• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui police ID father who died rescuing daughter at Olivine Pools on Maui

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Maui police ID father who died rescuing daughter at popular tourist spot on Maui

Maui police have identified the 46-year-old Montana man who died Tuesday afternoon after rescuing his daughter as Brian Lazorishak.

At 12:37 p.m. Maui first responders received reports of two people being swept into the ocean by a wave at the Olivine Pools in Kahakuloa.

Bystanders said that Lazorishak jumped into the ocean after his 15-year-old daughter — who was standing at the water's edge — was knocked into the ocean by a large wave.

Lazorishak was able to get his daughter back onto the rocky cliff, and people nearby used a makeshift towel rope to pull her up safely. But witnesses say that when they looked back for the man, he was floating face down.

At 12:58 p.m. Maui firefighters and lifeguards arrived to find him unresponsive in the water, airlifted him to Kahekili Highway, and began performing CPR.

Paramedics arrived soon after and began more advanced life-saving techniques to no avail. Lazorishak died at the scene.

His daughter, who had non-life-threatening injuries, was released to family members nearby.

This is the 16th water-related death this year.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So sad. But, I'm sure he died in peace knowing his daughter was safe.

Clearly, not the first death and probably not the last.

A lesson for us all: tremendous beauty and tremendous power to be admired and respected (feared)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sad to die in paradise. Reminds me of snorkeling with DS and his daughter on Maui. I got into a coughing fit and couldn't get my breath. I thought it was the end, as I had exhaled- or coughed out all the air than made me buoyant. Fortunately I came upon a coral head that I could stand on (I know you're not supposed to do this) long enough to get my breath and proceed to the beach. This was the last time I snorkeled. It REALLY would have been the last time if I hadn't come across that coral!

The takeaway here- If you are with another swimmer in the sea- REALLY be WITH THEM, not distracted by the beauty of the place or other things.

Jim

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some years back, we were staying at Ka'anapali Beach Club and did the entire Hana loop, with a stop off at the Seven Sacred Pools. About an hour after we were there, a flash flood struck and washed a boy out to sea. The father dove into the ocean to try to save him. IIRC, both of them drowned. They had also been staying at KBC. :(

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That is very sad. I have hiked to the pools but didn't swim. It looked dangerous to me.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That is very sad. I have hiked to the pools but didn't swim. It looked dangerous to me.
We were doing the tour with DW's cousin and her husband, who were living on Maui at the time. When we were at the Pools, they mentioned to listen for the sound of bongo drums in the distance, because that is the sound of a flash flood as it comes down the slopes of Haleakala. We didn't hear anything like that when we were there, and by the time the flash flood hit we would have been too far away to have heard them.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Many people, mostly tourist I bet, drown in Hawaii. A large part of my friends family drowned snorkeling sea caves in Maui. The daughter and mother were getting sucked in and the dad and brother went after them. They all drowned. I bet more tourist die or get injured in Hawaii than in any other tourist destination, mostly from water activities.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Many people, mostly tourist I bet, drown in Hawaii. A large part of my friends family drowned snorkeling sea caves in Maui. The daughter and mother were getting sucked in and the dad and brother went after them. They all drowned. I bet more tourist die or get injured in Hawaii than in any other tourist destination, mostly from water activities.

Bill
Yeah - I was wondering about how tourist deaths due to drowning in Hawaii compared with all types of tourist deaths in Mexico.

FWIW - one of my sons was assaulted on a beach on Kauii when he and his companions ventured into an area where haoles were not allowed.

Kapolei

Reaction score

FWIW - one of my sons was assaulted on a beach on Kauii when he and his companions ventured into an area where haoles were not allowed.

I have never heard of such a place. Could you share more details. Location, time of day, circumstances. Thanks.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not unallowed as a matter of law.

He and a group of friends (on Kauai doing a Habitat for Humanity project) were on Anahola Beach near sunset. A group of people approached them and made them very unwelcome, letting them know that haoles were not welcome there. Some of the people in his group stood their ground, and some fisticuffs ensured. The rest of my son's group decided it wasn't worth it, and decamped.

When they contacted the police, the police took a report - but the police were only interested in getting information to fill out the report and didn't bother to ask about significant information. Such as how many people were in the group, physical descriptions, etc.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Engaging thugs on a beach, no matter who they are, is not normally recommended. Doesn’t sound like those that “stood their ground” were exhibiting leadership skills. Was anybody drinking?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Engaging thugs on a beach, no matter who they are, is not normally recommended. Doesn’t sound like those that “stood their ground” were exhibiting leadership skills. Was anybody drinking?
No one in my son's group had been drinking.

A bit more background - by way of explanation and not of justification. Anaahola Beach abuts an area that is designated as Hawaiian Home Lands. There are some who then try to discourage/prevent haoles from frequenting Anahola so it can be a "Native" beach. My son's group apparently encountered one such group.

Kapolei

Reaction score
No one in my son's group had been drinking.

A bit more background - by way of explanation and not of justification. Anaahola Beach abuts an area that is designated as Hawaiian Home Lands. There are some who then try to discourage/prevent haoles from frequenting Anahola so it can be a "Native" beach. My son's group apparently encountered one such group.

Understood. I could be wrong. But I doubt those people on the beach were duly elected to represent anyone. And your son’s group may have been in sober, but you can never be sure of the strangers.

Thanks for sharing the information. It may help others who encounter ghetto behavior. Most situations in Hawaii can be de-escalated by the adults on all sides. However, if in a strange place, you can never assume people you are dealing with are sane and sober.

On a more positive note, we should all be glad that the Hawaiian spirit is alive and well.

Last edited:

Greatdeal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. Tourists should always remember that Hawaiian Natives have sacraficed thier sacred land and life since becoming the 50th. They are the very best people and have beautiful hearts and souls. Respecting that you are "visiting" and they are "living" there is my motto.(especially if you are a group of young boys/teens/millenial kids in an already tense environment. I also agree that "Most situations in Hawaii can be de-escalated by the "adults" on all sides. It only takes one to chat the wrong chit and set something off. It's a rare opportunity for most to visit paradise. Leave attitudes and egos at home.