• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui/Kaanapali Bound

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Man, I am sooo jones'ing for some pork, some poke and some mac-pancakes.

You guys are killing me.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We went to Slappy Cakes, which is by the Times Supermarket. I liked it, but Rick does not like buying breakfast. He was a cook at Village Inn pancake house for a couple of years, during his teens, and he says breakfast is just too easy and cheap to make. So he cooks breakfast every day, since he retired, and he takes an electric griddle with us for those pancakes. I know it's strange. We check two suitcases.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
:pHey, I bring a pineapple spiral cutter....and a wine aerator.

It's the little things.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Star Noodle is our go-to when staying in Ka’anapali or Lahaina. You’ll want a reservation though.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Another good place is CJ's Diner just up the hill from the entrance to Kaanapali:
http://www.cjsmaui.com

CJ's Diner/Deli is also great for a "Road to Hana" lunch. Go have breakfast at CJ's and order a sandwich for your lunch if you are driving yourself on the Road to Hana. For around $10 each, they pack a great sandwich, condiments, a canned drink, a bag of chips, a pickle and sliced pineapple. You pay $10 for deposit on a styrofoam cooler and they pack it with ice and your lunches. Bring the cooler back and they give you $10.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
CJ's Diner/Deli is also great for a "Road to Hana" lunch. Go have breakfast at CJ's and order a sandwich for your lunch if you are driving yourself on the Road to Hana. For around $10 each, they pack a great sandwich, condiments, a canned drink, a bag of chips, a pickle and sliced pineapple. You pay $10 for deposit on a styrofoam cooler and they pack it with ice and your lunches. Bring the cooler back and they give you $10.
Nice one!

taffy19

Reaction score
Love reading this thread. Have a great time.

My husband is prone to get seasick too but never yet in Hawaii and we have gone on Catamarans from the beach and smaller and longer rafts or Zodiacs or motor boats but never in too rough a weather except once that came up suddenly and we had to go back.

Visibility underwater disappeared completely and we had to skip our second snorkel at Turtle Town but they let us repeat it. It stopped first at the Molokini Crater which I was disappointed in. You can snorkel just as well from some beaches closer to you if you don’t want to chance it.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We arrived at KBC late last night. After about 2.5 hours of sleep we were up and heading to Haleakala. It was absolutely gorgeous - cold yes but we were ready for that. Yesterday it was very rainy up on top. We spent an hour or two up on top after complete sunrise eating breakfast (we brought with us the Safeway near KBC is being remodeled and now open 24 hours), walking around, just enjoying the fantastic views. Then to Costco, a short stop at Safeway, then back to the Condo for lunch and a rest.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I would highly recommend Aloha Mixed Plate on the Kaanapali end of Front Street. Very casual outdoor seating with great local food. They remodeled last year, so we are looking forward to going there this fall. Sounds like you don’t mind rising early, so try breakfast at The Gazebo. Great breakfast including Macadamia Nut Pancakes, but you need to get there before they open. Right on the water with a beautiful view. There are many more, but those two come to mind first.

Have a great time.

Mike

Just so everyone knows if you get to the Gazebo late there is a restaurant on the other side of the beach from there call the sea House. Just as good and a great view. No wait either. We were disappointed this visit of Gazebo because we got there at 7 am and it was already 50 people deep. It opens at 7:30 am. We were seated at 9:30 am. The food wasn’t worth the wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
We did find the store in Lahaina that sells the Mokka Coffee. It is near the smoke stack. We bought some for ourselves and some as gifts for friends. We returned to Haleakala yesterday afternoon. We took a short nap to get slightly adjusted to the altitude. Then we set off on a hike down into the Cauldera that is technically not a Cauldera but a valley with numerous cinder cones because Haleakala is a Shield Volcano. We hiked down for about 1.5 miles but several thousand feet in altitude. Had a rest and a snack. Then start back up. Then trip up took about twice as long with many short breaks. On the way back up we talked to a young local couple. They had left at 7:30am and hiked all the way across (10miles) and after 10 hours they were almost done. We parked our car in a beautiful spot to watch sunset and ate our picnic dinner. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and there were numerous large solid clouds to the west. It was gorgeous to watch and the colour changes in the clouds but we did not get to see the Sun descend into the ocean.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Our first week was at KBC. We missed a full kitchen and laundry in the room. But enjoyed the AC. This week we are at Hono Koa. No AC but full kitchen and laundry. Last Wednesday we were scheduled to go to Lanai for snorkeling and picnic on the Beach. It was on a RIB/Zodiac type boat. We got out into the main Channel and the Skipper turned around. Hurricane Hector that was 150 miles South was already having a major effect on the winds and waves. The Skipper figured while we would make it to Lanai our trip back in the afternoon was very questionable. We are rescheduled for this Wednesday. Hurricane Hector had a major effect on the local weather for several days - rain, winds, and humidity.

We did go to Mama's Fishhouse for lunch last week. Lunch included an appetizer, drink, and main course for each. The location is right out of the South Pacific. It was a wonderful meal and 2 hours later we walked out about $230 (including tip) lighter.

Today is a day of rest. We got back too late last night to use the hot tub and pool. Tonight we go to the General Store in Haliimaile for dinner.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sounds like you're having a great trip. Keep it up!

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What unit # are you in at Hono Koa? We own at Hono Koa, so I am curious. We own in the Koa units, specifically we stay in 201,301,401 only. 101 is also Koa, but it's Wednesday check-in, so we avoid Wednesdays. We love that oceanfront view.

