• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Movie Pass

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Go see movies while you can...if you can...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
MoviePass is Down Again
By Taylor Hatmaker/ TC/ TechCrunch/ techcrunch.com

"After the revelation that MoviePass borrowed $5 million to keep its service up and running last week, things aren’t looking good.

MoviePass subscribers, myself included, were met on Monday with a blank screen where their choice of screening should be. Navigating around dozens of theaters only shows a message that “There are no more screenings at this theater today.”

Twitter noticed too, and people are starting to sound the death knell for the beleaguered monthly movie subscription service. Some MoviePass theaters that offer e-ticketing still appear to have available showings according to Twitter users, but that doesn’t appear to be true across the board.

Plenty of companies fail, but few flail so publicly before doing so. MoviePass has dragged its subscribers on for its own apparent financial rollercoaster ride, switching pricing schemes around with bizarre frequency, adding surprise fees and suffering repeated outages...."

moviepass-ios.jpg

Richard

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, this one I disagree with. I have seen the no screenings, but I think that's an app bug. What I can do is select another theater or 2, and then go back to the same theater that generated the no more screenings and see them.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I liked some of those comments in the last article. "You’re the reason why the human race can’t have nice things."

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MoviePass Subscribers Are Finding That This Deal is Getting Worse All the Time
By Bloomberg/ Business/ Time/ time.com

"What started out as a boon for fans — the chance to see a big Hollywood hit in theaters every day for $10 a month — has turned into a struggle for survival at a company that hoped to shake up moviegoing.

As MoviePass runs low on cash, its subscribers have been subjected to ever-changing rules designed to curb demand and preserve the company’s dwindling resources.

MoviePass, owned by Helios & Matheson Analytics Inc., launched on the assumption it could offer fans daily movie admissions just under $10 a month. Since the company was paying theaters full price for tickets, the cash drain was instant and unrelenting. Hoped-for deals with major studios and the largest cinemas to share the costs never materialized.

Chief Executive Officer Mitch Lowe held an all-hands meeting with staff on Monday, where he suggested subscribers won’t be able to use their passes for some upcoming big releases, Business Insider reported Monday.

Neither MoviePass nor Helios & Matheson responded to phone and email requests for comment after normal business hours on Monday....."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MoviePass Shares Soar 200%, Then Plunge Even More After Service Raises Prices and Cuts Offerings
By Chris Morris/ Briefing/ MoviePass/ Fortune/ fortune.com

"Investors in MoviePass’s parent company are guzzling Dramamine Tuesday morning, as shares have been on a steep roller coaster, jumping more than 200% in early trading Tuesday, then quickly losing all of those gains—and more.

Shares of Helios and Matheson Analytics were down 30% as of 11:35 a.m. ET, after a steep climb in the first 20 minutes of trading. The jump came after MoviePass announced plans to increase the price of its standard plan from $9.95 per month to $14.95 per month.

Consumers are going to get less for that extra money, though. The service said it would begin limiting new movies in 1,000 theaters (at least) for the first two weeks of the film’s run. That’s angering customers, who were already upset after finding themselves locked out of the chance to use MoviePass to see Mission: Impossible – Fallout last weekend. The service was down again on Monday.

These changes come just weeks after the company added surcharges for screenings during peak periods.

“These changes are meant to protect the longevity of our company and prevent abuse of the service. While no one likes change, these are essential steps to continue providing the most attractive subscription service in the industry. Our community has shown an immense amount of enthusiasm over the past year, and we trust that they will continue to share our vision to reinvigorate the movie industry,” said Mitch Lowe, MoviePass CEO.

That didn’t do much to assuage outrage on social media, though...."

EdyrRMSF

MoviePass CEO announces in all-hands meeting that Tickets to big upcoming movies will not be
available on the App

Richard

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
MoviePass Subscribers Are Finding That This Deal is Getting Worse All the Time
By Bloomberg/ Business/ Time/ time.com

"What started out as a boon for fans — the chance to see a big Hollywood hit in theaters every day for $10 a month — has turned into a struggle for survival at a company that hoped to shake up moviegoing.

