• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Molokai Trip

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We’re leaving for our second Molokai trip this weekend. I didn’t post about the first one. We were checking for a possible retirement spot. We liked what we saw and checked out a few places on our own.

We have been checking this out for about a year now and we have it narrowed down to a few properties. This trip is definitely last minute. I just got done booking the rental car tonight.

It’s only going to be a week but it will be mostly walking the properties and making a decision. After talking to her for months, it will be the first time meeting the realtor we are working with.

While we won’t be doing much touristy stuff, Remember, it’s Molokai:), I will be posting some pictures along the way.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm super interested in this as we considered buying a piece of land on Molokai a few years ago. We decided that we'd work an extra decade to snowbird on Kauai instead but maybe you'll swing the pendulum back the other way!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I'm super interested in this as we considered buying a piece of land on Molokai a few years ago. We decided that we'd work an extra decade to snowbird on Kauai instead but maybe you'll swing the pendulum back the other way!

We definitely looked at Kauai but we know we couldn’t swing that. Not much available properties and even far less or none in our price range. Rentals is even a worse situation. We still kick ourselves once in a while for not buying in 2011, 2012 when we could have afforded it.

My company purchased HFM a food service distributor in Hawaii. I was hoping that could lead to a transfer, it looks like I would have to be on Oahu. I know I can’t afford that. Plus, there’s way too many people there for me.:) So we will see.

I just made my reservation last night and we will be staying in a unit right next to one we are interested in. I’ll post some pictures while we’re there.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, you are my hero. Enjoy your trip, and keep us posted. Good luck with the property search!

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I loved Molokai when we visited some years back. But I'm not sure I could live there.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I loved Molokai when we visited some years back. But I'm not sure I could live there.

It certainly not for everyone, short term or long term. :)
I know people who have gone for a week and didn’t like it. Small, rural is right up our alley for daily living. We’ll see, I know we’ll have more trips in our future.:thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, you are my hero. Enjoy your trip, and keep us posted. Good luck with the property search!

Dave

I remember when I left Chicago for Baraboo Wisconsin. I figured I could always go back. I never looked back, we’re taking the same approach here. Who knows how it will turn out but it will be an experience either way.

The realtor got a hold me last night and she has four showings lined up already. Sounds like we’ll end up looking at about 10 or 12 Properties with 4 of those being on the top of our list.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I remember when I left Chicago for Baraboo Wisconsin. I figured I could always go back. I never looked back, we’re taking the same approach here. Who knows how it will turn out but it will be an experience either way.

The realtor got a hold me last night and she has four showings lined up already. Sounds like we’ll end up looking at about 10 or 12 Properties with 4 of those being on the top of our list.
Jeff, one thing I would be concerned about is how you would be accepted, and treated, if you moved to Molokai. We didn't encounter any issues, at least none I was aware of, when we visited, but I've heard that haoles are still not much appreciated in many parts of the state. Since Molokai has been resistant to development, and wanting to stay more native, I would think it would be a hard area to break into. I'll be interested in hearing your experiences.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep, definitely something we’ve heard about also. There are quite a few condo developments on the island that have been there for years and there have been people doing what we are about to do for just as long. My limited experience has been the same as yours. I’m sure it will depend on individual people.

The one thing I heard often is that if you come here and want to change things, you won’t be welcome. I’m not looking to change anything. :)

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, definitely something we’ve heard about also. There are quite a few condo developments on the island that have been there for years and there have been people doing what we are about to do for just as long. My limited experience has been the same as yours. I’m sure it will depend on individual people.

The one thing I heard often is that if you come here and want to change things, you won’t be welcome. I’m not looking to change anything. :)
Best of luck on your house hunting trip Slip. We just purchased our vacation/retirement home/cottage up north at Higgins lake Michigan, different location but similar process. hope all goes well. AL

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Best of luck on your house hunting trip Slip. We just purchased our vacation/retirement home/cottage up north at Higgins lake Michigan, different location but similar process. hope all goes well. AL

Thank You!!

Already ran into the first issue. The realtor we’ve been working with for months had to pull out because of a referral fee issue.

When we started looking, I used the Realtor.com app. I clicked to ask a question and they said they would put me in contact with a local realtor. She is stationed in Maui. Molokai is in Maui county and because all the properties couldn’t be shown at once while i’m There, she contacted realtors there to do the showings. That’s where it started to be an issue. So she released me and I have an agent on Molokai now.

I really wanted one on Molokai and that’s what I thought I was doing through the app. Anyway, the agent on Maui was awesome and answered a ton of questions for us. The new agent sounds knowledgeable too and she is local so that should be a plus.

Don’t know if I would contact anyone from those apps again. I think I would do a search to find someone. Anyway, this is all working out so far.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Don’t know if I would contact anyone from those apps again. I think I would do a search to find someone.

That's a bummer. It's like those pop-up CHAT windows that show up all the time when you try to go onto a retail website for something. You agree to a chat with someone, only to find out they have no idea what they're supposed to know, they are located in another country, and they can't answer your questions. WTH???

Anyway, this is all working out so far.

I'm glad you found an alternative. Good luck, friend! Make it happen.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We’ll it’s moving along well. Just talked to the new realtor and so far so good. I’ll be hitting the ground running, she’s going to take me to a few properties on Sunday. I figured I’d Be relaxing on Sunday. :)

Kapolei

Reaction score
We’ll it’s moving along well. Just talked to the new realtor and so far so good. I’ll be hitting the ground running, she’s going to take me to a few properties on Sunday. I figured I’d Be relaxing on Sunday. :)

Good luck. If I were buying on Molokai, I would take my time and low ball my offers. I can’t imagine a lot of buyers.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck. If I were buying on Molokai, I would take my time and low ball my offers. I can’t imagine a lot of buyers.

That is the plan. :)
I’ve been looking at past and recent sales. Hope it works out. We’ll see.

One thing I wanted to add, we,ve been watching for close to a year now and Properties move more than I thought. Some have come on and off the market a few time too.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At the airport ready for my first leg to Denver. Only an hour layover there then off to Honolulu. I have a few hours to kill there. Probably grab some dinner before the last leg to Moloka’i.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
At the airport ready for my first leg to Denver. Only an hour layover there then off to Honolulu. I have a few hours to kill there. Probably grab some dinner before the last leg to Moloka’i.

Safe trip! Keep us posted.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just landed in Denver.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just boarded for Honolulu. Everything is still on time. Big plane 777 with about 50 open seats.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Just boarded for Honolulu. Everything is still on time. Big plane 777 with about 50 open seats.

Your 777 is flying in the 80’s.

I think your plan is a good one. Just don’t invest any money in upgrading the property in case you change your mind in a year or two

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your 777 is flying in the 80’s.

I think your plan is a good one. Just don’t invest any money in upgrading the property in case you change your mind in a year or two

Yeah, we’re looking at ones that are more turnkey. I am willing to do some small things and I am going to be checking around to see how expensive items are there. But nothing that will be large.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Made it to Honolulu. Boy, just in time, i’m Hungry. I have a few hours so i’m Going to grab a bite at the United club before I head al the way across the airport to my gate.

No delays and every flight was actually a little early.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Are you alone this trip?

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, my wife couldn’t get off work and was running short on days for our January trip. I have to take videos and do Skype walk throughs.

She’s is going to make sure I get good at my video skills. :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Jeff - Are you staying at Ke Nani Kai?