TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

More Crappy News From SF

Discussion in 'US - Western States Timesharing' started by WalnutBaron, Aug 31, 2018.

1. WalnutBaron

WalnutBaron TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Welk
    By now, most of us have read or witnessed the truly alarming situation in San Francisco, where homeless people are literally turning parts of the city into a poopfest.

Now The Points Guy is reporting that taxi drivers are pooping and urinating in one of SFO's parking lots and creating a public health hazard. It is implied in the article that this is being done as a form of protest against Uber and Lyft, both of which are headquartered in San Francisco.

Already, at least one major convention has been canceled because of San Francisco's inability to effectively deal with this problem. Whether because of lack of political will or because of some other problem is debatable.

What is not debatable is that this is a gross and despicable problem and the city needs to handle it before its reputation for being one of the most beautiful cities in the world goes right down the toilet.

x3 skier and mpumilia like this.
  2. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

Last week the 10-2 shift on one of our Los Angeles talk radio stations was discussing the $70K jobs being offered in SF for scoopers of human poop. With benefits the compensation more than doubled. Conversation surrounded how much money the hosts and the various engineers and producers who were chiming in would need to scoop poop all day. General consensus was that $70-80K was a good number, except that they couldn't afford to live where they worked due to home and rental values in the Bay Area.

mpumilia likes this.
  3. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    I keep hearing about this on the radio. Just awful. I was telling my son about it, as he travels there sometimes for work and he says he hasn't seen any of this. Must be in certain areas of the city that he just hasn't been to I suppose.

4. WalnutBaron

Resorts Owned:
    I have not noticed the problem in the Financial District or in the Presidio area. However, it's a huge problem at Union Square (a major tourist area) and the surrounding area as well as the Haight District and South Of Market district.

mpumilia likes this.
  5. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

South of Market was where the radio folk were talking about. The Worldmark timeshare in SF is in a location near Chinatown that has a street running below it. We were last there three years ago and Cliff was wondering why it had been ten years since the previous visit. All I had to do was wrinkle my nose and make a face before responding and he remembered -- never again will we walk down those stairs to the street below. The stairwell was being used as a toilet, and that was 13 years ago.

mpumilia likes this.
  6. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    The California way. Use other people's money to clean other people's poop.

This place is nutty but the weather's great!

x3 skier and mpumilia like this.
  7. billymach4

billymach4 TUG Member

8. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    ....California........tumbles into the sea......
    ....That'll be the day I go back to Annandale....

Anne&Jim and Forensicpsych53 like this.
  9. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Our younger dd isin San Francisco right now, staying on Union Square. She said the streets are quite clean.

Born2Travel and klpca like this.
  10. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Interesting that it seems okay to bash SF and Calif. -
    Yet... if similar stuff was said about other cities/states there would be an outcry.

Want some examples?
    There are 100s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lydlady and itchyfeet like this.
  11. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    It gets tiring sometimes. After all, this is our *home*. I would never bash the place where someone else has chosen to live. That said, I have to say that this situation is pretty awful.

fillde likes this.
  12. itchyfeet

itchyfeet TUG Member

Most big cities have a homeless problem. It is up to us as citizens to help solve it!

13. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    I know the feeling. Years ago when I lived full time in NYC we had the same problem. Then we got a new mayor ( didn’t name him as I don’t want anyone to say I made this political) and the city was revitalized and cleaned up. Now I am beginning to see the problem starting again. Sometimes the smells are horrible. I can’t understand how wonderful cities allow this to happen.

mpumilia, Tia, fillde and 2 others like this.
  14. billymach4

billymach4 TUG Member

It's sad. Particularly subway stations reek from urinating in NYC.

I have seen some human fecal matter. However not to the degree described about the problem in SF.

mpumilia likes this.
  15. billymach4

billymach4 TUG Member

Sometiimes a homeless person enters a subway car and the malodorous stench is so repulsive everyone abandons the car. Then you get a nasty surprise at the next stop at rush hour. You think that it's a miracle when you can get a seat in an air conditioning car. But NO.... You fall over from the putrid smell.

mpumilia likes this.
  16. billymach4

billymach4 TUG Member

Here's another one for NYC Subway. Use to work in Midtown a few stops norrth of Penn Station to catch the LIRR.

