• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui fixed vs float resale

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose it helps to be a bit anal and be reserving within a minute of the opportunity. I don't know, but wonder, how many that say they could not get what they wanted at 12 months (or 13) casually tried a few days after the window of opportunity opened.
Absolutely it helps to be proactive. I know some of the reports I’ve seen were from people who were well educated about timeshares and said they tried to reserve at minute one but you never know. I do know of other resorts were people are shut out he been at 13 months out.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Absolutely it helps to be proactive. I know some of the reports I’ve seen were from people who were well educated about timeshares and said they tried to reserve at minute one but you never know. I do know of other resorts were people are shut out he been at 13 months out.
I got shut out at Maui Ocean Club when I tried to book a Spring Break Week 13 months out -- I called right when the office opened (I even used the atomic clock and practiced) -- that's what caused me to sell my two floats and buy my current fixed weeks (10206/22-24).

I've never had a problem with Ko Olina - even called today and shifted my June 27 2020 reservation to a June 20 2020 reservation (for $40?). I do think the high demand weeks are going to be hit and miss....

Best,

Greg

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I got shut out at Maui Ocean Club when I tried to book a Spring Break Week 13 months out -- I called right when the office opened (I even used the atomic clock and practiced) -- that's what caused me to sell my two floats and buy my current fixed weeks (10206/22-24).

I've never had a problem with Ko Olina - even called today and shifted my June 27 2020 reservation to a June 20 2020 reservation (for $40?). I do think the high demand weeks are going to be hit and miss....

Best,

Greg
Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it? Were there floating rooms available? How many? How can we ever know?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Best,

Greg
I knew I'd seen reports over the years and seem to recall at least one fairly heated discussion about having difficulty reserving Maui and whether the 13 month requirement had to be for weeks ONLY owned there. After years of experience and a lot more vicarious data from TUG and elsewhere plus knowing myself, I've determined that I can get in to anything if I plan well and position myself well but I might have to make some compromises (dates, unit size, view type). I've also made the determination there are a few resorts that are just difficult to reserve and Maui is one of them. Plus many resorts have 1 to a few weeks that are difficult even at traditionally easier to reserve resorts/areas. Grande Ocean is the one I deal with the most that I have on my list as difficult at least for the weeks I tend to aim at (25-27). You took the approach to sell and buy fixed weeks of course that wasn't an option for MGO. I took the approach of buying more weeks and working the 13 month reservation option which has worked very well for me. I'd wonder if that approach wouldn't have been cheaper than selling and buying fixed weeks but obviously there are other benefits to the fixed weeks. By planning I can reserve most difficult options earlier than the 13 month window plus using a combination of owned weeks, II exchanges and DC points; I can't think of the last time I didn't get something that I wanted.

Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it? Were there floating rooms available? How many? How can we ever know?
You never now but I do have a few thoughts and experiences that play into that, I suspect others do as well. They only release half the inventory at 13 months and with others doing the same and those that might own many weeks getting the reservations a week or more ahead of you, that reduces the pool further. Then in spite of the points and floating aspect of reservations, each unit, at least where there are legacy weeks, has a designation with a start day and some of those are Thursday &/or Monday at a few resorts. Many resorts have weeks in the trust therefore those weeks won't be available to weeks owners. I know I've seen at least once where Grande Ocean did not release the inventory at 13 months, it was a few days later, not sure why. Remember there are many Advisors at MVC so when you're calling in to reserve and getting someone immediately, so are many others. Then it just becomes a race to see who can get something locked in first. I've had the experience as I'm sure others have, of the advisor saying something was available but when they went to book it, it was no longer there. That's why when I get to the 12 month window for DC points and want to wait list, I tell them not to search inventory, just to put in the wait list. Especially since they only allow a certain volume of wait list slots anyway.

WahooWah

Reaction score
I did not say that week 35 has a higher TDI than week 44 - I said they were the same. "September the hottest and most uncomfortable month of the year." Really? Is there a bad time to visit Maui? I just did a quick search...the average temperature difference on Maui... June thru October is 2 degrees F. The average humidity in August and September is less than October and November. I guess we will "suffer" swimming and snorkeling the last week of August.

I'm not entirely sure how Interval determines the Travel Demand Index but I would assume if there were "A LOT more visitors" in late October/November the TDI for those weeks would be A LOT higher...they are the same.

I guess time will tell if I got lucky or if Marriott is slowing down on ROFR.

