TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Mayan Palace, need explanation

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by kwinky, Oct 12, 2017.

1. kwinky

kwinky Guest

Some years ago, my parents bought a week or two at the Mayan in Mazatlan. I say or two because I think they can have a week in a two bedroom or two weeks in a single. They also have a deal that only requires paying maintenance when they use it, plus a bonus week for free as long as one of them is present. I do think they are on a 10 year refurb fee schedule. Anyway, due to age, they might not ever go back to Mexico and the ownership has been a sore point for them, I think because of the refurb cost. They haven't ever banked a week and traded for something closer to home, but their RCI membership is current.

The question I'm trying to help with is what to do now. I have time of my own in Mazatlan at Pueblo Bonito and understand their program, but don't know much about the Mayan. Is it correct that they have different levels? I think Mazatlan only has the Palace, no lux or bliss? Possibilities now would be for me take it over, for them to rent their week, or try and sell it. I will be in Mazatlan myself in two weeks. They probably won't talk to me without my parents there. I'm looking for options and advice at this point.

2. rpennisi

rpennisi Guest

Vidanta in Mazatlan has only the two "lowest" levels, Mayan Palace and Sea Garden (or Ocean Breeze). The location is between the Pueblo Bonito in town and the PB at Emerald Bay.
    As a MP owner, I would rather stay at either PB in town or Emerald Bay, due to location and the wonderful complimentary bus service that PB offers. And Emerald Bay is beautiful.

Is their contract one of the old 25 year deals, or the newer 10 year ones? If it is the latter, they could let their ownership lapse at the end of the 10 years and be done with it without the refurb fee which might be the fee to get another 10 years.

If you have access to their contract, read it very carefully before your trip. The contract should spell out the terms of their responsibilities.

You might want to use some of their week(s) deposited into RCI to get more weeks at PB when you go in the future. With the MF of MP fairly low, trades with RCI would get you weeks at PB probably way below your MF cost.

3. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    I'm not a big fan of Mayan Palace in Mazatlan even though the units are nice. No balcony, tiny mini kitchen and age of the buildings are turn offs for me. The Mayan Palace in Mazatlan is the tower farthest away from the pools and ocean. The views are good if you get ocean view on an upper floor but only about 1/3 of the rooms have a good ocean view. It might as well be a hotel next to a resort because you have to walk to the resort for restaurants, pools and beach.

If it were Grand Mayan then I might think about keeping it. The best thing to do on this one is to use it if you want and let it go with your parents passing, imo. I wouldn't even bother to pay the mf or refurb fee unless you plan to use it.

There are other Mayan Palace locations besides Mazatlan. I can tell you the property on near Playa del Carmen has no view and the property in Nuevo Vallarta is small. Neither share in the amenities of the other resorts on property such as the pools.

Bill

4. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    If you decide to keep - It can transfer to family for no transfer fee with all benefits
    ( otherwise likely 5x MF tranfer fee & NO TRANSFER of MF on use only & VF week )

You can stay at all Mayan Palace & Sea Garden locations .

Puerto Vallarta - Marina - MP
    Nuevo Vallarta - MP & SG
    Riviera Maya - MP
    Acapulco - MP playa & MP golf & SG
    Mazatlan - MP & SG
    Puerto Penasco - MP

I have a similar contract - bought in 2006 - ie MF on use only ( after first 5 years ) and Vacation Fare (bonus week - )
    It is a 25 year contract. 6 month ARP ( VF week ARP is 45 days Feb / March - 6 months otherwise )

You can book into following year ( ie August 1 - you can book Presidents week
    reno fee every 5 years ( extra MF ) Our current MF for a one bedroom suite (2017 week used for Feb 2018 ) is $ approx $715

Vidanta moved to 10 year renewals in 2011 /2012 I believe .( a lower renewal $ than the 25 year ones that are 5 x current MF < about the same prorated >)
    they also tended to give 2 bonus weeks with no ARP in the 10 year contracts .

If you want to try it out - next August 1 - I would call reservations at 8 am and book Presidents Week at the
    Mayan Palace PV - Marina location .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  5. pittle

pittle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
    With a Mayan Palace membership, you can use your week in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Acapulco, Mayan Riviera near Playa Del Carmen, and Puerto Penasco. The cost is the same regardless of where you go. With a MP week, you can downgrade to one of the Sea Gardens - Mazatlan, Nuevo, and Acapulco. Some contracts allow you to get a reduced MF or smaller units in the Sea Garden units.

