crab cake starter and the Jalapeno hush puppies!

On first hearing the name "Fishcamp", it didn't exactly elicit a vision of grandeur, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. On arrival it became obvious that my preconceived notions were unfounded. It was beautiful but in a rustic & casual way. Not down-home country-looking as I expected, but "upscale rustic", if that does it justice. The service was exceptional as well, and as I watched other tables, I saw nothing but "great service". In addition, the manager spoke to every table and inquired about the meals.

An amazing "tell" about their commitment was that, for our group of ten, all of the drinks, starters, and entree orders were correct and delivered appropriately, and more noticeably, all the entree plates were delivered at the same time by several helpers, and all were delivered hot. Our table's orders took a few extra minutes to arrive, say 10 minutes, but it was not unreasonable or overly noticed given how busy it was. No complaint on that. I have to admit that at the risk of being impulsive, Fishcamp is therefore immediately one of my favorite restaurants, and will be added to the top of our family's "short list". The bartenders outside were great, the servers inside were great, the menus were great, the food was great, and the ambience was great. I love low-to-medium soft lighting, and that's what they have. And prices were reasonable for what we got---no complaints there--- all pretty much in the same range for the island. There might even be a dozen places that are more expensive. This will be advertised as a "seafood restaurant", but it is surely a notch above the typical touristy seafood spot.

Aside from us, just about every diner there was a local, so that might already speak to the type of destination it is. Although they do have a nice kid's menu, I don't think I could rightly say for 100% that it's going to be a great kid-friendly spot in the typical "beach destination" sense, but maybe that's just me---- and it's mainly because of the adult menu and atmosphere. I could be wrong but time will tell. But imho, it is definitely NOT an Old Oyster Factory, a Crazy Crab, or a Skull Creek, but instead a smaller more intimate spot. The vibe was fun and definitely energetic, perfect for a date, a gathering of friends, a special occasion, or just a great evening out for a nice seafood dinner.

Enjoy. You heard it HERE first. :thumbup:

http://www.fishcamphhi.com/

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Sounds like a great add to your list Marty.....thanks for the report....and for the continued sharing of your culinary experiences on and off the island.

After digging out from 17 inches of snow yesterday.... I certainly would rather be there than here!!!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I agree with you about Poseidon....Go back and read my review (Post #164). Firstly, you might notice that I placed Poseidon a bit toward the end of my "fine dining" list which is a subtle hint, as my experiences there have been inconsistent (and I've heard the same over and over).....For me, Poseidon was good one time and mediocre 3 times, and that's not a stellar record! I also mentioned the average food and service, but I wanted to be fair since it's still a relatively new spot, and my hopes were that they would get things ironed out.
We went to Poseidon in early 2015 when it was relatively new (so new that it had not yet been added to the SERG dining discount book). We were frankly disappointed and have not gone back. I want to give it another chance and we probably will, but my wife is less enthusiastic so we will probably have to wait until we are there for another multi-week stay.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Need to get Susan to let me update my list officially by adding an "EDIT option", but until then please take note:
Adding today a fantastic "NEW FIND" restaurant. Just opened in September of last year, called Fishcamp on Broad Creek. ...

I can only DREAM of having the power you think I have! Don't let the blinding tiara fool you - there's nothing I can do to change any of the "EDIT" rules that Brian and TUG Admin have implemented. ;)

I'm happy to either edit your list or add a link to your post above, let me know.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I can only DREAM of having the power you think I have! Don't let the blinding tiara fool you - there's nothing I can do to change any of the "EDIT" rules that Brian and TUG Admin have implemented. ;)

I'm happy to either edit your list or add a link to your post above, let me know.

Will do, thanks so much Susan......give me a couple of days to write it up and I'll send you the update. Currently I'm enjoying my stay at Grande Ocean with wife and friends and need some free time from my free time.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Will do, thanks so much Susan......give me a couple of days to write it up and I'll send you the update. Currently I'm enjoying my stay at Grande Ocean with wife and friends and need some free time from my free time.
So much time, so little time. It's a tough life, isn't it?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Need to get Susan to let me update my list officially by adding an "EDIT option",
I did propose a while back a Wiki type of feature on TUG that would allow users to edit Wiki type information for certain threads. This is a prime example of where the Wiki feature would be great. BTW, that proposal didn't go anywhere.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Use this link below for the updated 2017 Hilton Head Restaurant List

> Post #164.

(a few places added and another few tweaked,
plus old update is dated April 2016 but that is not correct,
it's February 2017)

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Use this link below for the updated 2017 Hilton Head Restaurant List

> Post #164.

(a few places added and another few tweaked,
plus old update is dated April 2016 but that is not correct,
it's February 2017)

Doh! Sorry, Marty, I missed the edit date but just changed it to today. Thanks again for all your work on this - it's appreciated by all of us who love HHI. :)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Did Dye's Gullah Fixins close?

Hilton Head location closed, but it has relocated to Ridgeland, SC, about 40 minutes away.

https://goo.gl/maps/bPMThCbausD2

scroll down to see:
http://dyesgullahfixins.com/

Ruby Lee's
on Hilton Head is about as close an experience as you'll find.

Ruby Lee's North......at 46 Old Wild Horse Rd.
Ruby Lee's South......19 Dunnagans Alley
http://www.rubylees.com/
https://goo.gl/maps/eJt7ZeEf5Qv

Be aware, however, as it has occasional mixed reviews. It's on my list because many like it, but with that caveat.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ws-Ruby_Lee_s-Hilton_Head_South_Carolina.html

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had lunch at Fishcamp and was impressed. Two meals at Hudson's and one at Skull Creek Boathouse. Hudson's was the best with Fishcamp second. Boathouse was fun, but not outstanding.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Ate tonight at the Jane Bistro in Shelter Cove. Nice setting, good food. Recommend.

http://janehhi.com/

Thx, Steve, I'll check it out. Menus look great.

The entire Town Center has really exceeded expectations for me, not only with cafes & food options, but also specialty shops, etc (like Kilwin's Ice Cream & Candy Shop and World of Beer) and with the larger retail stores.....not to mention Kroger's produce, deli, and wine departments, which are really outstanding. We find ourselves heading over there continually.

how about you?

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
Krogers is my favorite. Good store brands, sales, and coupons. Avoid it on Saturday afternoons during the season. Not especially keen on Poseidon. Like NY Pizza. Hate the look of the apartment complex that's going up on the marsh. At least they're covering up that dreadful looking parking garage.