As MoviePass runs low on cash, its subscribers have been subjected to ever-changing rules designed to curb demand and preserve the company’s dwindling resources.

MoviePass, owned by Helios & Matheson Analytics Inc., launched on the assumption it could offer fans daily movie admissions just under $10 a month. Since the company was paying theaters full price for tickets, the cash drain was instant and unrelenting. Hoped-for deals with major studios and the largest cinemas to share the costs never materialized.

Chief Executive Officer Mitch Lowe held an all-hands meeting with staff on Monday, where he suggested subscribers won’t be able to use their passes for some upcoming big releases, Business Insider reported Monday.

Neither MoviePass nor Helios & Matheson responded to phone and email requests for comment after normal business hours on Monday....."

Richard

I haven't had the opportunity to use my MP for a while now. However, from my most recent experiences they are doing their best to discourage it's use. They required you to take a photo of your ticket stub and submit it before you can proceed with the next movie purchase. Plus, the app is buggy. The last time I tried to use it I reserved a movie and went inside to purchase and the purchase was rejected. The cashier tried on a different register to no avail. I then tried to pick a different movie and the same thing happened. I went outside to get a good signal and tried my original movie again and the app informed me I already had it reserved! When I went inside the purchase went through. I did the photo and submitted it and then was informed I had to submit a photo of the second movie I unsuccessfully tried. I couldn't because I did not get the purchase to go through and had no ticket stub. You were allowed to pick I don't have the stub and give an explanation. The next day I got a nasty e-mail informing me of my obligation to submit the photo and that I get only a one time exemption. Another transgression of their rule would result in my account being cancelled. Is the app buggy on purpose? Who knows.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MoviePass CEO Announces in All-Hands Meeting That Tickets to Big Upcoming Movies Will Not Be Available on the App
By Jason Guerrasio/ Business Insider/ businessinsider.com

• "In an all-hands meeting on Monday, MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe announced that the upcoming big releases "Christopher Robin" and "The Meg" would not be available to subscribers, a source familiar with the matter told Business Insider.
  • The implication was that the practice of not offering tickets to major releases would continue for the foreseeable future.
MoviePass subscribers were frustrated to find over the weekend that they couldn't order tickets through the app for the weekend's biggest release, "Mission: Impossible — Fallout," and it looks as if going forward they will continue to be shut out of major titles.

A source familiar with the matter told Business Insider that during an all-hands meeting on Monday, MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe said the app would not make "Christopher Robin" and "The Meg" — the two major releases hitting theaters in the next two weeks — available to its subscribers, and he implied that the practice of not offering tickets to major movies would continue for the foreseeable future...."

5b2267911ae6621d008b5b18-960-480.jpg

"The Meg."
Warner Bros.

Richard

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In reality, Movie Pass really should be like II instant exchange inside 60 days. You get the leftovers. It seems it was a good ride, but not a sustainable model. Really, for $10 a month, can one complain that they have to wait a few weeks to see a big blockbuster?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MoviePass Isn't Over (Yet), But These Are the Competitors Creeping In
By Adam Rosenberg/ Entertainment/ Mashable/ mashable.com

"MoviePass introduced us all to a new way of catching movies in theaters, and now the service's almost-demise has changed the landscape once again.

The MoviePass promise is a great idea on the face of things: For a single monthly price, subscribers get to indulge in regular trips to the theaters without bankrupting themselves. It's harder to see newer, more in-demand movies that are likely to sell out, but it's also easier to check out what's in theaters on a whim.

Everyone wins, ostensibly. Studios get more people seeing more movies. Theaters move more concessions. And moviegoers broaden their horizons, checking things out that they wouldn't normally schlep out and buy a ticket for.

