• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui and a Molokai Trip

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Jeff, do you know if the guy with the small mac nut farm is still around? I can't remember where he was located, I think it was close to town. We got a very informal tour, then tasted some fresh roasted nuts. Heaven!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Jeff, do you know if the guy with the small mac nut farm is still around? I can't remember where he was located, I think it was close to town. We got a very informal tour, then tasted some fresh roasted nuts. Heaven!

Yep, still there, Purdy’s Macadamia Nut Farm. We didn’t hit that on this trip. We still have a lot of things to do. My wife want to try to be able to hike to Halawa Valley for that tour in May.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have such fond memories of our trip to Molokai. Not sure if I'll ever make it back though. None of the rest of the family was as enthralled with it as I was.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We stopped in Kaunakakai for the Saturday craft fair. We picked up a few things then hit Molokai Burger for a quick lunch before our Mokulele flight to Maui.

Pastrami Burger was the special and it was awesome.

1EEF863B-E326-4104-8A94-C76D4C2139D0.jpeg

We made it to Maui and now just a half hour before boarding. Maui to Chicago so it will be a long one but we have a short row with just two seats so just me and my wife. Then a short flight to Madison. We should be home at 10am on Sunday.

My wife just looked at her count down calendar and it said 90 days until we return so we can wait that long. :thumbup:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for taking us along on another fine journey. You have opened my eyes to the idea of visiting Molokai. It looks like the Hawaii I remember from my high school days, and the pace of things sounds perfect. Tell your Mrs. she's a lucky gal to have a keeper like you. You've done very, very well. Safe trip to your other home!

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Starting 18 months in advance I had planned a trip to Molokai for the fall of 2018. It was going to be 1 week Molokai and 2 weeks Maui. I had saved up DRI Points for this 3 week trip. We had invited a friend that had traveled with us before. Just before I made all the Reservation Patti was visiting our Friend. The Friend talked about having to decide what to do with her Aunt's WW II and after Navy Uniforms. Patti mentioned the WW II Museum in New Orleans. So they talked about that option. Patti then asked her if she rather go to New Orleans vice Hawaii. The friend said yes - she had never been to New Orleans. Patti came home and told me she had obligated us to New Orleans for the Fall of 2018. I swallowed hard, counted to 100. Then I explained to Patti that she was never to do that again. Our Friend could travel with us but she had no say in where we went. This was a sore point for a long time. I could only get 1 week in New Orleans with DRI Points. The other 2 weeks were Worldmark. But we had to lose or lose some DRI Points. This is now we ended up on Maui in August 2018. We still lost about 450 DRI Points. I had a good time for 3 weeks in New Orleans. How can you not have a good time in New Orleans. Also our Friend left after 2 weeks and we had the last week to ourselves. We did discover that that trip to New Orleans will probably be our last trip with the Friend. Not because of the redoing of my vacation plan. But in New Orleans we either walk or take the Street Cars. The Friend is 11 years older. We will walk 5 to over 10 miles a day on vacation. She was not able to keep up. Even Patti admitted that Friend's new pace/stamina was a big negative factor.

Because of other plans and factors it is going to be 2mor 3 years before we make it back to Hawaii. Tasmania and Ireland are calling.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Slip thanks for all your writings, pictures, and videos.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starting 18 months in advance I had planned a trip to Molokai for the fall of 2018. It was going to be 1 week Molokai and 2 weeks Maui. I had saved up DRI Points for this 3 week trip. We had invited a friend that had traveled with us before. Just before I made all the Reservation Patti was visiting our Friend. The Friend talked about having to decide what to do with her Aunt's WW II and after Navy Uniforms. Patti mentioned the WW II Museum in New Orleans. So they talked about that option. Patti then asked her if she rather go to New Orleans vice Hawaii. The friend said yes - she had never been to New Orleans. Patti came home and told me she had obligated us to New Orleans for the Fall of 2018. I swallowed hard, counted to 100. Then I explained to Patti that she was never to do that again. Our Friend could travel with us but she had no say in where we went. This was a sore point for a long time. I could only get 1 week in New Orleans with DRI Points. The other 2 weeks were Worldmark. But we had to lose or lose some DRI Points. This is now we ended up on Maui in August 2018. We still lost about 450 DRI Points. I had a good time for 3 weeks in New Orleans. How can you not have a good time in New Orleans. Also our Friend left after 2 weeks and we had the last week to ourselves. We did discover that that trip to New Orleans will probably be our last trip with the Friend. Not because of the redoing of my vacation plan. But in New Orleans we either walk or take the Street Cars. The Friend is 11 years older. We will walk 5 to over 10 miles a day on vacation. She was not able to keep up. Even Patti admitted that Friend's new pace/stamina was a big negative factor.