The kitchens at Hono Koa are really equipped well. The back bedrooms off the hallway are very warm. The master bedrooms tend to be very comfortable for sleeping. Love the showers.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:pHey, I bring a pineapple spiral cutter....and a wine aerator.

It's the little things.
We bring a sharp knife and a Pampered Chef pineapple cutter, which is the best we have ever used.

We will arrive on Maui in one week. Here we come, Kahana Beach, my RCI exchange, which is guaranteed oceanfront. So excited to stay there again.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the updates. Mama's at $230. Ouch.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We bring a sharp knife and a Pampered Chef pineapple cutter, which is the best we have ever used.

We will arrive on Maui in one week. Here we come, Kahana Beach, my RCI exchange, which is guaranteed oceanfront. So excited to stay there again.

I love my P cutters. I'll look for the P'amp chef model.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
What unit # are you in at Hono Koa? We own at Hono Koa, so I am curious. We own in the Koa units, specifically we stay in 201,301,401 only. 101 is also Koa, but it's Wednesday check-in, so we avoid Wednesdays. We love that oceanfront view.

The kitchens at Hono Koa are really equipped well. The back bedrooms off the hallway are very warm. The master bedrooms tend to be very comfortable for sleeping. Love the showers.

We are in 303. We did notice that those A.C. Units that have a large hose that goes to a Window have been added to 1 or 2 of the units. We got here through Club Select/Club Combination through DRI. Which means the Owner at Hono Koa is also a DRI Owner and they trade a week here for 10,000 DRI 1 time use points.

We like the kitchen, washer/dryer, and size of the Unit just wish it had AC.

Don't know when you were last here. The lawn by the ocean and sunbathing platform have been shut down because of sinkage of the grounds. Wonder when the HOA is going to fix it?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the updates. Mama's at $230. Ouch.

And it was lunch! Mama's makes the price of a Manhattan lunch look reasonable.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in 303. We did notice that those A.C. Units that have a large hose that goes to a Window have been added to 1 or 2 of the units. We got here through Club Select/Club Combination through DRI. Which means the Owner at Hono Koa is also a DRI Owner and they trade a week here for 10,000 DRI 1 time use points.

We like the kitchen, washer/dryer, and size of the Unit just wish it had AC.

Don't know when you were last here. The lawn by the ocean and sunbathing platform have been shut down because of sinkage of the grounds. Wonder when the HOA is going to fix it?

#303 is a Hala unit. That's a great view from that one.

Yes, AC would be nice in the afternoons. Sorry about the heat because it can be warm in summer. But AC isn't going to happen with the units. The office has AC. That's #107. You can stop in and say hello to Donna and cool off a bit. She will agree with you that the units need AC, but she knows it ain't going to happen. The units used to have AC, which is why there is that strange looking plug in the master bedroom on the outside wall.

Our lanais get major sun because the Koa units face directly west, which is great for the sunsets, not so great for the heat. We close all of the blinds in the afternoon and vacate until it gets close to sunset.

There is a huge sinkhole from the erosion of the beach. We have a $1,000 per-week-owned special assessment, payable $100 per year for ten years. Work is supposed to start very soon. The HOA BOD made an executive decision to get it done.

I am okay with the SA because it's much needed work. Beach erosion is affecting most of the condos and resorts along Lower Honoapiilani Road. Sands of Kahana has sandbags to keep the water from protruding in areas where they don't want the water. We will see how that looks next Monday.

So the new sea wall will be 15 feet back from the current one. It will be interesting to see how it looks when it is done. I picture our lanai even closer to the water, but Rick says they may leave a lot of dirt there, so maybe it won't look much different. I cannot picture what he is talking about.

The lanai floors and railings were replaced during our trip in late Feb-early March. The grassy area in front was blocked then, as was the deck by the water. It was really dangerous, and I am glad no one got hurt.

Our friends bought at Hale Ono Loa next door, unit on the end of the 2nd floor, closest to Hono Koa. Anyway, their HOA blames Hono Koa for their erosion issues. They say it is our fault. They own a week at Hono Koa and were pretty surprised at the vitriol. But seriously, the problem is the entire coastline. It's funny to hear the governor talk about it because it's really not his problem, and he said it's a temporary situation. The ocean will change and the erosion will end at some point.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And it was lunch! Mama's makes the price of a Manhattan lunch look reasonable.
I agree. I have been there twice, both times with a gift certificate from a well-meaning relative. Pretty place, but too much money. Give me Paia Fish Market any day.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I agree. I have been there twice, both times with a gift certificate from a well-meaning relative. Pretty place, but too much money. Give me Paia Fish Market any day.

I think we've been there four times. Each time was with someone who had never been and they thought they had to go. When we're by ourselves and want to splurge we go to Merriman's. Yes not quite the view but the food is just as good and it is slightly less expensive. And when we are staying in the Ka'anapali area I much prefer the 12-minute drive to/from Merriman's than the 1-hour drive to Mama's and the 45-minute return drive.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Yea, I think you can do happy hour at Merrimans...take a nice walk or go see dragon's teeth and come back for dinner ressie......and still spend less. We love Merrimans too.

Of course, the best dinner is made with our own hands, shared with the ones we love, and finished with a coffee or schnapps on the lanai watching Moana.....

edit: moana or 'the sea' to be more precise. ;)

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yea, I think you can do happy hour at Merrimans...take a nice walk or go see dragon's teeth and come back for dinner ressie......and still spend less. We love Merrimans too.

Of course, the best dinner is made with our own hands, shared with the ones we love, and finished with a coffee or schnapps on the lanai watching Moana.....
Watching Moana? Do you have little ones? Our granddaughter's favorite movie, by far! She is almost four.