Just like I described above get on the train to the few stops south to Penn. The odor was so bad and too late to escape before the doors closed. Of course it was a packed car standing room only. The only relief from the odor was to open front door between the cars and catch the breeze from the passing air. It was terrible.

mpumilia likes this.
  17. x3 skier

x3 skier Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Unless Citizens demand the elected leadership solve the problem or elect persons who will solve it, there’s little Citizens can do. It can be done as Panina noted.

Cheers

Panina likes this.
  18. billymach4

billymach4 TUG Member

Another plug for NYC..

So NY has a bottle deposit on soda cans and bottles. Nickel each. You can take your used bottles, cans back and get your nickels.

I have occasionally collected my used beverage containers to get my deposit back.

When you go to the recycling machine there are people there with shopping carts with filled with bags saddlled with used containers that have been collected from scouring the neighborhood for miles. No joke. You can see this in all areas of the metro area. These poor folks are scraping by on nickels collected from beer and soda cans.

mpumilia likes this.
  19. billymach4

billymach4 TUG Member

And my friends and family want to know why I want to move out of NY.

mpumilia likes this.
  20. WalnutBaron

Resorts Owned:
    I guess you're accusing me of doing the "bashing". Personally, I love San Francisco, and include its iconic Golden Gate Bridge as my avatar here on TUG. I have many fond memories of times spent with our kids, my bride of 38 years, and as a kid myself. (My dad took me to my first SF Giants game when I was 5 and I got to see Willie Mays hit two home runs that day.)

I'm also a 4th generation native Californian, so this is my home as well as yours. My family has a long history here, and I'm grateful for the legacy and for the wonderful climate and matchless soils and natural resources that God placed in this beautiful state of ours which allows me, my brothers, and now one of our sons to make our livelihoods by living close to the land.

So no--I'm not "bashing".

But when a beautiful city is managed in such a way that it tolerates the conditions which lead to the situation I am criticizing, it's no time to put one's head in the sand and wish it wasn't happening. We had friends from Georgia come visit us last month, and one of their dreams was to spend a few days in San Francisco. I didn't tell them about the reports I'd heard related to this subject, because I hoped they'd do the usual tourist-y things and just enjoy themselves. Unfortunately, they observed--on multiple episodes in multiple locations in the city--exactly the kind of thing I called out in this post. So this is not something that's being overblown by social media or those who just wish to "bash" San Francisco and California.

It's a real issue, a real problem, a real public health hazard, and a real shame. And those who manage the city that I love should be ashamed, because this kind of thing is entirely avoidable.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    GregT, mpumilia, breezez and 5 others like this.
  21. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    And it's also true that non homeless people are defecating on rental bikes because they don't like them. All part of an emerging belief system that if someone says or does something you you don't like, you have the right to shut them up and destroy property to stop them.

Anne&Jim, mpumilia, dagger1 and 4 others like this.
  22. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The last time we were in NYC was 18 months ago and it was smelly and dirty and we decided not to return. It is unfortunate because that experience was different from the 2 times when we were there previously. We have not been back to San Francisco for about 10 years and have no desire to return. We still have good memories of San Francisco from before.

I believe the only way to address the homeless problem is to go back to the old days of having mental institutions where they stay and get treatment. Many of the homeless folks have mental health issues and leaving them live out in the society creates a problem for all. They are not able to work and they don't have the money to pay for lodging and food.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    mpumilia likes this.
  23. billymach4

billymach4 TUG Member

After 55 yrs born and raised in NYC.... Yes I am getting down on this place. Time has come and I am in the process of moving on.

mpumilia likes this.
  24. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Nope - just a general observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. WalnutBaron

Resorts Owned:
    In spite of the fact that some don't like these kinds of posts, the crappy news out of San Francisco just keeps coming. This article from The New York Times describes a pretty horrific situation. And while the article focuses on the city's Tenderloin District, the reader comments attached to the article emphasise that the issue persists in other sections of the city, including the Civic Center area which is the heart of the city's government offices, the Castro District, and even the well-heeled Marina District.

[​IMG]

I'll re-state that I am not a "basher" of San Francisco. It's a beautiful city. But there is no excuse for this situation to persist in one of the wealthiest cities in the world. It's disgusting. It has already led to cancellations of some business conventions.

San Francisco's tolerance for everything--including drug dealers who prey on addicts who then urinate and defecate and leave dirty needles on streets and sidewalks--is backfiring. The problem is out of control, and demands a solution.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018