Because of other plans and factors it is going to be 2mor 3 years before we make it back to Hawaii. Tasmania and Ireland are calling.

To bad about your trip but at least you got to get to Maui. And you are correct, you can’t go wrong with New Orleans either but your also correct on the walking. You can walk for miles there.

We traveled with friends on this trip and there always seems to be something wrong with at least two of us but it never puts a damper on our fun.

We’re ready for some nicer weather on Molokai in May. I went in the pool but only my legs. I got another tattoo and it was earlier in the trip that I usually do. We did have more rain during this trip so it wasn’t great pool weather anyway.

Hopefully, you can plan again and still get to Molokai, it’s worth the trip. :thumbup:

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for taking us along on another fine journey. You have opened my eyes to the idea of visiting Molokai. It looks like the Hawaii I remember from my high school days, and the pace of things sounds perfect. Tell your Mrs. she's a lucky gal to have a keeper like you. You've done very, very well. Safe trip to your other home!

Dave

Oh, I know I’m the lucky on in this deal.:)

I have seen a lot of videos of all the islands from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s and it did look like a great time to be there. Molokai does remind me of some of that mostly the lack of traffic and a lot of people.

It’s funny, we ran into the same guy from Ohio, three days at three different places on the island. We talked a little each time. The last time he ended out asking me more questions about the island since he knew we were there before. He said he loved it there and was going to return. He even inquired about our condo so we gave him the information. It was funny though, we laughed each time we ran into one another, just like we wee old friends.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I get home I will post another video on our Mokulele flight. The weather was bad so we took another route and it added about 15 minutes to the flight. It was actually smoother than the first flight though but we were in the clouds almost the whole flight so we couldn’t see much.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The Friend talked about having to decide what to do with her Aunt's WW II and after Navy Uniforms. Patti mentioned the WW II Museum in New Orleans. So they talked about that option. Patti then asked her if she rather go to New Orleans vice Hawaii. The friend said yes - she had never been to New Orleans. Patti came home and told me she had obligated us to New Orleans for the Fall of 2018.

I'm sure there is more to the story, Tom, (and that's fine), but why did these old uniforms need to go to NOLA so urgently? Couldn't it keep for another year, to give you time to plan a trip there? They hadn't been used in so long, it seems another year wouldn't be too much to ask. And you could have saved your Hawaii plans. Glad you enjoyed the time there, but it's (obviously) a very different experience than Hawaii.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We’ll we did make it home. Very foggy and snow on the ground but temperatures were just over 40 degrees so we were happy about that.

Now to get caught up with everything here and at work. Should get caught up just in time for our return. My wife just reminded me that it will be in 89 days. :)

I definitely feel that pressure is off now about using my videos to make this purchase. She said there was only one thing that she showed different in person than on the video and that was a good thing. She said that we were much closer to the ocean than it showed in the videos. So definitely a good thing.

I am very happy the way everything turned out and when my wife said she didn’t want to go home with a tear in her eye, I knew we made a great decision. She told a ton of people on the island about our purchase and she asked a bunch of questions. Everyone was extremely nice and loved answering her questions. She learned a lot.

The next trip will be two weeks there with some warmer probably drier weather. There should even be a few less people also. No tattoo so we’re hitting the pool on that trip. I’ll post my arm when I get through some more pictures and videos. So I will have some more posts for this thread. :doh::)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Congrats on making it home safe, sorry it's dreary WI.:rolleyes: It was definitely pea soup out there yesterday!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, I had a few more food photos of our dinner at Hotel Molokai's Hiro's Restaurant. I had the whole Opakapaka and my wife had the Mahi Mahi.
Plus we had a great view of the sunset.:thumbup:

2019-02-01_18-13-00_105.jpg

2019-02-01_17-58-13_419.jpg

0C51499D-1D30-4753-8436-F4CC2C80F009.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh great. Now I'm hungry! :D

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They had two sizes of the Opakapaka. I had the one pounder for one. Then they had a two pounder for two. They ran out of the one pounder before we left. A few people saw mine and asked if they could have it without the head on. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I admit to liking Opakapaka quite a bit, but I'm not a fan of fish heads. (I think it's a Monty Python thing. ;) ) So I'd likely have asked for it to be beheaded before serving, too. (I'm the same way about lobster - I can do the tail just fine, but not served with the head. I have trouble eating something that looks like what it was when alive.)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s a video my wife did of our condo.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s part of my flight on Mokulele from Molokai (MKK) to Maui(OGG). The weather was really cloudy so we had to take a different route which added about 15 minutes onto the flight.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just going through my pictures and I had to post this one of my wife just enjoying being home watching tv.
AD46662D-7344-4B05-82B1-B7A74A6F9E44.jpeg

