• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NEED OPINION TO ACCEPT OR NOT

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all I am definitely a green horn here, first thread ever. I have an opportunity to receive a floating timeshare week with a 2 week option at Vidanta Grand Palace Puerto Vallarta. Unfortunately its through a Will.I would be more interested in trading rather than using so would it be smart to accept this or politely saying no thank you. There is no cost to me acquiring this week. Appreciate all opinions.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You upfront have stated you have NO INTEREST in using this timeshare ... DO NOT ACCEPT!

Trading adds cost and time to FIND a place to stay .. membership fees to join a trading platform, exchange fees PLUS the time to HUNT and FIND a place when and where you want to stay.

I am NOT familiar with Mexican TS .. you REALLY NEED to research these resorts. Most are AI resorts which ADDS considerable cost to use yearly. Plus international travel.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
+1

If you're not going to use it, why take it (along with its associated long-term liabilities)?

Many timeshares are available for free. If you want one, first research, and then pick one more compatible with your projected use.

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank-you, it sounds like a No. I wasn't sure if having it just to trade would be a good thing or not. Free doesn't always mean good.Truly appreciate.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Mexico has tons of timeshares, so there is far more supply than demand, which makes it a weak trader.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
[QUOTE="0063f, post: 2092670, member: 101308"} I have an opportunity to receive a floating timeshare week with a 2 week option at Vidanta Grand Palace Puerto Vallarta. Unfortunately its through a Will.I would be more interested in trading rather than using so would it be smart to accept this or politely saying no thank you. There is no cost to me acquiring this week. Appreciate all opinions.[/QUOTE]

Vidanta is RTU ( right to use ) so no deed ( basically a good thing ) and were good for 25 years ( renewable for more / but also your "out" at no cost )
Please look at the contract & post some details of when purchased and MF .
Vidanta is non AI and has really nice resorts -- ( and one of the "best" hard sell TS sales forces )

The contracts can be transferred to immediate family for $0 . I assume you qualify .

I and others in the Mexican forum can answer specific details .

No one here has given you bad advice / but there are nuances that may make it worth keeping ( for a while at least )

ie : from a recent post - parents bought in 1988 and had paid 25 year renewal . MF was $ 475 for a 2 bedroom ( due to contractual % cap on yearly MF increases )
The MF on more recent contracts for the same would be about $ 875 .

Contract since about 2006 often have MF payable on use only ( " no go / no pay " ) a fairly unique feature in the TS universe . This addendum transfers to family BUT NOT
on any resale .

So - if you wish please post some details that are in the original paperwork ( or can be sent to you in a email PDF by Vidanta Member Services )

Last edited:

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="0063f, post: 2092670, member: 101308"} I have an opportunity to receive a floating timeshare week with a 2 week option at Vidanta Grand Palace Puerto Vallarta. Unfortunately its through a Will.I would be more interested in trading rather than using so would it be smart to accept this or politely saying no thank you. There is no cost to me acquiring this week. Appreciate all opinions.

Vidanta is RTU ( right to use ) so no deed ( basically a good thing ) and were good for 25 years ( renewable for more / but also your "out" at no cost )
Please look at the contract & post some details of when purchased and MF .
Vidanta is non AI and has really nice resorts -- ( and one of the "best" hard sell TS sales forces )

The contracts can be transferred to immediate family for $0 . I assume you qualify .

I and others in the Mexican forum can answer specific details .

No one here has given you bad advice / but there are nuances that may make it worth keeping ( for a while at least )

ie : from a recent post - parents bought in 1988 and had paid 25 year renewal . MF was $ 475 for a 2 bedroom ( due to contractual % cap on yearly MF increases )
The MF on more recent contracts for the same would be about $ 875 .

Contract since about 2006 often have MF payable on use only ( " no go / no pay " ) a fairly unique feature in the TS universe . This addendum transfers to family BUT NOT
on any resale .

So - if you wish please post some details that are in the original paperwork ( or can be sent to you in a email PDF by Vidanta Member Services )

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
Family member is going to email me the contract. (32 pages) I will review this and post some info from it soon. Thanks so much for your insight.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I say stay away from it.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you are not going to go there I would not take it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Contract or not ... YOU stated you would NOT be using this, but trading. Listen to ALL the prior posters ... IF YOU are NOT going to use it and stay there almost ALL YEARS, do not accept take this. This FREE has a heavy price to use ... MFs, travel costs, expenses to trade, time to trade, etc.