It's a great idea that's struggled mightily in the execution, especially since dropping to an unsustainable $9.95/month subscription price last year. The dam broke in July when it came out that MoviePass was short on cash as outages plagued the service.

Lots of subscribers have had it with the recent outages. Others aren't down with the newly re-written rules. Regardless of where they're coming from, lots of folks are now rethinking their options when it comes to movie theaters and subscription services.

Here's a rundown of what all the options look like....."

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F820257%2Fa1646e6a-242d-4f4b-b7d7-720b892119a4.jpg

Image: Ben Margot/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Richard

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Richard, thanks for this current update.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
In reality, Movie Pass really should be like II instant exchange inside 60 days. You get the leftovers. It seems it was a good ride, but not a sustainable model. Really, for $10 a month, can one complain that they have to wait a few weeks to see a big blockbuster?

Yes! I find these articles overly negative. I enjoy the subscription, and actually never want to see a new big movie when it comes out anyway, don't like the crowds. For me, the changes that have happened are ok and love the system. It's always easy to say everyone is getting mad, etc. But that doesn't make it so. The complainers, as always, are the loudest. I'll be keeping my moviepass as long as I can.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that's fine, but the original premise under which it was marketed was not "See movies that aren't popular enough today to draw crowds." It was "See any movie you want, any time, up to one movie per day."

I have an e-ticketed theater near me, so I have escaped the brunt of the changes. But, if I didn't, I would have cancelled by now. Every Thurs-Sun showing in every other theater in town has had surge pricing of $4/movie. I get if the biggest movie of the week has that during prime time, but every showing of every movie?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don’t have a MP subscription (I have a love/hate relationship with theaters) but I hope they stay in business. They have already had significant influence in the industry and by surviving they will continue to do so...hopefully...though if they survive I assume the likelihood is that they would be bought by a studio or other industry player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that's fine, but the original premise under which it was marketed was not "See movies that aren't popular enough today to draw crowds." It was "See any movie you want, any time, up to one movie per day."

I have an e-ticketed theater near me, so I have escaped the brunt of the changes. But, if I didn't, I would have cancelled by now. Every Thurs-Sun showing in every other theater in town has had surge pricing of $4/movie. I get if the biggest movie of the week has that during prime time, but every showing of every movie?

Sure, completely understand. I just don't like when articles imply everyone has a problem, too much sensationalism and exaggeration. Let me pick out some words and phrases: "almost-demise, struggled mightily, unsustainable, outages plagued", etc. There is some truth in all of that, however, let's be real. As many startups do, phase 1 is to get as many customers as possible and who cares if you lose money, phase 2 is to adjust and try to bring down costs, and phase 3 is to add on services or revenue via various methods (data, whatever). Look how many years Amazon lost money, it's not like they didn't know they were losing money! Many other (esp Internet) examples. I don't disagree with anyone who might be mad about the changes, of course they are entitled and justified to. But I am tired of news stories that use too many strong words, that is what I am complaining about, not people like you that have their reasons.

I get the terms changed, they changed for me too, I am willing to live with it. But definitely, if you feel the service is no longer worth it, cancel it. That's the tradeoff for them. Eventually, they will find a sweet spot where it works (or die), they have cut deals with chains, and, enough people still like it. For me, one movie is over $10, and I pay $7.95/mo, so, not difficult to see the appeal. Even with the changes, if I go to one movie a month, I am ahead, so cancelling for me would either cost me money, or, I wouldn't go to movies. I am retired, can't stand noisy theaters, so for me, weekdays early is the best time anyway. The people who love movies and want to see 5 or more a month and are not retired so can (mostly) only go weekends are likely the most upset. For me, 2-3 a month is it so it's easy to find a date and time with no "surge". I actually go to more movies now than before Moviepass, so, it's definitely increased my traffic.

