• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mexico Timeshare RCI Trading Power

MiniDog

Reaction score
I'm contemplating buying an EOY resale TS in PVR that is optional all inclusive for owners but mandatory AI for exchangers. While I would use my actual week, I would also like to exchange it in the future. My concern is that because it's a mandatory exchange within RCI it will have a lower trading value and I won't really have the opportunity to make decent exchanges within the RCI system. Because I don't own it yet, I can't use the RCI trade value calculator. I was wondering what all your experiences have been or any input on this topic. TIA!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I'm contemplating buying an EOY resale TS in PVR that is optional all inclusive for owners but mandatory AI for exchangers.
While I would use my actual week, I would also like to exchange it in the future. My concern is that because it's a mandatory exchange within RCI it will have a lower trading value ...... TIA!

Hi Minidog - you will get more useful responses with more information
1) What resort in PV area ?
(Velas ? - etc )

2) what week or season / or is it a float week ?
in general Mexican summer weeks will have less deposit value than winter weeks)

3) what is the current MF ?
Trading value is really a ratio of TPU’s to MF so :
20 TPU’s for $ $400 MF = $20 per TPU (pretty good)
20 TPU’s for $500 MF = $25 per TPU (decent)
20 TPU’s for $900 = $ 45 (use TS only to stayed using your week / buy a 2nd TS as a trader)

also : 2 bedroom lock-offs can be deposited as 2 units / this typically gets more TPU’s .
( there are also RCI points / different virtual currency / similar explanation on trade value .

4) If you want to exchange for something that costs more TPU’s than you get per week deposited ;
you will need to deposit 2 years of weeks and then pay RCI a combine fee .
Trying to manage EOY deposits can also end up being more complicated ( deposits expire - unless you pay RCI a extend fee) .

MiniDog

Reaction score
Thx for the info TDotTraveller! 1) Coincidentally, yes Velas 2) Float 1-50 3) $1400 MF EOY so that ratio isn't very good then? 4) Combining weeks in addition to the fees doesn't make financial sense. Do you know what the RCI extend fee is?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I wouldn't buy a Mexican timeshare to use for trades. There are way better resorts in the USA to buy for trades, imo.

Bill

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thx for the info TDotTraveller! 1) Coincidentally, yes Velas 2) Float 1-50 3) $1400 MF EOY so that ratio isn't very good then? 4) Combining weeks in addition to the fees doesn't make financial sense. Do you know what the RCI extend fee is?

Hi MiniDog,
1)- Velas has really excellent reviews for their AI / so worth acquiring if you will use to vacation there .
I assume it may be the PV - Marina location . ( I guessed Velas because I know it is mandatory AI in RCI but has contracts that have AI optional for owners.)

2)-their older contracts allow the optional AI for owners **- so more flexible for usage .
(I believe at some point / perhaps 10 years or so ago Velas may have switched to selling AI required contracts)**. The terms of an older contract should remain as written .

3)- I believe some of the MF can be applied against the AI fees .**
So if you do the AI - it works like a discount .

4)- $1400 MF/ week : is about what the (non AI) Club Regina down the street (in the Marina) costs. The Marriott in the Marina will likely,be more .

5) - As easyrider said - this is not a trader - the only reason to deposit into RCI is that you have no other choice because you cannot use that particular years week.
BUT - if the buy in is inexpensive and you want it to use - it should provide excellent vacation value .

6) Velas like most Mexican contracts is an RTU with an expiry date . This is your no cost exit strategy.

7) I see it floats 1-50 (so not Christmas / New Years )
If it allows the booking of the weeks on either side of Easter Sunday - this is a bonus .

7 ) as you start reading more TUG threads - note how many members own more than 1 TS . Some are traders / some are for use at the specific property .
The "one size fits all " TS concept is to help the developer’s sales force overcome objections to buying .

** Most of what I just posted came from reading TUG (and visiting PV) .
I don't own Velas - so check with the seller on the contract specifics I mentioned .

Last edited:

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I did the opposite. I have an EOY unit at a timeshare in the USA that I deposit and trade for places in México. I can typically get 2 weeks in México for my 1 week deposit. Acapulco is beautiful. Just saying. :)