• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace

Torri

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
does anyone know how to add a family member to an existing membership
We own a 2 week Grand Luxxe and my brother owns a 2 week 1 bedroom unit with the Mayan Palace. He does not use it anymore and we use all our weeks. They told us if he sells it then he must pay 10 times maintenance so he wants to put our name on his contact
Is this possible as they would not talk to us about it when we were there last week
I am brand new to your website so not sure if I am posting correctly

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We own a 2 week Grand Luxxe and my brother owns a 2 week 1 bedroom unit with the Mayan Palace. He does not use it anymore and we use all our weeks. They told us if he sells it then he must pay 10 times maintenance so he wants to put our name on his contact
Is this possible as they would not talk to us about it when we were there last week

You are in the right place .

Contact Vidanta Member Services in Nuevo Vallarta .
They are open Mon - Fri / best to call around 10am / while the sales presentations are happening .
They get busy in the afternoon . PS - They can email him a pdf copy of his contract if he needs one .

All Vidanta contracts can be transferred to immediate family - children , grandchildren
( that is part of the 100 year concept ) and there is no transfer cost ( 0 $ )

I am not sure about siblings

However - I believe you can be added to his contract at no cost .

Vidanta / Mayan wanted to eliminate ebay sales and so they instituted higher transfer cost on resale about 2005. It has worked for them.

PS - MF on use only & bonus weeks / Vacation Fare Weeks transfer to family
but not to open market resale .

Last edited:

Jan S

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told in January 2019 during our last visit that we had to call the Member Services at the resort we bought into. For example our contract starts with the letter "I" which means we bought in Riviera Maya. In order to add our children to our contract we had to get the paperwork from Riviera Maya. The contract automatically goes to your children however in Mexico if the kids names are not on the contract then the timeshare will be held up in Mexico's equivalent of Probate Court until the transfer is completed. We were told that takes about 2 years. We have no idea if the information given is valid as the salespeople change the rules with every update.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There should be a clause in the contract you're interested in adding a family member to that is titled "Assignment." That clause covers the transfer or assignment of the contract and is in the "Clauses" section of the ten year contract for the newer style ones; I'm not sure where it is for the older ones. In the newer ones it defines immediate family members as parents, children and grandchildren and makes transfers or assignments to them or heirs free of the transfer fee; since it's OP's brother, he wouldn't ordinarily be in the immediate family member definition, but could qualify under the "heir" portion if that's how things are set up. That's based on a contract I've got rather than the actual Mayan Palace one that this thread was based on, so it's important to read what it says in the actual contract you're dealing with. I did have one member services fellow tell me that the "heir" thing is only good after someone has passed and you would have to have proof of the inheritance, but I was only inquiring to find out what the bounds of my assignment clause really were as it doesn't seem to cover things like adopted children, etc. It is probably subject to interpretation and you could probably persuade them on the subject if you really try.

As far as who to contact, that is also covered in the contract; this time in the internal policy portion that is titled "Reservations and Customer Service." In the contract I'm looking at it states that
"[t]he only official channel for questions, reservations and all other communications with the Company regarding Member's Contract is the Company's Contact Center in Mexico." Then it provides the email customerservice@vidanta.com or reservations@vidanta.com and the phone numbers and hours of operation for the call center as well as the registered mail address Paseo de la Marina Sur #220, Marina Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco 48335 Mexico. I've upgrade a couple of times so have old copies of contracts and they all provide the same contact address although the name of the mailing address varies; the email addresses on an old Mayan Palace contract might be different, but the phone number is probably the same. Bottom line is read what the contract says about contacting them and follow the instructions there; the corporate headquarters for Vidanta is in PV/NV, which is where the contracts I have say to make contact with them for questions and all other communications.

We were told in January 2019 during our last visit that we had to call the Member Services at the resort we bought into. For example our contract starts with the letter "I" which means we bought in Riviera Maya. In order to add our children to our contract we had to get the paperwork from Riviera Maya. The contract automatically goes to your children however in Mexico if the kids names are not on the contract then the timeshare will be held up in Mexico's equivalent of Probate Court until the transfer is completed. We were told that takes about 2 years. We have no idea if the information given is valid as the salespeople change the rules with every update.

I think you're right to question the information you got from sales. Also, the letter "I" is the first letter for contracts sold recently for international guests and isn't specific to Riviera Maya. I believe the second letter is the one that designates where you purchased/upgraded; I think it is "N" for Nuevo Vallarta/Puerto Vallarta (PV doesn't really seem to do sales now) and "C" for Riviera Maya. I haven't figured out the rest of the lettering system before the numbers in the contract numbers, but that's the pattern I've noticed so far. Also, calling member services in Riviera Maya strikes me as being against the terms of the contract I had that was written in Riviera Maya, so I wouldn't do that. Check what your contract says, though, of course.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa

Unless they have changed the policy, you can add other people to your contract at no charge. You can also change who the primary member is on the contract for financial responsibility. There was and still should be a form for doing that. I would suggest your brother send an email to customer service (Eric gave the address above) and request those forms be sent to him as he wants to add his brother to the contract. He should be able to do it all by mail - or could have in the past.

I would suggest first getting yourself added to his contract, then at a later time request the change from your brother to you as to the primary member.

Good Luck, I hope it works out.
Mike