The demand differences between September and November on Maui are quite significant. There is just less travel in September in general and by November, you have better temperatures, more surf, worse temperatures on the mainland to name a few reasons that make November higher in demand. Not to say the weather is bad in September as Maui has the best weather in the world. It's just that September is the hottest month, the surrounding ocean temperatures are at their warmest and there is less wind and weather in this month, which can make Lahaina and Ka'anapali in particular quite uncomfortable for many people. There is virtually no rain to wash off the heat and less wind to blow off the heat. Just ask the locals, they will tell you. I guess it is all relative to the weather that you are used to.

There are tons of Kama'aina deals that start in September and disappear by mid-October.

Here is a link that gives some evidence of what I'm claiming: https://www.hawaii-guide.com/maui/articles/maui_weather

Time has told us that Marriott exercising ROFR hasn't slowed down. It has been increasing.

I don't know what determines TDI either. I do know that fixed weeks in September are on average the lowest priced fixed weeks of the year on Maui. If you did in fact purchase a 2BR Ocean Front week 35 for $22,000, that would be case in point.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how Interval determines the Travel Demand Index but I would assume if there were "A LOT more visitors" in late October/November the TDI for those weeks would be A LOT higher...they are the same.
I think it helps to understand better how TDI works. While II does not release actual demand information, we do know that when it comes to TDI they tend to rate resorts in a community rather than individually. Basically it's a rough average and they don't adjust it much year to year other than things like Easter other holidays. RCI rates resorts more individually. When looking at demand I look at II's TDI, RCI's TPU, Condo rental rates for companies that actually publish a grid as well as points tables where applicable for Marriott, DVC, Bluegreen, RCI points and Wyndham. Marriott's rental rates for the latter time were 10% more suggesting that Marriott (not MVC) believes the demand for this property is higher later than Sept. Sept is a low month for almost everywhere I can think of, often the lowest (Aruba). The other month that tends to go that way is May before the holiday time.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I believe most of the horror stories I've heard about difficulty reserving MOC float weeks, even at 13 months, are in the February time frame, and maybe even specific to just President's Day.

When you say "Spring Break", how do you define that? Everyone seems to mean a different thing by Spring Break. I've seen it used to refer to 1) the week before Easter, 2) the week after Easter, 3) some random week in March or April, or 4) Presidents Day week.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I believe most of the horror stories I've heard about difficulty reserving MOC float weeks, even at 13 months, are in the February time frame, and maybe even specific to just President's Day.

When you say "Spring Break", how do you define that? Everyone seems to mean a different thing by Spring Break. I've seen it used to refer to 1) the week before Easter, 2) the week after Easter, 3) some random week in March or April, or 4) Presidents Day week.

I was trying to reserve the week before Easter and the week of Easter. I think Easter was the end of March that year.

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually the ones that I recall were more mid summer.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
JIMnNC>>
‘When you say "Spring Break", how do you define that? Everyone seems to mean a different thing by Spring Break. I've seen it used to refer to 1) the week before Easter, 2) the week after Easter, 3) some random week in March or April, or 4) Presidents Day week.’

All of the above, excepting President’s Week... :)

https://www.tripsavvy.com/when-is-spring-break-in-hawaii-3955160

taffy19

Reaction score

Best,

Greg
We are mostly there a few weeks before and after Easter week and children are out of school. Different States have different spring break dates so you need to check that.

Before the Destination Club, we had no trouble getting two weeks on a row by locking off our condo. After the Destination Club, we tried three years on a row and finally gave up and use the whole unit now instead.

We use one Lanai when it is windy and the other one when it is not. It can be very windy on the corner with the wind coming straight down from the mountain between the two buildings. I have seen the same complaint from other TUGgers too.

We really live on our Lanai when we are in Maui that time of the year. Don't try it in September, we noticed on the beautiful Lanai at the Marriott's Kauai Lagoons because there were no trade winds at all that week. We have been twice in September and both times it was hot and humid with no trade winds but that may change again other years.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
Hi All,

First post but longtime visitor. I have learned a ton from y'all and want to thank you for all the information I have gained over the years. I wanted to let y'all know what happened to the week 35 Lahaina OF selling for 22K. I just got notice that it passed ROFR!! I am very surprised because I had 3 previous Maui OF offers that I made the last couple months... 2 of 3 were taken by Marriott. The first offer I made was for a 3 bedroom OF, fixed week 44 on the second floor. Marriott took that by ROFR at 28K...no surprise. The next week was a 2 bedroom OF, fixed week 44 that I offered 30K. I really wanted this week because it was on the first floor. Unfortunately, they took that one too. Last month, I made a third offer on a fixed week 50 for 33K. Seller paid all closing costs and first use is 2019. For most people, week 50 is probably not a great week. However, my wife and I love Maui in November and December. Week 50 also happens to be our anniversary week so there was a ton of sentimental value. I will be able to enjoy every anniversary with my wife on Maui!! It is on the 11th floor.