On Monday I did go to Righteous Ink Tattoo in Kaunakakai. I had checked out Sherron’s work online and he does amazing work and he is a great guy. I had a great time there and made a friend. I’m really thinking this maybe my last one but you never know. I originally wanted this to be the island of Molokai and show the mountain ranges but after talking to Sherron, he had some ideas for the the inside of the island so I just let him go with it. I never looked until it was all done. It turned out great and it’s amazing that he did it all in about two hours. It may be hard to see in this picture.
A49B8DC6-B117-4A81-BA42-264B79766ED2.jpeg

So when he finished he took a picture and posted it in his Business page. When we went to look at furniture the next day, we were there for quite a while. Then all of a sudden the lady we were working with asked if I knew Sherron. I said yes and I just saw him yesterday. She said she loved the tattoo and she saw it on his page. Then she showed me the roses that he had done for her.

Then at the Saturday craft fair, a couple of ladies commented on it. They said it gives off good mana for living on the island.

Then we were at the airport on Molokai and I went into the coffee shop there and the girl behind the counter recognized it from his page and said how she knows three people who want to get something similar now. It just goes to prove that it’s a small island and everybody knows everybody. :)

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have trouble eating something that looks like what it was when alive.
Note to self: Do not invite Dave to the pre-dinner lobster races across the kitchen floor when he comes for dinner in Maine. ;)

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still really enjoying this episode of House Hunters! :D I love the floors and what you have done with the place. I have never been to Molokai, but maybe the next time we make a trip to the Islands, we'll be sure to rent a week from you.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am still really enjoying this episode of House Hunters! :D I love the floors and what you have done with the place. I have never been to Molokai, but maybe the next time we make a trip to the Islands, we'll be sure to rent a week from you.

It’s worth a trip. It’s like stepping back in time.

I’ll post more pictures when the new sofa and chair comes. My wife Finally decided on them. They are ordered and coming from Maui. Sounds like they will be there next week. I am hoping the windows and lanai door will be installed before our trip in May but we’ll see. I paid for the pieces already so as long as the other two orders pay they will all get shipped out soon.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Note to self: Do not invite Dave to the pre-dinner lobster races across the kitchen floor when he comes for dinner in Maine. ;)

LOL! Yeah, uh, no. No judgment for others - I accept that it's my personal issue. And I have no idea why it bothers me so much. I can eat boneless chicken without a problem, but make me gnaw the meat off a chicken leg with the bone in it? Nope. I just can't do it. Seeing that roasted turkey carcass on the Thanksgiving table, and watching my Dad carve it apart with great pride just about killed me. Understand, I am not vegan or whatever - I'm definitely a carnivore. I just don't want to know that the animal I'm eating had bones that held its body upright at one point. Kill it, take the bones out, grind it up, or at least cut the head off, and cook it while I set the table for you. :D

Dave

(P.S. Having given it a lot of thought just now, I think it comes back to when I was eight years old and we lived on a suburban farm. We had chickens and rabbits that I took care of, and fed twice a day. They quickly became my adopted pets. When we moved to town, I was told they'd been given away to the neighbors. A month or so later, at the dinner table, the main course was something I'd never seen before. I asked my sister what kind of meat it was. With a stone-cold face, she said, "This is probably Charlie." I freaked out and ran from the table screaming. Charlie was my favorite rabbit. Childhood Trauma in the First Degree.)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
LOL! Yeah, uh, no. No judgment for others - I accept that it's my personal issue. And I have no idea why it bothers me so much. I can eat boneless chicken without a problem, but make me gnaw the meat off a chicken leg with the bone in it? Nope. I just can't do it. Seeing that roasted turkey carcass on the Thanksgiving table, and watching my Dad carve it apart with great pride just about killed me. Understand, I am not vegan or whatever - I'm definitely a carnivore. I just don't want to know that the animal I'm eating had bones that held its body upright at one point. Kill it, take the bones out, grind it up, or at least cut the head off, and cook it while I set the table for you. :D

Dave

(P.S. Having given it a lot of thought just now, I think it comes back to when I was eight years old and we lived on a suburban farm. We had chickens and rabbits that I took care of, and fed twice a day. They quickly became my adopted pets. When we moved to town, I was told they'd been given away to the neighbors. A month or so later, at the dinner table, the main course was something I'd never seen before. I asked my sister what kind of meat it was. With a stone-cold face, she said, "This is probably Charlie." I freaked out and ran from the table screaming. Charlie was my favorite rabbit. Childhood Trauma in the First Degree.)

I was laughing while reading your post (until Charlie). I have a niece that is the same way. Definitely a carnivore but that chicken, steak and pork chops had all better be boneless. She also says, I don't want to think about it!