I have noticed Sat Sun has "surge" pricing on every movie here as well (even 11PM), surprised me too, I could see 7PM. I have never looked yet on Thursday or Friday, might be true here also, might not, will have to look! Our surge pricing varies by time, $2-$4. They need to rename it as I doubt 11PM is surge time! But "surge" I don't think is accurate as you point out. I was at a movie a few weeks ago at 11PM, might have been 20 people there out of, oh maybe 500 seats. So, not surge!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MoviePass Might Die So That the MoviePass Model Can Live
By Rob Harvilla/ Movies/ Pop Culture/ The Ringer/ theringer.com

"The too-good-to-be-true subscription service for moviegoers may be on the verge of collapse, but the idea behind it isn’t going away anytime soon.

MoviePass, the unwieldy utopian subscription service that has captivated casual theatergoers and confounded economists for the past year, has entered its GoFundMe stage. Which is to say, in all probability, its terminal stage. Here, from Friday, is a headline: “MoviePass Temporarily Shut Down Last Night Because They Ran Out of Money.” Here is a movie that you almost certainly did not see via MoviePass this past weekend: Mission: Impossible — Fallout. Here, as always, is a robust hashtag: #moviepassfail. Here is the reality: This was not sustainable. At least not in its current form. But somebody really ought to find a way to sustain it.

It was a rough weekend for everyone’s favorite “$9.95 a month for unlimited movie tickets” experience, an experience that gets less unlimited by the hour. Following a host of “technical issues” that rendered the app nigh-unusable Thursday night, reports surfaced that MoviePass had rushed to borrow $5 million in cash just to keep the service’s lights on this weekend. Here is a very complex economic term for that sort of maneuver: “payday loan.”...."

DeclineOfMoviepass_Getty_Ringer.0.jpg

Getty Images/Ringer illustration

Richard

Kate Carson

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timberlodge South Lake Tahoe
Royal Resorts Curacao
It was great while it lasted but Movie Pass is in a huge financial sinkhole. They are valued at less than $500,000. The App doesn't work now, the theatres can't process the cards, the reservations don't work even if you are at the box office window. Google their situation and if they are around in a few months, MAYBE consider signing up if they have their act together. Otherwise, at this point, it is a lost cause. I have 2 memberships and only got them 8 months ago. I signed up for annual programs and between 50% of the time it doesn't work and the few movies it did pay for, I am out about 30% more than if I had never signed up.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It seems to still work for me in my area. Last night we saw Spy Who Dumped Me. This morning there are still quite a few movies (BlindSpotting...) available and without surge.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you live near an AMC, just sign up for their new program. Sure it is double the previous Movie Pass price of $10, but since it is through the theater where you would go to see the movies, you don't need to worry about any games, surge pricing and what not. You can only see three movies a week, but it still seems to be a pretty good deal and perhaps a better chance at survival than Movie Pass.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I most likely will join AMC Stub A-list when MoviePass dies. We don’t watch more than three movies a week so this should be perfect for us :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I most likely will join AMC Stub A-list when MoviePass dies. We don’t watch more than three movies a week so this should be perfect for us :)
If we lived closer to one we probably would sign up now. The closest AMC for us is about 25 minutes. We did sign up for their paid membership for $15 a year where you get free popcorn and beverage upgrades and you can purchase tickets in advance online without the extra $3.50 fee. Best of all my wife signed up for their original club using a promo where after three paid movies you ended up with $35 in bonuses to use, they gave them in $10, $10 and $15 increments. SInce she had $10 in her account she ended up using that toward the $15 and only paid $5 for it. We don't get free movies, but since we only go on the el-cheapo days of Tuesday and weekends before noon where movies are only $5.50pp, it works out for our one movie a week, if we are lucky. We have other theaters closer to us, but we prefer the AMC that is further away.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MoviePass Plan Changes Cut Users Down to Three Movies Per Month
By Adam Rosenberg/ Mashable/ mashable.com

"For any remaining MoviePass subscribers out there: Enjoy the one-movie-a-day plan while you can.