When we first bought in 1999, we bought a traded in 2-bedroom Sea Garden and could use a 1-bedroom Mayan Palace instead for the same price. Once we upgraded to Mayan Palace, we did not have a similar option of using a 2-bedroom MP for a 1-bedroom Grand Mayan. Generally though, if you own a 2-bedroom unit, you can split it into one week in the 1-bedroom side and 1 week in the Hotel room side (lock-out). That is true at all levels because we can split our Grand Luxxe into 2 weeks - 1 week in the 1-bedroom side and one week in the Studio side. Most contracts come with an extra week that used to be called Vacation Fair. Now they call them residence weeks. These can be used as an extra week by paying the MF and some weeks (Feb-Mar-Apr) are not available.

The bonus week if one is present sounds more like the Senior Certificate, but with a Senior Certificate also means that you do not pay MF for your regular weeks - if you use the "bonus" weeks, you pay. That is how it was originally set up. If you have this option, and are over 77, you do not pay your regular Maintenance Fees at all, you just make reservations. You MUST be there to use it. It is not transferable to kids. They would only have this if they owned before November 30, 2006 and went to the Customer Service Office and signed up before November 20, 2009.

The 10 year contracts started less than 10 years ago. Before that, there was always a 5-year renovation fee that was equal to a current maintenance fee. If they upgraded after receiving the Sr. Cert, they might have the 10 year renewal. IF you do not pay it, they no longer own it and do not get any money back.

6. kwinky

kwinky Guest

So it sounds like the Mazatlan Mayan Palace doesn't have a lot of appeal, as far as renting out a week? I was there with my parents 3 1/2 years ago. We stayed in the MP for a couple of nights and then moved to the PB Emerald bay. I thought the unit we were in at the MP was very nice, but the resort didn't have much buzz. Bottom line is my wife and own PB, as do my parents, and I'm just trying to get a feel for the Mayan situation. I know they paid a lot of money for it and the idea of letting it go will take some effort on my part. What does it cost to upgrade from Mayan Palace?

7. pittle

pittle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Cost varies depending on what you upgrade for - there is Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss, and several levels of Grand Luxxe that are upgrades from Mayan Palace.

BUT, you can pay the MF and book a week at any of the other resorts and rent that week. I would suggest booking at MP Puerto Vallarta because of the location. It is just off the Marina and folks can snag a bus to downtown or just walk around the Marina where there are lots of restaurants. Nuevo Vallarta and Riviera Maya are also very popular - there are quite a few MP units at Riviera Maya and quite a few in Acapulco too. Chances are that their "home" resort is not Mazatlan.

All is not lost - Mayan Palace is a good resort group. it exchanges well too. When you tell them to deposit a week, they can deposit a week at any of the resorts because they do bulk space banking. We have used RCI and SFX for Mayan Palace deposits and gotten some great exchanges.

8. pianoetudes

pianoetudes TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
    I have stayed at MP Puerto Vallarta Marina. Several restaurants in Marina is only 10 minutes walk. Public bus is 7 peso to downtown PV. This small resort is very popular in winter time.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

9. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    Shsh - MP -PV -Marina (200 or so units) might be the toughest Vidanta to get at the 6 month ARP window . Call early am Aug 1 - for Feb weeks .
    I think that is why Vidanta has a Grand Bliss sales model on the marina side & plans to build on the empty lot were there was once a Sea Garden .

Since the OP understands timeshares and can transfer the parents contract for free it could be worthwhile for this location .
    If the big resort experience is wanted = it would also work for MP Nuevo Vallarta and thereby avoid the $11 pp/pd exchanger charges at that location and the Riviera Maya location .

pittle likes this.
  10. MuranoJo

MuranoJo TUG Member

Sssshhh is right! My first and my favorite.
    But most people won't like it cause it's just MP now, and small, and fairly humble. Not at all like the wonderful NV where most visitors will likely find a true 'resort' feel. :cool:

pittle likes this.
  11. pittle

pittle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Acapulco was our first MP and we love it - the long stretch of beach and large Palapas are great. We are not so crazy about the city though. We tend to go there as a destination resort. We have done the various tours, and now just go and enjoy the resort. We have gone there many times and several times for an entire month. :) They have renovated the main pool and built a new tower overlooking it. They also have a really nice MP on the golf course with a lazy river. Vidanta has done a great job of keeping this resort up to date.