• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Medical Insurance

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Once again they've raised my insurance for the year that begins April 1st. Up almost 25%, from $1015 to $1266. Two more years to Medicare age, can't come soon enough! At least they are paying my back/pain doctor regularly where he was having to fight for every penny. For some reason they are paying me instead of him and I've seen about $30K in checks come across my desk in the last 3 months.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
The advantages are few, but medicare and a few bucks in discounts seem to be the extent.
At age 62 I started cola on my pension, at 65 I got on Medicare. Except for grandkids, nothing good happened after that.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Heard or read somewhere:
When you're young, you look forward to a job and career.
When you're working, you look forward to retirement.
When you're retired, you look forward to doctor visits.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Once again they've raised my insurance for the year that begins April 1st. Up almost 25%, from $1015 to $1266. Two more years to Medicare age, can't come soon enough! At least they are paying my back/pain doctor regularly where he was having to fight for every penny. For some reason they are paying me instead of him and I've seen about $30K in checks come across my desk in the last 3 months.
Sounds like you are getting more in benefits than the premiums you are paying, even with the rate increase. If I were in that situation, I would be doing the happy dance knowing how much insurance is saving me, not complaining...

Kurt

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year was an expensive year for my health insurer with various labs/procedures/tests that I had. They paid more than what they collected from my premiums. I dropped the "metal" level from Gold to Silver this year to save about $200 per month. I will see how this year go as I am hoping it will be a fairly low treatment/visit year. As long as I am healthy I will stay on Silver until I become eligible for Medicare.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting more in benefits than the premiums you are paying, even with the rate increase. If I were in that situation, I would be doing the happy dance knowing how much insurance is saving me, not complaining...

Kurt

My thoughts exactly. What about all the people paying higher premiums that have not filed a claim? Insurance premiums should be based off individuals and not the same across the board.

Brett

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. What about all the people paying higher premiums that have not filed a claim? Insurance premiums should be based off individuals and not the same across the board.

if health insurance were based solely on an individual's medical history then many would get dropped or not even allowed to get health insurance. But I suppose that's your point, eliminate the sick from the "pool" and that would create much lower insurance rates for the healthy (assuming they stay healthy)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Math is not my strong point- and that is an understatement- but actuarialy this would never work.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
if health insurance were based solely on an individual's medical history then many would get dropped or not even allowed to get health insurance. But I suppose that's your point, eliminate the sick from the "pool" and that would create much lower insurance rates for the healthy (assuming they stay healthy)

Possibly a credit score system but for health. Encourage people to be healthy and not take unexpected risks. Some things are unforeseen but healthy people may not be able to afford health insurance because the premiums are so high to cover others.

It's crazy to think someone who has recieved thousands of dollars in checks from their insurance is complaining about a price increase.

Brett

Reaction score
Possibly a credit score system but for health. Encourage people to be healthy and not take unexpected risks. Some things are unforeseen but healthy people may not be able to afford health insurance because the premiums are so high to cover others.

It's crazy to think someone who has recieved thousands of dollars in checks from their insurance is complaining about a price increase.

credit scoring for medicare. I'm guessing you are young and healthy !

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
credit scoring for medicare. I'm guessing you are young and healthy !

Really- what happens to older people or people of any age who have health issues- you just leave them to die? I mean- come on!

I don't care how healthy you are- your time will come. People only have so much control over their health. Something eventually happens to them. I can attest to that right now myself with my leg issue that popped up out of nowhere. I- a person who exercises everyday and has strong legs. And this is a minor issue compared to what many people have to go through.

Insurance premiums are outrageous. Even the Medicare ones. Something has to change.

I guess people with unlimited money don't feel the same way or care about it.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes insurance would be very cheap if they did not have any people that need care. :rolleyes:

Also I do not think you can blame a person for complaining about a price increase because this year he made out. You have no idea how much his insurance company made over his lifetime.

Since I have never had one of those hugely expensive problems my guess is my insurance company has made money on me. Personally I am very glad that I have not taken my insurance company to the cleaners with a lot more usage and will be thrilled to lose money on all my insurances until I no longer need them.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Side Note: I would deposit the checks and pay using a CC with good points redemption if you aren't doing that already. I did that when I built my house. Earned enough CC miles for several round trip airline tickets.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Side Note: I would deposit the checks and pay using a CC with good points redemption if you aren't doing that already. I did that when I built my house. Earned enough CC miles for several round trip airline tickets.

Something happened in the Blue Cross system last year because payment always went directly to doctor in the past. When office visit checks started coming directly to me I deposited them and then used my credit card when my statement arrived. But when a $15K check arrived I really didn't want that in my check book, so I asked at the office and they said to just sign the back and drop it off next time I was that direction. More than happy to get cc points with more "reasonable" amounts!

geekette

Reaction score
that is Monthly rate? yipes, I should be happy for my $700 policy.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
that is Monthly rate? yipes, I should be happy for my $700 policy.

Absolutely. I just received a statement giving the value the company puts to our health care for 2. With the company and our contribution our total cost would be about 30k a year. Ouch We even have fairly large deductibles too.

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on Medicare and still have to pay over $10,000/year for supplemental insurance that Medicare does not cover plus the $3200/year Medicare payment they take out of Social Security. It is not a free ride.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Absolutely. I just received a statement giving the value the company puts to our health care for 2. With the company and our contribution our total cost would be about 30k a year. Ouch We even have fairly large deductibles too.

I have a $5,000 deductible, but I don't pay the first $5,000, if that makes sense. I pay a discounted amount until I hit the $5,000. Lots of smoke and mirrors. My back/pain doctor had to get a third party involved to finally get his bills paid, whether by "threats" or by figuring out the proper way to code things. He definitely got more compensation this year and I no longer get denials of coverage every time I get an epidural. I think he basically worked for free in 2017, other than office visits.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on Medicare and still have to pay over $10,000/year for supplemental insurance that Medicare does not cover plus the $3200/year Medicare payment they take out of Social Security. It is not a free ride.
Which Medicare Supplement are you on that costs $833 per month? Did the Supplement insurer move you up to Tier 3 based on medical condition(s) which increases premium?

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which Medicare Supplement are you on that costs $833 per month? Did the Supplement insurer move you up to Tier 3 based on medical condition(s) which increases premium?
This is a supplement plan through my state retirement system. I should mention that all the expenses I mentioned above is for both my wife and I.

geekette

Reaction score
I have a $5,000 deductible, but I don't pay the first $5,000, if that makes sense. I pay a discounted amount until I hit the $5,000. Lots of smoke and mirrors. My back/pain doctor had to get a third party involved to finally get his bills paid, whether by "threats" or by figuring out the proper way to code things. He definitely got more compensation this year and I no longer get denials of coverage every time I get an epidural. I think he basically worked for free in 2017, other than office visits.
Not smoke and mirrors, this is how insurance works. There is a negotiated rate that the insurer and in-network providers agree to.

If the provider was having trouble getting paid, could be lack of pre-cert that insurer requires, or, as you mention, incomplete or inaccurate coding. Perhaps he had to prove medical necessity. Definitely, insurance is complicated. I thank my lucky stars that claims are filed by provider electronically these days, I do not miss paper claim forms that were responsibility of patient.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

I second that Medicare is no free ride. I am single, in excellent health and still paid a total of $6,462.72 last year for my share of Medicare Part B, Medicare Part D and my Medicare Plan F High Deductible Supplement. Dividing that by 12 tells me I am paying $538.56 per month for my Medicare coverage.