• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nevada rescission rules and stat holidays

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Whether or not they honor the rescission, you should revoke the pre-authorized charges to your CC, not just to stiff them, but for the sake of your heirs, should some calamity befall you. If they won't or if your CC company can't do this for you, close the account. They could sue you, but so what - you can threaten Bankruptcy.

The only things I pre-authorize charges for:
1. Local utilities. (B) Insurance premiums. [III] TCC - The Cable Company.

Again, before you do anything that might put you in legal hot-water, I'd chat with a legal pro. first. Cancelling charges and closing the account (as opposed to disputing the charge) might be viewed as an intentional act to defraud or default on payment. This could place you in a bad light or even worse. Just saying, you've done nothing wrong....I'd keep it that way.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

blackdog2883

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My husband spoke to Visa today. Since their cancellation period is 14 days, they are going to dispute the charges for us. So payment has been suspended at this point.
Did I mention that we are Canadian?

blackdog2883

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Here it is August. Here is the update . Visa has gone to bat for us. Every time a charge appeared on the card we phoned Visa and the charges were reversed. The charges then went to arbitration and Visa has won every time so the charges have now disappeared from our credit card statement. Then Visa told us that they were cancelling that card and any further charges will be considered by Visa to be fraud. We have received a couple of form letters asking us to pay the monthly maintenance fee. I sent a registered letter explaining why that was not going to happen. The customer service representative spoke to me on the phone and since then has sent an email every couple of weeks, saying that a resolution will come in the next couple of weeks. The last time was Aug. 2. Since then none of my messages have gone through, although he still seems to be listed as an employee.
The dispute management guidelines for Visa merchants clearly states that for timeshares, the merchant must provide full credit when the cardholder has cancelled a transaction within 14 calendar days. So at this time, we have not paid Wyndham a penny, Visa has agreed with our position and Wyndham seems to be ignoring us. I am wondering what their next move will be...

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Visa has agreed with our position and Wyndham seems to be ignoring us. I am wondering what their next move will be...
I'm impressed that Visa is trying to help and agrees with your position! Thanks for the update. Hope all continues to go well for you.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Good for you. Good to know.

Congrats....hope for a positive resolution soon.

Waiting to read that "Wyndham no longer accepts Visa...."

blackdog2883

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Wyndham finally agreed to cancel our contract. It took a change in the representative who dealt with us and 10 months of patience. Even after the credit card account was cancelled, automatic invoices were sent and then credits were made against the payments that we had never made anyway. A bit puzzling but I assume has to do with the way Wyndham sets up their accounts.
At no time did they actually confirm in writing that we were able to cancel due to the federal holiday falling on the fifth calendar day.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Nevada has a 20 day rule.....

I am confused. If the rescission period is 5 calendar days, then what is the 20 day rule? Which one superceeds the other?

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused. If the rescission period is 5 calendar days, then what is the 20 day rule? Which one superceeds the other?

That was in reference to refunding the down payment, not the rescission period.

They are separate things that have nothing to do with each other.

In this case, it appears the user was canceling the payment made with the credit card before Wyndham had canceled the contract.

blackdog2883

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
That is correct. Visa allowed us to cancel the payment since we notified Wyndham within 14 days.