• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Movie Pass

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I just received notice that my card is in the mail. You get charged at the time of signup, but your month does not start until you register the card with your account. At least that is what i have read. I was charged immediately, I will let you know what happens when I get home from Thanksgiving (Canadian not US) and I get my hand on the card.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you only have one smart phone, I think you would need to buy one ticket and sign out of the account and then sign back in under a different name. I don’t know if that would work, but it should.

According to the link I posted above, you need two separate phones... I'm not sure how they would know though.
Every MoviePass account must have its own unique iPhone/Android. Sharing a phone may result in redemption issues, which can prevent you from using the service. We wouldn’t want you to miss your film!

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you locked into a contract or can you cancel at anytime?

Newly retired...this looks great!

Many thanks,
Mabel

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I signed up for the card four weeks and three days ago. Today I received an email that my card has been processed and being mailed today. So it is taking about five weeks to get a card after you sign up. Maybe that processing time will get better. My understanding is that I will be billed one month after my card is activated. I think the $10 fee you pay to sign up includes the first month. I should find out within a week how that works.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just used our card for the first time. The process is you have to activate the card and be close to the theater (I think 100 yards). After that, use your phone to pick a theater and than the movie you are seeing and check-in. Walk up to the ticket agent and give them your card. They will run it through the credit card machine and charge your card, or charge movie pass. So for us they gave us a $9.00 credit card slip to sign and a copy of our ticket. I assume they charge movie pass the $9 and get paid a small amount of that charge, maybe 25 percent. But the process works and if anyone has detailed info on how it works, please advise and let us know. We expect they will raise the fees later. But we plan to see at least one movie per week and maybe more, so for us we will be saving lots of money when they raise the fees.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, a friend of mine thinks that only 10 percent of the seats are available for movie pass customers. We don’t know, but we have to wonder how Movie Pass or the theater makes money with this program.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We prefer to go to the earliest showing of the day, and there are usually 0-5 other people in the theater at that time of day. I'd think they would be happy to have people at those times, even for free, because they are paying as much or more to buy refreshments, as they would for tickets. Something is better than nothing.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the winter in Florida, you can't get a seat unless you go very early, eve. For the early shows. I would like to get this, but we aren't getting a smart phone for my husband,

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received my card in the mail last week, it took about 5 weeks. Just saw my first movie on Monday. It worked just like tompalm described. Very quick and easy. Usually I only attend the movies at the discount theater ($3-5) or at the discounted times ($5 all day Tuesday and before 5:30pm for seniors) at the regular theater. It was nice to be able to attend any movie I want without worrying about the discount times. I will probably be using it again today because there are still 5 movies I want to see. Funny thing, it works for the discount theater as well. I will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We just used our card for the first time. The process is you have to activate the card and be close to the theater (I think 100 yards).

We just got our cards too, but I'm confused about the info above - there is nothing in the instructions about being close to the theater - please clarify.

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can look up the movies from anywhere, but you can't actually purchase the ticket until you are within 100 yards of the theater. The app tells you that when you try to use it. So you cannot purchase tickets ahead of time from home, for example, but only when you are at the theater. I don't know how it would work if you went by the theater at an earlier time, if it would let you purchase the ticket earlier. I do that sometimes if it is a popular movie because at my favorite theater there is reserved seating. So I go earlier in the day, buy my ticket and then enter with no waiting. I will have to try that with movie pass.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK - but the quote said "activate the card" within 100 yards of the theater. Does he actually mean "select the movie"?

geekette

Reaction score
I guess I'm surprised at how many movies people go to! Wasn't something I did growing up, never caught on as an adult.

This sounds like a good deal for those who are frequent movie goers. I find it annoying that you must have a smartphone for "a card". Hope it works out for everyone. I would be challenging them if they tried to charge me more for what was originally advertised as "unlimited" so I hope it doesn't go that way, and if it does, folks fight back.

Reaction score
You can look up the movies from anywhere, but you can't actually purchase the ticket until you are within 100 yards of the theater. The app tells you that when you try to use it. So you cannot purchase tickets ahead of time from home, for example, but only when you are at the theater.

