• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
That’s great news!! Love HGVC! Welcome to Maui!

Best,

Greg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Sweet! This is awesome! I so happy they aren't just making everything bHC and giving us regular HGVC members great new places.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice location! I worry a bit about the man made beaches...but something is better than nothing!

Attachments

• MBV-SiteAerial_(002).jpg
    MBV-SiteAerial_(002).jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 119

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great. I've never been to Maui yet, so it's definitely on my list. I know it's just an artist rendering, but the "super pool" area looks amazing and the beach area looks fairly small. Since my kids seem to prefer pool to beach, it might work out fine for us. I just hope the beach doesn't feel too crowded, since my wife would still want to relax down there. Regardless, I'm thrilled that they finally got through the approval process!

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. We visit the GW about once a year and although they have a great pool, I spend most of time out in the ocean. It looks like this beach area will only be used by HGV guests, although all beaches in Hawaii are open to the public.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems kinda far away, but then again we stayed on Ka'anapali beach at the Marriott last time, which was an excellent location, albeit a tad far from the OGG airport. Kihei is closer (I think it took us almost 2 hours to drive from the OGG to Lahaina due to traffic).

But better than nothing since there's only one "decent" RCI option for us HGVC folks currently for Maui.

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate going to Ka'anapali because it's crowded. My sister lives in Lahaina, so we usually drive out there from Wailea twice each trip. The traffic is bad, but getting better. I really like the Kihei area. It's easy to get to, laid back and not as crowded.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
But better than nothing since there's only one "decent" RCI option for us HGVC folks currently for Maui.

Which resort are you referring to?

+1 I am very happy there is an HGVC option on Maui. We own at Westin Kaanapali and were considering buying another resale unit to extend our stays, but now we can stay here to extend our future WKORVN visits at a significantly lower MF than Westin/Marriott for similar quality. Plus Kihei will provide more island variety to the vacation.

I would much rather buy more HGVC points than add to our Vistana portfolio because I don't trust Marriott to not tinker with the StarOption system and devalue the benefits. Plus HGVC runs a tight ship so MF run about $1000 - $1500 lower than MVC/Westin - that can really add up over time.

Love the HGVC system and how it is expanding aggressively to add value to members (albeit at high point values) while MVC is mired in untangling the hairballs associated with the Vistana and Hyatt acquisitions.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
So, it looks like this is the same location that has been in play for years now, what used to be the Maui Lu resort. We'll be on Maui in March and will drive by that location numerous times. It will be interesting to see if there is any signage, or any indication of activity.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Luanne when you visit can you see if the property completely flat? or do you think the units in the back will be elevated on a hill with a view of the ocean?

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I started a poll back in August on where you would like HGVC to expand to. Maui/Kauai had the most votes while Barbados was right up there as well. HGVC seems to be doing a decent job of picking places that it's members would like to go. Now if we could just get some resorts in France, Whistler and the Bahamas, we would be all set!

Tug Poll

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great news! It has been discussed before, but seemed to go on hold.

Despite the crowds, I actually do like Ka'anapali- morning runs there (before the people show up :)) are great.

However, Kihei has both Sansei Sushi and Maui Brewing Company :)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
However, Kihei has both Sansei Sushi and Maui Brewing Company :)

Cheers.

Many years ago I recall there was a store in Kihei that sold some of the original Maui BBQ ribs. Never been back because of traffic from Lahaina. Don't know if it still exists, but would love to pick up some of those ribs and BBQ them at the resort. Yum!

Last edited:

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, it looks like this is the same location that has been in play for years now, what used to be the Maui Lu resort. We'll be on Maui in March and will drive by that location numerous times. It will be interesting to see if there is any signage, or any indication of activity.

Last week the property was surrounded with 8 ft chain link fence with the green privacy fabric attached. Some noise in the east part of the property appeared to be coming from excavating type equipment.

I like the way the 'artists rendering' really minimizes the road between the resort and the beachfront. You can't say they are hiding it altogether, as they even drew in two cars on the rd.

Shmiddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kingsland, Big Island
http://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2018/12/extension-okd-for-old-maui-lu-project/

I'll believe it when I see it - they've been saying there will be an HGVC resort on Maui for years. The Maui Lu site has been an empty lot for years and now they've been granted a seven year extension for construction - some quotes frpm the developer

"Well we know we can’t complete the project by February of 2020,” said Will Beaton, development manager and representative for project owner Kupono Partners. “It is virtually impossible, and we felt it would be irresponsible to come in later to request an extension when we know now that we need until 2027 to complete the project in three phases.”

The estimated opening date of the project’s first phase is December 2020. It would include four timeshare buildings with 131 units, as well as all the support buildings on site, including the clubhouse, pool, operations building, beach club and off-site improvements.

The second phase of four buildings with 149 units is expected to start construction in September 2022 and open by August 2024. The third phase of four buildings with 108 units is expected to start construction in November 2025 and open by July 2027.
Last rumor was that the Grand Wailea was going to be the site since it was sold to Blackstone - HGVC wanted a beach front resort and the Maui Lu site is not since it has the road in between. If you are buying in so that you can have access to a Maui property - think twice, no three times.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I’ll save my excitement for the day they actually begin selling Maui units, otherwise it’s still all talk.

I suspect this will be popular enough that if you really want to stay on Maui regularly, it will be best to own on Maui.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It sounds like this will develop slowly similar to Ocean Tower with only 131 units in phase I. These units will retail north of $100k so hope there will be plenty of availability for the rest of us until it gets sold out. :) At these prices, most buyers will finance so it could take many years before these get paid off and we see reasonable resale prices emerge.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Which resort are you referring to?

+1 I am very happy there is an HGVC option on Maui. We own an EOY at Westin Kaanapali and were considering buying another resale unit to extend our stays, but now we can stay here to extend our WKORVN visit for 2021 at a significantly lower MF than Westin/Marriott for similar quality. Plus Kihei will provide more island variety to the vacation.

I would much rather buy more HGVC points than add to our Vistana portfolio because I don't trust Marriott to not tinker with the StarOption system and devalue the benefits. Plus HGVC runs a tight ship so MF run about $1000 - $1500 lower than MVC/Westin - that can really add up over time.

Love the HGVC system and how it is expanding aggressively to add value to members (albeit at high point values) while MVC is mired in untangling the hairballs associated with the Vistana and Hyatt acquisitions.

I wouldn't count on a $1500 maintenance fee for a Maui location since the property tax per unit adds about a grand.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@Luanne when you visit can you see if the property completely flat? or do you think the units in the back will be elevated on a hill with a view of the ocean?
There is a slight elevation. I have no idea if that elevation will be kept or if they will level it off.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Last week the property was surrounded with 8 ft chain link fence with the green privacy fabric attached. Some noise in the east part of the property appeared to be coming from excavating type equipment.

I like the way the 'artists rendering' really minimizes the road between the resort and the beachfront. You can't say they are hiding it altogether, as they even drew in two cars on the rd.
The property has been surrounded with a fence for quite a few years, if my memory serves me correctly.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I wouldn't count on a $1500 maintenance fee for a Maui location since the property tax per unit adds about a grand.

I was referring to trading in with lower MF/club point Vegas property. :)

For owning in Hawaii, the MF for HGVC still run about $1000 to $1500 less in Hawaii on Oahu and BI. Kaanapali Westins and Marriotts run in the $2400 - $2900 for 2 bdrms. It is possible that Maui County will levy significant developer fees and tax the he** out of owners similar to the Kaanapali timeshares, since they have a history of being timeshare unfriendly.

Last edited: