• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My opinion on Hokulani

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
Now I stay at Hokulani. This is my solo vacation and this is my first stay at this resort.

I am staying on the 10th and I see the building wall in front and the ocean from the bed.
Not too nice but not really bad. On the Waikiki standard, this clearly belongs to the OV
category.

Compared with the ones in HHV, it seams that Hokulani captures the image of urban vacation.
Kitchen is full but compact. The bath tab has a very modern character. The stand alone shower
gives you a stylish taste. The unit is designed very tightly. Not loose, relaxing or easy going
like the Lagoon tower. The location is very convenient.

If I was staying in a room with a better ocean view, I might have a more positive impression.
The noise level is not so much different from that in HHV while it sounds more like city with
Kalakaua Ave right there. But the noise is not an issue. The real problem for me is
the atmosphere I feel right in the middle of Waikiki. So much is going on and there
is the energy I feel.

I and my wife like HHV because it is close to Waikiki and Ala Moana. If I want to, I can walk
to Waikiki, Ala Moana and even Kakaako. HHV is a huge resort in a closed area and has the
almost all of convenience you need for your stay. Yet HHV itself is operating in the vacation
mode, separated from the busy, real world.

I never say that Hokulani is really bad and you should not come. It depends upon your preference
and the purpose of your trip. If you feel fine with my impressions above, Hokulani will be
great for you. If you prefer HHV, you may not want to stay here. If you love Ko Olina,
you sincerely recommend that you should delete the resort from your option list.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
I booked a plus room. And I was thinking of booking premier next year. I wanted to experience Hokulani anyway. The advantage above all is the location and convenience. You have more shops and restaurants than when you are in HHV. Easy to get out. When you are tired and back, you can reach your room within a minute.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
You can also do a split stay at Hokulani and then at HHV.

I have been booking grand islander every stay this past year. You are close enough to walk to all the eateries and night life of waikiki but still at HHV. Loved staying at Hokulani until Grand Islander opened up last year. We now prefer GI as our favorite HGVC Waikiki tower.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
After a week stay, I am somewhat getting used to the environment.

I should not know all the Hokulani plus rooms, but if making choice between Hokulani plus room
and Kalia garden view room. I would take the latter. But if you like shopping and having more
choices for eating near you, Hokulani will be good for you. Not quite the same but just like
staying at Times Square in NYC.

ThierryJapan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Waikikian , Lagoon Tower
I love Hokulani, it is perfect for the people who enjoy night life, at the step of all the bars, including rum fire at Sheraton

It is more a single/couple than family resort.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
You can also do a split stay at Hokulani and then at HHV.

I have been booking grand islander every stay this past year. You are close enough to walk to all the eateries and night life of waikiki but still at HHV. Loved staying at Hokulani until Grand Islander opened up last year. We now prefer GI as our favorite HGVC Waikiki tower.

Frank are you staying with points or with Open Season dollars? Thanks!

Best,

Greg

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Frank are you staying with points or with Open Season dollars? Thanks!

Best,

Greg
Points as the open season rates cost more than what the mf for corresponding points cost.

Up until grand islander opened last year, I was paying to save the leftover hgvc points we did not use. Even deposited 10000 points with rci because they were going to expire after being saved for one year. Now with our stay during the summer break, I did not have to pay to save points for the first time in about 4 years. Also we are on track to use all our 2019 points.

We were thinking of selling a few hgvc contracts last year because we couldn't use all the points. Now with travels to miami and using the rest at grand islander we actually might need to borrow from 2020.

See you in a few weeks at mko. Would love to meet and talk about timeshares.