• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Missy the Pest again...Williamsburg or Massanutten?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
We prefer Massanutten to Williamsburg in the summer. Williamsburg doesn't have any resorts with any really nice pools and everything is off site and outdoors and I just don't do well. In the summer when it can get really hot the pools that are at many are filled to capacity.

At Massanutten we don't hit the water park more than once a week or maybe a full day and an after 5 but that's it. There is still a fairly large outdoor pool at the woodstone rec center, the mountainside one has a diving board. There are free wiffle ball and kick ball games almost daily for the under 12. We like to rent an adult and a kid size driver and get a large bucket of balls and just wack balls down the range-we take turns and for less than $10 we have a great afternoon 1-1.5 hour activity. We hit the geo dome bungy jump one evening or morning when it is cooler.

So these pools are free:
section_lodging-section.jpg

Woodstone-at-Massanutten-Recreation-Center.jpg

Bungy dome is about $7 for 15 minutes but it wears them out.
For around $30-$35 we get a combined Ropes course, climb and mega zip line pass
https://www.massresort.com/play/family-adventure-park/

So one day of water park- if you go on the tour they are free- I don't necesarily recommend that route to the water park. I search early and can usually find discounted tickets in the $25-$30 range. I think full price tickets are nearly $40 and that is too much.
Water Park, Adventure pass combo and bungy jump the kids are up to about $75 in activities. Everything else we do are the free activities. We do spend about $5 total as a family on a couple air hockey rounds and billiards but the ping pong is free.
We made the decision to head to Massanutten right after this thread originated. Thank you for posting the pictures of the pools. The kids will be excited when I show them. We'll do W-burg another time (maybe when my youngest daughter finishes 8th grade.) Anticipation is part of the vacation fun! Thanks for adding to ours!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I'm jumping in here kind of late but here goes. Son went to James Madison University in Harrisonburg, quite close to Massanutten, so we stayed at Mass several times during his four years. However, he graduated in 2004 so I'm a bit out of date.

Back then, I think Mass only had two restaurants, one at Woodstone and another I forget where. Looks like there are more choices now but the alternatives for meals are (1) eat in or (2) drive to H'burg or Elkton. We eat breakfast in but other than that, my wife doesn't consider it to be a vacation.

Rugzyschick

Reaction score
Personally I think you will love it there, 13. and 15 are great ages, 21 - should still find more than plenty of things to do
We own there and go every year, in fact our week for 2018 is Aug 3 -
If interested, when we get real close (the week prior) I would be glad to help you see if you can get one of the best units there. (Each year before we leave we drive around and pick our unit for 2 years out, We have 4 units we think are 'the best')- If you call the week prior and request them - they may be able to assign you one. (If not already reserved by other owners like myself)
We have a 4 bdrm lockout, Usually 2 couple in one and I try to get some friends with kids to take the other. The more kids the better.
Water tubing down the river is popular with kids, Go Karts, mini golf, A lot of activites (organized softball, volleyball) Local caverns (Especially on a hot day, they are nice and cool) Skateboard park. Almost no end.
Goes without saying waterpark.

Was interested in Massenutten myself to visit and see if that's an option to buy our "home" resort. I see there are lots of options for this place. I saw it's available through Vacation Village and then I saw there are other parts elsewhere which is mountside villas, stonesomething, etc...not sure how they all "connect" in the timeshare world. Looking for a home base we can go but also have the option to trade through RCI or II to go elsewhere. Somewhere where the MF's are reasonable (unlike the beach touristy areas) AND we can trade up to go to the beachy areas too.