That is the kicker.....If you go to movies during the day midweek then you are fine, BUT if you want to use this for Friday or Saturday nights, it may be an issue, unless you arrive very early or live close to the theater.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got our cards too, but I'm confused about the info above - there is nothing in the instructions about being close to the theater - please clarify.

You have to wait until you are within 100 yards of the theater to select the movie and time you want to see. It uses the GPS on your phone. I'm sure there's some variance on that distance, but I've always waited until I get to the parking lot to select the movie. Then, the card is loaded with the funds, and you present your card to the ticket booth.

When you get your new card, you have to activate it to your account either through the app on your phone, or online. You can do this step anytime and anywhere, and you only have to do it once.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
MoviePass will sell user data to Uber, Hollywood studios & restaurants to make a profit

New York-based startup MoviePass plans to cash in on a night out at the movies by selling user data to Uber, Hollywood studios and restaurants close to theaters.

“You go to dinner, you might have drinks, you might use Uber or Lyft,” MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe told the FOX Business’ Maria Bartiromo on “Mornings with Maria.” “So we are going to help our subscriber get to all those businesses and get discounts and benefits.”

Lowe, who previously served as president of RedBox and is the co-founding executive of Netflix (NFLX), said the movie subscription service will use mobile devices to collect data.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features...ywood-studios-restaurants-to-make-profit.html

Nothing is free...

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
MoviePass will sell user data to Uber, Hollywood studios & restaurants to make a profit

Nothing is free...

MoviePass isn't free, the cost is $10 a month. Whatever they need to do to make enough money and still only charge me $10 a month, I'm in favor of. There is nothing in that article that bothers me. Yes, it's an invasion of my privacy. But, I'm willing to give up that privacy for the deal. Many apps on your phone work the same way, as the article mentioned. :)

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I got mine about 2 months ago, and used it. It was great, for awhile. But, as of last Friday, everytime I try to use the app to check in, it says "unable to create reservation." I am right in front of the theater. Tried logging out, and then back in. No luck. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. No luck. So, finally, I sent them a chat message via the app, and got no response. So, I bought the ticket, took a pic of the ticket and receipt with my phone camera, and am hoping for the best. Went again today, and the same thing happened. So, I'm hoping I get reimbursed.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I seen two movies so far this month. It has worked fine so far.

I will keep it though at least the end of the year, as there are always good movies that come out for the holidays.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK - but the quote said "activate the card" within 100 yards of the theater. Does he actually mean "select the movie"?

Yes, still need to be close to select the movie and you need to give your card to the box office within 30 minutes. I live four blocks from a theater and was able to purchase the tickets, so 100 yards is not exact. But I tried to purchase when a mile away and it didn’t work. Also, one time 45 minutes passed after purchase and arrival at box Office and the movie pass card did not work. I had to repurchase the movie on my phone and than the card worked at the box office. So it is best to wait until you get there to use your phone to get the ticket.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is it even important to be at the theater? If a person buys a ticket, the purchase is done. The company could say no refunds. Maybe it could even benefit from a few no-shows!

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got mine about 2 months ago, and used it. It was great, for awhile. But, as of last Friday, everytime I try to use the app to check in, it says "unable to create reservation." I am right in front of the theater. Tried logging out, and then back in. No luck. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. No luck. So, finally, I sent them a chat message via the app, and got no response. So, I bought the ticket, took a pic of the ticket and receipt with my phone camera, and am hoping for the best. Went again today, and the same thing happened. So, I'm hoping I get reimbursed.

The same thing happened to me, but when I tried the chat feature, I was kind of surprised that they answered me right away. They asked if I had downloaded the latest version of the app. I updated the app and it worked! So I was able to see the movie, although it took enough time that I missed the first few minutes. So far this month I have seen 5 movies. I love it! Don't know why it didn't work for you, I hope it gets resolved for you.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Well my stock went from $3 per share all the way up to $38....enough to pay for several of my Italy trips I was on when it hit that. Unfortunately as quick as it hit that it went back down...Its around $9 a share now. Also I read that the subscriptions are now over 600,000 users. Also their new projection is that they will be at 3.1M subscribers by next August. Hope they find some investors or have gone public to help fund this. Their model is that within a few months the average users is back down to 1 or less visits per month. I did 4 my first month. My wife only went once. Also plan on selling advertising and data from the subscriptions.