TELL straight up and make absolutely certain, YOUR FAMILY member understands 20 times over, THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT! Send the contract back un-opened ... refused. Stop being so polite .... you will end up with this in YOUR NAME and be in the same boat as your relatives are now. Trying to DUMP this unwanted timeshare ownership onto someone else.

The relatives are desperate to DUMP this ... you have NO REASON to accept this nor are they being NICE. Your "NO" should be respected BUT the relatives are not feeling it. Once it gets deeded into YOUR NAME, you could spend $1000s of dollars to dump it or get it out of your name. And you will NEVER talk to these people again ... so let them be UNHAPPY at you ... or you will be RAVING MAD at them forever!

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spend some time reading here on TUG and you will know whether this will work for you or not. Politely decline until you are better informed. FWIW, there are much better choices to use as a trader.

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help your giving. I'm definitely leaning towards the No side but now know what to look for to figure out my costs and commitment. Told family member to give me time and not to be surprised if I decline.

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All, so this is what I learned. Studio room sleeps 4 in the RED booking cat. $557 US MF. Can carry over one year to the next. As far as I can tell contract expires March 2020 (3 years) if I have to pay for 2020. Owner was a member of Holiday System International which doesn't look very impressive to me. If only 2 years left I might have taken it and used it once with the carry over, but I'm going to decline the offer. Once again I truly appreciate all the help and insight. I know that I would now Own if not for the TUG family.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool! If we can be of service for ongoing great vacations, c'mon back. There are great rentals here with no strings.

Cynic

Reaction score
For a weeks trader, FIXED (continental) US coastal space during the summer is virtually always going to be the king of kings as far as both ease of use, potential to rent and at least get your MF covered if you can't use, and that all-important trading power.

Look around the aftermarket for a while, carefully, after doing your research. If you look at my other posts, you can see I recommended an example of a real auction I would personally purchase if in the market to another newbie.

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a weeks trader, FIXED (continental) US coastal space during the summer is virtually always going to be the king of kings as far as both ease of use, potential to rent and at least get your MF covered if you can't use, and that all-important trading power.

Look around the aftermarket for a while, carefully, after doing your research. If you look at my other posts, you can see I recommended an example of a real auction I would personally purchase if in the market to another newbie.

Ok will do. Thanks

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hello All, so this is what I learned. Studio room sleeps 4 in the RED booking cat. $557 US MF. Can carry over one year to the next. As far as I can tell contract expires March 2020 (3 years) if I have to pay for 2020. Owner was a member of Holiday System International which doesn't look very impressive to me. If only 2 years left I might have taken it and used it once with the carry over, but I'm going to decline the offer. Once again I truly appreciate all the help and insight. I know that I would now Own if not for the TUG family.

Your details match what Vidanta was selling 7-8 years ago for the Mayan Palace brand -ie the tie in to HSI . Your opinion of HSI from reading ; mirrors that of TUG members who had HSI & dropped them .( as a way to exchange ) .

2 or 3 year’s until renewal sound correct .

Mayan Palace studios have no kitchen amenities ( not even a coffee maker / ie . basically a hotel room ) A one bedroom suite would have a MF of about $750 for this era contract BUT would have a kitchenette and 300 + more square feet ; which greatly adds to usability .

I would think the person who bought this a paid $ 10 K / range .

< PS : In my post above I listed 25 years until renewal ( at 5 x MF / which is in my 2006 contract ) Contracts from 2010 /11 ( or so ) forward are 10 year renewals - but at a lower $ cost . If a buyer / owner stays with Vidanta for 30 years or so - IMO it is likely a wash . >

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No! No! No! I would not accept this offer. Suggestions and the very sound advice from the above posts should guide your final decision.

0063f

TUG Member
Reaction score
T-Dot-Traveller has it absolutely correct. I have declined the offer, and have taken the advice to just use the rental portion of TUG if I choose to use a timeshare resort. Thanks again to everyone's opinions.