I fully expected Marriott to take the week 35 Lahaina 2 bedroom OF. It was originally listed for 22K but I wanted to up the price a bit to help clear ROFR...I offered 23.5K. I am extremely surprised that it passed. I'm especially excited because it is the corner unit on the 12th floor.

So...my first two weeks were taken by ROFR and the next two weeks passed. I am wondering if Marriott is slowing down a little. If you have been on the fence, now might be a good time to make an offer. You never know, it might just pass ROFR..

This is exactly what I have been saying that ROFR is RANDOM where higher ones can get taken and cheaper ones getting through. I've experienced this numerous times and I don't let previous "exercising" of ROFR dictate what price I pay for a unit. Offer what you feel it is worth to you, not out of fear that they will exercise their option. If they take it, there will always be another coming down the line. It's not as if one will never come up again......

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
If they take it, there will always be another coming down the line. It's not as if one will never come up again......

This is true for many/most locations, but not all. When we were looking for our EOY Odd OV 2BR Maui Ocean Club, I could find very few listings. There were exactly three that met our requirements - one got sold quickly before I could respond, another the owner wouldn't negotiate below $9K, and the third was listed at $8K and available. I struck a deal for $8K because I was concerned MVC would take it at $7.5K. After I struck that deal, I kept looking at Redweek listings and Syed's listings, and it was like at least 9 months or a year before I saw another EOY Odd 2BR listed. The same can be said about some of the specific fixed week units in the new towers at MOC. Some inventory just doesn't come up much, so if you want it, you have to try to thread the ROFR needle.

In a second case, when we recently bought our EOY Odd IV Waiohai, the difference between the price my gut said would likely pass and the price where it might be iffy, was only about $500. In that case, it was worth paying the slightly higher price to try to get it through the first time and avoid having to renegotiate a new deal, do another round of contracts, etc. So it was worth being aware of ROFR odds to try to avoid a do-over.

Last edited:

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So it was worth being aware of ROFR odds to try to avoid a do-over.

To each their own, but as it has happened so many times, it is not consistent and you're banking on something that is a moving target. While we may "want" something, it is not a life or death situation that you need it this minute. Everyone's finances are different and while I can afford to pay more, I personally will choose to get the best price as I will enjoy the unit the same as you will at a higher price.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I think Jim is on target. While the logic of “there will usually be another one” is valid for float weeks, it definitely doesn’t apply to some rare floats and any Maui fixed week where you want/need a particularly week and unit. Granted, that’s a unique use case, but something that has to be considered.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Jim is on target. While the logic of “there will usually be another one” is valid for float weeks, it definitely doesn’t apply to some rare floats and any Maui fixed week where you want/need a particularly week and unit. Granted, that’s a unique use case, but something that has to be considered.

Is this a rare week ? Is this something that is a MUST HAVE OR I WON'T SURVIVE situation ? I own 5 fixed weeks 51/52 so I can say from experience, there will be another. If it is a particular unit on a particular week to match up with something you already have and you want that same unit, your assertion is valid. I don't think this was the case here. People are bidding against themselves in an effort to pass ROFR rather than concentrate on what the market is selling for and what they feel it is worth. If paying more makes you feel better, have at it, but it is not necessary to accomplish the task.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Is this a rare week ? Is this something that is a MUST HAVE OR I WON'T SURVIVE situation ? I own 5 fixed weeks 51/52 so I can say from experience, there will be another. If it is a particular unit on a particular week to match up with something you already have and you want that same unit, your assertion is valid. I don't think this was the case here. People are bidding against themselves in an effort to pass ROFR rather than concentrate on what the market is selling for and what they feel it is worth. If paying more makes you feel better, have at it, but it is not necessary to accomplish the task.

I think the question is how much more are you really paying? In both Hawaii cases I mentioned, the minimum "market price" (meaning the minimum price you could reasonably find a willing seller to sell for) was probably within $250 to $750 of the price that I felt would increase my chances of getting the deal through ROFR the first time, so it was a no brainer to me to pay marginally more (5% to 8%) to avoid a do over. Additionally, I was trying to get the Maui Ocean Club week bought and closed in time to book a stay for Feb/Mar 2019, so time was somewhat of the essence. By being able to use our ownership for that 2019 Maui week, I saved way more than any small premium I paid to get the deal done when compared to a rental for that same week.

And no timeshare is a "MUST HAVE OR I WON'T SURVIVE" situation. These are all wants, not needs, and while I want a fair price, I don't think I always have to negotiate the absolute lowest price.