Starting on Aug. 15, MoviePass subscribers will be limited to three movies per month under the $9.95 per month plan. If that sounds familiar, it's because such a plan already existed in the old, pre-implosion version of the service.

Prior to the company running out of money in late July, customers had two subscription plans to choose from: The popular $9.95/month plan that allowed users to check out one movie per day, per month; and the slightly cheaper $7.95/month plan, which limited subscribers to — wait for it — three movies per month.

If you don't believe me, you can still see both plans for yourself on the MoviePass website right now (as of the morning of Aug. 6). Even after all the service issues over the past two weeks, the MoviePass website bizarrely never went down or changed at all.

The newly re-tooled $9.95/month plan won't be exactly the same. A press release from MoviePass notes that "many major studio first run films" are included, which appears to be a reversal on last week's revelation that first run releases wouldn't be as widely available through the service.

That said, the press release is light on details here. Who knows what "many" means here?

MoviePass will also "suspend" Uber surge-style Peak Pricing for customers migrating to the new plan, as well as ticket verification. What's more, subscribers wanting to see more than three movies in a one-month period will be able to nab a discount of "up to $5" for additional tickets....."

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F823201%2F36744374-2528-46c4-877a-938752bccc88.jpg

Image: Shuttertock/ Take Photo

Richard

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Put in a different light from the haters.... From Business Insider:

"More changes are coming if you have a MoviePass subscription, but this time they may actually be good for you."

"This may sound bad at first blush, as subscribers today can see one movie a day with the service, but MoviePass is also rolling back several recent changes that enraged many subscribers. Among them were added pricing for certain movies and showtimes, no access to major releases like "Mission: Impossible — Fallout," and a higher monthly fee of $14.95 a month. This new plan reverses all of those measures."

"This new option is meant to strike a balance between making MoviePass economically viable and appeasing customers, who complained about peak pricing and not being able to see major releases. While the new change is sure to anger some users, Lowe said only 15% of MoviePass subscribers saw more than three movies a month."

You would think they are speaking of two different companies!

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Latest e-mail:

Dear MoviePass Member,

On August 15, 2018, we will hit the one-year anniversary of MoviePass’ revolutionary price point of $9.95 a month. We’ve experienced tremendous growth, and we know that at times, the frequent changes to our service have been frustrating to you. But through it all, one thing is clear: we’ve gotten people excited about going to the movies again.

Over the last year, we have tried different things and we’ve discovered what our members love about our service — the low price point and the ability to go to more than 91 percent of theaters nationwide. We’ve also learned what people don’t like about the service — features including Peak Pricing and Ticket Verification.

So now, with almost a full year of learnings under our belt, we’re introducing a new pricing plan that retains the features you love the most and removes the ones you don’t. Most importantly, this new plan will ensure that we can run a sustainable business and continue providing you with an amazing deal to go see movies in theaters.

Here are the details:

• Under our new plan, MoviePass members will be able to see up to three standard movies a month for $9.95, and be given up to a $5.00 discount to any additional movie tickets purchased. Today, 85 percent of MoviePass members go to three movies or less per month, so these changes cater to the majority of our movie-going community.
  • The new plan will include many major studio first-run films, however there will be some exceptions (note that theaters with e-ticketing will include all movies and showtimes with no restrictions).
  • We will be suspending Peak Pricing and Ticket Verification requirements for all members in the new plan described above.
  • Over the coming days, MoviePass members with a monthly subscription renewing on or after August 15th will be given the option in the MoviePass app to transition to the new plan. Quarterly and annual subscribers will not be impacted until their renewal date.
The truth is, disruption and innovation require staying flexible and having an open mind. We genuinely strive to offer you a service that is a great deal, and we believe that the new plan we’re introducing will be attractive to the majority of our members.

It’s been an exciting journey so far, and MoviePass is here to stay. Your endless support, understanding and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mitch Lowe